Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
alcohol is what's known as a dirty drug, much like tricyclics although in more of a brute force rather than highly flexible sense

it binds to opioid receptors which contribute to its good feelings and drive for people to drink more. give people opioid blocking drugs and people stop drinking early in the evening and don't automatically professed to getting trashed. it's quite possible that there is a significant aspect where it's acting as a solvent and destabilising cell membranes .. holy poo poo

also one of the least potent drugs we all know is paracetamol/apap and the max dose is like 4g in a day but even a single standard drink is 10g of ethanol so a dozen beers is 120g of drug. it's an absolute miracle your liver can deal with it at all. the liver enzymes are acting under total saturation hence why alcohol is metabolised in a linear sense and not a half life sense like everything else

i also highly suspect that eating food especially fatty food will put ah extra huge load in the liver which can make hangovers worse i suspect

alcohol metabolism also inhibits gluconwogeneis which is wheee te liver makes glucose for the body and this is the primary risk for babies who drink, they can go hypoglycaemic and die

fructose also has a similar effect on the liver but no where near as bad. both can contribute to fatty liver

tips for drinking healthily

when you're not drinking (during the day) eat highly nutritious high fivre foods like bean salads and other cool things.. then we drink for evening stop eating and only drink. if you're not drinking beer add water. don't eat

get up after night and have a coffee.. and maybe pain relief

alcohol ties up enzymes that primarily metabolise paracetamol/apap and shunts apap metabolism down a path which produces a hepatotoxic metabolite which is why you're not meant to take any while drinking.

it's absorbed through the stomach lining so can get yo/ drunk like 7 minutes ??

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

<3

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm
now drinking a beer

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

echinopsis posted:

i'm
now drinking a beer

same

its good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also i drink higher strength beer on normal days but if i am in party environment i slow
down to your one standard per can and i last longer

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

it binds to opioid receptors which contribute to its good feelings and drive for people to drink more. give people opioid blocking drugs and people stop drinking early in the evening and don't automatically professed to getting trashed.

thats interesting cause i get no pleasurable effects from opiates but i really really like alcohol to the point where i generally avoid it now

brains are weird man

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i had a shock top with my dinner tonight, op

the dinner was ribs and pulled pork

lol

Improbable Lobster posted:

their prize is one (1) rip off a bong that's shaped like an amiga

i laughed ol at this too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
tomorrow i'm gonna crush some code after i crush up some amphetamines and snort them

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

echinopsis posted:

also i drink higher strength beer on normal days but if i am in party environment i slow
down to your one standard per can and i last longer

a microdose beer

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cold on a Cob posted:

tomorrow i'm gonna crush some code after i crush up some amphetamines and snort them

good poo poo

i dont like them as a party drug, but i love every few weeks taking a decently high dosage and owning poo poo harder than i got owned itt

doing that rn, on 25mg and i can feel the beginning of the comeup so im gonna start work on a project but idk which yet.

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i was just kidding i would never do hard drugs because i'm enough of a fuckup without chemically enhancing my tendencies thereof

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
speed for when you're drunk as gently caress imo

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

uppers are real good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i am already regretting not bringing my weed to mississauga

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm coming up on a year of sobriety

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

welcome to my living nightmare, lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

welcome to my living nightmare, lol

:rip:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i dont drink tbh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i also highly suspect that eating food especially fatty food will put ah extra huge load in the liver which can make hangovers worse i suspect
Hmm idk I usually feel better the next morning if I eat a fatty food after drinking. Usually some kebab or gyros or summat. Also breakfast with some eggs & bacon helps.

My goto hangover drink is ayran, which is a turkish yoghurt drink it contains water, salt, proteins and fat. So rverything you need. It's also delicious.

quote:

Do you think it's better to use paracetamol (bad for liver) or an nsaid (bad for stomach) after drinking?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

spankmeister posted:

Do you think it's better to use paracetamol (bad for liver) or an nsaid (bad for stomach) after drinking?

best is to have another drink

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
was drinkin beer like :smug:, now takin pain relievers like :stare:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm writing code today and i just took 400mg of ibuprofen because my wrists and hands feel like garbage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. clear case of drugs being bad, don't keep putting stress on your wrists if they start acting up, need to get that looked at and/or change up how you work. like the back one of those things you can gently caress up badly once and then never quite get troublefree again

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

p. clear case of drugs being bad, don't keep putting stress on your wrists if they start acting up, need to get that looked at and/or change up how you work. like the back one of those things you can gently caress up badly once and then never quite get troublefree again

have you tried LSD?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Hmm idk I usually feel better the next morning if I eat a fatty food after drinking. Usually some kebab or gyros or summat. Also breakfast with some eggs & bacon helps.

