Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Conventional wisdom in the NFL says that you need at least three years to properly judge a draft class. This makes sense for a lot of reasons -- rookie contracts are expiring soon, and there is enough time for high-curve positions like cornerback and offensive line to separate themselves from the pack.

With that in mind, let's take a look back three years ago, at the 2014 draft, and see how those picks worked out.

Previous threads: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

Seattle Seahawks

Round 1, Pick 32: Traded to Minnesota Vikings for 40th and 108th picks

This was the pick that got the Vikings Teddy Bridgewater. Seattle then packaged the 40th pick and a fifth-rounder to the Lions to move down five spots, which brings us to ...

Round 2, Pick 45: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Showed flashes of brilliance, particularly at the end of last season, when he stepped up in place of an injured Tyler Lockett. Unfortunately, severe injuries derailed his first two years and sapped some key development time. PRich could very well end up a late bloomer, but he has to stay on the field for a sustained period before I can give this a kinder grade. Grade: C+

Round 2, Pick 64: Justin Britt, OT, Missouri

Played his rookie year at right tackle, where he was poo poo. Got moved to left guard in 2015, where he was also poo poo. Got moved to center in 2016, where he was actually pretty decent. Right now is the only player on our O-line who can qualify as "league average." Those first two years, tho. Grade: B-

Round 4, Pick 108: Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA

Marsh has mostly settled in as rotation/special teams guy. I guess he's okay? I don't pay much attention to special teams coverage. For a fourth-round pick, that's fine. Grade: C+

Round 4, Pick 123: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama

I remember being excited about this pick because Norwood was kind of a "name" guy from Bama and he fell further than I expected. Turns out he was actually Real Bad and barely saw the field. Got traded to the Panthers in 2015 and has bounced around the league as a random body since then. Grade: F

Round 4, Pick 132: Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

Another special teams guy. You might remember him from the playoffs as that guy who committed a boneheaded holding penalty, negating a huge Seahawks punt return and ultimately swinging the game in Atlanta's favor. rear end in a top hat. Grade: C-

Round 5, Pick 172: Jimmy Staten, DT, Middle Tennessee State

Sucked, cut in preseason. Grade: F

Round 6, Pick 199: Garrett Scott, OT, Marshall

Had a heart condition that ended his football career before it started. Grade: :smith:

Round 6, Pick 208: Eric Pinkins, S, San Diego State

Spent time on and off the practice squad, never did anything of note. Grade: Whatever

Round 7, Pick 227: Kiero Small, RB, Arkansas

Sucked, cut in camp. Grade: Who cares it's a seventh-round rando

Overall

Woof. This is easily the weakest draft of the John Schneider/Pete Carroll era. The Seahawks were just coming off a Super Bowl win and the main focus was on re-signing their core players. We can see why they'd play it safe with the draft and trade out of the first round, hoping to find some more hidden gems in the later rounds. Unfortunately, almost none of their lottery tickets hit, with Britt being the only starting-caliber player out of this group. Richardson might join him if he ever stays healthy (big if). With the 2017 conversation centering around Seattle's lack of quality depth, it's easy to point at this draft as a big culprit. Too many misfires for me to rate it favorably.

GRADE: D+

So how did your team do in the 2014 draft? Hopefully better than mine.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Darqueze Dennard, CB

Honestly, we don't really know. Was supposed to play slot but he sucked there and got replaced by Josh Shaw. He's supposed to be an outside CB but we're about to pay Dre Kirkpatrick and still have Adam Jones. When he has played outside, it didn't look particularly great but he wasn't terrible. It's like they overplanned at CB. Grade: C+

Round 2, Pick 23 (55) Jeremy Hill, RB

loving ruled year 1, has sucked extremely hard ever since. Grade: D+

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Will Clarke, DE

He's fine as a rotational guy, we could probably re-sign him cheap and keep a steady hand. I'm into it. Grade: B

Round 4, Pick 11 (111) Russell Bodine, C

This was only the third time in Bengals history that they traded up. They were afraid Russell Bodine would be drafted. I wish he was drafted by someone else. He has gotten better every year but that progress has been from complete poo poo to not complete poo poo to a little bit more not complete poo poo. He's started every game and that's a plus in a sad, sad way. Is, in fact, a dumb baby back bitch. Grade: D-

Round 5, Pick 24 (164) AJ McCarron, QB

gently caress him. Grade: F

Round 6, Pick 36 (212) Marquis Flowers, OLB

Special teams guy, plays well when he's in the game in short bursts. Grade: C+

Round 7, Pick 24 (239) James Wright, WR

Bengals drafted a guy that didn't play WR at all his senior year because of Odell & Jarvis. Most thought it was a silly pick. Turns out, he's good! Great on special teams, will make a dope catch. He tore his knee real bad at the end of the first year and lost his second year because of it, but came back pretty decent in year three. He might be a casualty next year due to definitely drafting a WR and concerns with his knee, but he's been cool the whole time he's been a Bengal. Grade: B

Round 7, Pick 37 (252) Lavelle Westbrooks, CB

Waived. Grade: F

We picked up Ryan Hewitt, our H-Back, undrafted. He's great. Grade: A

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cincinnati Bengals

Round 1, Pick 24: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
A combination of injury and lack of earning the trust to be put on the field has rendered this a questionable pick in hindsight. Realistically he is probably just going to go find out if he can play somewhere else I guess? Maybe something will happen in 2017 but I doubt it. Feels like a wasted pick even if it maybe wasn't or something
Grade: D

Round 2, Pick 55: Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
A limited straight-line runner who has apparently been asked, for the most part, not to play that way, and was then blamed for his lack of success. Or maybe it's his fault, in which case, gently caress him. Struggled with ball control and requires a lead blocker. Hasn't always looked like he's going as hard as he can. Tries noticeably harder near the endzone. I would imagine he'll be moving on too barring a very good year and I am not bothered by that
Grade: C

Round 3, Pick 88: Will Clarke, DE, WVU
A late bloomer thanks to the way the Bengals do things. He's come on as a nice rotational guy who has had a tendency to look like he should start but would probably be a bad starter. I would like to re-sign him over the picks from Rounds 1 and 2.
Grade: B with room to grow with how slowly he's been integrated

Round 4, Pick 111: Russell Bodine, C, UNC
One of the most argued-about players that no one has ever heard of in the league. I think he is poo poo, but not the worst 4th round pick ever. hope u are ok after reading this.
Grade: D+

Round 5, Pick 164: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
intangibles. friend of a mentally challenged minority. A Backup. sort of viable trade bait but nothing will probably get done there
Grade: Scionix+

gently caress the rest, you get what you get in the 6th and 7th and they did good there all things considered

Overall Grade: C

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Houston Texans

Round 1, Pick 1: Jadeveon Clowney
Probably the biggest example of why you wait three years before you grade a draft pick. For the first two years of Clowney's pro career, he was hurt a bunch and missed, like, 24 games total. Year 3 he stayed healthy, turned a corner and became a Pro Bowler. If he and Watt can play in the same defense for a full 16-game season, the sky's the limit for Mike Vrabel & company. With the injuries in mind, I'd really like to give an incomplete grade, but I guess I'm going with B- just because he's shown he can be a star when he's physically able to do so.

