Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember the commentary on Who Shot Mr Burns part 1 not being allowed to mention the culprit and it felt silly as c’mon I bought the DVDs and am listening to the commentary I probably know who did it.

LOL, that's incredible! They weren't playing along with a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Strange Aeon posted:

LOL, that's incredible! They weren't playing along with a bit?

Been a few years so forgive me if I botch details, but i recall that I was looking forward to as I was hoping they would point out all the little clues & discuss how behind the scenes they decided on the culprit. I don’t think they were doing a bit or being coy, it felt like a wasted opportunity as that commentary crew is likely never going to be assembled again.

The DVD also included a weird promo episode of America’s most wanted hosted by John Walsh about Mr. Burns, which felt like a poorly conceived gimmick. Walsh suffers a horrible loss of a child & wants justice so he hosts his (problematic) show, ok makes sense. But he doesn’t veto a wacky parody episode? Guess the money was good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The best skit was the New Vegas song and nothing can top that so I get why they stopped

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
The Year of the Tadpole (S*mmer of C*m) was a high point but I don't remember if that was WOFF or Abject Suffering.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

SkeletonHero posted:

The Year of the Tadpole (S*mmer of C*m) was a high point but I don't remember if that was WOFF or Abject Suffering.

Abject Suffering, it’s the Super Boy Allan episode

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Abject Suffering, it’s the Super Boy Allan episode

I know I have tried to find this multiple times before and failed, so thank you, genuinely

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I remember Summer of C*m. That didn't literally make me throw up in my mouth, but it did figuratively.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol a Kole tweet went viral and hit the Reddit front page. Didn’t even have to scroll very far. https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/y8s9iq/elden_ring_burial/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Listening to the latest WOFF Dispatch and in love with the listener who wrote in about buying a Steam deck despite not knowing anything about PC gaming. That's a good chunk of change to spend on something that you know nothing about, especially when Gary talks about his distaste for the modern hype marketing cycle right before said discussion.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The latest episode on Mankind Divided: I really dug it. As someone who enjoyed that game despite it being a weird middle chapter in a longer narrative, it's cool that other people appreciate it. It's been a good six years since I played it but I remember digging the atmosphere a lot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

The latest episode on Mankind Divided: I really dug it. As someone who enjoyed that game despite it being a weird middle chapter in a longer narrative, it's cool that other people appreciate it. It's been a good six years since I played it but I remember digging the atmosphere a lot.

Oh yeah it’s an excellent ep, I like Gary’s enthusiasm and how they’re able to explain specific things they like.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
bananaparty.wav from this week's Abject Suffering is a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDaZVq82-EM

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Duckstream 2022 has begun! Come see the boys!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Shadowrun Hong Kong is a solid WOFF. Really hope we get a few more in that series, the idea of a different city hub each time was excellent and the games weren’t ridiculous time commitments. Dragonfall had one of my favorite bad endings in game history.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Listening to the first part of the Hades WOFF and am shocked to hear that Kole has apparently never played a roguelike. Though I guess the big roguelike explosion of a decade or so ago was when the show was still focused on retro games so it makes sense that you wouldn't have played any for the show back then. I always thought FTL would be a good shorter game to play for the show, maybe in a month when you had something else more expansive on the schedule.

Also I am not a big pomegranate guy (the actual food, not the power-up) but I hear that the trick is to peel them underwater so the mess is contained.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I know they'd both love the setting and story telling of Caves of Qud but it seems unlikely their format would really work for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

C-Euro posted:

Listening to the first part of the Hades WOFF and am shocked to hear that Kole has apparently never played a roguelike.

Woff canon is that Kole hates Rogue likes and Gary wants to quit the podcast, move to a desert island and play Issac all night and day

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I know they'd both love the setting and story telling of Caves of Qud but it seems unlikely their format would really work for it.

Qud should be a pretty good format fit imo: straightforward main quest, and options to enable saves / non-permadeath. It would be similar in structure like a Bethesda open world rpg basically. Could even copy the "big rpg" episode format: 1 ep on mechanics, 1 on main quest, 1 on side content.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

One of my favorite parts of newer episodes is catching all the Tim Robinson references, like deciding Dionysus is Sammy Paradise.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Latest episode on Lucah was pretty good. It's similar to the Strangeland episode where it's the two guys being unimpressed with very serious subject matter, making a lot of jokes but not crossing a line where they make fun of the problematic themes themselves.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Got worried when our hosts thought the Cryptkeeper was dead. He’s not only alive but on Cameo.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Who is zoo dog?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kole spending his holiday break admiring a relative’s new garage is on brand.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just listened to the Mario 3 episode and was surprised they couldn't figure out how everyone knew about crouching on white blocks and getting the warp whistle, given they even talked about the Wizard movie in the episode AND that's where they got the name for WOFF from.

The movie shows the main character getting behind the scenery in the early stage to get the first warp whistle, which is how every American kid knew to do it. I don't remember how they justify the kid in the movie knowing how, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Y'all mentioned having done an episode on Hyper Light Drifter during the recent Cuphead WOFF, but I can't seem to find it in the WOFF Archive. Was that on a different Duckfeed show?

VVVV Thanks!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 10, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

C-Euro posted:

Y'all mentioned having done an episode on Hyper Light Drifter during the recent Cuphead WOFF, but I can't seem to find it in the WOFF Archive. Was that on a different Duckfeed show?

