Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

credburn posted:

The quality of Duckfeed is fueled greatly by the talent and attention to detail its hosts (namely Kole) ...

I also edit and produce :colbert:

And just to say my minor piece about it (not to get into a prolonged argument), though it may appear as if I'm arguing with no one, or a straw man, about Souls opinions, we get a lot of feedback that doesn't come through publicly, and we get a lot of feedback that is very _sensitive_. I act like me being down on Souls might hurt someone's feelings because people tell me that it does hurt their feelings and I'm not the sort of person who's really capable of saying, "gently caress'em. That's their problem."

That's probably a fault, but it's not something that's a priority for me to change right now. It's also one of those things where we get conflicting feedback. So, the people itt saying they had to stop listening to BSC aren't the first people to say so, but we also get people who are saying, "Hey, this game is rough and I'm really glad you guys are actually talking about it because no one else is." In our position, such feedback is really hard to act on because we get conflicting stuff. So, we just go with our gut and our gut says to just honestly say what we feel about the game and not try to hurt anyone's feelings, regardless of if they have the right to have their feelings hurt.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

It's real hard for me not to act on my gut with stuff like this. It doesn't bother me if people move away from the show for this reason. I totally get it. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to ditch the show (though I'm happy people who do listen to WOFF too), just trying to explain that while it seems like I'm talking to a vacuum about such things, there are actually responses and feedback that most people don't see. They're drops in the ocean, and definitely get more air time than they should by percentage, I admit.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

How many times do we have to go over this? It's just a variation on the same thing with people complaining about our being disclaim-y about Dark Souls 3. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. If we disclaim, we annoy you, if we don't, we hear from people whose feelings are hurt because we're bashing their favorite thing. If it comes down to mildly annoying you with, what I assure you, is mere minutes of digression that comes very naturally to us, or people thinking we think their taste is poo poo and feeling sore about it (regardless of if they have the "right" to feel that way), we'll choose the 3 minutes or so of disclaiming every time.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks! :)

See you in hell, Dark Souls 3.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Guw posted:

I love you Gary and Kole. Legitimately excited to hear Gary's hate for Nioh.

I don't hate it, sadly. I just think it's mediocre. I had a solid ten hours of fun and then all of a sudden I would rather do anything else than play it. There's like 5 enemies, you fight them the same way, the story is ridiculously poorly told, in a way that it requires that you already know it to enjoy it. I would play Nioh 2 with an open mind, but I don't think I'll beat the first one. I'm going to jump back in before the episode though, so maybe it'll grab me.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Guw posted:

Have to agree but the story is an airtight, multifaceted masterpiece.

Maybe it is, but I'd never know because of how it tells its story. It is consistently introducing characters with the assumption that they're a big deal, guys keep losing swords in caves, I never know why I'm in a level doing anything. The common thread in people I know who dig the story is that they are already deep in this stuff from history. If you're a novice, it does nothing for you.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm listening to Have No Mouth episode, and reached the part that explains your avatar's origin. Great episode.

Kole made that for me :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

JFC, SA podcast threads somehow continue to be the worst.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

"Don't make comparisons to anime"
"Don't be ambivalent to anime"
"Don't bring up anime"
"Go on the type of tangents I like, not the other kind"

are all terrible pieces of feedback. We're a small fish in a small pond, as far as podcasting, but something I'm not sure people get is that we hear conflicting feedback. Everything you tell us is lovely, someone else has told us they like. The tangents that bore some, delight others. When we describe things as "anime," there are people who know exactly what we mean by that and aren't up in arms to defend the honor of their medium. Making a project doesn't mean acting on all feedback, it means listening to all feedback and deciding what you want to act on. Anyone who has ever taken a creative writing class will tell you that probably 1/3 or so of the feedback you receive is not really valuable.

The reason why this issue specifically pisses me off is it's been heard. We heard it, we considered it, we rejected it and we explained why. We've talked about it many, many times over. And we were really open about it. So, it becomes nagging. People who won't just stop listening (which would honestly be fine. I don't listen to things I don't enjoy), and want to somehow sand away all the flaws they perceive through needling, repetitive feedback.

It probably seems like there are legions of people demanding we change our stances on anime, but there aren't. It's just annoying, so we talk about it, so it seems like a bigger problem than it is. The correct action would be to ignore it, but we're human and this board is a direct line to us, so that can be difficult. I'm trying to get better about ignoring it, but it's like someone kicking the back of your chair on a flight.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weekly font posted:

I dig the aesthetic and general goofiness it allows for in the plot but it doesn't play very well. Somewhere above Lords of the Fallen but under even the worst Soulsborne.

Watch out buddy. The Nioh Defense Squad is probably dispatching a crew to your house right now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I doubt we'll ever straight up revisit a game, but if we ever did, Bloodlines would be my vote. Maybe if we do a Duck Bundle 2, that'd be a good candidate. Alternatively, maybe as part of a month bundle with Redemption.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Chat about ff4 after years ending

it is kinda a cool meta moment to have the developer-god add a series-long cosmology, but it really doesn't say much about the series to know about an alien doing stuff to start the civilisations. The question is interesting but it was never asked, we got an answer first. Plus, there aren't crystals in FF 2 and 6 so that doesn't fit either. It isn't a goodbye to the era since it retreads so much and the creator just wants to blow everything up. The only thing I can see it representing is an unhappy artist who ran out of ideas and hates seeing his own work, and that's as much of a reach as most defences of the game.

Yup.

The best I can say is it's sort of interesting and unexpected, but I don't think it's successful or necessary or good really. It is not a good game.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Worth pointing out: https://www.everythingtoguppy.cat is now a thing.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dang, good catch.

