Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Raiders got a top 5 pass rusher, a franchise QB, and a top 10 guard with their first three picks. A+++++++

Hopefully we extend both Carr and Jackson this offseason. I'm glad Jackson is under most people's radar so that he doesn't ask for Zack Martin type of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Darqueze Dennard, CB

Honestly, we don't really know. Was supposed to play slot but he sucked there and got replaced by Josh Shaw. He's supposed to be an outside CB but we're about to pay Dre Kirkpatrick and still have Adam Jones. When he has played outside, it didn't look particularly great but he wasn't terrible. It's like they overplanned at CB. Grade: C+

Round 2, Pick 23 (55) Jeremy Hill, RB

loving ruled year 1, has sucked extremely hard ever since. Grade: D+

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Will Clarke, DE

He's fine as a rotational guy, we could probably re-sign him cheap and keep a steady hand. I'm into it. Grade: B

Round 4, Pick 11 (111) Russell Bodine, C

This was only the third time in Bengals history that they traded up. They were afraid Russell Bodine would be drafted. I wish he was drafted by someone else. He has gotten better every year but that progress has been from complete poo poo to not complete poo poo to a little bit more not complete poo poo. He's started every game and that's a plus in a sad, sad way. Is, in fact, a dumb baby back bitch. Grade: D-

Round 5, Pick 24 (164) AJ McCarron, QB

gently caress him. Grade: F

Round 6, Pick 36 (212) Marquis Flowers, OLB

Special teams guy, plays well when he's in the game in short bursts. Grade: C+

Round 7, Pick 24 (239) James Wright, WR

Bengals drafted a guy that didn't play WR at all his senior year because of Odell & Jarvis. Most thought it was a silly pick. Turns out, he's good! Great on special teams, will make a dope catch. He tore his knee real bad at the end of the first year and lost his second year because of it, but came back pretty decent in year three. He might be a casualty next year due to definitely drafting a WR and concerns with his knee, but he's been cool the whole time he's been a Bengal. Grade: B

Round 7, Pick 37 (252) Lavelle Westbrooks, CB

Waived. Grade: F

We picked up Ryan Hewitt, our H-Back, undrafted. He's great. Grade: A

As much as I hate to admit it, you're heavily underrating Bodine. He's never gonna be a pro bowler but he's no Eric ghuiceheic or Kyle cook. For a dude who stepped in as a rookie I've always thought he was acceptable. Given that the team refuses to spend big on interior linemen I'm down with country Russ.

Also gently caress Jeremy Hill forever, if we don't draft Nick Chubb I'm going to kill myself.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Refusing to spend big on the interior for a QB that needs a solid pocket and to not be rushed immediately is a reason why the Bengals are stupid and why the functionally weak Bodine sucks. He's gotten better but he's still not good enough to play center on the line.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Volkerball posted:

Da Raiders

1) Khalil Mack A+

Best player in the draft, and reigning DPOY. Struggled a bit his first season relative to how good he is now, but you could still see the talent. The numbers just weren't piling up because it seemed like he would just miss out on making the play by a hair. Second year he blew up in the second half of the season, and had something stupid like 4 sacks against the Broncos. Finished second in DPOY voting. Third year he again kicked it on later in the season, and with Watt out, he was the default DPOY. With the age difference between himself and Watt, he looks primed to spend several years as the undisputed best defensive player in the league, and if he can remain consistent, a first ballot Hall of famer.

2) Derek Carr A+

Rookie season was a tough one because the team was horrible. Had a horrible game against the Rams, but blew up against the 49ers, so it was really up and down. Second year was much improved and he really established himself as The Guy. It was pretty clear by the end of that year he was the best QB in the draft. Last season he finished as the NFL Clutch performer of the year as he led the league in 4th quarter comebacks and drug a young raiders team kicking and screaming to a 12-4 record and their first playoff berth in well over a decade. He also racked up a few MVP votes. He can make any throw, and he's not afraid to show it. Great leader, everyone loves him, and he's awesome. Quite probable he'll get an MVP award and a Super Bowl to his name before his career is done if he can stay healthy. You could easily make the argument that he's a better player than Andrew Luck, so he's an absolute steal in the 2nd.

