Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hello all. I made a feedback thread for RGD. Since this sub might be full of people who live in their bookmarks, I am linking it in here too. Come tell me about RGD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gary referring to Conan O’ Brien as a “grotesque star fucker” is a hilariously scorching take. I enjoy Conan but that criticism isn’t totally off base. Also liked Kole comparing Gary’s aversion to Kojima games to how some people can’t stand cilantro.

Edit: my mistake he was talking about Kojima

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 31, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gary referring to Conan O’ Brien as a “grotesque star fucker”
what episode / timestamp be this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

what episode / timestamp be this

WOFF Dispatch: Good Levels, during the discussion of Death Stranding at 10:30. Upon relistening I may have been mistaken, I think Gary was directing the comment towards Kojima and not Conan. That makes more sense, I haven’t heard much criticism against Conan before.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
ah, I don't know if I listened to that episode in particular but I think they probably said similar things about Kojima in the MGS5 ep

I was curious to see if these hotheaded games podcasters were itching to take that oversized ginger down a peg!! but alas

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

There's some weird synchronicity between keeping up with new episodes and catching up with the backlog. At the same time listening to the Night in the Woods episode, in recent episodes Gary's criticized a new concept in gaming called "vibes gaming", playing games for vibes and being that his new motto is "Verbs, not vibes" it seems like he doesn't understand how vibes gaming works. When I heard him say that I said out loud (to my house) "He coming after vibes now!?"

The way I see it, verbs are the vibes, and vice versa. Every change in how a game plays will change how it feels.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, I straight away understand exactly the kinds of aesthetics Gary's criticising there, so I got no problem with the choice of language. And I've definitely turned off a game after realising I haven't meaningfully interacted with it despite being wholly on board with a positive messaging.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I forget what episode but I kinda liked how he described games without violence in them as cute happy frog games or something equally dismissive.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol during a live show they had a good natured exchange, something like:

Gary: so this game has strong stepdad energy…

Kole: stop saying that about stuff I like!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol during a live show they had a good natured exchange, something like:

Gary: so this game has strong stepdad energy…

Kole: stop saying that about stuff I like!

That was their 7/10 Games show that they published last(?) week, good ep and I hadn't heard Bob Mackie's voice in a hot minute.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
WOO Resident Evil 4 remake episodes just dropped, 3 hours 48 minutes of my work afternoon going to be that bit easier

For what its worth I just didn't click with the RE4 remake, it feels and looks brilliant but I hadn't played the original probably since 2010 or so so ended up going back and replaying that instead ha, maybe this episode will convince me to push the remake to the top of my list

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Excited for the Jak II episode next month. That game was a real gamechanger for me. Also liked the recent episode on Pentiment, didn't play that one, but the episode highlights the importance of games that don't allow the player conclusive answers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Excited for the Jak II episode next month. That game was a real gamechanger for me. Also liked the recent episode on Pentiment, didn't play that one, but the episode highlights the importance of games that don't allow the player conclusive answers.

Oh yeah the Pentiment ep is excellent, dense well crafted games lend themselves well to WOFF, their enthusiasm shines through and they are skilled at summarizing the appeal & plot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dear Gary please don't make fun of Baten Kaitos, thanks.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Real short one on Burnout Paradise. Barely had a structure at all but maybe that's appropriate. I hope they continue to tackle these weird games that don't fall into WOFF's regular format. Unfortunately the WOFF boys show their floppy taste by coming after the music in the game, bashing Jane's Addiction and Faith No More's "Epic" within the span of thirty seconds. Furthermore, it sounds like they are not vibing with Jak II. This next episode... it's going to be turbulent.