Round 2, Pick 33: Xavier Su'a-Filo
We can talk all we want about how he's not a quarterback, but as a guy who we drafted he's progressed well. Having started 15 games last season, he's doing an OK job. C+, mainly because he's not a QB.

Round 3, Pick 65: C.J. Fiedorowicz
Very good TE. If you saw the Texans play last year, you saw a lot of Fiedorowicz. B

Round 3, Pick 83: Louis Nix
Never played a game due with the Texans due to knee surgeries. That's right, plural. F

Round 4, Pick 135: Tom Savage
Well, we drafted a QB in the draft at least. In every season with the Texans so far, he's gotten hurt in different ways. C-

Round 6, Pick 177: Jeoffrey Pagan
Did nothing of note, but managed to be on the roster for two seasons. D+

Round 6, Pick 181: Alfred Blue
Our number two running back. When Arian Foster went down in 2015, he became the workhorse of the running attack and managed to do pretty well for himself. Easily, EASILY the best value pick of the draft in 2014 for us. A

Round 6, Pick 211: Jay Prosch
Still with the team, so obviously he's doing something right. B

Round 7, Pick 216: Andre Hal
See above. B

Round 7, Pick 256: Lonnie Ballentine
Mr. Irrelevant. Doesn't matter

Overall

Looking back, this is probably one of the strongest draft classes the Texans have ever put together. Yet, we're going to spend the rest of our days wondering what would have been if Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr ended up going to Houston. If we take that out of the equation, however, we see only one true bust and two late round never-weres compared with a superstar in Clowney, several key role-players, and good depth that was desperately needed after a 2-14 campaign the previous year. If the Texans drafted like this every year...well, we still wouldn't win a Super Bowl, but we'd get closer.

B+

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

:siren: :nms: WARNING, READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL :nms: :siren:

Cleveland Browns

Round 1, Pick 8: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

First the Cleveland Browns traded the number 4 pick to move down to 9. Then they traded up one spot to take this guy.

Players the Browns could have had instead of the worst first rounder in a year with Johnny Manziel and, with the pick from such a 'great trade', the worst first rounder of the 2015 draft in Cameron Erving:
Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Khalil Mack
Anthony Barr

Grade: To give this an F is an insult to the Fs.

Round 1, Pick 22: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

The Browns traded up, fearing missing out on Johnny and instead having to settle for Teddy Bridgewater or, god forbid, Derek Carr, in order to take the second-worst first rounder of the 2014 draft.

Grade: This is also an insult to the Fs.

Round 2, Pick 35: Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada

Perfectly servicable OT when healthy, who has sadly had big injury problems since late 2015.

Grade: C

Round 3, Pick 71: Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa

He's nothing special, but I'll give him bonus points for staying healthy and because the defense is so lacking in talent that he is at least someone who doesn't need to massively improve to justify their spot over the next couple years.

Grade: B

Round 3, Pick 98: Terrence West, RB, Towson

Leading rusher for the Browns his rookie year with a mighty like 700 yards, got put in the doghouse and gotten rid of the next year, is now a Raven.

Grade: F

Round 4, Pick 127: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

Was a backup, got cut in the latest New Regime Purge, was not good enough to start on a team that lost to the Browns last year, is now a Seahawk I think?

Grade: F

Round Infinity, Pick Non-Existant: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State

By far the best player we got of the rookie class. Is I believe the first Cleveland Brown since Kevin Mack to put up over 700 yards rushing in two straight years, and had almost 1000 yards rushing last year.

Grade: A++

Overall: The best player we got was an undrafted free agent running back who is probably not all that notable. The haul we got for passing on guys like Khalil Mack was spent on a guy who would not make the average NFL team, let alone start.

F-

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh God I just remembered this Browns draft. Traded up multiple times to land the two most embarrassing first-round picks of the decade.

This whole draft is basically Peak Browns.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'll do the Chargers 2014 one real quick:
Round 1, pick 25: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU.

Verrett's been a somewhat up and down pick for me just because of his injury history - his season's ended early two out of the last three years (shoulder and knee injuries) That being said, when he's healthy, he's pretty easily a top 10 corner in the league, with incredible agility and recovering speed, not to mention fine hands. The one year he stayed mostly healthy in 2015, teams didn't even bother throwing in his direction because he usually had his man completely locked up. (and of course they picked on Brandon Flowers who was terrible that season)

I'll say.. A-. When he's healthy, he's a terrific player. it's just a matter of staying on field for him. Sky's the limit otherwise.

Round 2, Pick 50: Jeremiah Attachou, LB, Georgia Tech

One of Tom Telesco's customary trade ups. Attachou is a lot more up and down: he looked good his first two years in the league - not necessarily a super star, but one of those guys that would be a great complimentary pass rusher if he continued developing. For whatever reason though, he didn't see the field very much in 2016. I'll go with a C+, because he looked good his first two years and stalled pretty hard this year. 2017 will probably be the make or break year for him.

Round 3, pick 89: Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame

Was drafted to be converted to a center and be Nick Hardwick's heir apparent. It didn't work out - Watt just wasn't a physically strong enough dude to anchor against most interior pass rushers as either a G or C, and injuries plagued him quite a lot on top of it. Part of the godawful hydra head of centers the Chargers trotted out in 2014 and 15. Wish this pick worked out, but unfortunately it's an F.

Round 5, Pick 165: Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas State

Built exactly to be the big 2-gap NT the Chargers needed since Jamal Williams left, for whatever reason he just hasn't seen the field much - I dunno if it's because the coaching staff didn't trust him or whatever. He's an adequate run stuffer and doesn't give much as a pass rusher. C- I guess.

