Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't disagree with him entirely about any of his hot takes or even mild takes it's just sometimes it gets real old hearing about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think I could listen to hours of Gary complaining about Metal Gear but I know that would be a bad podcast and would alienate most people. The thing about his hatred for Kingdom Hearts is that I don't think he's played any of the games, really. It's weird having such impassioned opinions on something he's mostly experienced through the franchise's fans, but I think its mostly him venting his hatred of the Power of Friendship trope– which is totally fair, that trope is so overdone and obvious that it can't even be a narrative theme. But I think there are more profound criticisms to be levelled at the KH franchise that Gary isn't familiar with that are more interesting to talk about.

It's also weird how he pairs up Kojima and Nomura. Those two creators have very different reputations. They're both auteurs but Kojima has been seen as a capital-A Artist for most of his career and only recently with the mixed reception of Death Stranding has his general opinion been tarnished. Nomura? I don't think he's ever been taken seriously. His designs have been criticized frequently since the PS2 era and the plots of Kingdom Hearts have been met with great criticism, too. His ability to direct is constantly on trial. People like him but it's in a heavily ironic way in which fans like his work but know the guy has made a lot of bad creative decisions.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I disagree with a lot of Gary's opinions, but even the ones I do agree with I don't think he expresses them in a way that makes for a fun or interesting podcast so I very rarely listen to WoFF anymore.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I disagree, I think Gary does a good job of articulating his points, and both he and Kole have interesting/correct opinions (opinions I agree with are defacto the correct ones) enough to override the occasional wrong ones.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 14, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My WOFF listening these days is either
1. Listening to the generalities of a game about which I'm curious, but will likely never play (or that I own but need a kick in the butt to start playing, looking at you Crimson Shroud)
2. Hearing some different perspectives on a game that I have already played, maybe one that I haven't touched in a long time.

Whenever I feel the need to get worked up over someone else's video game opinion, I remember that they are just video games and ultimately not that important.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I genuinely, honestly and vehemently disagree with Gary's views on Banjo-Kazooie, but every time they bring it up I'm smiling because he's an extraordinarily funny guy. I wouldn't change the way they do things for the world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

C-Euro posted:

Whenever I feel the need to get worked up over someone else's video game opinion, I remember that they are just video games and ultimately not that important.

whats more important?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked Gary chuckling at the idea of someone playing Jak II then running to write the Nightmare Fuel entry on TV Tropes. Kole has a new snake encounter story in Best Quality Vacuum, fortunately more positive than last time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

They're taking a break from BQV to stand by the actor strikes, which I understand.

I've been catching up still and passed the Gunstar Heroes episode which feels like a game they did in the first 50 episodes and not one in the middle of their 200s. Good episode at least, and even if it touches on to some political stuff it could have been one they did in the earlier couple years of WOFF.

I've also been looking at some of their older episodes and listened to the Half-Life one because that is the first episode I wrote into and in the extrasode he has that great story about going to a Portland magic show where I guy closed the show with "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and clapped to the beat before the song even began which Gary used as a recurring joke in Teenage Dirtbags.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

I've also been looking at some of their older episodes and listened to the Half-Life one because that is the first episode I wrote into and in the extrasode he has that great story about going to a Portland magic show where I guy closed the show with "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and clapped to the beat before the song even began which Gary used as a recurring joke in Teenage Dirtbags.

Lol I enjoy Gay keeping an eye on that oddball magician, apparently he’s begun selling Magician Lives Matter shirts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Finally got around to listening to Days of Future Cast. It’s good!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Latest on Aria on Sorrow was good. Gary voiced some thoughts on the old Castlevanias being kind of outdated and Metroidvania being that very easy combo genre to like that people were clamouring for back in the day! But the indie space has changed the overall love for Metroidvanias.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone ever pitch them on brining back Monster in my Podcast, but with Jorge Luis Borges Book of Imaginary Beings? That would be a loving trip

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone ever pitch them on brining back Monster in my Podcast, but with Jorge Luis Borges Book of Imaginary Beings? That would be a loving trip

This is tangential as heck but we ran into some Perytons in our OSE game recently and I'd always assumed they were some ancient mythical creature, but they were a Borges original from that book. I first heard about them in a 2nd edition Monstrous Manual but they clearly grabbed them from Borges because they have the cast a human shadow thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is tangential as heck but we ran into some Perytons in our OSE game recently and I'd always assumed they were some ancient mythical creature, but they were a Borges original from that book. I first heard about them in a 2nd edition Monstrous Manual but they clearly grabbed them from Borges because they have the cast a human shadow thing.

