Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love WOFF, Bonfireside, Suffering, DOFC, and Radio Free Midworld. Don't do their music casts because they have bad music opinions. Starting an entire podcast about boring old white guy band REM is all the proof you need of that. But in general love the network.

I feel like this last season of BFSC broke them though. Gary and Cole are now both constantly defending almost everything they say and arguing with a straw man who's not there about stuff on every show. I'm sure that comes from all the dumb poo poo they got from idiot dark souls 3 fans for them not sucking that game off the entire season, but it's starting to get grating even as someone who likes their output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's a fairly early one, but I can't remember which.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yeah I kinda had to stop listening for the same reason. I feel like the breaking point was the Profaned Capitol episode where it felt like they were constantly reiterating their views on Yhorm being a disappointment in slightly different ways for like 40 minutes straight? It probably wasn't 40 minutes, but it did feel like that.

Gary in particular seems to have gotten way more defensive about stuff. His stuff about Nioh on social media in particular just seems like he played the beta, made up his mind that he doesn't like it, and that's that. Which like, fine, it's their show, but it's a little disheartening for someone who got into the show cause they seemed to have a real love and passion for this stuff. I'm wondering if maybe they should just so a few month long break from the game stuff in general to just kind of reset.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was worth the $10 for the baked potato jamboree down stairs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think I "get" this episode of BFC in the bundle. Like, I know Souls of Darkness is not real. But is there actually a reference to the book Gary wrote in FF2, in the form of a fake tiger LCD game?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did anyone read Gary's first book? I have zero connection to the Worlds of Power stuff he's riffing on, but with him doing a kickstarter for a second I'm wondering if I should check it out and maybe back it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's good but it's going to lose a little if you're unfamiliar with either the title he's paying homage to or the WoP novels.

I have a decent enough understanding of both Dark Souls and Fallout that I'd get that end. And from what I understand WoP were basically kids books written by people who were given like, a paragraph about the game and told to go nuts. Is the first one funny?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I guess I'll pick it up then. Hopefully I'll be able to get through it before the Kickstarter is over for the new one so I can back it if I like it.

E: oh hey, $5 audio book.

E2: While I've never read any Worlds of Power stuff, I did read a lot of Goosebumps when I was a kid, and I immediately recognized the style he's doing here. And it's really spot on.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 10, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought they were a little harsh on DS3 on the whole, but this new DLC is basically every single issue they had with the story telling and "more hard=better" design of that game wrapped into one package, even more so than the previous one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well guess I won't be listening to Bonfireside Chat again anytime soon, because the circular discussions they had anytime they didn't like something were driving me crazy

This time they're going to be totally right, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm almost caught up on Teenage Dirtbags. Ding dong, it's me... THE WEIRD MAN.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mordekai posted:

Every game they play apparently contain something "really gross!". Like very drat game :rolleyes:

Oh hey, it's one of the straw men they spend too much time arguing with, right here in the thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There is no bad Teenage Dirtbags episode. Start at the start for maximum in jokes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Song For The Deaf posted:

Teenage Dirtbags is one of my favorite things. Pick a song/video you like and know, listen to that to see if you dig their style, then go back. It's hard to be completions about it because a some number of the in-jokes are from The Pitch, and the 30+ years they've been doing the show on other platforms.

Teenager & The Dirtbag made me laugh so hard I nearly crashed my car.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bring back Bonfireside Cat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like Banjo-Kazooie, and get sick of the episodes about stuff like that because they always handle it with kid gloves. It's always the same "well I get that people like this, but I don't understand it," platitudes that are boring. Even as someone who likes those games, it would be much better if they just tore into them than this. At least that's funny, and I don't get upset because people don't like the same games as me. Then again, their twitter feeds are already kind of nightmares, so I can't imagine what that would lead to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, at this point when there's an episode like Rocket Powered Robot on Wheels I give it ten minutes to see if it's going to be a crazy tangent episode, and if not usually just skip it. Not a huge deal.

On the other hand I pay your salary through patreon rabble rabble rabble *farts in own mouth*

E: Also it's not so much the disclaiming, it's more the same reason you guys don't do edutainment kids games anymore. There's only so many ways a person can say "collecting a bunch of stuff is boring and sucks" before I get the idea.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 26, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That game makes so much more sense, now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is a good plan and I'm excited for it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

Thanks! :)

See you in hell, Dark Souls 3.

I thought you guys were going too hard on the game until the DLC came out and it was basically all the worst parts of the base game, condensed into two things I slogged through with basically no joy. Now I think maybe you were going too easy on it, in retrospect. I am probably never going to touch it again, and that makes me really sad. I can't loving wait for the new WOFF stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I love the Dark Souls series but I gave up on the DLC for DS3, I made it past the angel cover shooter nonsense, fought the Demon Prince boss a few times and went "this isn't even fun anymore" and haven't gone back. If they ever do an HD rerelease of Dark Souls or Demon Souls I'd be all over it though

I don't listen to WOFF but maybe I'll start. I only listen to BFSC and Radio Free Midworld

WOFF is top tier stuff. Find a couple games you like in the archive and give it a shot.

