Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It was my edit. For what it's worth, I threw every audio production trick I could think of at it.

Edit: Since this is a new page, I'll give more information. I did a test call with our guest ahead of time, and thought what I was hearing was Skype distortion. She was legible, though, so I had her record local audio and send it over so I could sync it up. Turns out the distortion was from her headset mic, not Skype, so even the local audio sounded kind of artificial. Rather than throw out four hours of audio, I worked hard to use EQ and compression to clean things up. I know it's pretty far from ideal, but this is the first I've heard someone say they straight up couldn't listen to it.

Just so people know we did due diligence on it.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm taking a break from BFSC until the victory lap season anyway cause I would like something more positive than what I know Nioh is going to be and don't give a Fuuuuuuck about Hollow Knight.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I've actually managed to miss almost everything about Nioh, so I'm pretty excited to listen to it. I have such a weird image of what the game is right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

I've actually managed to miss almost everything about Nioh, so I'm pretty excited to listen to it. I have such a weird image of what the game is right now.

It's Dark Souls in Japan with loot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dig the aesthetic and general goofiness it allows for in the plot but it doesn't play very well. Somewhere above Lords of the Fallen but under even the worst Soulsborne.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weekly font posted:

I dig the aesthetic and general goofiness it allows for in the plot but it doesn't play very well. Somewhere above Lords of the Fallen but under even the worst Soulsborne.

Watch out buddy. The Nioh Defense Squad is probably dispatching a crew to your house right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nioh is good. Not great, but good. I also didn't finish it, though. Boring rear end too long water blob monster made me put it down.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yakuza is a darn good WOFF. Fun to get an open world game in the mix.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I like Radio Song ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Woffle posted:

Watch out buddy. The Nioh Defense Squad is probably dispatching a crew to your house right now.

I have tasted the edge of Hanzo steel and was surprised to find it similar to mountain dew

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I played a lot of Bugs Bunny: Lost In Time as a young sprat

A bit disappointed they didn't look up some of the later levels on youtube, but hey, Gamefaqs Gold is always good.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Loving Beholderfest '17. I would love to see you guys give The Illithiad the MimP treatment somewhere in the future.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
these patreon changes are great since they gave me every single jingle, even teenage dirtbag one off segments and the abject suffering rap. Get in on that stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I now get to pay to be told to gently caress off to my face. Living the dream.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The bizarre rambling chirps of the R Zone theme make me laugh every time, I love it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GNU Order posted:

The bizarre rambling chirps of the R Zone theme make me laugh every time, I love it

Haha yeah, those episodes are always a treat. SSX Tricky is a good ep so far, fun when they cover sports games outside the usual genres. Mutant League Football or Blood Bowl might be interesting topics. Maybe even a Madden, just for the tangents.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The only football games I have real opinions about are Tecmo Bowl, Mutant League Football, Madden 94 for the SNES, and NFL 2K5. Who knows? Anything is possible in WOFF Rising.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Abject Suffering on Blitz: The League, please.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Even in the alt-sports games space it's kinda hard to find something that has an interesting enough level/character/sound/visual design and mechanics that make it worth talking about, above and beyond the sport it's from.

Most sports have a strict enough rule set that discussions about a game can kinda start and end there. A game I love way more than I should is Backbreaker, and there's not much to say about it other than "Hey you know football? Well they used the Euphoria engine so the movement feels and looks good and also the players ragdoll when tackled instead of going into precanned animations"

Tricky is definitely the Woffiest sports game.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Even in the alt-sports games space it's kinda hard to find something that has an interesting enough level/character/sound/visual design and mechanics that make it worth talking about, above and beyond the sport it's from.

Most sports have a strict enough rule set that discussions about a game can kinda start and end there. A game I love way more than I should is Backbreaker, and there's not much to say about it other than "Hey you know football? Well they used the Euphoria engine so the movement feels and looks good and also the players ragdoll when tackled instead of going into precanned animations"

Tricky is definitely the Woffiest sports game.