Borges references run deep and always in the most unexpected places. The final Zeon space fortress in Mobile Suit Gundam is named Á Bao A Qu after the creature that dwells in the tower of victory in the first section of Borge's collection.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
re Super Mario Land theme park, Kole had asked about expansion of the area and they actually are doing that in Japan, a Doneky Kong themed area and roller coaster is opening in 2024. The Orlando park opens in 2025 and will have the same attractions as Japan, so the Mario Kart ride, the Yoshi Safari ride (currently Japan only), and the Donkey Kong area/coaster.

With how popular the movie was, I would not be surprised if they add other areas/rides in the future. Universal Orlando was kinda well past its prime outside of the Harry Potter area, which has great themeing despite its creators terfism. Just bulldoze everything else and make it all Nintendo themed.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was so down for the Aria Of Sorrow episode until Gary decided to double down on his extremely bizarre goon-grade anime complaining to say that the game is about the power of friendship somehow.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's been awhile so I gave a couple Abject Suffering episodes a listen. Quickly remembered that discussion of the game is only a small fraction of the show. I put on the latest episode on Big Sky Trooper. I have vague memories of playing that game on emulation and I remember it having the feeling of being pretty hard to get into and repetitive in a way that reminds me of other space games like Space Pirates and Zombies and Halcyon 6.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What is Spotify doing to the podcast industry? I listen to like 2 or 3 podcasts, so I'm unaware of larger trends I guess

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is Spotify doing to the podcast industry? I listen to like 2 or 3 podcasts, so I'm unaware of larger trends I guess

One of the great things about podcasts is that it's still a relatively open medium. You can pay a small hosting fee and your podcast is then available everywhere in the world, and the people you're paying generally aren't one of the big mega-corps that dominate the rest of the tech industry. This is great for listeners since they have a wide variety of options for finding and listening to the episodes.

Then Spotify came along and started making deals with podcast creators, paying them big bucks to make their podcast exclusive to the platform. Joe Rogan was the biggest one, but there's tons more. Now those podcasts, which you may or may not listen to, are only available via Spotify, so listeners have less choice in how they get to it.

The last I checked, the money wasn't working out for them, so they're now dumping tons of staff in the podcast division, which sucks for the staff, the people that want to listen to these shows, and the people making these shows. Spotify isn't the only one doing this, either.

tl;dr it's another example of for profit companies hijacking open Internet standards to make a buck

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for the answer! It's interesting to have been alive from the advent of podcasts to see their trajectory.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Joe Rogan one was just annoying - he had some brilliant guests on his podcast - Louis Theroux, John Carmack, Brian Cox, but as soon as you can't get a podcast on Podcast Addict it's dead to me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The business with podcasts for Spotify never made sense. They make money streaming 3min songs by the hundreds, how are they expecting to make cash from hours long podcasts. Their app is also very poor for actually listening to them; aside from some podcasts that talk about music that get the benefit of being able to insert the full songs into the show, there really isn't any compelling reason to use Spotify for podcasts either as a listener or as an artist.

Really just Spotify feeling the heat of competition from Apple and Google and searching for growth in all the wrong places.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

LPOTL was the only podcast I followed that left for Spotify so I dropped it. Apparently they had to dump their own production crew for Spotify's in-house?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Doughboys podcast had a side project on Spotify where they took listener calls and it was hilarious, but oddly got cancelled earlier than their contracted number of episodes although they mentioned they were paid for the full amount. From larger context sounded like Spotify had decided to launch a bunch of shows but it didn’t pan out so mass cancellation, for mystery reasons:

quote:

Spotify executive calls Harry and Meghan ‘grifters’ after podcast deal ends
Bill Simmons, head of podcast innovation and monetisation at Spotify, spoke out after the couple’s $20m deal with the company ended prematurely

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2023/jun/19/spotify-executive-calls-harry-and-meghan-grifters-after-podcast-deal-ends

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Simmon's is a real one for that. Dude's been grinding for decades and then these royal failures come and think they can just get millions to pod. gently caress Spotify for that and thank Simmons for calling them out.