3) Gabe Jackson A

Me and Al really wanted this guy. He blew up the combine with his strength, and unlike Raider guards of yesteryear, he plays at a level to match it. He's a true mauler, and I hope we can hold on to him. Probably got a few pro bowls in him.

-some guys-

7) TJ Carrie B

Nothing special with this guy, but the fact he's anything other than special teams at this point is pretty significant with where he was taken. Immediately came in and outplayed DJ Hayden, and has gotten quite a bit of playing time all over the Raiders very bad secondary since then. Solid depth especially because of his versatility.

The verdict

If you could redo this draft today, it wouldn't be out of the question for Mack and Carr to go 1 2. This draft built the core for a team that went from perennial bottom feeder to perennial super bowl contender. Without a doubt the best draft I've ever seen the Raiders have, and probably somewhere on the list of greatest drafts ever.

I've been on this god forsaken website for a decade and this has been the first time i've been excited to stroll into a 20XX Draft Look Back thread

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Round 1 Anthony Barr, Linebacker A

Really great his first couple of seasons. He disappeared somewhat last year

Round 1 Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback A

He WAS a good solid QB, accurate but not flashy. Didn't throw things real deep but didn't make a lot of mistakes. His injury will really affect what he does and more than likely he'll be Sam Bradford's backup for awhile. Still, really glad this pick wasn't Johnny Football and you couldn't have know his knee was doing to destroy itself three years ahead of time.

Round 3 Scott Crichton, Defensive End D

A backup DE on injured reserve. Was basically one of the guys standing on the sidelines.

Round 3 Jerick McKinnon, Running Back B

Could be AD's successor (but not replacement.) Fast (his nickmname is Jet) but doesn't have AD's strength. In 2015 he and Mat Asiata made a good pair but any success ANY Vikings RB will have depends on whether they fix the O-line or not.

Round 5 David Yankey, Guard D

Didn't really do much and is one the Panthers now

Round 6 Antone Exum, Cornerback C

Another injured player. Was in the mix for Harrison Smith's parter at safety along with a few others before getting hurt. Almost an incomplete grade. If he came back and was a good safety, grade goes up, etc. Still it was the sixth round

Round 6 Kendall James, Cornerback F

He's on a grand tour of the leagues practice squads. Been to four so far.

Round 7 Shamar Stephen, Defensive tackle B+

He was becoming Shariff Floyd's permanent replacement until he got hurt. Not bad for garbage time drafting.

Round 7 Brandon Watts, Linebacker D

On the Dolphins practice squad

Round 7 Jabari Price, Cornerback C

He's been a decent fourth/fifth corner. Still on the team but injured.

This draft looked amazing last year but there's been a lot of injuries. Bridgewater's at the very least is career derailing. It was a near miracle that he didn't lose the leg. Still, to some degree all of these guys are in the NFL somewhere so that's not bad. The team got a free draft pick by bamboozling Cleveland and avoided Johnny Manziel. A-

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's funny to talk about how Seattle drafts "so well" especially in the late rounds, but man the 2013 and 2014 drafts didn't produce anything good. 2015 is looking to be slightly better (depending how you look at the Jimmy Graham acquisition). It's just offset that their 2010 and 2012 drafts were so drat good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

It's funny to talk about how Seattle drafts "so well" especially in the late rounds, but man the 2013 and 2014 drafts didn't produce anything good. 2015 is looking to be slightly better (depending how you look at the Jimmy Graham acquisition). It's just offset that their 2010 and 2012 drafts were so drat good.

I think it's because nobody has more then a short period of great drafting and your reputation comes into play like 2-3 years after the fact when those players start peaking.

