Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

our unit was a ground medivac in a CSH battalion. our HQ and main company were deployed, but we were left out for OIF2. We got our orders for OIF3. We all met up as they were demobbing and we were mobbing in Camp Udari, Kuwait.

i was the lowest ranked person in my company for my deployment, which honestly didnt mean much. we were small and NCO heavy. We got split up once we mobilized into iraq right after new years 2005, attached to a half dozen different FOBs as their medivac drivers.

the first half i spent as a fobbit in speicher, working the csh ER for 12 hours a day for week rotations, spending the rest of my time playing mgs3 over and over again until i could no-kill the game on extreme difficulty. I worked night shift so it was mostly mortar attack fuckups and the weekly shitstravaganza from the people who ate the tuesday night surf and turf at the dfac

half way through i get sent to balad to do a week of retraining bs to get my ceu hours. the class goes from 9-4 each day and the rest of the time its whatever. one of our platoons are there but i stay away from them as much as possible so i can spend my time at the 24 hour px and eating burger king. i take a room without telling anyone in the psychiatric unit's building, meant to be for people who go bonkers and shot their foot or saw jesus in the shower trailer to wait for their flight back to germany. also i watch batman begins 3 nights in a row in the movie theater on base and feel incredible about eating popcorn and watching a movie and not giving a gently caress for 2 hours

finally i get a convoy and spend the rest of my deployment down at FOB Gabe, working an aid station for 1ID and running as medic for the QRF team and base convoys so the officers can shop at the warhorse px. i spend a lot of days from July through September doing gas station duty. Basically farting around for 10 hours on a concrete pad in a million degree heat while the ten billion iraqis wait 6 hours to get their gas. the QRF ran security for it, basically walking up and down the line praying that none of the cars lined up as far as you can see has a bomb in it. i still have nightmares about that.

i turned 21 when i was there, which kinda sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Grem posted:

Most of my stories I have had idiot friends getting themselves or others hurt or killed.

One guy I went through MOS school with was police calling an area outside Tikrit to set up a FOB, E2 work. He found a cool little orb and stuck it in his cargo pocket. Later he picks up a bunch of pipes and starts to carry them away over his shoulder. One slips and falls straight down, hitting the unexploded cluster bomb in his cargo pocket. Now he's dead. He was showing it off to me earlier that day but I had no idea what the gently caress it was.

was that at Danger?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

The only military friends I know who have died were all suicides :smith:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i remember getting off the plane in kuwait and being met by uso people handing out cards for Matthew Maupin

that still fucks me up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ive told the story before, but during our time mobilizing at fort dix they marched us all to the base theater and yelled at us to not get captured after showing the nick berg video on a movie theater screen with 5 other companies

yeah gently caress getting captured

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Grem posted:

FLW is worse than Iraq. I lost a lot of friends to that strip club with the showers.

flw was probably one of the saddest areas ive ever been to

im counting iraq in there

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i spent my first half of my deployment in an air conditioned chu as a complete fobbit, burger king and subway and all at speicher

second half i spent sleeping in the back of an aid station and doing convoys up and down central iraq and playing xbox on the gerry rigged network we made

i 100% preferred the 2nd half and felt bad for people who never got to leave the post

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah i was working 12 hour days (overnights) for 2 weeks at the CSH, then off for a week pulling guard or AHA or DFAC duty or watching TCNs build a lovely latrine while counting steps to report back for the mortar attack that night

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

new friend from school posted:

Started having really vivid daydreams about killing my immediate supervisors toward the end.

i started playing this every day for my lovely room mate in my chu and rap along while dancing and doing the retard voice hoping he'd get the hint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceVpDjYd4k

gently caress that guy but i kinda feel bad about it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

idk if ive listened to since it then but god drat i love this song

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

My brother told me when he was in Kandahar someone was apparently roiding out or taking testosterone boosters when he was working out, but when he ran out and couldn't get more from home he ended up like Bob in Fight Club. I can see it happening but I think my brother was loving with me.

i have a cousin that was a marine that was taking, as my old irish grandmother put it, "gorilla hormones" and they caught him with needles laying out on a health and welfare

he got arrested later on when he was caught jackin it while hiding in the wall peeping at the tanning salon he worked at

• Locked thread