Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGk2EfbD_Ps

Summary from IMDB posted:

After returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life.

John Wick: Chapter 2 is the second installment in the John Wick series. In the first film, John Wick (Keanu Reeves) was established as a retired hitman whose wife had recently died and left him a small dog. Russian mobsters wanted his car, so they took it, beat him up, and killed his dog. This proved to be a very, very bad idea for said Russian mobsters, as the rest of the film followed Wick quickly murdering close to 80 people in his pursuit of revenge.

In the second film, he changes the menu from borscht to spaghetti, as the Camorra decides to piss him off by dragging him out of his second attempt at retirement in the name of a blood debt and blowing up his house (leaving his new dog unharmed, fortunately for everybody). You might be able to predict how well this ends for them.

What makes these movies truly special is, they're actually not just mindless action. There's a very in-depth world behind the plot, with the films setting up an extremely intricate criminal underworld with all kinds of odd jargon and rules and formalities and John himself being a pretty well-realized and unique protagonist. John Wick 2 could even be taken as an argument for a revolution of the proletariat over labor exploitation, though it remains to be seen how the upcoming third film will pay off on what it sets up. Also, Keanu is daddy af in them but that's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Movie was lit AF. *raises lighter*

That's my professional review.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

this movie loving owned. i liked it more than the first one, and that movie was loving amazing.

go see it. that's my professional review.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Cam I have the next one? please ? I need chapter 3 like right now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Definitely put more into blood and brain splatter budget. 7/7

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope that in 3 we have more than 3 people who fully understand that loving with John Wick is a bad idea from the get go. I loved Chapter 2, but more people need to fully appreciate the repercussions of crossing a guy who demonstrably performed his Herculean labors and is just trying to walk away in peace.

More scenes of Smart Illuminati Gangsters explaining just how dumb Stupid Illuminati Gangsters are being is what I'm saying. We know about attacking the Boogeyman and stabbing the Devil in the back, but please more Ian McShane exasperated mythological metaphors.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Those who go after Wick are like Icarus, flying higher and closer to the sun and then the sun shoots them in the head.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hey, be fair. Sometimes he stabs them with various implements, sometimes he puts them in a headlock to get shot by their buddies, sometimes he forces their guns to their head and causes them to shoot themselves. "Stop killing yourself."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just how many times can his wife die? The next movie is gonna be John Wick vs his wife who was never dead because shes a member of the High Table. Was it the high table or high chair?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think tomorrow I will get high as gently caress for the first time in months and go see this, get my face exploded and then walk outside into a rainstorm

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenzarin posted:

Just how many times can his wife die? The next movie is gonna be John Wick vs his wife who was never dead because shes a member of the High Table. Was it the high table or high chair?

Think piece: Is Helen, John Wicks wife, the new Martha and Thomas Wayne of expository flashbacks?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 18, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenzarin posted:

I assume that if he were to see her before they're both out of the assassin game she'll disappear. Not even the saddest gun music will again ply the fates.

MariusLecter posted:

Think piece: Is Helen, John Wicks wife, the new Martha and Thomas Wayne?

Due to the actions of Theon she is the face that launched a thousand bullets.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gyges posted:

Due to the actions of Theon she is the face that launched a thousand bullets.

Glad im not the only one who thought this, pretty sure that's why they chose that name.

E;
Got a text from a friend saying the next movie will definitely reveal Winston is Wicks father. lol

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought about it, but being his father seems a little too on the nose. An uncle or the guy who brought John Wick into the world of Illuminati Crime makes more sense to me.

Also I did not know that Ian McShane is 74. Hope I look that good at 74.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I wish I looked that good now. :swoon:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I like how Charon, the hotel concierge, is just like Charon of mythology, who carries souls from the world of the living into the underworld after accepting a coin. Then of course at the end of this movie, he appears again, dressed in black, to transport Wick to Winston, where he will be excommunicated, a fate that may as well be death in this universe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love the cast in this series. We get two guys from The Wire, Kingpin's right-hand man from Daredevil, Theon, Peter Serafinowicz, John Leguizamo, and Ian McShane. Plus the sequel has the Keanu Konnection with not just Laurence Fishburne from the Matrix but Peter Stormare from Constantine. And then to show off I guess they also get the original goddamn Django.

And I would not really have been excited about Common being in the film because I haven't ever seen him get a meaty enough role to care about him one way or the other but drat, dude is now one half of an instant classic action movie rivalry!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
There are very few things as good as watching a sequel to a film that you love, and finding out that it somehow managed to keep the quality level up and perhaps even enhances the original experience with its various additions.