Like Belichick had a few excellent drafts from like '01-'05, then had that reputation for years despite drafting terribly for the next few years, then had lost that rep by the time he drafted guys like Gronk and McCourty then regained it just as he had a few lousy drafts again like this one.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rick Smith is a pretty known commodity at this point: nails first round picks, can't draft on the second day to save his life, will occasionally find a diamond on day three

And for this he has a job for life because of his relationship with the owner

The worst you can say about him is "took Clowney over Mack" and "took Okoye over Willis" (his one true bust) as far as first round picks go

Since Okoye his first rounders have been

26 - Duane Brown, franchise LT
15 - Brian Cushing, excellent ILB until two separate incidents of an offensive player diving right into his knee. Still good, defensive leader (Maybe should've taken Clay Matthews instead)
20 - Kareem Jackson, looked awful for his first two years but developed into a solid CB, has had a much better career than the other CBs taken after him that I was screaming for
11 - JJ Watt. Heh.
26 - Whitney Mercilus, took a couple years but developed into an elite pass rusher
27 - DeAndre Hopkins, no need to elaborate
1 - Jadeveon Clowney, was looking like an injury bust but this year finally started turning into a monster
16 - Kevin Johnson, probably the best CB on the team already
21 - Will Fuller, we'll see on him. He needs to figure out how to not drop easy touchdowns

Not bad for having only one of those being a top 10 pick

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2017

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Durandal1707 posted:

I'll do the Chargers 2014 one real quick:
Round 1, pick 25: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU.

Verrett's been a somewhat up and down pick for me just because of his injury history - his season's ended early two out of the last three years (shoulder and knee injuries) That being said, when he's healthy, he's pretty easily a top 10 corner in the league, with incredible agility and recovering speed, not to mention fine hands. The one year he stayed mostly healthy in 2015, teams didn't even bother throwing in his direction because he usually had his man completely locked up. (and of course they picked on Brandon Flowers who was terrible that season)

I'll say.. A-. When he's healthy, he's a terrific player. it's just a matter of staying on field for him. Sky's the limit otherwise.

Round 2, Pick 50: Jeremiah Attachou, LB, Georgia Tech

One of Tom Telesco's customary trade ups. Attachou is a lot more up and down: he looked good his first two years in the league - not necessarily a super star, but one of those guys that would be a great complimentary pass rusher if he continued developing. For whatever reason though, he didn't see the field very much in 2016. I'll go with a C+, because he looked good his first two years and stalled pretty hard this year. 2017 will probably be the make or break year for him.

Round 3, pick 89: Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame

Was drafted to be converted to a center and be Nick Hardwick's heir apparent. It didn't work out - Watt just wasn't a physically strong enough dude to anchor against most interior pass rushers as either a G or C, and injuries plagued him quite a lot on top of it. Part of the godawful hydra head of centers the Chargers trotted out in 2014 and 15. Wish this pick worked out, but unfortunately it's an F.

Round 5, Pick 165: Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas State

Built exactly to be the big 2-gap NT the Chargers needed since Jamal Williams left, for whatever reason he just hasn't seen the field much - I dunno if it's because the coaching staff didn't trust him or whatever. He's an adequate run stuffer and doesn't give much as a pass rusher. C- I guess.

Rounds 6 & 7: Marion Grice & Tevon Reese, Arizona St and Baylor

I'm lumping these two with each other because neither of them played a regular season down for the Chargers - both got cut in the preseason. I think Grice ended up on the Cardinals at one point but otherwise just whatever.

Overall: Woof. Verrett is a great player when he's healthy and Attaochu has shown a lot of promise, but man, this draft class really sucked aside for those two picks.

This draft is where the Chargers rebuild under Tom Telesco really started to derail. The 2013 draft was okay enough to get them back into the playoff scene and even win the wildcard with what was left of the team after the AJ Smith/Norv Turner era came to a close. But this draft left the team bare of any semblance of improvement outside of Jason Verrett. 9-7 for a second time and barely missing the playoffs was generous for how bad the team really was overall, especially on defense.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Eric Ebron is a mildly competent tight end who drops a ton of balls that he shouldn't. He was also drafted directly before Taylor Lewan, OBJ, and Aaron Donald so uh.