Rounds 6 & 7: Marion Grice & Tevon Reese, Arizona St and Baylor

I'm lumping these two with each other because neither of them played a regular season down for the Chargers - both got cut in the preseason. I think Grice ended up on the Cardinals at one point but otherwise just whatever.

Overall: Woof. Verrett is a great player when he's healthy and Attaochu has shown a lot of promise, but man, this draft class really sucked aside for those two picks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Benne posted:

Oh God I just remembered this Browns draft. Traded up multiple times to land the two most embarrassing first-round picks of the decade.

This whole draft is basically Peak Browns.

It got mostly solid grades from the usual draft "expert" suspects at the time, too. Mostly B range with the odd A and C.

It was actually an ebola patient's anus.

e: Analysis!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2014-nfl-draft-browns-top-round-1-winners-and-losers/

quote:

Winners
Ray Farmer, GM, Cleveland -- There was tons of pressure on Farmer to pull off a big day in his first draft, with him holding a pair of first-round picks after his predecessor sent Trent Richardson packing. He delivered in a big way, not only landing his franchise quarterback (Johnny Manziel), the consensus top cornerback in the draft (Justin Gilbert) but also nabbing an extra first-round pick in the process.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 18, 2017

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Carolina Panthers

Round 1, Pick 28: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Great rookie season. Emerged as a big time red zone target early on. Paired well with Cam Newton because his size allowed him to make up for some of Cam's high and erratic throws. Missed all of the 2015 Super Bowl season with an ACL injury. Came back in 2016 and did not look like a promising young receiver going into his third year, but some of that may be attributed to injuries on the OL and Cam clearly regressing with his throwing mechanics.

B+

Round 2, Pick 60: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
You don't find great pass-rushing ends in the late second round, so I like the production that we have gotten from Ealy at this spot. He is a rotational player who has contributed good minutes and come up with some big plays from time-to-time. He was our best player in the Super Bowl two years ago and would have been MVP if we had won. He is second round pick who does not consistently start though, so that limits his grade.

B+

Round 3, Pick 92: Trai Turner, G, LSU
One of the best mid-round picks of the draft. Turner has been fantastic from the start. He was a top rookie and has made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons.

A+

Round 4, Pick 128: Tre Boston, S, North Carolina
I like that we got a starter from a late fourth round pick, but Boston is a weak link in a weak secondary. Kurt Coleman showed a lot more playmaking ability at FS two years ago, even if he was also a liability in coverage. Boston is a prime candidate to lose his job going into next season, as Carolina will either be drafting or shopping for a safety.

C-

Round 5, Pick 148: Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State
This is why you wait three years to grade a draft pick? Last year he looked like he was coming into his own as our third corner. Then he broke his leg in the playoffs. Then he went into the season as our #1 corner. Then we cut him halfway through the year. It's a shame because he looked like the real deal. That said, two solid seasons of back up play at an important position is decent from a late fifth rounder.

B-

Round 6, Pick 204: Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford
Got hurt and never played. Drafted as training camp fodder.

F

Undrafted: Andrew Norwell, G, Ohio State
Starting guard since his rookie season. Paired with Turner and Pro Bowl Center Ryan Kahlil, he has given Carolina one of the better run-blocking interior lines in the NFL. I would give him an A if he was a mid-round draft pick, but as an undrafted player he obviously gets:

A++

Undrafted: Corey Brown, WR, Ohio State
Deep threat that gets on the field a lot despite the fact that we have the same player in Ted Ginn Jr. Can't complain with the production from an undrafted player, although he will likely be squeezed out at some point since Benjamin, Funchess and Ginn are going to make the roster and we are going to keep looking for a true #1.

B-

Overall, fantastic depth. You can't complain from the sheer number of starts and minutes that Carolina has gotten from this group. However one complaint would be that despite picking late, the star power isn't really there from our first two rounders. You could make a case that Benjamin-Ealy was a mistake, but overall I think Carolina got players who rate well for the slot they were drafted in.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How bad can a draft be for a team that wins 2 of the next 3 Superbowls?

1-29 Dominique Easley, DT. - A very highly rated pass rusher who had torn both ACL's in college. He played a bit as a sub pass rusher for the Patriots, but rarely many snaps, and ended his first two years on IR. Dumped and currently a useful sub for the Rams.

D

2-62 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB - A backup quarterback who failed at the one job he was given, holding down the fort for 4 games to start this season. He's looked okay, and will probably be traded for some draft pick this year, but, for comparison's sake, he was drafted right between Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. Maybe he's secretly a franchise QB, but I have severe doubts.

C

4-105 Bryan Stork, C - An okay center who got concussed and promptly lost his job to a different okay center. Never recovered from that and is out of the league.

D

4-130 James White, RB - A bit of a revelation this year as he morphed into more of the Kevin Faulk / Shane Vereen back he was drafted as. He was a bit of a scapegoat his first two years, but he's turned into a very solid contributor who just won a superbowl, so uh.

A

4-140 Cameron Fleming, T - A backup tackle who's played a healthy amount and can't block anything. Often played as a 6th lineman, where he is horrific in pass protection. Just a god awful player.

F

6-179 Jon Halapio, OL - I have no idea who this is and he never made it out of training camp

F

6-198 Zach Moore, DE - Played one year as a sub, had a forced fumble, played some ST. Got cut and bounced around the league. That's fine for a 6th.

C+

6-206 - Jemea Thomas CB - Didn't make it out of training camp, bounced around the league on practice squads the last three years.

D

7-244 - Jeremy Gallon, WR - Didn't make it out of training camp, appears to have spent some time in the CFL // Arena leagues.

F

This was a very bad draft that produced few football players and will end up with a decent receiving back and a backup that'll be traded for some picks 4 years later then when a 2nd was spent on him.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If Garoppolo didn't get hurt I would venture to say that the Patriots would have gotten a top 10 pick for him. But because he only played two games, it will probably be whatever the equivalent of a late first / early second is. Which isn't bad, to be fair. A lot of that is sheer luck though, because this looks like one of the worst QB drafts in recent memory, and it just so happens that a lot of teams need a QB, so those two things will drive up their asking price.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Kalli posted:

4-105 Bryan Stork, C - An okay center who got concussed and promptly lost his job to a different okay center. Never recovered from that and is out of the league.

this dude won a college championship, and then started the super bowl as a rookie. and won. what a fuckin whirlwind

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tennessee Titans

Round 1, Pick 11: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Franchise Left Tackle. A little bit of the knucklehead but doesn't do anything wrong the refs just have it in on him

A+
Round 2, Pick 54: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

No longer on the team (didn't get a fair chance with the line that was in front of him but that's just my opinion)

F

Round 4, Pick 112: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn St.

