Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kole your spooky Halloween reading for this year was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Cool first WOFF on Baldur's Gate II. I played the intro and some of Chapter 2 a few years back but not far enough to go to Spellhold, and the game's been in the back of my mind for "hey I should really re-visit that someday" ever since. I own the GOG release but maybe I'll make the EE the one Steam Xmas Sale game that I buy this year.

Also you talked about Irenicus' VA but Minsc's is worth mentioning as it's Jim Cummings, who's been in a whole grip of stuff. Disney stuff in particular, last I checked he was the current voice of both Pete and Tigger and probably some other characters I can't think of.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finished up the Baldur's Gate 2 series and it was good, but that game sounds really intimidating by the end. I feel like I would instinctively wring everything I could out of Chapter 2 before doing the railroady bits just so they'd be easier (and it's cool that the game lets you do that). Also I'm not a big fan of getting locked out of areas which it sounds like happens with Spellhold and the Underdark, even though it makes sense that you can't go back to those places from a narrative standpoint.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also do a WOFF for Hollow Knight you cowards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hollow Knight is loving great and everyone should play it.

EC posted:

EP 120 and 121 of BSC were on Hollow Knight. Still available on the old BSC feed.

Not a WOFF, request still stands :colbert:

(I'm listening to it now and it's very good. I hope you guys went back and got the true ending after recording this)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Re: the most recent WOFF Dispatch- I'm right there with Gary on games being a solitary experience, even though I did grow up with N64 (and later GameCube) multiplayer. It's more that I never owned a console with a robust online experience until I guess the 3DS, and I only recently got into PC gaming to the point where I'd be playing games with large online components. I never got on the ground floor with competitive online multiplayer and feel like it's passed me by, though I have had fun doing co-op multiplayer in stuff like Monster Hunter even with randos. Another big part of it is that I have few friends who play video games anymore, at least that I'm aware of. And I just like having solo experiences that I can do at my own pace, rather than having to schedule gaming time with others :shrug:

Also, I don't know if anyone else has suggested this to you guys, but if you want to do a roguelike for WOFF you should definitely do FTL. A lot of the interesting things in that game are mechanical so you can talk a lot of how the game works without needing to see specific content in a given run. Even then, a winning run of that game is no more than an hour so you could get in a few ahead of the show. I actually had to go back through the WOFF feed to make sure you hadn't already done it...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
RE: the latest WOFF Dispatch- the Contrapoints on incels you mentioned is worth watching, if only because it uses the criminally underrated Hebrides Overture as one of its tracks-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2briZ6fB0

Also this is not gamer-specific, but I think about this image every now and then and your talk on toxic gaming culture reminded me of. Note the year that this was drawn!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Nuclear take: Tetris-B is a better music track than Tetris-A.

E: That was a cool Tetris episode though.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 30, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Beartaco posted:

Is sex with socks on really a faux pas?

Virgin spotted :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just started your Final Fantasy V WOFF, and hard agree on the game being way too stingy with AP and too harsh with AP requirements. I think I stalled out in some castle in the mid-game where you could go in the basement and fight groups of monsters that were both weak to L5 Death and gave a bunch of AP, but I guess I just lost interest in grinding.

More generally, I like these types of jRPGs where you can level characters in these different jobs, but I'm constantly gripped with job OCD so I end up leveling everyone a few times in a bunch of different jobs just so I can play skill dress-up, when what I should be doing is power-leveling each character in one or two so that they're actually strong. I had the same issue in Bravely Default where your level in each class influences your base stats, but the system rewards you for being really high-level in one class vs having a few levels in a bunch of classes. So if you switch from your high-level class to get some new skills, you're suddenly going to feel way underleveled. I want one of these games where you're rewarded for dabbling like you said Kole, but I don't know that any of them do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh man, this FE Sacred Stones WOFF. I haven't agreed with a WOFF assessment this much in a long time, or at least you guys articulated a lot of problems that I've had with the pre-Awakening entries in the series. I don't know if I was just bored at work but I straight-up took notes during this episode.

--For as arduous as a playthrough of this game (or any FE) can be, you're definitely meant to play through it multiple times. I think the purpose of the randomized stat growths is to give you incentive to use different characters on each playthrough, since it makes the most sense to roll with whoever had the best level-ups. But I agree that the highs of having great level-ups don't outweigh the lows of bad level-ups (and it seems like the series faithful consider any level-up with two or fewer stat bumps to be "bad"). If a unit winds up being left behind by some bad level-ups, you're not only out the experience that they gathered but also out any support boosts they've given another character; a given character can only have up to five support conversations in a playthrough (so one partner up to A and another to B, two at B and one at C, etc.) so you can potentially gimp other units too (and Supports do take way too drat long to level up! Why can't the turn counter go up if they're just near each other, rather than on adjacent tiles?)