D

Kyle Van Noy couldn't see the field for the Lions and got a sack in the Super Bowl for the Patriots after being traded for a 6th rounder

F

Travis Swanson is a starting center, he's also one of the absolute worst in the league.

D

Everyone else is also very bad in this draft. Burn the Lions to the ground.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MrLogan posted:

Raiders got a top 5 pass rusher, a franchise QB, and a top 10 guard with their first three picks. A+++++++

Hopefully we extend both Carr and Jackson this offseason. I'm glad Jackson is under most people's radar so that he doesn't ask for Zack Martin type of money.

Also UDFAs WR Seth Roberts and DE Denico Autry. 4th round D-lineman Justin Ellis made the All Rookie team but then disappeared last year. Hopefully he'll rebound in a contract year. Reggie McKenzie is a great GM.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

Broncos:

1(31) - Bradley Roby CB - A pretty great CB. Was able to sit behind Talib and Chris Harris Jr. and play slot CB and/or play true CB when Talib was suspended for being a dipshit. A

2(56) - Cody Latimer WR - A mediocre WR who the Broncos are desperately praying turn into something finally. He probably won't. C-

3(95) - Michael Schofield OT - A literal turnstyle in :manning:'s last year. So bad he got benched in the later half of last year and blasted in the local media only to discover that he could actually play RT for 3 games when it mattered most (our SB run). Immediately regressed into the pumpkin he really is in 2016. We've tried him at RT and RG and it just doesn't matter. Watch Khalil Mack's / Justin Houston's games from 2015 and 2016 to watch what happens when a superior athlete lines up against him. D (it's not an F because he played lights out in the 2015 post-season .. somehow)

5(156) - Lamin Barrow ILB - Played in 2014, cut in 2015. Ended up with the Bears and then Miami's practice squad. I can't remember him at all so INC

6(207) - Matt Paradis C - 2 year starting center after spending his first year on the practice squad. Solid center for us and the only OL starter from 2016 who wasn't total dogshit. A

7(242) - Corey Nelson LB - A nice backup ILB who gets a bit more action when Brandon Marshall (not that one) gets hurt (which sadly happens more often than I'd like). A (for finding a solid player in the 7th round).

Overall Grade: A-. Three great picks in Roby, Paradis, and Nelson, a wobbly duck throw on Latimer, and two whiffs in Barrow and Schofield. Solid draft.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Also gently caress Jeremy Hill forever, if we don't draft Nick Chubb I'm going to kill myself.

Nick Chubb isn't in the draft this year. Seek help.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

aperion posted:

This draft is where the Chargers rebuild under Tom Telesco really started to derail. The 2013 draft was okay enough to get them back into the playoff scene and even win the wildcard with what was left of the team after the AJ Smith/Norv Turner era came to a close. But this draft left the team bare of any semblance of improvement outside of Jason Verrett. 9-7 for a second time and barely missing the playoffs was generous for how bad the team really was overall, especially on defense.

I still can't believe that team bullshitted out a win against the defending SB champion Seahawks when their run defense and o-line sucked so much. That game owned.

But yeah, this draft really highlights why i'm not a fan of trading up for players - the Chargers chronically have a lack of depth, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. While I can understand trading up for somebody like Attachou over Te'o (now that was stupid), it still leaves you with a lack of depth if you don't knock that pick you traded up for out of the park. Between this and 2015 they got like 4 decent players out of that mix...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

But yeah, this draft really highlights why i'm not a fan of trading up for players - the Chargers chronically have a lack of depth, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. While I can understand trading up for somebody like Attachou over Te'o (now that was stupid), it still leaves you with a lack of depth if you don't knock that pick you traded up for out of the park. Between this and 2015 they got like 4 decent players out of that mix...

This randomly reminded me, there was a minute where Manti Te'o was getting 1st overall talk. It was super early in the draft process. Like before the catfishing stuff came out so before the combine I guess, but I remember there being actually media discussion about the idea.

The draft and the rumors it creates are a weird beast.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This randomly reminded me, there was a minute where Manti Te'o was getting 1st overall talk. It was super early in the draft process. Like before the catfishing stuff came out so before the combine I guess, but I remember there being actually media discussion about the idea.