The pencil scene was glorious. When they talked about it earlier in the film and Theons uncle is talking about how its likely everything they had heard had been watered down because it was too unbelievable, you smile because you know that hes probably right, and then to see it actually put into action was very satisfying. Who even does that!?!?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This film is incredible. It's astonishing that a film can be so self-serious and at the same time completely aware of how hilariously ludicrous it is. I was laughing all the way though the sequence where Wick returns to New York and every third random passerby he sees is another assassin out to get him, leading up to the reveal that the entire homeless population of NY are yet another secret league of assassins. And I was definitely laughing with the film, not at it.

The best action film I've seen in years.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I saw it with a bunch of friends. It was fun. Though I recall at one point, Santino stated in the narration that he had every assassin in New York out to get John Wick, at which point the movie cut to a very recognizable Montreal landmark.

Lobok posted:

I love the cast in this series. We get two guys from The Wire, Kingpin's right-hand man from Daredevil, Theon, Peter Serafinowicz, John Leguizamo, and Ian McShane. Plus the sequel has the Keanu Konnection with not just Laurence Fishburne from the Matrix but Peter Stormare from Constantine. And then to show off I guess they also get the original goddamn Django.

And I would not really have been excited about Common being in the film because I haven't ever seen him get a meaty enough role to care about him one way or the other but drat, dude is now one half of an instant classic action movie rivalry!

The weakest character is whoever that mute woman is, she's basically useless.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 18, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord Lambeth posted:

I saw it with a bunch of friends. It was fun. Though I recall at one point, Santino stated in the narration that he had every assassin in New York out to get John Wick, at which point the movie cut to a very recognizable Montreal landmark.

Ruby Rose is only the weakest character because by the time she does anything but background hench you're already anticipating Common and Keanu's fight. She's also overshadowed by her boss being the Theon of the movie, and she keeps trying to cock block you from seeing John Wick kill that fucker.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I was happy that the movie had a mute assassin because it meant that we got more of those cool stylized subtitles. Those are one of my favorite little touches to these movies.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gyges posted:

Ruby Rose is only the weakest character because by the time she does anything but background hench you're already anticipating Common and Keanu's fight. She's also overshadowed by her boss being the Theon of the movie, and she keeps trying to cock block you from seeing John Wick kill that fucker.

Yeah if the switched the fights around it would have made the third act feel way less week. I also enjoyed the bit where Common and Keanu where shooting each other from across the subway or whatever, with their suppressed pistols

Queering Wheel posted:

I was happy that the movie had a mute assassin because it meant that we got more of those cool stylized subtitles. Those are one of my favorite little touches to these movies.

Yeah those are great.

Small quibble: Right after Wick's house got burnt, the scene with him standing in front of the fire looked really fake.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lord Lambeth posted:

Small quibble: Right after Wick's house got burnt, the scene with him standing in front of the fire looked really fake.

On the other hand it looked like a Renaissance depiction of something apocalyptic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Lambeth posted:

She was like Theon in the first one. You expect something elaborate or especially gruesome for them after the build-up but really they're just trash who get taken down pretty quickly. Seems like the sumo guy was a tougher fight than Ruby Rose, and that was just in a montage.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Guess I'm gonna be the contrarian and say I didn't like it as much as the first one. All of the fight scenes felt really samey and there was nothing approaching the sublime perfection of the nightclub shootout from 1. Whiny Italian guy isn't nearly as good a villain as the Russians, the expansion of the ~mythology~ didn't do anything for me, and having Ruby initially seem to be the big end-fight but no wait its actually Common wait it is actually Ruby was really scattershot and poorly paced.

There were high points, mostly Laurence Fishburne's acting and the subway fight between Wick and Common. While its not as good as 1, its still a well-made action movie that's a nice antidote to most of the absolute garbage that comprises American action movies. But if they try to keep coasting along with the same approach for 3, its going to feel really stale.

We also never see Ruby even a little naked which is disappointing cause she was cute as f.

EDIT: Oh, and I realize that Keanu Reeves isn't the Greatest Actor Unto Life or anything but could you seriously not get a better take for his final line?

1stGear fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 18, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

If you haven't seen Man of Tai Chi with Reeves playing the bad guy you should. It's pretty good.

I really enjoyed this sequel although I though the bullet proof suit was a bit much.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
We had active shooter training at work yesterday before I saw this and the whole time I was drumming my fingers on the table wondering how many fuckers John Wick was going to blow the brains out of this time around.