My goto hangover drink is ayran, which is a turkish yoghurt drink it contains water, salt, proteins and fat. So rverything you need. It's also delicious.

i could go for a kefir microdose

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i already changed my workspace to accommodate as much as possible, i have arthritis, and i have to work to live, hth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, that is a bit more grim then, figured you were being some career guy who soldiers through preventable pains until he messes something up proper, sorry :/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
no worries

i am being careful to not make things worse and it still beats actual manual labour in terms of how hosed up it's gonna leave my body

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i tell people i got my repetitive stress desk injuries "during the war"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the great internet flame war of 2016

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

this is the only good thing you posted

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

interesting... i wonder if food making it worse for me is a diabetic thing? anyway I drank like 15 beers last night and was sweet this morning. no dinner. just sweet sweet beer. drinking fitness requires training.

lmao a girl i met on tinder was on the phone to me during the night and i fell alseep while she was talking to me and she had to hang up and call again to wake me up. wow im a winner

quote:

well realism here.. paracetamol is bad for the liver but the liver easily recovers unless its getting a total pounding. worst hangover in a year? take some paracetamol and ibuprofen and codeine if you got it

and so nsaids right, reduce your bodies ability to protect itself against its own stomach acid. this is a minor issue though. the real problem with nsaids is their effect on the kidneys in a state of dehydration. why people shouldnt use them and then exericse. clearly alcohol causes dehydration so from that point of view is bad

but the good news is driunking lotsa water basically negates both those side effects

i also recommend ondansetron if you can get it, and prochlorperazine. sedating antihistamines like diphenhydramine or promethazine are probably good, but only for making yourself sleep off the hangover rather than lie in bed awake suffering through it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

alcohol is what's known as a dirty drug, much like tricyclics although in more of a brute force rather than highly flexible sense

it binds to opioid receptors which contribute to its good feelings and drive for people to drink more. give people opioid blocking drugs and people stop drinking early in the evening and don't automatically professed to getting trashed. it's quite possible that there is a significant aspect where it's acting as a solvent and destabilising cell membranes .. holy poo poo

also one of the least potent drugs we all know is paracetamol/apap and the max dose is like 4g in a day but even a single standard drink is 10g of ethanol so a dozen beers is 120g of drug. it's an absolute miracle your liver can deal with it at all. the liver enzymes are acting under total saturation hence why alcohol is metabolised in a linear sense and not a half life sense like everything else

alcohol metabolism also inhibits gluconwogeneis which is wheee te liver makes glucose for the body and this is the primary risk for babies who drink, they can go hypoglycaemic and die

fructose also has a similar effect on the liver but no where near as bad. both can contribute to fatty liver

tips for drinking healthily

when you're not drinking (during the day) eat highly nutritious high fivre foods like bean salads and other cool things.. then we drink for evening stop eating and only drink. if you're not drinking beer add water. don't eat

alcohol ties up enzymes that primarily metabolise paracetamol/apap and shunts apap metabolism down a path which produces a hepatotoxic metabolite which is why you're not meant to take any while drinking.

it's absorbed through the stomach lining so can get yo/ drunk like 7 minutes ??

good post echi

It's really hard to explain to people that alcohol fucks up your bod in one hundred small ways

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pr0zac posted:

thats interesting cause i get no pleasurable effects from opiates but i really really like alcohol to the point where i generally avoid it now

brains are weird man

iirc you don't get opioid euphoria but salvia and other kappa opioid things still give you dissociative effects

Alcohol is speedy as gently caress for me, a couple shots of hard liquor feels like I did a line of coke, it's weird

ethanol is basically a one drug speedball, too bad it's so rough on your body

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

how long are you in the saug? you should've said something in the toranno thread I would've put together a meet

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spankmeister posted:

It's the salt making you feel better. A magnesium / calcium / potassium pill plus a glass of water will cure almost any hangover

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I sometimes use ORS packets to rehydrate lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moist von Lipwig posted:

how long are you in the saug? you should've said something in the toranno thread I would've put together a meet

about a week, just staying with my parents during my college's reading week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a nutty thought: rather than juggle a variety of drug combinations to prevent long lasting liver or other organ damage you could just not drink

• Locked thread