The draft and the rumors it creates are a weird beast.
I think that talk was really early on. I don't think the catfishing stuff did a lot beyond scouts saying he's a weird rear end dude.

The National Championship game against Bama really seemed to be the turning point for his stock.

Grittybeard posted:

Round 1: Dee Ford OLB - Auburn

Was just awful, like completely awful his first two years (outside of a game abusing DJ Fluker or whoever was lining up at RT for the Chargers). I can't find the better version of this gif that just speaks for itself without the meme stuff but this is kinda his first 2 years in the league:

Having pointed that out he did do a little work this year. Mostly against terrible tackles but there are a lot of terrible tackles in the NFL and beating up on the bad ones is something you should do. I have minor hopes for him, based on current production I'll call it a C+ so far. I don't know, I can see Chiefs fans arguing C or C- might be closer, but he's not a bad player exactly and he is improving. So far I think we can all agree he wasn't really worth the pick though.

Round 3: Phillip Gains DB - Rice

Gaines had everyone excited his first two years but he was always hurt. He showed flashes of good solid corner play although he was never going to be a shutdown guy. Problem is he was hurt most of the time. He was healthy for the majority of 2016 and we...uh...found out he isn't that good of a corner. Likely won't be on the team next year. D for the few times he looked good.

Round 4: De'Anthony Thomas RB/WR/Athlete - Oregon

Tiny dude who was electric in college. He's probably just too tiny to really be much in the NFL. The Chiefs are trying to make him a WR and he's not really worth it so far, in 2016 almost every offensive touch he got I wished went to someone else. They tried to do some gadget stuff with him his first couple of years and it was never all that successful. He does have some value as a returner. I'll call it a C- just because he can return the ball well and we didn't know about Tyreek Hill at the time. I also noticed his little rear end doing some work as a gunner, so he does have some value as a general special teamer even if he isn't returning kicks.
The biggest problem with Dee Ford is it seems they panicked when the Saints took Cook and the Browns took Manziel one pick before them, so Dorsey went all SPARQ and took Dee Ford. Was 1-2 rounds too early. He would of been a fine selection in the late 2nd-early 3rd round, and would be a great edge rusher if he ever played with solid, consistent technique.

His brother works at my place of employment and there's my useless fun fact.

I think Gaines was pretty solid before the ACL tear in 2015, and for whatever reason, everyone with an ACL tear was really hosed last season. I don't think his knee was ever 100%, but the blown coverage in Denver was hilariously bad.

De'Anthony Thomas has been toast ever since noted piece of poo poo, Jaheel Addae, scrambled his brains. Him falling off the cliff and nearly quitting football is partly why they drafted Tyreek.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 21, 2017

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Indianapolis Colts

This one is easy because Grigson pissed away all their picks. They only had 5.

1 (Went to the Browns) - Traded for Trent Richardson. Not much needs to be said about that trade that hasn't already been said. TRich was awful however the Browns did the Brownsiest move possible by using the traded pick to grab Johnny Football. Nothing of value was lost in this trade at least. F-

2 (59) - Jack Mewhort OT

He was drafted to be the RT of the Future and has been one of the few reliable O-lineman the Colts have had over the past few years. He and the LT Castanzo are the only non-turnstile lineman the Colts have prior to drafting Kelly in 2016. He's not great but this past year was the first time he missed any significant time due to injury. B+

3 (90) - Donte Moncrief WR

Moncrief established himself as the decent #2 receiver behind TY Hilton. He has good speed, physicality, and makes acrobatic catches but also has some really infuriating drops from time to time. He had a pretty good 2nd season but got hurt last year. I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. B

5 (166) - Jonathan Newsome DE

Newsome had a pretty good rookie season but turned into a pumpkin afterwards. He was released after his second season for :420: possession though he was on the bubble anyway. D

6 (203) Andrew Jackson LB

Made the roster but cut after his first season. Playing arena league now. D

7 (232) Ulrick John OT

Loved the name. Injured in camp and never made the roster. Has been bouncing around as a practice squader since. At least he's still in the league. C

Overall Grade: C

2 of 5 are still with the team and contributing at a high level which is about all you can ask for with so few picks. That said, Grigson's huge miss on Richardson left them without a #1 pick at all and there was still some talent up in the late half of the 1st.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The immediate aftermath thread of the 2014 draft, for some good laughs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633248

The accurate:

Raiders fans were uniformly excited for the first time in decades. Lions fans were mentally broken.