But yeah, loving great. It even avoided peaking early like the first one did with the nightclub fight - my favorite scene in 2 was nearer the end, where Wick is fighting all the different assassins and it keeps cutting between each sequential fight like they're happening simultaneously. I don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

It wasn't perfect (the catacombs fight went on too long, and upgrading to the AR-15 then the shotgun just felt pointless because it wasn't like Wick wouldn't have murdered ALL those guys with just a pistol/his bare hands) but it was close enough.

And having Keanu murder his way through a dozen Gavin Mcinnes lookalikes was the icing on the cake

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

You, that's what this movie was missing, more male gaze.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Reminded me a bit of the The Raid 2, in a good way.

I was weary of them showing Wick killing with a pencil because The Dark Knight had such an iconic pencil scene. I originally felt it would be stronger to keep that a myth, but Wick killing with it was one of the few times during the movie where the audience gasped at the violence so it was very well done.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Haven't seen it, deeply enjoyed the first one.

Word on the street is my favorite actor of all time, - no not Ian Mcshane, though he's up there - Peter Stormare is in this and he's great. Confirm/deny?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Peter Stormare is in this and as with everything he delivers and steals it with whatever time he's given.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

darth_pizza posted:

Haven't seen it, deeply enjoyed the first one.

Word on the street is my favorite actor of all time, - no not Ian Mcshane, though he's up there - Peter Stormare is in this and he's great. Confirm/deny?

He's in the beginning as a link to the first film and as a way to introduce or re-introduce the myth of John Wick. He even says some lines verbatim that were said in the first film. But that's it, he's only in the beginning.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Another thing I liked is that Keanu is the only person I have ever heard speak in several different languages and keep their cadence, tone, and general vocal styling absolutely identical.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
Just got back from it. Very, very good. I love how they make references to the mythology without ever outright explaining anything. It's clear enough from context without beating you over the head with it. I also liked that I couldn't predict how the movie would go. I'm usually the type to just sit back and enjoy a movie instead of trying to anticipate it, but a lot of movies make it EXTREMELY obvious what's about to happen. This didn't.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Loved it. Thought it was better than the first one and I liked how they built on the world. I also appreciated how economical the dialogue was. No over done exposition while still getting every ounce of information out precisely.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DuhSal posted:

Loved it. Thought it was better than the first one and I liked how they built on the world. I also appreciated how economical the dialogue was. No over done exposition while still getting every ounce of information out precisely.

Oh boy, Wick hanging up on Santino just like he did with Vigo when they start bloviating. :allears:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1stGear posted:

Guess I'm gonna be the contrarian and say I didn't like it as much as the first one. All of the fight scenes felt really samey and there was nothing approaching the sublime perfection of the nightclub shootout from 1. Whiny Italian guy isn't nearly as good a villain as the Russians, the expansion of the ~mythology~ didn't do anything for me, and having Ruby initially seem to be the big end-fight but no wait its actually Common wait it is actually Ruby was really scattershot and poorly paced.

There were high points, mostly Laurence Fishburne's acting and the subway fight between Wick and Common. While its not as good as 1, its still a well-made action movie that's a nice antidote to most of the absolute garbage that comprises American action movies. But if they try to keep coasting along with the same approach for 3, its going to feel really stale.

We also never see Ruby even a little naked which is disappointing cause she was cute as f.

EDIT: Oh, and I realize that Keanu Reeves isn't the Greatest Actor Unto Life or anything but could you seriously not get a better take for his final line?

I'll echo you.

The first movie was just so incredibly good. 2 is still a solid movie.

The impossible mission of this one felt way too easy compared to all the build up. If it wasn't for the double cross Wick would have been in and out with minimal effort.

Also the bulletproof suit kind of felt like a bridge too far

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
John Wick 4: the prequel mission: The impossible mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Movie was good as hell, only a couple minor thoughts:

The 7 million dollar contract to kill John Wick seemed really low for a top member of the world-encompassing Illuminati Mafia to offer in order to save his own life. He must have been worth billions? But I guess it made every chump on the street shoot at John in public so hey what's the difference.

The bulletproof suit was overused and getting into James Bond gadget territory which is silly.

I think a car chase placed about 2/3rds of the way through the movie would have been nice to break up the formula a bit (but the formula owns so I can't complain too much).

The tattooed switchboard babes had to be some producer's specific fetish, right? :v:

Quibbles aside I can't wait for a sequel or two. Hopefully the success of this movie will inspire more directors to reject the god awful overused shaky cam and cutting-ten-times-a-second garbage that's plagued so many action movies over the last fifteen years.

• Locked thread