--Speaking of level-ups, character growths are different for each character rather than each class like in FFT. In addition, each class has max stat caps that differ from other classes (and you get large class-dependent stat bumps when you advance into a prestige class). In prior games characters would have stat growths that were in-line with what their class track would be (so characters in tank classes like Knights would have high DEF growths but low SPD, etc.), but since here you can choose your prestige class in a lot of cases, you can kind of route characters into classes that will most benefit from their stat growths. For example, the knight trainee Amelie can eventually prestige into a General, which traditionally has high STR and DEF but low SPD. But Amelie inherently has a high SPD growth, so if you level her up enough you can have a General that always attacks twice and takes next to no damage :eng101:

--I definitely get the hatred for the perfectionist tendencies that these game can foster. When I played FE 7, 8 (this game), and 9 I was definitely that guy that reset not only when I lost a unit or failed to recruit someone, but when I missed an optional objective or bonus item, even if it was an item I could get in a later mission. Even when I tried to play Awakening a couple years ago with permadeath turned off, I had FE PTSD and my mind immediately went to "welp, time to reset" every time I hosed up in the few chapters of Awakening that I did play. It's a case of not just choosing to play a game in a manner different from what the devs intended, but being conditioned to do so. The "it's like a 75-move puzzle where you won't know that you've lost until move 50" comment was particularly memorable.

--Yeah offensive staves (the ones that do status effects) blow and it really sucks that the enemies get to use them and you almost never do. In general I think the enemies in these early FE games always get better toys than you do until the endgame.

I have no idea why I wrote so many words about a game that I'm lukewarm on. I've completed three games in this series and played parts of two others but have never quite been able to get into the series. I wish I could though, it does feel good when things go your way, I like the (platonic) camaraderie that is the hallmark of the series, and I'm even anime-tolerant as long as it's not horny. And for what it's worth, I think Sacred Stones is my favorite FE of what I've played because it's probably the easiest in the series and you can grind enough to make the game especially easy. If anything, this episode might get me to try Awakening again, even if it's just on ultra-baby Normal Casual mode.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yay Duckfeed Halloween spooky reading :spooky:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the disclaimer in the latest WOFF about Simpsons Road Rage vs Hit and Run, because I definitely downloaded this episode thinking it was about Road Rage :lol:

E: Also I looked up that Eggs for Bart game and what the gently caress

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 18, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Listened to the first half of Tyranny Part 1 and was coming here to post that you guys convinced me to try it out and that it'd be my yearly Winter Steam Sale game...but then I saw that I already own it :v: So thanks for convincing me to install it, I've been looking for a shorter game to ease me into cRPGs and I also think it would be a good experience as I 1. almost always play a good guy in games, and 2. am a filthy centrist, insofar as I usually try to please as many people as I can while causing the least amount of tension, two things that you called out as not really being a priority for this game.

Also Gary after hearing where you are originally from in the most recent WOFF Dispatch, and having lived there for almost two years, I feel like I understand you a little better.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 10, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

poo poo, that's wild. It's such a small town that whenever I hear someone lives there or is from there, it throws me a bit. My understanding is that the music scene is now like 95% powerviolence metal bands, which sort of bums me out.

This was five years ago or so while my now-wife was finishing grad school, I wouldn't have been there for any other reason lol. I was never plugged into the music scene there either so I can't say anything about it. I mostly just remember a lot of good lovely college town food.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Listening to the latest WOFF Dispatch and Gary made a comment to the effect of a game having no actual happy ending, just the happiest possible within the context of the game. Hollow Knight is a great example of this. The "bad" ending has the player character accomplishing what they set out to do at the start of the game, but along the way you've come to understand that this solution may not be as permanent as initially advertised (but no one ever says outright that it's a failed solution). Meanwhile the "good" ending comes at a much greater personal cost to the player character and there's a small chance that it actually dooms the world, but it is a permanent fix to the issue and breaks the cycle that brought you into the story in the first place.

Also you should definitely go back and play Hollow Knight again :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Went and looked up Dusk on Steam after the intro to the most recent WOFF and boy does it have an aesthetic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't know a lot about Atari going into the most recent WOFF episode, so that was a hell of a primer.

Also I can't believe you guys haven't done Ocarina of Time yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

It's one of my least favorite zelda games but we felt like we had to do it to open up the possibility of doing other zelda games, since the series basically just kept doing that game over and over for a decade or so. It's a good game, but I don't think it's a great game.

For sure, it's not my favorite Zelda by any means either. It just seems like one that you would have already covered on the grounds of "this is an Important Work and merits discussion based on its place in gaming canon, if nothing else".