Really the whole Spotify podcast empire can go to hell as long as they keep The Rewatchables and Big Picture.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm extremely excited for this new BG3 show

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Kole bellowing "THE CROSSOVER EVENT OF THE CENTURY" and then subsequently laughing himself to death on the latest Abject Suffering is giving me life.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Kole bellowing "THE CROSSOVER EVENT OF THE CENTURY" and then subsequently laughing himself to death on the latest Abject Suffering is giving me life.

Oh yeah that’s a good one. I also liked their highlights of Todd McFarlane taking Spawn way too seriously.

Currently listening to Sonic 2 ep & Will is an excellent guest. I liked how Gary was miserable sitting alone on a couch watching the movie & Kole noted that’s how he consumes all media.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gary Cole but not Coleman what

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Unfilmable on American Movie was fascinating especially as they both have Midwest experiences to make it more relatable.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm still getting caught up and I just passed episode 300 including the trilogy of Dragon Age 2 episodes and for a game that's been whispered at over the course of the podcast I was expecting a more substantial discussion. Don't get me wrong, the eps were entertaining but the takeaway I took from Dragon Age 2 is that it's a kinda rushed WRPG with centrist politics and it felt like there should have been a more profound statement on a game that was kinda hyped up.

The episode(s) introduced me to a new useful term, though. Gary mentioned that one character had very "key frame" character development and that's a term I'm going to utilize because it's a thing I don't like in stories when a character's arc is the basic beats and lacking in transitional moments.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just an exhausting game to talk about I think. There's so much so ill considered that talking about the intentions feels like a waste of breath.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Lol I just listened that was an amazing tangent.

DoubleCakes posted:

The episode(s) introduced me to a new useful term, though. Gary mentioned that one character had very "key frame" character development and that's a term I'm going to utilize because it's a thing I don't like in stories when a character's arc is the basic beats and lacking in transitional moments.

Oh yeah Gary is good at summing up issues like that. I often think of how he refers to a game “having a limited vocabulary,” in regards to mission structure & activities, and it helped me to understand why some games don’t click for me. Like how RDR2 had some upsides but the character vocabulary being limited to “ride there, shoot everyone, ride back” with rare exceptions hurt the missions (in my opinion.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Howling at whoever wrote into the latest WOFF Dispatch with "how do you change your political beliefs?". A good thing to think about in a general sense, but an insane thing to write into a video game podcast (yes I realize they keep a section open for general life questions)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I guess if you're someone raised in a right-wing rabbit hole, a videogame podcast could legitimately be the first place that you get exposed to a contrary view. Still absolutely wild to think about.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Adaption Decay on Game Over is a lot of fun, I was surprised neither Gary or Kole had heard of it before. Had a chuckle when Kole said he was excited to use it to do violence against Gary.

The Jacob’s Ladder ep was also good, wasn’t sure why Kole liked it so much until it became clear it was a Silent Hill movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Too late for this year but I'd really like to hear them talk about Over the Garden Wall. I think there's a lot of stuff they could talk about plus dancing skeletons

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Actors strike is over! Sounds like “America needs Best Quality Vacuum” was decisive in bringing both sides together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Finally, we'll discover what's going on with those nasty Salamanca twins.

As for WOFF, I recently finished the Magic Circle episode and I'm with Gary that, on paper, that game sounds so good and there are so many elements that are very realized, but overall it's a failure as a piece of art. It's the kind of game that's stuck in my head for years now and I sometimes wonder why it's not remembered more fondly and that episode reminded me... oh yeah.

There was also the Last of Us episode and I take back what I said about Kole laughing himself to death on that Abject episode. Kole is actually laughing himself to death on that 'giraffes took over' riff. You can hear the years seeping out of him as he violently cackles.