I beat the DS3 dlc, but also was having zero fun with it. I'm going back to the old games now and they are much better balanced.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guw posted:

I love you Gary and Kole. Legitimately excited to hear Gary's hate for Nioh.

I like Nioh a lot but am also ready for this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like that the historical version of the sword man from Kill Bill was in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Or just don't compare to stuff you don't know anything about and then try to avoid criticism with insecure waffling

I like anime. Some anime is good. I know exactly what they mean when they say something is "anime as gently caress." And so do you. So shut up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EC posted:

Didn't realize there was an arbiter for which digressions are good and which are bad. Please, tell me more.

Weirdly enough, this is The Arbiter from Halo's job.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gary could probably get behind it being time for the Jedi to end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm taking a break from BFSC until the victory lap season anyway cause I would like something more positive than what I know Nioh is going to be and don't give a Fuuuuuuck about Hollow Knight.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

I've actually managed to miss almost everything about Nioh, so I'm pretty excited to listen to it. I have such a weird image of what the game is right now.

It's Dark Souls in Japan with loot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nioh is good. Not great, but good. I also didn't finish it, though. Boring rear end too long water blob monster made me put it down.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Abject Suffering on Blitz: The League, please.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jred250 posted:

I bowed out of the Duckfeed podcasts for a while, but I started listening again and I forgot how well done they are. I remember truly loving Bonfireside Chat and wanting to explore more of their content so I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs. I had tried listening to The Level many years ago, and one of the people on it had a really grating voice that made it hard to listen to. Watch Out For Fireballs is really good though. The two hosts have really great chemistry and they play the games I have a deep affection for.

It bums me out though that they pretty much have to blitz through discussing the games. I just listened to the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines episode and I wanted them to slow it down. I preferred how Bonfireside chat could linger on the smaller details of a Dark Souls section.

It seems like the new format of WoFF is going to allow for longer discussions.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't go back to city or origins just because getting around the city is such a slow moving pain in them after Knight. And I don't mean the batmobile, just the new grapple poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Halogens posted:

Is it me, or has Jeremy Greer made himself scarce on Radio-Free Midworld (Autumn is great, don't get me wrong)? Seems like he kind of noped out after being around a lot in the early seasons. I miss having him on the show, although all the other guests are good, too. Speaking of which, I'm really glad for the sheer variety of nerds Kole can get rustle up to talk about Uncle Stevie's self-insert masterpiece.

Punching out after book 5 or so is the smart thing to do honestly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EC posted:

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it in here, yet, but the dates for the 2019 Duckstream have been announced!

https://twitter.com/DuckfeedTV/status/1071562824135122950

I've seen some of the plans for the West Coast boys and I'm v. excited. Also Gary, me, and the rest of the lads will be doing a live Days of Future Cast on another terrible Wolverine movie, so yay?

The Wolverine is good, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It took me a while to figure out Braden is a real person, and not a "Hey Vern!" character in Gary's imagination.

Did you think Teenage Dirtbags was just Gary doing a voice?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I have not yet listened to that show. There’s so much content! I still need to finish File Under Water.

Teenage Dirtbags is the secret best show on the network.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just listened to the Sekiro episode. I'm 100% with Gary on the boss runs thing. Just put a loving bonfire right outside the boss door forever, please.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like the parts that are good are from at their best, and the parts that aren't are them at their worst. Multiphase boss fights with lovely one hit kill attacks and poison swamps.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

That whole fight, and the area after roofboss 2, were the two parts that felt exquisitely From to me so far.

That boss fight you mentioned is actually one of my favorites in the game, and later iteration on it is good too. I'm anticipating people telling me I hate this game for like a year, even though I actually love most of it and just think some bosses, and the early game, are too tough.

Update: I am now on the last boss and I think some of the bosses and the early game is too tough, and the last boss is a cataclysmic level act of violence that should never have been perpetrated by man.

I feel like I'm going to listen to this season and think you're going too easy on the game, from this post. I just stopped playing after 8 hours because the frustration wasn't balancing out the fun, which I've never done with a From game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

Comparatively, we're not very easy on it. We recorded the first "real" episode today and there's a pretty lengthy part where we discuss the difficulty and the conversation around it.

The reason I don't dislike it holistically is it has a few areas I truly love, and i think the level portions are capital g Great. People are saying "It's basically a boss rush, just run to the bosses" and to me, it's just not what's interesting or good about it. The things that are cool I really love.

I'd love it to be the exact opposite of that. Remove all bosses and let me figure out these cool stealth sections.