Doltos posted:

I wanted Zach Martin or Aaron Donald so badly. The Cowboys are going to have one of the best o-lines in the league very soon and this pisses me off to no end.

too bad you got OBJ instead.

The bad:

Houston fans being super excited about Nix falling to them in the 3rd, with one poster near the end wondering if maybe, just maybe it could have been because the injury concerns were worse than originally thought.

Browns fans being excited about Gilbert and Manziel.

Packers nearly had more UDFA than draft picks remaining on the team this year, 3 to 4.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Eric Ebron is a mildly competent tight end who drops a ton of balls that he shouldn't. He was also drafted directly before Taylor Lewan, OBJ, and Aaron Donald so uh.

D

Kyle Van Noy couldn't see the field for the Lions and got a sack in the Super Bowl for the Patriots after being traded for a 6th rounder

F

Travis Swanson is a starting center, he's also one of the absolute worst in the league.

D

Everyone else is also very bad in this draft. Burn the Lions to the ground.

Swanson got a lot better this year so I'd grade him a solid B, but as for everyone else...

Also let's not forget the Lions 7th round pick Nate Freese, who lasted 3 weeks and missed 4 field goals.

Edit: jesus christ I still can't get over the fact that six of the 7 picks made after Ebron are pro-bowlers.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 21, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even at the time I was puzzled by the Eric Ebron hype. Like, he was the consensus top TE in that class, but his drop problems were well-documented. Even if you discount drafting him over Lewan/OBJ/Donald, taking a flawed TE 10th overall was just crazypants.

Looking back, that entire TE class was a shitshow. Behind Ebron you had Jace Amaro, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Troy Niklas, none of whom did anything of note. C.J. Fiedorowicz and Richard Rodgers ended up being the most productive of that lot, and they're JAGs at best.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 21, 2017

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Swanson got a lot better this year so I'd grade him a solid B, but as for everyone else...

He was still one of the absolute worst centers in the league. The only saving grace is that he is still a step up from Graham Glasgow.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Intruder posted:

2.1) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG UCLA
After Bridgewater was snapped away I was worried about what the Texans would do with this pick, glad they didn't panic and go QB with Carr or something here. Really like this pick, fills a need with a player I wouldn't expect to be available here

hell, same

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:sigh:

Guess that's why I'm not a GM

But it's mostly nepotism :argh:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Intruder posted:

:sigh:

Guess that's why I'm not a GM

But it's mostly nepotism :argh:

Yeah, very few GMs would risk the public blowback they'd get if the younger brother is a bust when the older one busted hard for the same team, regardless of position, but multiplied if it's a first rnd QB.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Abugadu posted:

Yeah, very few GMs would risk the public blowback they'd get if the younger brother is a bust when the older one busted hard for the same team, regardless of position, but multiplied if it's a first rnd QB.

GM's that concern themselves with blowback from retards are the first to lose their jobs for sucking. What did Teddy's brother do in the NFL? How about Bortles and Manziel? Derek had more exposure to quarterbacking at an NFL level in his youth than any QB prospects in NFL history except for maybe Peyton and Eli. And those two were just little kids. Derek was playing high school and college ball with an active, experienced NFL QB a phone call away. That is an absurdly good situation that any young QB would love to be in, regardless of whether or not said QB warranted his draft selection. Mouthbreathers who think that is anything other than a huge asset should not have any sort of role whatsoever in a teams decision making process. I mean gently caress, could you imagine if the Saints passed on Peyton because Archie was trash? I sure as hell hope the Texans have a better reason than that for passing on Carr, because something that stupid should be grounds for getting fired to death and banished from football.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mastershakeman posted:

Bears:

Overall. Of first three picks, all were IRed , 1 is gone, 1 is about to be gone, and the third may never play well again. The sole 'value' of the class comes from the 6th and 7th round picks. That's horrible. D-.