Continuing my exploration of their backlog, I failed to notice they stopped doing intro skits– I think EDF was their last one. I always took issue with their goofy skits but now that they are gone, they glow a little brighter. I relistened to the Planescape Torment episodes and even though I've not listened to it in about a decade, I recalled those opening skits pretty distinctly. "Okay. I'vemadeitoutofthemortuary. Now... wherecanIfindFarad?" The mic quality back then wasn't great but the skit quality was quite quite good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love the podcast but the pre show skits always felt like weird in jokes that I didn't get or understand

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah some sketches were ok but for many if they didn’t click I’d just hit the 15 second skip button until the theme music started. Our boys are hilarious but their strength is from banter, and I do like the short game computer gags at the start of Abject Sufferings.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Listening to the Bowser's Fury episode and it was refreshing to hear Gary say Mario Sunshine sucks. I don't think I've ever heard a critic just unequivocally slam it before. As a mainline Mario game I've really tried to like it, but that game is straight up not fun IMO.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gary has some bad opinions, but no one is perfect

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It's got one of the best soundtracks of a Mario game though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I recall when Sunshine was released it was underwhelming as the series had gone from Mario being on an adventure with a clear goal to instead being a resort janitor for pineapple people with a water jet pack. At the time I didn’t have a GameCube but when I saw a friend playing it felt like an novelty rather than a tent pole release, & when combined with Luigi’s Mansion & Windwaker’s art style felt like Nintendo had gone exclusively kid friendly, at a time when a lot of their core audience had aged into wanting GTA3 or Halo on competitors’ platforms. GameCube did broaden its appeal with excellent multiplayer Smash & Kart, but in my experience none of my peers were rushing out to buy Cubes only because of Sunshine.

Kinda related, had been out of Nintendo ecosystem for a while when I got a Switch & got confused why I couldn’t buy Galaxy 2 in the eShop. Nintendo!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Sunshine has really good feeling movement with fludd and great summer/tropical vibes but the game is obviously unpolished and unfinished; a lot of not great level design and uninteresting and annoying challenges.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is the most intense mad cause bad I've heard in a minute, regarding Jak II

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

As someone who loved Jak 1 and binned Jak 2 after a few hours I really enjoyed their takedown lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Ooh looking forward to it. Wonder what level of donation would be necessary for Gary to play through Kingdom Hearts.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Wow, what an episode!

No matter which side you fall on the Jak II debate, you can acknowledge that we are all better– society is better– because of that sharp discussion on today's WOFF. Frankly, I think they were a little harsh on some aspects while others I can agree with them completely. I still think it's a pretty great game even with the difficulty problems and still love it. Glad the WOFF guys could check out this franchise.

Also, in my exploration of the back catalogue, I've noticed that Gary likes the word 'bespoke' more than most people.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Also, in my exploration of the back catalogue, I've noticed that Gary likes the word 'bespoke' more than most people.

A Garyism I’ve picked up that helped me understand why I like or dislike some games is describing them as having a limited verb set for how the player interacts with the world. Like for RDR2 there is a massive detailed world but 99% of the story missions come down to “ride here, shoot dozens of guys, ride back” and in my opinion the decision to use such a limited verb set was a big mistake. For contrast GTAIV ballad of gay Tony has a similar world but goes full wacky with missions then allows you to use gadgets in free roam, way more fun.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ooh looking forward to it. Wonder what level of donation would be necessary for Gary to play through Kingdom Hearts.

I think you’d have to kidnap Kole and trade him back in exchange for the episode. No dollar amount would do it. Has to be a blood price.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

As interesting as the Jak II episode was, I don't think that kind of outrage is something I'd want very often. A Kingdom Hearts episode would be bad WOFF. Without even playing the games, Gary's clocked the problems of Kingdom Hearts pretty accurately and I don't think the episode would uncover much more. It would be 2-4 hours of Gary and Kole saying, "This is stupid" over and over again and that's never entertaining or profound.

Also, I feel like something got ate by a time hole because I thought that WOFF covered the first Baldur's Gate. I know they did Dark Alliance and the sequel but the first has been untouched?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DoubleCakes posted:

As interesting as the Jak II episode was, I don't think that kind of outrage is something I'd want very often. A Kingdom Hearts episode would be bad WOFF. Without even playing the games, Gary's clocked the problems of Kingdom Hearts pretty accurately and I don't think the episode would uncover much more. It would be 2-4 hours of Gary and Kole saying, "This is stupid" over and over again and that's never entertaining or profound.

Also, I feel like something got ate by a time hole because I thought that WOFF covered the first Baldur's Gate. I know they did Dark Alliance and the sequel but the first has been untouched?