A solid defensive lineman

B+
Round 4, Pick 122: Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming

a back safety nothing special

C+
Round 5, Pick 151: Avery Williamson, ILB, Kentucky

Starting ilb very good against the run and tackling

A+

Round 6, Pick 178: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU

No longer on team put selfies ahead of the game smdh

F

Overall

Got two really good players and one solid one can't complain too much.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

This is a placeholder for the Oakland Raiders one when I can do it later, but Ill start by saying

Overall

Raiders Bitch

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, it's not good. The Bills are on deck!

Round 1, Pick 4(from Browns) - WR Sammy Watkins
E.J. Manuel was coming off an injury-riddled but thoroughly mediocre rookie season(it would turn out to be his best football by far, but I digress), and Doug Whaley was going to get him weapons, dammit! So he packaged a pair of firsts to move up four spots and snag the top wide receiver in the draft. Sounds...okay? Except this draft was loaded with receiver talent. In fact, Mike Evans would have been available at #8. As would Odell Beckham Jr. I mention them because they have inarguably had better careers(thus far) than Sammy Watkins. To be fair, Sammy Watkins has been baller, but he's also been hurt constantly. Grade: C-

Round 2, Pick 44(from Rams)- OT Cyrus Kouandjio
Apparently, only two of our players were drafted with draft picks we had going into the draft. Well, anyway, Cyrus Kouandjio was a big physical specimen who needed a lot of work. And that was an understatement. He basically spent his first two years on the bench, unable to push the likes of Kraig Urbik, Cyril Richardson(more on him later), Seantrel Henderson(more on him later too), and Jordan Mills Based on those two years, this selection would merit an F. However, last season, Kouandjio actually played at left tackle while Cordy Glenn was hurt, and he was surprisingly decent. Still a pretty mediocre return on a 2nd-round pick though. Grade: D+

Round 3, Pick 73- LB Preston Brown
Preston Brown has been a starter pretty much from the day he became a Bill. Although this has a lot to do with an overall lack of talent at LB, he's pretty decent. Grade: B

Round 4, Pick 109- CB Ross Cockrell
Never really managed to crack our roster(we draft 1-2 CBs every year, it seems) and ended up getting cut. Managed to catch on with the Steelers and seems like an effective nickel corner. Hard to grade. Obviously, he never really contributed to us, but clearly he had potential. Grade: C?

Round 5, Pick 153(from Rams)- G Cyril Richardson
He beat out Chris Williams for a starting job. You know, that lovely guard with injury issues we inexplicably gave a semi-meaty contract to? In any case, I cannot imagine how bad Chris Williams must have been, because he never played a down for us. And Cyril Richardson was horrible. Doug Marrone eventually benched him for Kraig Urbik(who was merely below average and also inexplicably in the doghouse). Richardson was off the team within the year, and no one else touched him Grade: F :barf:

Round 7, Pick 221(from Bucs)- LB Randell Johnson
Small school guy who was a good athlete. Was never healthy, didn't last long. Grade: Meh

Round 7, Pick 237(from Eagles) - OT Seantrel Henderson
He was a good prospect who plummeted due to character concerns(weed). He ended up starting his rookie year at RT. He was bad, but he was playing next to a bad guard and a rookie. Turns out he has Crohn's disease, which caused him to miss a ton of time. Also he's been smoking weed because it helps with his condition, but the NFL suspended him anyways. Because gently caress you, that's why. Grade: :420:

Overall Grade: D+
A thoroughly mediocre-to-bad draft that has contributed little to the team. Sammy Watkins and Preston Brown are the only starters, but the former is hurt a lot and the latter is mediocre. Other than that, it's two depth players and garbage.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Round 6, Pick 181: Alfred Blue
Our number two running back. When Arian Foster went down in 2015, he became the workhorse of the running attack and managed to do pretty well for himself. Easily, EASILY the best value pick of the draft in 2014 for us. A

Going to disagree. Hal is a far better value pick than Blue

This looked like a terrible draft prior to this season, but CJF and Clowney coming alive really saved it. XSF is still pretty bad and we could have had Carr there so bleh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2014 Green Bay Packers

1-21: Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, S
Franchise safety. Started out well in his rookie year and has already evolved into a multitalented presence on the field. Aside from Hyde and occasionally Gunter, he was basically the only worthwhile player in the Packers secondary this past season. Long-term starter and Pro Bowl candidate.

2-53: Davante Adams, WR
Had a rough sophomore season but has fixed his dropsies and turned into a reliable midfield threat. Yet another Ted Thompson second round receiver success.

3-85: Khyri Thornton, DT
Raw undeveloped talent. Didn't actually accomplish anything. Surprise! Traded to the Patriots and was cut a few weeks later. Languishing on the Lions' roster as a backup. Kind of a waste of a pick. Ever notice that, Mike Daniels aside, Ted has trouble drafting DTs?

3-98: Richard Rodgers, TE
Reliable hands, nonexistent legs, strong blocker. Poor as a sole threat at TE, but has paired off well with the arrival of Jared Cook. Gave us one of the best finales and best photographs of Packers history.

4-121: Carl Bradford, OLB
Could never make final cuts after his rookie season (in which he never played a snap). Eventually let go to San Francisco where he accomplished little.

5-161: Corey Linsley, C
Day 1 starter thanks to an injury to Tretter. Immediately one of the better centers in the league. Amazing value for the 5th round. Will remain a Packer for the foreseeable future.

5-176: Jared Abbrederis, WR
Hometown hero and a fan favorite pick. Plagued by injuries, concussions, and a very slight build. Never caught on in any way and was eventually cut. Languishing on the Lions' roster. Could have gone worse, really.

6-197: Demetri Goodson, CB
Depth. Unremarkable. Isn't actively bad, so it's a success of a 6th round pick.

