Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Fun Fact: AQ and Taliban fighters couldn't aim mortars for poo poo in 2002-2003.

Fun Fact 2: There is nothing of value in the middle east outside of the ruins of Solomon's temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Do they even aim? Most of the ones that hit us when I was there were unmanned remote launched (i.e. the setup a tube with a round and then released the round remotely via a phone or something)

The only time they hit anything while I was there, they hit an empty and abandoned Army cardboard shack (those cheap, plywood shacks that the Army setup everywhere).

To be honest, Im not real sure. Every once in a while a shot would land close to the perimeter of what ever loving temporary tent village we were setting up, but for the most part they just made enough noise so the field units could locate and kill them.

They did manage to murder a cot I was sleeping on 15 minutes earlier once. First time lovely broken mission critical equipment saved my life instead of nearly ending it.

Reverand maynard posted:

I had a "welp there go my testicles" moment when I looked down and saw a mortar round between my legs. It turned out to be an illum round dud but there was a solid five seconds between my monkey brain recognizing a mortar round and then recognizing the white body of it.

Don't know if it helps but.. Most everyone I know who took a trip to Afghanistan had a moment where they found themselves straddling UXO wondering if they are going to regret never having kids.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Arc Light posted:

Mind you, the Switchblade can fly from about 60 to 100 mph. Those insurgents were just delaying their fate. But they were treated to the pants-making GBS threads sight of a little remote controlled rocket chasing them down.

The last frame of the ISR feed, taken right before it exploded and printed out for all to see, was of the motorcycle's backseater looking over his shoulder in horror at the rapidly approaching drone.

On the one hand, as a taxpayer, I'm sure we spent more money than those dudes were worth to kill them. On the other hand, we all had a good laugh when the intel LT explained what we were looking at. Good times.

This makes the entire war worth every penny.

Is this footage on google?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Grem posted:

Some details are a little fuzzy cause the VA made me take mad drugs and now my loving memory is swiss cheese. Does anyone else have that? Like I can't even remember the last kids name. I do remember the sergeant, but gently caress man, I have some serious name forgetfulness.

I do, but mine is a result of multiple head injuries.

If you have a history of more than 5 then chances are its not the meds, but the injuries.

• Locked thread