One of the grossest holes in the Woff archives along with having covered thief 3 but no Dark project or Metal Age

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I played thief I went and searched for the episode because I remembered listening to it before. Fully Mandela'd myself

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Huh you’re right, guessing combo of how Baldur’s Gate 2 took four episodes to cover adequately and improved on pretty much all parts, along with how while the first was an achievement it isn’t terribly interesting to someone who didn’t grow up with it. I played through the first and while it was fun at the time can’t imagine going through it again, and it wasn’t as important to gaming history as Fallout 1, which also offered way more freedom and a setting lending itself well to discussion.

Guessing they’ll cover BGIII at some point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the CRPG deep dive for newcomers, I played 5-10 hours of Baldur's Gate 2 a decade ago and have had a pile of CRPGs to play slowly growing in my collection ever since then. The note about Shadowrun Returns being an intermediate between tactics RPG and full-on CRPG was particularly useful as I own that fame, maybe I'll start there for my onboarding.

Also don't worry Gary, Royal Assassin isn't really worth anything unless you have the absolute oldest printings of it (and even then the price is largely driven by the age). Losing out on those dual lands is a bummer though, but even then Reserved List Magic cards didn't get outrageously expensive until 5-6 years ago. I'm guessing that you would have sold them by then if not for that weird dragon D&D campaign book that you bought :v:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Thank you for the CRPG deep dive for newcomers, I played 5-10 hours of Baldur's Gate 2 a decade ago and have had a pile of CRPGs to play slowly growing in my collection ever since then. The note about Shadowrun Returns being an intermediate between tactics RPG and full-on CRPG was particularly useful as I own that fame, maybe I'll start there for my onboarding.

Also don't worry Gary, Royal Assassin isn't really worth anything unless you have the absolute oldest printings of it (and even then the price is largely driven by the age). Losing out on those dual lands is a bummer though, but even then Reserved List Magic cards didn't get outrageously expensive until 5-6 years ago. I'm guessing that you would have sold them by then if not for that weird dragon D&D campaign book that you bought :v:

Oh if you’re looking to play Shadowrun PC games, would highly recommend starting with Dragonfall. By far the best in the series & is near the top of tactical RPGs of all time, especially as it’s not a colossal time commitment.

Dang I need to catch up on the show, I’m like a month behind as I was trying to finish audiobooks. I remember paying $15 for Royal assassin and that seemed like a lot in the 90s. A buddy had four of them along with other valuable cards, and after that deck went missing at recess I think the school had to tell students to stop bringing CCG cards as the confused administrators didn’t like dealing with what they had thought were just playing cards going missing but parents were saying were worth hundreds of dollars.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh if you’re looking to play Shadowrun PC games, would highly recommend starting with Dragonfall. By far the best in the series & is near the top of tactical RPGs of all time, especially as it’s not a colossal time commitment.

Dang I need to catch up on the show, I’m like a month behind as I was trying to finish audiobooks. I remember paying $15 for Royal assassin and that seemed like a lot in the 90s. A buddy had four of them along with other valuable cards, and after that deck went missing at recess I think the school had to tell students to stop bringing CCG cards as the confused administrators didn’t like dealing with what they had thought were just playing cards going missing but parents were saying were worth hundreds of dollars.

Counterpoint: I own Returns but not Dragonfall or Hong Kong, which I know everybody says are much better than Returns. Maybe if I like Returns well enough I will pick up Dragonfall!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The King’s Quest 8 abject suffering is top tier. Great tangent on which MLB mascots should go in the wicker man.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The King’s Quest 8 abject suffering is top tier.
Man I totally memory-holed that game. Was a big enough fan of the good-looking kings quests (5-7) but didn't want anything to do with KQ8 at the time because it looked like rear end.

I'm surprised wikipedia says it got "above-average reviews"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Got finished listening to their Psychonauts episode and that might be one of the best they've ever done? It certainly feels like it with the dichotomy of Gary disliking the gameplay aspects of Psychonauts and Double Fine but loving the character of Tim Schafer and the writing of the game. How many episodes have that level of tension?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Gary has some bad opinions, but no one is perfect

I kinda fell off the podcast for quite a while due partially to Patreon reasons and partially because I was frustrated with Gary Opinions and demotivated from fixing the Patreon issues but recently for the good levels dispatch I was like "That sounds fun I'm gonna listen" and the first question was basically "so Gary I think you're super valid for hating Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I love Metal Gear, but I gotta agree Gary is right.