7-236: Jeff Janis, WR
Meme status among Packers fans. Extremely fast, decent hands, but dumber than a bag of deflated footballs: has trouble learning routes and plays. Special teams star, phenomenal gunner. Very good return on value for where he was drafted. Caught a Hail Mary in the 2015 playoffs to bring Green Bay into overtime against Arizona, had an explosive game but couldn't repeat that performance in 2016. If someone can drill the scheme into his head he might have a great 2017.

Overall Grade
Surprisingly strong draft. Only two outright misses and both were later in the draft. Three starters and a special teams star out of this draft, and two of these starters are guaranteed to be long-term mainstays at their positions. About as close as you can get for the platonic ideal Ted Thompson draft.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 18, 2017

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Dallas Cowboys

Round 1, Pick 16: Zack Martin
Perennial all-pro from day one. Pairing him with 2013's first rounder, Travis Frederick, and 2011's first rounder, Tyron Smith, has transformed the offensive line into the heart and soul of the team. Martin can competently function in any of the myriad schemes and techniques the Cowboys deploy. Not Johnny Fuckin' Football
A++

Round 2, Pick 34: Demarcus Lawrence
Packaged a second and third in a trade with Washington to move up. Lawrence could be part of the solution for the miserable defensive line, but injuries and suspensions have derailed his development. Not consistent but shows awesome flashes. Had back surgery last off-season and again this off-season.
C+, opportunity cost stings, but Lawrence is a player the roster desperately needed

Round 4, Pick 119: Anthony Hitchens
Competent backup linebacker. He can play Mike and Will. Doesn't take on blocks well but shows good instincts in the run game and has improved in pass coverage.
B+, good rosters have several players like Hitchens as quality depth, but he'll never be a starter

Round 5, Pick 146: Devin Street
Bust wide receiver. Stuck on the team for two years but never saw the field. Cut before last season. Caught one pass for 20 yards on the Colts last season.
D but it's the fifth round so who cares

Round 7, pick 231: Ben Gardner
Defensive end who didn't make it out of camp. Out of the league.
w/e

Round 7, Pick 238: Will Smith
Linebacker who didn't make it out of camp. Welcomed players around the facility to earth. Plays with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
e/w

Round 7, Pick 248: Ahmad Dixon
Safety who didn't make it out of camp. Out of the league
shrug

Overall
The future of this draft hinges on Demarcus Lawrence. Can he stay healthy and make an impact, or will his back surgeries catch up with him? Zack Martin has been a franchise altering player, which is enough for me, poo poo, and Hitchens has proven to be a smart pick. Devin Street is probably the biggest disappointment, and they really shouldn't trade down for three seventh round picks again. One amazing pick, two good picks and a bunch of late-round trash. Pretty good :thumbsup:

Tom Sellout fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 18, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

2014 New York Giants

1-13: Odell Beckham, Jr., WR

Superstar receiver, enough to make this whole draft an A+. Missed time his rookie year, but then proceeded to put unprecedented numbers. I guess the only knocks on him are his propensity for off-the-field antics (the stupid boat) and being a hothead on the field. I think that as his career goes on he'll chill out a little bit, but the Giants would be stupid to let him go. A++

2-43 Weston Richburg, C

Starting center, and really quite excellent. Played out of position due to injuries, but really took off when he was placed at center. His absence on the line was most evident when he was ejected in Week 3 for unsportsmanlike conduct. A

3-74 Jay Bromley, DT

A depth piece on the defensive end, Bromley has been mostly serviceable playing on the line. The key to excellent defenses is depth, and I can't recall him making a huge mistake or getting burned recently. Going to call this a B

4-113 Andre Williams, RB

He was really good in his rookie season, but got buried in the rotation due to the awful RB by committee nonsense the Giants tried in 2015. Got cut, surprisingly, and landed on the Chargers for this season. C

5-152 Nat Berhe, S

A depth piece on D, he was really good from what I saw of him this year. Missed all of 2015 due to injury, and also missed part of 2016 due to injury as well. Similar to Bromley, didn't make any egregious errors or get killed on D. B

5-174 Devon Kennard, LB

Stepped in admirably after JPP got hurt, he plays with a certain explosiveness that everyone on the defense played with in 2016. Should be in the defensive rotation this year, and should play well. I think if JPP leaves he'll do well if asked to start or play more snaps. B+

6-187 Bennett Jackson, DB

I think he's on the practice squad. Hasn't seen a down of action. He's a sixth rounder, it's not that big a deal.

Overall grade: A+

This draft produced a superstar receiver and an excellent center. This draft saved Jerry Reese's job. This draft produced the depth pieces necessary for the Giants' defense to play as well as they did in 2016.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dolphins

1-19: Ju'Wuan James - Sometimes he seems like an ok RT but sometimes he's bad. Gase put it best when he said if he has 50 snaps in a game, 45 will be perfectly fine but 5 of them will be bad.

C

2-63 Jarvis Landry - One of the best slot guys in the NFL, very good punt returner, makes people look silly when he has the ball.

A+

3-67 Billy Turner - One of the worst picks in recent memory. Cut this year by Gase because he was completely worthless.

F

4-125 Walt Aikens - Weird guy who gets moved around in the secondary when people get hurt.

C

5-155 Arthur Lynch - Completely worthless. Never saw the field.

F

5-171 Jordan Tripp - I have never heard of this player.

F

6-190 Matt Hazel - Project WR that would show up in camp at times but never developed enough to be anything worth starting. Bouncing around practice squads now.

C

7-234 Terrence Fede - Rotational DE that contributes on special teams.

C

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kony Ealy and tre Boston are complete trash.

Benwikere is done.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets drafted 12 guys, 2 are still on the roster, only 3 were still on at the start of the 2016 season. Calvin Pryor was drafted in the 1st and is a mediocre safety that absolutely cannot be trusted to cover deep. Quincy Enunwa was drafted in the 6th and has shown some promise as a WR3. Overall it was a disastrous draft that led to John Idzik rightfully losing his position as GM. I remember being pretty upset about this draft because we passed over a ton of receivers in the first two rounds that I'd looked at and loved. I wanted them to take at least one of Kelvin Benjamin, Jarvis Landry, and Allen Robinson.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 19, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Benwikere is done.
he will return

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So we got Crowman and.......oooof. gently caress Ray Farmer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears successfully drafted a mediocre punter, in 2014.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Metapod posted:

Tennessee Titans

Franchise Left Tackle. A little bit of the knucklehead but doesn't do anything wrong the refs just have it in on him

A+

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/02/10/ex-um-scrapper-taylor-lewan-wants-nfl-allow-fighting/97762414/

lewan does no wrong :colbert:

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

The Jets drafted 12 guys, 2 are still on the roster, only 3 were still on at the start of the 2016 season. Calvin Pryor was drafted in the 1st and is a mediocre safety that absolutely cannot be trusted to cover deep. Quincy Enunwa was drafted in the 6th and has shown some promise as a WR3. Overall it was a disastrous draft that led to John Idzik rightfully losing his position as GM. I remember being pretty upset about this draft because we passed over a ton of receivers in the first two rounds that I'd looked at and loved. I wanted them to take at least one of Kelvin Benjamin, Jarvis Landry, and Allen Robinson.