That one was a Bonfireside Chat.

https://www.bonfireside.chat/109

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
LOL at Gary's complete meltdown over Ender Lilies' "reverse lullaby".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I like how they aren’t fans of the Zelda franchise and have defensible reasons, without being contrarian. Not a common take in the gaming world.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Rip kole,.sorry the Kia Boyz got you

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Abject Suffering has been on a strong streak, 499 was especially delightful.

I liked the WOFF on Bard’s Tale. Felt they missed the mark on Norco, I’m not familiar with the game but seems it is beloved by leftist gamers, that our hosts would usually agree with like for Disco Elysium, but that WOFF spent too much time apologizing for not liking it. I’d understand a quick mention that they liked the concept but felt the execution was off but their second guessing went on for like half an hour and hurt the energy. Wish they’d gone the Ocarina of Time route & not worried about the fanbase and just given their harsh opinion about what didn’t work while praising some elements.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think they were being that apologetic about not liking NORCO. Most of what I remember about that episode is them thinking the writing was very sketch and had some pretty laughable moments like the player detering fascists by calling them out on hypocrisy like that would work. I got a good idea of what the game is like. I think that was the same episode where Gary voiced his dislike for the idea of "vibe gaming" which I have a hard disagree with. I love vibe gaming!

Now that I'm done Breaking Bad, I'm caught up on Best Quality Vacuum and it's been pretty great if a little dry and unsurprising. I appreciate that each episode of podcast isn't 300% the length of the episode of the show. The discussion is rich and as someone who came off of BB feeling it was a teensy bit mid, the discussions they are having are shining new light on the show. But am I weird for thinking that Walt punching that air dryer in 14 Days Off was supposed to be triumphant? That's what I took away from it when I first saw the episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Listened to the latest abject suffering and drat rip kole, killed on air by a gary joke

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't think they were being that apologetic about not liking NORCO. Most of what I remember about that episode is them thinking the writing was very sketch and had some pretty laughable moments like the player detering fascists by calling them out on hypocrisy like that would work. I got a good idea of what the game is like. I think that was the same episode where Gary voiced his dislike for the idea of "vibe gaming" which I have a hard disagree with. I love vibe gaming!

Now that I'm done Breaking Bad, I'm caught up on Best Quality Vacuum and it's been pretty great if a little dry and unsurprising. I appreciate that each episode of podcast isn't 300% the length of the episode of the show. The discussion is rich and as someone who came off of BB feeling it was a teensy bit mid, the discussions they are having are shining new light on the show. But am I weird for thinking that Walt punching that air dryer in 14 Days Off was supposed to be triumphant? That's what I took away from it when I first saw the episode.

Oh gotcha that’s fair. I think I was a little frustrated by the WOFF getting off to what felt like a slower start than usual, and bailed about an hour in as it didn’t seem terribly interesting.

100% on Best Quality Vacuum, I like how the network has enough big shows they can do smaller passion projects. Yeah I’d agree that while BB is overall solid and was a lot of fun during the original run when you had to wait a week on cliffhangers & could speculate how it would end, I did one rewatch & when you know the big twists it loses a lot. Regarding the dryer yeah I haven’t seen that ep in a while but I think what it was is he had made peace with dying and selling their cook would have brought in enough, but now he’s gonna live & has to keep dealing with his family?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Listened to the latest abject suffering and drat rip kole, killed on air by a gary joke

Looking forward to it! I forget the context but one of my favorite lines from a while back was Kole saying “Gary you’ve gone too far!”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrBa is good in the same sense The Shield is, it's got a ton of really cool holy poo poo moments and crazy poo poo popping off paired with some interesting and memorable characters.

Better Call Saul is great in the Soprano's, Wire, Mad Men sense of being one of the few shows to use the slow burn nature of TV as a medium to allow you to fully inhabit and understand the psyche's and actions of people and groups in the show. It's also got the best Cinematography on TV by far.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A coworker told me their controversial view that breaking bad would have been better dropping a season or two, and as time goes on I think they might have been right. Like, what was the point of the plane crash? Oh Walt's casual evil is causing unintended deaths? Did the meth epidemic he's single handedly causing not count, even though that's a 1:1 cause and effect and not a Rube Goldberg chain of nonsense that mostly other people's fault?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been listening to episodes and they keep referring to a game that shall not be named, which is kinda infuriating if you're like me and not caught up in discourse.

What game is it and why are they treating it that way? I like their politics so I'm sure I'll probably come to a similar conclusion but I'd like to understand the context too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been listening to episodes and they keep referring to a game that shall not be named, which is kinda infuriating if you're like me and not caught up in discourse.

What game is it and why are they treating it that way? I like their politics so I'm sure I'll probably come to a similar conclusion but I'd like to understand the context too.

I think it's the Harry Potter game that came out a few months ago, Hogwarts Legacy or something?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

A coworker told me their controversial view that breaking bad would have been better dropping a season or two, and as time goes on I think they might have been right.

Yeah I’d agree with that, overall it’s still good but there was a lot of stuff that could have been trimmed to fit into four seasons while losing very little. Same with Better Call Saul, it was enjoyable but took a few walks and probably could have told the same story in three or four seasons instead of six.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That's just a lot of American television shows: episode after episode after episode as if you have nothing you want to do for the next week but chain watch Always Sunny and Booklyn 99. Thats the one thing classic British TV shows really have over most US ones - 6 episodes per series. Maybe 3 seasons if you are lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I can see why the plane crash is very weird in hindsight, but in my marathon of Breaking Bad, there was no moment more shocking and desolate than the lead up to that plane crash.

And I kind of get it. When you get into making meth, you know the consequences is a drug that will ruin people. But there are very specific expectations to that. Walt wasn't expecting to be indirectly responsible for a plane crash.