That's true rule sets don't change much from year to year, but I think sports games do have significant importance in gaming history that tends to be overlooked by podcasts such as Retronauts and Duckfeed. The older sports games had such wonderful goofiness like Sega compressing John Madden voice clips onto a cart, playing hockey games for the fighting, or trying to figure out how point systems work in boxing.

The only sports that seems to get coverage is wrestling games, but stuff like NBA Jam rivaled Street Fighter in popularity. Overall the game selection on the network is good, but throwing in a football manager or NFL Blitz would offer lots of new ground for discussion.

In my opinion, WOFF worthy sports games could include:
-NBA Jam
-Super Punch Out
-Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
-Blitz

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 5, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Oh whoops I totally forgot about the Backyard series (Baseball, Basketball, Football etc) which own really hard(when I was a kid, and could be really simple and boring now afaik)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
BMX XXX

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

misadventurous posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Definitely the best sports game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
WOFF barkley would be incredible, make that the summer jrpg some time.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Subscribed for the hot takes on South Park (fart).

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Was cringing during the Congo podcast when you guys implied that Apes aren't dope as gently caress.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Was cringing during the Congo podcast when you guys implied that Apes aren't dope as gently caress.

They did introduce us to Buffo though

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Yeah those movies own

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
And Woody Harrelson owns in it, dumb trailer line or no

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The MGS2 WOFF is great. I laughed when Kole explained how he would throw Raiden to a watery grave rather than deal with alerts.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Damnit just thought of a good question for BFC halfway through the goodbye ep

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Ah, I hate it when that happens. Oh well, it probably wasn't that good.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I thought about asking about similarities between Dark Souls and old-school dungeon crawlers. Hopefully one day they'll do a WOFF on Grimrock or similar, it's an emerging retro genre and it doesn't get much discussion on most retro-gaming shows.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Damnit just thought of a good question for BFC halfway through the goodbye ep

Due to life/work/etc I'm always a few eps behind so I'll think of a question and it will be faaaaaaaaaaar too late

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
I bowed out of the Duckfeed podcasts for a while, but I started listening again and I forgot how well done they are. I remember truly loving Bonfireside Chat and wanting to explore more of their content so I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs. I had tried listening to The Level many years ago, and one of the people on it had a really grating voice that made it hard to listen to. Watch Out For Fireballs is really good though. The two hosts have really great chemistry and they play the games I have a deep affection for.

It bums me out though that they pretty much have to blitz through discussing the games. I just listened to the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines episode and I wanted them to slow it down. I preferred how Bonfireside chat could linger on the smaller details of a Dark Souls section.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jred250 posted:

I bowed out of the Duckfeed podcasts for a while, but I started listening again and I forgot how well done they are. I remember truly loving Bonfireside Chat and wanting to explore more of their content so I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs. I had tried listening to The Level many years ago, and one of the people on it had a really grating voice that made it hard to listen to. Watch Out For Fireballs is really good though. The two hosts have really great chemistry and they play the games I have a deep affection for.

It bums me out though that they pretty much have to blitz through discussing the games. I just listened to the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines episode and I wanted them to slow it down. I preferred how Bonfireside chat could linger on the smaller details of a Dark Souls section.

It seems like the new format of WoFF is going to allow for longer discussions.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

jred250 posted:

It bums me out though that they pretty much have to blitz through discussing the games. I just listened to the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines episode and I wanted them to slow it down.

We recorded the Bloodlines episode before we understood what the ideal pace for that kind of game would be. It's way too quick, and if we did it today that would be a two-parter for sure.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I doubt we'll ever straight up revisit a game, but if we ever did, Bloodlines would be my vote. Maybe if we do a Duck Bundle 2, that'd be a good candidate. Alternatively, maybe as part of a month bundle with Redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Just picked up West of Loathing, and was amused to see the map locations named after Gary and Kole.