One of the all time worst Jets drafts when the standard is pretty goddamn low already.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Chiefs 2014 draft looks like mostly a turd.

Dee Ford is just okay, but they passed on Bridgewater (doesn't look so bad now I guess) and Derek Carr (gently caress you for this, Dorsey) for him. He's almost certainly going to be leaving the team after 2017, so he's been a (pretty predictable) underwhelming choice, but hey he has a cool first step and can beat some low tier Right Tackles.

About the only thing notable from this class is they got their starting RG, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. He's just okay.

Zach Fulton sucks, De'Anthony Thomas sucks, Aaron Murray is gone, Phillip Gaines has had major knee problems and they sent the 2nd round pick for a below average QB.

What a shitbarn and thank god his drafts got a lot better after that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Your (yes, Your) San Francisco 49ers 2014 draft class:

1-30: Jimmie Ward, DB N Illinois
Has shown signs of being able to play well both at safety and corner, both inside and outside. B+

2-57: Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State
Great when healthy. Missed a few games every year since he was drafted, which is worrisome. Desperately needs a reliable complementary back to take some of the punishment. B+

3-70: Marcus Martin, OL USC
Not good so far. Still crazily young, it's possible he may yet develop into his potential, but given his strengths as a blocker (power) and the new scheme (outside zone), it's not likely to happen with the 49ers. F

3-77: Chris Borland, LB Wisconsin
It's hard to judge this pick, because he was an amazing linebacker for the year he played. R for regret.

3-100: Brandon Thomas, OL Clemson
The requisite Baalke ACL pick. Never recovered from the injury. F

4-106: Bruce Ellington, WR S Carolina
Another player who's had trouble staying healthy. Every year it's the same thing, "shows all the signs of breaking out this pre season!" And then he goes to IR. C-

4-129: Dontae Johnson, CB N Carolina State
Tall and fast. Solid depth at the position. C+

5-150: Aaron Lynch, OLB S Florida
Amazing pass rusher when he's not being fat and lazy. He's often fat and lazy. C+

5-170: Keith Reaser, CB Florida Atlantic
Fast DB with a ton of potential, looked like he might be a quality starter at times last year. B

5-180: Kenneth Acker, CB S Methodist
gently caress this guy, he's gone. F

7-243: Kaleb Ramsey, DL Boston College
Pretty sure he was a pity pick. Entered the draft like three years in a row, and had to back out because of injury (and got a medical exemption for college). Still injured. F

7-245: Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
Goons said he was great and got me all excited. Turns out he wasn't, and he's a backup or something for the Chiefs now. F

Actually not a bad draft at all. A few complete misses, but several quality players and at least three starters. I'd give it a B-/C+ right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

7-245: Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
Goons said he was great and got me all excited. Turns out he wasn't, and he's a backup or something for the Chiefs now. F

For whatever it's worth I think he's just out of the league, the Chiefs signed him to a futures contract in January before last season and I don't remember him being on the practice squad and he definitely wasn't on the roster so...

I'll do a less lazy Chiefs version I guess.

Round 1: Dee Ford OLB - Auburn

Was just awful, like completely awful his first two years (outside of a game abusing DJ Fluker or whoever was lining up at RT for the Chargers). I can't find the better version of this gif that just speaks for itself without the meme stuff but this is kinda his first 2 years in the league:

Having pointed that out he did do a little work this year. Mostly against terrible tackles but there are a lot of terrible tackles in the NFL and beating up on the bad ones is something you should do. I have minor hopes for him, based on current production I'll call it a C+ so far. I don't know, I can see Chiefs fans arguing C or C- might be closer, but he's not a bad player exactly and he is improving. So far I think we can all agree he wasn't really worth the pick though.

Round 2: Alex Smith QB - Utah

Eh, yeah no round 2 pick this year.

Round 3: Phillip Gains DB - Rice

Gaines had everyone excited his first two years but he was always hurt. He showed flashes of good solid corner play although he was never going to be a shutdown guy. Problem is he was hurt most of the time. He was healthy for the majority of 2016 and we...uh...found out he isn't that good of a corner. Likely won't be on the team next year. D for the few times he looked good.

Round 4: De'Anthony Thomas RB/WR/Athlete - Oregon

Tiny dude who was electric in college. He's probably just too tiny to really be much in the NFL. The Chiefs are trying to make him a WR and he's not really worth it so far, in 2016 almost every offensive touch he got I wished went to someone else. They tried to do some gadget stuff with him his first couple of years and it was never all that successful. He does have some value as a returner. I'll call it a C- just because he can return the ball well and we didn't know about Tyreek Hill at the time. I also noticed his little rear end doing some work as a gunner, so he does have some value as a general special teamer even if he isn't returning kicks.

Round 5: Aaron Murray QB - Georgia

Late round quarterback, never showed much of anything. Kept Tyler Bray over him so...yeah that just about says it. Doesn't have AJ McCarron's tattoo so D- instead of F.

Round 6: Zach Fulton G - Tennessee

Basically an NFL level backup interior lineman from what I can tell, which is useful but not very. 6th round so C I guess.

Round 6: Laurent Duvarnay-Tardif G - McGill

This guy starting is a pretty big upset, even if he isn't all that great. He went to college in Canada and there's like, maybe 5 guys who did that who ever played in the NFL? Hell I don't know, maybe it's more than that, but all of the realistic recruits with NFL aspirations from Canada play in schools in the states. Interesting guy, he'll get his medical doctorate either this off season or in the next one. He's...an NFL guard. Like, there are several other teams who would like to have him. As a late 6th round pick I'll call him a B.