The last of the Phil Emery draft classes somehow may have been his worst. While 2012 and 13 were bad, at least we got Alshon and Long out of them. The only starter from the 2014 class is Leno, and he really shouldn't even be a starter.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Refusing to spend big on the interior for a QB that needs a solid pocket and to not be rushed immediately is a reason why the Bengals are stupid and why the functionally weak Bodine sucks. He's gotten better but he's still not good enough to play center on the line.

Getting a dude in the 4th who has started almost every game since he has been in the league and has been mediocre, but usually not like embarrassing, is really good.

He has another season to go still but Dennard has been a massive bust so far. Maybe he came into a bad situation in that he wasn't gifted a starting job, but he needed to be better than Dre or Pacman and hasn't been close in his career so far.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

GM's that concern themselves with blowback from retards are the first to lose their jobs for sucking. What did Teddy's brother do in the NFL? How about Bortles and Manziel? Derek had more exposure to quarterbacking at an NFL level in his youth than any QB prospects in NFL history except for maybe Peyton and Eli. And those two were just little kids. Derek was playing high school and college ball with an active, experienced NFL QB a phone call away. That is an absurdly good situation that any young QB would love to be in, regardless of whether or not said QB warranted his draft selection. Mouthbreathers who think that is anything other than a huge asset should not have any sort of role whatsoever in a teams decision making process. I mean gently caress, could you imagine if the Saints passed on Peyton because Archie was trash? I sure as hell hope the Texans have a better reason than that for passing on Carr, because something that stupid should be grounds for getting fired to death and banished from football.

I vaguely remember a bunch of charts comparing Teddy, Bortles, JFF and Carr that made Carr look like a major checkdown artist.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The 2014 New Orleans Saints draft was Brandin Cooks, which I'll give a B+ since he did fine this year. But he's the only one from that draft class still on the team. So overall, that draft would be a D-, at best.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

I vaguely remember a bunch of charts comparing Teddy, Bortles, JFF and Carr that made Carr look like a major checkdown artist.

Yeah me too. Also there was a lot of talk that he didn't do well against the blitz.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Volkerball posted:

Yeah me too. Also there was a lot of talk that he didn't do well against the blitz.

He didn't in college, and he was. He massively improved his play against pressure when he went pro, and his short pass tendency actually helps him in that regard. Kudos to him.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Kinda hard to be a check down artist and pass for 5k yards. The performance under pressure thing was legit, although really blown out of proportion by guys like McShay(who then doubled down and advocated the Raiders take Mariota)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't say he's a checkdown artist, I said he looked like one in college. I don't think anyone (fans I mean) expected him to be able to stretch the field quite as well as he does

Having the second best OL in the NFL probably helps too

e: Ah didn't realize he thew for 5K yards his senior season. But yeah the passing charts that were goign around before the draft showed a huge percentage of his passes within five yards of the LOS

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

I didn't say he's a checkdown artist, I said he looked like one in college. I don't think anyone (fans I mean) expected him to be able to stretch the field quite as well as he does

Having the second best OL in the NFL probably helps too

e: Ah didn't realize he thew for 5K yards his senior season. But yeah the passing charts that were goign around before the draft showed a huge percentage of his passes within five yards of the LOS

The thing people for some reason don't take into account is that like every college offense is designed for lots of short throws.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Giants 2014.

OBJ rules. Weston Richburg is pretty decent if healthy. Jay Bromley was massively overdrafted. Andre Williams sucks rear end and was inexplicably given way too many chances to suck rear end. Nat Berhe is ok when he's not injured. Devon Kennard is pretty good and great value for a 5th rounder. Bennet Jackson was the token NEW JOISEY BOI who got injured a bunch and never played.