I'm of mixed feelings on their hiding cool plot poo poo in gwent. If you're into gwent, that's gotta be awesome. But if you're opting out of gwent, you miss it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

My twitter account is at least half Rors too, in case you need a fix.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

All good ideas :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Better you than me, buddy. Someone is going to do that show, but I would rather lick the trough of a dyson airblade in a dead mall.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We'll likely do a DnD world, so either Planescape, Dark Sun, or Ravenloft.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

There's a european edition for the future! Featuring euro-roadkill!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Is there anywhere to buy a PDF of Atomic? I can only find a physical version and I don't really want to get it shipped to Australia

Not yet, but soon!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

It fuckin' owns that m'dudes accidentally recorded two episodes of Everything to Guppy about Pin.

We're idiots, but we're your idiots.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We just released our 2nd charity bundle. You can read about it on our store. Get episodes, support great causes!

http://duckfeed.tv/store

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In Monster in My Podcast #313, when Gary calls out internet lawyers trying to sound clever by claiming Die Hard is a Christmas movie and a hotdog is a sandwich, was he putting Judge John Hodgman on blast?

No, not specifically. There is a certain sort of clever-clever internet pedant that I am really annoyed by though.

I bring it up in the upcoming Sims 3 episode, but national treasure John Mulaney has a bit where he compares people to the kid who, at the sleepover, keeps saying "Don't you mean yesterday? It's technically tomorrow because it's after midnight."

I got no time for that poo poo.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

The Nier episodes are definitely convincing me I'm much more of a Kole than a Gary.

Sorry, Kole, burn unintentional.

Your whole brand is enjoying terrible games! Of course you like Nier.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If we can find a good avenue for it, absolutely. Otherwise, we might sub in Nyarlathofest for a year.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ooh, a suggestion for Nyarlathofest could be reviewing his Masks greatest hits. Father of All Bats Knows Best.

I think we're going to cover all of the masks.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wrestlepig posted:

After listening to the bonus WOFF it’s criminal that Atomic isn’t a real game

Thank you. It's sort of "designed" in my head and I'd love to make it. I just don't have space on my plate. Maybe I'll kickstart it in a couple years. It's much more of a "game" than Souls of Darkness was.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Kly posted:

the Atomic! podcast feels like a .mp3 accidentally sent from a non-hellworld timeline

For people who dig that, be sure to check out the Bonfireside Chat we did on Souls of Darkness too!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks folks. We're going to release a premium abject suffering or two on the main feed to let people know what they get. We definitely appreciate the support.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'd love to cross pollinate listeners more between BSC and WOFF. There are a lot of Bonfireside Chats that function as episodes of Watch Out For Fireballs!, pretty much. And a bunch of WOFFs that are similar to BSC treatments.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Running an old BSC on the WOFF feed as a bonus is actually a great idea. Thanks!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks to everyone for answering these questions. Don't hesitate to reach out on Patreon if you have additional questions, and thanks for the support!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Eh, for me so far, it feels like it's a lot more coherent and overall better than DS3. I think the tweaks we'll have mostly concern the early game difficulty ramp, which I really do think is a serious issue. After that, when it smooths out, it really sings. The biggest bugaboo for me right now is the story/narrative which is such a straight putt. It'll be a weird season of the show but I don't think it'll be like DS3.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

RottenK posted:

i want to hear their opinions about the monkey boss and its ranged attack

That whole fight, and the area after roofboss 2, were the two parts that felt exquisitely From to me so far.

That boss fight you mentioned is actually one of my favorites in the game, and later iteration on it is good too. I'm anticipating people telling me I hate this game for like a year, even though I actually love most of it and just think some bosses, and the early game, are too tough.

Update: I am now on the last boss and I think some of the bosses and the early game is too tough, and the last boss is a cataclysmic level act of violence that should never have been perpetrated by man.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 4, 2019

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Comparatively, we're not very easy on it. We recorded the first "real" episode today and there's a pretty lengthy part where we discuss the difficulty and the conversation around it.

The reason I don't dislike it holistically is it has a few areas I truly love, and i think the level portions are capital g Great. People are saying "It's basically a boss rush, just run to the bosses" and to me, it's just not what's interesting or good about it. The things that are cool I really love.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, that's definitely a perspective brought on by the weird divided nature of the game. If the bosses can't be tuned to be a little more generous, I'd love for them to be bypassable other than brute force too.

Anywho, the first real episode is out. We talk about all of this!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Fairly certain that's my bad, actually. Just adding to the apology shower. Everyone bask in our collective sorries!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Any plans for Outer Wilds? It just shot up to my favourite adventure game of all time, albeit an extremely unusual one, and it struck me it would be right in Gary and Koles wheelhouse.

No plans, but I am interested in playing it. Our year is basically booked, but if me and Kole both play it and don't think we'll do an episode on it any time soon, we might throw up a patreon quick talk about it or something. It's been a minute since we've done one of those. I can only speak for myself, but I've been busy with stuff for the show/real life/ PLANNING DUCKFEST WHICH YOU SHOULD ALL GO TO.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

My main takeaway from the FF5 woff is that a Let Us Cling Together episode isn't out of the realm of possibility. That would own and personally I'd prefer it over a FFT revisit. I actually listened to the old FFT woff not too long ago and it holds up pretty well imo.

I'd call it an inevitability instead of a possibility. I'm very thirsty for it, and I do think we're going to take a JRPG break and do strategy for a lil. Other than maybe Lost Kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

gonna need pics of all the hot hot dr skingood cosplay at duckfest.

If someone showed up as Doctor Skingood, I'd probably have to flee before making dickjoke one.