I'm not as down on this draft as LiquidFriend is as long as we ignore why there wasn't a second round pick to spend. I also grade the late round guys differently which might not be the right thing to do. It's hard to feel good about the first four picks, but getting some backup/borderline starting quality guards moves the overall draft grade to a C for me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

F

This was a very bad draft that produced few football players and will end up with a decent receiving back and a backup that'll be traded for some picks 4 years later then when a 2nd was spent on him.

Yeah that draft was really bad. And even getting a first for Jimmy G 4 years later is only like getting a 5th that year or something in terms of value. It's a good scam if somebody overpays for him now, but but it still doesn't make the pick a good value overall for the Pats.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bears:

1st round (14th overall, a pick after aaron donald) : Kyle Fuller, CB. Started out pretty well with a few ints, then devolved quickly. Spent the entirety of last year on IR despite not being injured and no one knowing if he ever wanted to play again, which he probably doesn't. F.

2nd round Ego Ferguson, DT. Mediocre first year, second year got IRed and popped for PEDs. Cut. F.

3rd round Will Sutton, NT. Started some games! Got IRed last year, but seems like he'd be ok depth down the road if they keep him. C.

4th Ka'Deem Carey, RB. Small, bad. Should be cut. D.

5th Brock Vereen, SS. Yet another safety in a long line of absolutely mediocre safeties for the Bears. Was cut , signed by other teams, cut some more. D.

6th David Fales, QB. Fantastic name for the franchise, should be a starter just for the jerseys . A.

6th Pat O'Donnell, P. Mediocre punter! Yes!! B.

7th Charles Leno, OT. He's really, really bad. He's also started (as well as played in others as a sub) more games than anyone else from this draft class. Basically, the new J'marcus Webb - you should be happy to get a 7th rounder on the field, let alone starting, yet it just shows how bad the franchise actually is. A (due solely to draft position).

Overall. Of first three picks, all were IRed , 1 is gone, 1 is about to be gone, and the third may never play well again. The sole 'value' of the class comes from the 6th and 7th round picks. That's horrible. D-.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Kalli posted:

How bad can a draft be for a team that wins 2 of the next 3 Superbowls?

1-29 Dominique Easley, DT. - A very highly rated pass rusher who had torn both ACL's in college. He played a bit as a sub pass rusher for the Patriots, but rarely many snaps, and ended his first two years on IR. Dumped and currently a useful sub for the Rams.

D

2-62 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB - A backup quarterback who failed at the one job he was given, holding down the fort for 4 games to start this season. He's looked okay, and will probably be traded for some draft pick this year, but, for comparison's sake, he was drafted right between Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. Maybe he's secretly a franchise QB, but I have severe doubts.

C

D

4-130 James White, RB - A bit of a revelation this year as he morphed into more of the Kevin Faulk / Shane Vereen back he was drafted as. He was a bit of a scapegoat his first two years, but he's turned into a very solid contributor who just won a superbowl, so uh.

A

4-140 Cameron Fleming, T - A backup tackle who's played a healthy amount and can't block anything. Often played as a 6th lineman, where he is horrific in pass protection. Just a god awful player.

F

6-179 Jon Halapio, OL - I have no idea who this is and he never made it out of training camp

F

6-198 Zach Moore, DE - Played one year as a sub, had a forced fumble, played some ST. Got cut and bounced around the league. That's fine for a 6th.

C+

6-206 - Jemea Thomas CB - Didn't make it out of training camp, bounced around the league on practice squads the last three years.

D

7-244 - Jeremy Gallon, WR - Didn't make it out of training camp, appears to have spent some time in the CFL // Arena leagues.

F

I agree with most of this but that's probably unfair to Bryan Stork. The guy saved that line when he was inserted as a starter early in the 2014 season. There's no way they win the Super Bowl without him. For a 4th that's worth a lot more than a D. I mean he was instrumental in helping them win a Lombardi and gets the same grade as a first round pick who basically red shirted his entire career with the team? Stork should get at least a B.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Titans

Really came into his own this year and was selected to the Pro Bowl. Along with rookie Jack Conklin, Lewan solidified the OT positions for the Titans for years to come. Helped the OL go from bottom 3 in the NFL to the best. Will get mega payed next year.

Round 2, Pick 54: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
Unimpressive RB but showed flashes occasionally. Was released by the team and now plays for the Vikings I think.

Round 4, Pick 112: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn St.
Pretty good DT, usually plays opposite Jurrell Casey.

Round 4, Pick 122: Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming
Mostly a special teams guy, believe he might have been the captain at some point. Now plays for the Ravens.

Round 5, Pick 151: Avery Williamson, ILB, Kentucky
Starter at ILB, is pretty good but the team will probably want to upgrade the position in the draft this year.

Round 6, Pick 178: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
:laffo:

Edit: forgot the overall grade. I would say a B as the team got 2 solid starters and one excellent player in Lewan.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 19, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

This draft produced a superstar receiver and an excellent center. This draft saved Jerry Reese's job. This draft produced the depth pieces necessary for the Giants' defense to play as well as they did in 2016.

Richburg was very good in 2015 and regressed in 2016, part of it may have been due to John Jerry being bad and Justin Pugh missing time. Bromley is definitely a D, he's disappointed although showed a little in 2016. Berhe is fine for a fifth round pick, but a C at best.

Kennard is a starting LB who occasionally sees time at DE. I think he's very good, even though LBs are de-emphasized in today's NFL.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Well, it's not good. The Bills are on deck!

Overall Grade: D+

Agree 100% except Ross Cockrell should also be an F.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eagles

Round 1, Pick 26: Marcus Smith II: The Revenge of the OLB from Louisville
Is bad. Hardly played at all his rookie year buts gets tossed out as a depth guy here and there. Has no push and doesn't know how to get around linemen.

F

Round 2, Pick 42: Jordan Matthews, Jerry Rice's position and cousin, Vanderbilt
Matthews does everything you'd want out of a receiver except actually catch. Shows some ability, can get open but has the dropsies. Would be fine as a WR2/3 but should not be the team's first, best option, which he is at the moment.

C+

Round 3, Pick 86: Josh Huff, WR, Oregon :ughh:

Below average receiver and average returner who routinely hosed something up whenever he was on the field. Drafted due to Chip Kelly's Pokemon approach to players out of Oregon. Very occasionally didn't look awful and I think he once housed a kickoff return for a TD? Got cut because he got caught with a gun in his car and landed with the Buccs. D- because he was still better than some of the receivers we had in 2016.

