Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

SpaceClown posted:

as well as long term usage causing nervous system damage
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232277/

ended up wasting 45 minutes reading about smoking heroin cause of this just being a 17 year old case study about a single individual and wondering more about the underlying issue

seems like it is probably not caused by heroin but a contaminant or maybe something created very rarely when heating it, researchers still aren't sure, but: "The primary hypothesis is that leukoencephalopathy is caused by a contaminant in the heroin or a combustion by-product"

also weirdly despite smoking heroin first starting in se asia the brain damage thing is apparently super super rare there with the first known case being in 2015 but even that having unusual differences compared to the normal manifestation

kind of an interesting unsolved mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

it binds to opioid receptors which contribute to its good feelings and drive for people to drink more. give people opioid blocking drugs and people stop drinking early in the evening and don't automatically professed to getting trashed.

thats interesting cause i get no pleasurable effects from opiates but i really really like alcohol to the point where i generally avoid it now

brains are weird man

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

SpaceClown posted:

Dont drink

ok

• Locked thread