Also the next Zelda game(s) you cover should be a Link to the Past + Link Between Worlds double feature.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Liking this X-COM WOFF so far and thinking about how I can't get into strategy games. You brought up an interesting point about hitting a fail state and taking the knowledge of that run back with you on the next run. I guess for whatever reason I just can't stomach fail states in strategy games, where I'm OK with them in other genres like a failed roguelike run or if you fail a boss rush in an action game, even though those games also have a theme of "OK I died, what can I do better next time?". I'm not sure if genre is the deciding factor, or time, or how you fail. I just hadn't thought about it like that before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
RE MiMP: Pharaohe Monch still the best black pharaoh :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you boys for sending out some free premium eps to cope with our global lockdown.

I'm a year+ late to the party but I played way more of Dilbert's Desktop Games than I care to admit, as it came with my family's Windows 98 PC which was our first real gaming-capable PC. Hell when I got my first laptop as a high school graduation present in the mid 00s I installed it on that too! Feels like I dodged a bullet there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kole you say that you don't want Link to gently caress...but in the same breath you want him to explore different caverns. Typical WOFF hypocrisy smh :cmon:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Luigi's Mansion is great, gently caress the haters. Kind of sad that I sold my GameCube copy but glad to hear that you both thought the 3DS version was playable enough on a single stick, it's been on my 3DS wishlist for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm listening to the Bioshock Infinite WOFF from the quarantine pack, and I know I'm way past the response deadline but it's funny that you picked their cover of Tainted Love as transition music because if you didn't already know, the version of Tainted Love from the 80s is itself a cover :eng101: The original was written in 1964 and first performed by Gloria Jones and it slaps-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKe2j9Wjh4

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Order of Ecclesia is one of those games that should like but just never fully clicked for me :shrug: It's been a perennial member of my "I should give this game another shot" list and I think if/when I do I will take into consideration your points about the game wanting you to play it a little differently than other Castlevanias.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My Patreon money for Lowtax is getting re-routed to you guys when I'm back home and don't have to gently caress around with doing it on my phone, so look forward to that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gary and Kole replay Hollow Knight you cowards. I've also been considering a new playthrough now that they've put out a bunch of extra content but I also want to give the ultra mega final boss rush a couple more shots before I abandon it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Funny that you guys mentioned Dexter on the latest MiMP, my wife just started watching it and Doakes (the "there's something fishy about this Dexter guy" cop) is a real piece of work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gary/Kole if you want a period piece zombie story (based on your RE0 discussion) check out Kingdom on Netflix, it's very good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw man my DA2 response didn't make it on-air :( I sent it midday of the 15th, when you guys say "send your responses by the 15th of the month" is the 14th the actual last day you'll be looking for them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ooooohhhh Riven WOFF in April is gonna be lit. One of the rare WOFFs where I feel compelled to write in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
DOS 1 has been sitting in my "play this sooner rather than later" pile for a while, gotta get on that so I have an excuse to pick up DOS 2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love Gary's approach to interviews from this month's Dispatch of "we are both lying to each other about this thing, and that's fine" lol

Also I have a copy of Infinite Jest on my bookshelf that I haven't read, but I got it for free from a friend (who also probably never read it) so that only half-counts against me I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got just far enough in The Witness that I wouldn't want to start over, but it's been long enough since I've played it that I would have to re-learn a bunch of it again. It's a tough spot to be in but I did enjoy it in the moment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know neither of you post here anymore but happy 10-year anniversary you goofs, from someone who's been around since the beginning (or very close to it) :toot: I still haven't forgotten your bad-mouthing of Metroid Prime all those years ago!

Regarding Sonic 2, I'm with you on the gameplay never quite feeling right because you spend so much time switching between those three modes of going fast, dodging traps, and doing slower more precise platforming (and two of those three not being any fun). And then when the series moved to 3D they leaned harder into the weaker aspects of that 2D gameplay, either because it was cheaper to do or because they genuinely thought those modes were fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Downloaded the preview for the Darkest Dungeon ep, and this was on my YouTube feed at the same time https://youtu.be/JfqhXVN5jaU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm partway through the episode and thinking the same thing. I played it several years ago in early access, so it sounds like they made it a bit friendlier.

It seemed really intimidating when I first learned about the game so I never actually played it, but hearing that it's a little less harsh now has me interested. Also this extended musical outro on the preview ep rips.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Didn't Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance also have a kicking subtheme, or have I been getting that game and Dark Messiah mixed up for all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't read Penny Arcade in over a decade, but their comic about the first(?) Layton game has always been in stuck in my head, so thanks for reminding me of that.