Overall not bad, I think. Handful of solid depth guys, a solid offensive lineman an all-world wide receiver. Jay Bromley was an insane reach and not a very good pick but at least the player himself is just a guy instead of a huge disaster. Andre Williams is the only real stinker in this bunch.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
We need a thread for the 2013 draft because woof, what a bunch of stinkers in that first round.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We need a thread for the 2013 draft because woof, what a bunch of stinkers in that first round.

2 pro bowlers in the top half of the first round!

2012 has 7 and 2014 already has 8.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'll do a Lions one as well.

Ebron (TE): D

Some of the worst drop problems in the league, he gets taken down basically every time at first contact, he can't block, he gets nagged by small injuries constantly that keep him out of games, and the players drafted after him are really good. Mayhew asked what weapon Stafford wanted and Stafford said a receiving tight end before the draft. Stafford should not be a GM after his ball playing career is over.

Van Noy (LB): D

It's not really his fault the coaches didn't scheme for him. He's doing work as a Patriot as I think an edge rusher, where we had him in pass coverage and stupid stuff like that that didn't fit his abilities. He looked lost on the field basically whenever the Lions had him out there, including on special teams.

Swanson (C): B

Detroit Dog mentioned he was really bad, but the offense looked noticeably worse when he wasn't on the field (I guess this is the "his plus side is he isn't Graham Gaslow"). However he put a lot of effort on the field when he was out there, and I think he's the guy moving forward. He's a starting center if he keeps up his 2016 play. Also he replaced Raiola and gently caress Raiola.

Webster (DE): F I guess

He's on the Panthers now, but he was cut and put on the practice squad until very late December. I vaguely recall a few times he was on the field.

Lawson (CB): C

He started all 16 games in 2016 and has had over 100 tackles for us since he was drafted, which isn't bad for 4th round pick. Stats according to: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawsNe00.htm

Caraun Reid (DT): C

He had a fumble six against the Seahawks in 2013, so he did something. He also had 2 sacks. Not terrible for the 5th round. Currently on the Chargers.

T.J. Jones (WR): D

Like all Lions players who caught the ball in 2016 he had drop problems, and the coaches were trying to use him on end zone fade routes which was pretty dumb to anyone watching. He looks great during preseason games I guess?

Nate Freese (K): F----

gently caress this guy. 3 for 7 on field goals to start the season. Cut before week 4. Replaced Jason Hanson. Was replaced by an equally bad Alex Henery until Prater came and saved the day along with his near-career ending alcoholism and iron calves of glory. Freese and Henery the stupid fucks cost the Lions at least 2 games from what I remember, and that would have won the division of Green Bay if that hadn't happened.

Overall: D-. What a terrible draft.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Rams

1 - 2 Greg Robinson OT
lovely pick, can't block, has 35 penalties in his last 42 starts. Might be tried out at Guard this year, hopefully never plays tackle again.
F-------- would never draft again

1 - 13 Aaron Donald DT
Best pick Fisher and Co made in 5 years, don't really have to explain why. Only issue is going to be fitting him into Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme.
A+++++ would draft every time

2 - 41 Lamarcus Joyner CB
Kind of an rear end in a top hat, but played really well last season and overtook EJ Gaines as the Rams number 2 corner.
B-

4 - 110 Maurice Alexander S
Started at Free Safety last season after Rodney McLeod went to the Eagles and was a bright spot all season
B+

6 - 188 EJ Gaines
Started his whole rookie year and looked amazing, got hurt and missed the 2015 season then looked pretty awful last year
C-

6 - 214 Garrett Gilbert and 7 -226 Mitchell Van Dyke
Both got cut and practice squaded and left the team after a season
F

7 - 241 Christian Bryant
Lasted 2 years on the practice squad
D

7 - 249 Michael Sam
Was worth it to watch people freak out at 2 men kissing on TV
A++++

7 - 250 Demetrius Rhaney
Still on the team, started 1 game in 2015
D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

DeAndre Hopkins :smug:

ignore the rest of the Texans draft

• Locked thread