D-

Round 4, Pick 101: Jaylen Watkins, S, Florida

Drafted 2014, spent 2015 on the Bills practice squad, went back to the Eagles for 2016. Still exists on this earth in some capacity. In the mess the Eagles have at DB he's not the worst, but he's depth and I honestly can't think of a drat thing to say about him.

C-

Round 5, Pick 141: Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon :ughh:

Drafted due to Chip Kelly's Pokemon approach to players out of Oregon. Depth and ST guy who hasn't done much on defense but has been a good enough special teamer. Bounced back and forth between Philly and SF in 2016. Is back with the Eagles and is supposedly being shifted to the offensive line as a tackle. Why? :shrug:

C

Round 5, Pick 162: Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford

Hung around as depth for a couple of years. Didn't do much of note. Now with the Browns.

D

Round 7, Pick 224: Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Beau Allen! :swoon:

Allen has been a rotational guy since his rookie year. I don't think he's a threat to take away Bennie Logan's job but he does a good job of eating up space when he's on the field and can extend away from his blocks to get a hand on the ball carrier. Great complimentary piece in the 7th.

A

Overall: D

Chip Kelly provided the Eagles with a serviceable WR2, a great backup D-lineman and a good special teamer, which did not exactly make up for all his dumb, lovely moves in dismantling the rest of the team.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Pittsburgh Steelers

1.) Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
Super fast ILB whose speed makes up for misdiagnosing plays sometimes. If he learns the game more, he will be an A graded pick. If not, he will be out of the league once his speed falls off. Sticking with an A grade though because he is a starter that I would call very good.

2.) Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
Is now a starter at DE. Last year had 7 sacks and 12.5 the year before that. In a 3-4 thats pretty good for your DE, so lets call him an A as well.

3.) Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
Ran a 4.26 in the combine, but is tiny. Pittsburgh took a flyer and tried to install a few plays for him but nothing ever clicked. Was cut at the end of the year and hasn't played football since. As a player, its an F because he isn't in the league, but I give the actual pick a D simply because taking a shot at a guy who has the second fastest time in Combine history is never a bad idea.

4.) Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
Would be an A, but the guy likes to smoke weed so he can't get on the field. Grade is a C right now, but if he can stay on the field it will go up.

5a.) Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
Currently starring at CB for the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL, so that tells you all you need to know at this point. Never even made the 53 man roster, so F.

5b.) Wesley Johnson, C, Vanderbilt
Never draft a player named Wesley. Never made the team. F.

6a.) Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA
Got injured in his first two years, so was IR'ed before playing a down. Was then cut before last year. F.

6b.)Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
Still on the team, but only as a backup. He did start a bunch of games last year, and had a shot at the starting sopt this year but lost to a rookie. I grade it a C because he is abackup, still on the team and was a 6th round comp pick.

7.) Rob Blanchflower, TE, UMass
Was on practice squad, got waived lasr year and not playing anywhere now. F.

Really strong at the top of the draft with good players in 1, 2, and 4, while writing 3 off as a gamble that you lost. Only one of player from that draft is even playing in the NFL anymore. So I guess a B. When you get three solid starters out of a draft and a stable backup, I call that a success.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Da Raiders

1) Khalil Mack A+

Best player in the draft, and reigning DPOY. Struggled a bit his first season relative to how good he is now, but you could still see the talent. The numbers just weren't piling up because it seemed like he would just miss out on making the play by a hair. Second year he blew up in the second half of the season, and had something stupid like 4 sacks against the Broncos. Finished second in DPOY voting. Third year he again kicked it on later in the season, and with Watt out, he was the default DPOY. With the age difference between himself and Watt, he looks primed to spend several years as the undisputed best defensive player in the league, and if he can remain consistent, a first ballot Hall of famer.

2) Derek Carr A+

Rookie season was a tough one because the team was horrible. Had a horrible game against the Rams, but blew up against the 49ers, so it was really up and down. Second year was much improved and he really established himself as The Guy. It was pretty clear by the end of that year he was the best QB in the draft. Last season he finished as the NFL Clutch performer of the year as he led the league in 4th quarter comebacks and drug a young raiders team kicking and screaming to a 12-4 record and their first playoff berth in well over a decade. He also racked up a few MVP votes. He can make any throw, and he's not afraid to show it. Great leader, everyone loves him, and he's awesome. Quite probable he'll get an MVP award and a Super Bowl to his name before his career is done if he can stay healthy. You could easily make the argument that he's a better player than Andrew Luck, so he's an absolute steal in the 2nd.

3) Gabe Jackson A

Me and Al really wanted this guy. He blew up the combine with his strength, and unlike Raider guards of yesteryear, he plays at a level to match it. He's a true mauler, and I hope we can hold on to him. Probably got a few pro bowls in him.

-some guys-

7) TJ Carrie B

Nothing special with this guy, but the fact he's anything other than special teams at this point is pretty significant with where he was taken. Immediately came in and outplayed DJ Hayden, and has gotten quite a bit of playing time all over the Raiders very bad secondary since then. Solid depth especially because of his versatility.

The verdict

If you could redo this draft today, it wouldn't be out of the question for Mack and Carr to go 1 2. This draft built the core for a team that went from perennial bottom feeder to perennial super bowl contender. Without a doubt the best draft I've ever seen the Raiders have, and probably somewhere on the list of greatest drafts ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

This draft built the core for a team that went from perennial bottom feeder to perennial super bowl contender. Without a doubt the best draft I've ever seen the Raiders have, and probably somewhere on the list of greatest drafts ever.

I suspect you might be getting ahead of yourself with the perennial super bowl contender but it made me curious so I looked up the Raiders Draft history. I'm not saying you were around for it but I think 1968 is pretty hard to beat for the best draft in franchise history.

Ken Stabler and Art Shell are hall of famers, also a 9 year starter with a couple of pro bowls (back when a pro bowl nod might have meant something) at DB in George Atkinson. Also a shortish career but a fullback who managed to have a 4.8 ypc average with three pro bowl nods in someone named Marv Hubbard.

This is after the Raiders drafted Gene Upshaw the year before and Fred Biletnikoff a couple of years before that. The Raiders did pretty well in the 60s.

• Locked thread