Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Picked up Hypnospace Outlaw after their recommendation. Looking forward to web browsing in the early 2000s or something? It did sound fun.

It's a great game, full of awesome discoveries and great music! You're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

C-Euro posted:

Love Gary's approach to interviews from this month's Dispatch of "we are both lying to each other about this thing, and that's fine" lol

Also I have a copy of Infinite Jest on my bookshelf that I haven't read, but I got it for free from a friend (who also probably never read it) so that only half-counts against me I think.

I'd had a copy for awhile and had read most of DFW's other fiction and non fiction, then I read Infinite Jest a little before Covid hit. Great book, worth the hype, etc.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Beartaco posted:

Should elements of games that exclude certain people with disabilities simply not exist, even if they're entirely optional?

Is the developer explicitly "saying 'gently caress you'" to differently abled people by not removing these elements entirely?

I dunno, I mean football is a game, right? Should the elements of the game that exclude certain people with disabilities simply not exist?

Or maybe it's different because it's a video game and doesn't have to exclude anyone, but you'd think given the relative cultural importance of The Witness vs the importance of the NFL, that question has more weight if we're serious about equity.

The game of football doesn't have to exclude anyone either, it's just following traditions that do exclude people with disabilities, the same way careless video game designs do.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm in no way trying to defend Blow who by all accounts sucks, but it just seems to me that it's overstating the case to say that there should never be any game that has a color or sound puzzle for the rest of time, which seems to be the inevitable conclusion of claiming a designer is saying "gently caress you" to those people who are excluded.

People might like to play color or sound puzzles, and game developers might like to create them, so why should they not get them just because certain others can't enjoy them?

I would think a better option would be a configuration setting that could please both groups, rather than just abandoning entire conceptual design spaces. Obviously such an option is not in The Witness, but that's hardly unique to this one game and this one developer.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EC posted:

"I personally have never experienced a disability and thus, it seems to me; I should never have to have my beautiful video games sullied by things that remind me they exist"

Is that quote supposed to be a summary of what I posted? I don't think that's accurate, but if I am thinking about this the wrong way, I would like to be corrected.

I think accessibility is very important, especially in technology, but a deaf person watching a video with subtitles that say "music plays" isn't getting the same experience as someone who can hear the actual music, right?

Like, how do you accommodate that? You guys seem to be saying "just don't use sound in your video game, you moron" which doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing here?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Witness is great, just a marvellous videogame with a brilliant concept, the puzzles were fun and importantly I really enjoyed just exploring the Island, its design and the vibrancy of it's world was one of my favourite parts. For whatever reason the game didn't provoke me into posting on an internet forum about how much of a wanker Jonathan Blow is but that seems to be a common side-effect. You'd think the man was a convicted criminal the way people rag on him.

I haven't played it but from the episode, it sounded like there's hour long essays by people that the designer liked scattered throughout the game? That seemed weird to me, but as a fan, you probably have a more nuanced opinion of why they're cool and not weirdly out of place and pedantic, which I'd like to hear.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I mostly listen on Spotify. If I become a patron, do I need to use some other app to listen to the premium episodes?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just use Spotify for music so it seemed easy to use it for the few podcasts I listen to. I've been wanting to become a woff patron for awhile, but wasn't sure how it would work.

If I download a podcast app, does the app itself have some place for me to put credentials to access the premium Duckfeed content? Or I would download them from some repository I get access to through the Duckfeed Patreon page and then just play them in the app like any other downloaded audio?

I like that Spotify updates with the latest episodes of WOFF so I never have to go searching for them, but I'm open to trying whatever I guess, assuming I can hear the premium episodes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Samopsa posted:

you get a link from patreon, pop it into your player, and you'll see it in your feed just like on spotify.

Oh cool, that sounds painless!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember an ad they ran here on the forums I clicked on, they had 6 or 7 episodes, one of which was Shadowrun, one of my favorites.

When did they finally stop with the skits? I don't think they added much and I don't miss them, but they were sometimes earnestly goofy.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Berzerker posted:

Darkest Dungeon episode was great, and convinced me to revisit the game for the first time in two years (I've never finished it).

I'm partway through the episode and thinking the same thing. I played it several years ago in early access, so it sounds like they made it a bit friendlier.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like they went pretty easy on RE8, where they'd make a criticism but then just move past it because they're so fond of the series, whereas if something similar was in another, less beloved franchise, they would have dwelled on it longer.

Like in what universe is it a WOFF positive that the game evoked elements shallowly without actually putting the gameplay design work in? But that seemed to be Gary's thesis and it wasn't damning.

I've never been a big RE fan so maybe I just don't get it, but most of the stuff they were describing sounded ridiculous--and maybe they felt it was all intentional instead of lazy or incoherent based on the history of the series, but to an outsider, it sounded like they were forgiving cliche stuff like the names of the mercenaries and Chris's tone as intentional humor instead of rather poorly conceived and implemented.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I was in the mood to listen to them talk about Final Fantasy 6 and these episodes came out 10 years ago and I cant keep listening because i am old and turned to dust

What do you mean? I've been listening to the 3 Moves Ahead podcast from episode 1 forward and it's much less funny than a WOFF. Not sure what the FF6 episode being a decade old has to do with it, it's not like the game changed. I would think the content is pretty evergreen unless you're poisoned into only consuming the freshest produced content or something.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
::sheepishly walks away, hat in hand::

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why did I get like a dozen emails from Patreon today?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"The Death of the Author" is a 1967 essay by the French literary critic and theorist Roland Barthes. Barthes's essay argues against traditional literary criticism's practice of relying on the intentions and biography of an author to definitively explain the "ultimate meaning" of a text.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember the commentary on Who Shot Mr Burns part 1 not being allowed to mention the culprit and it felt silly as c’mon I bought the DVDs and am listening to the commentary I probably know who did it.

LOL, that's incredible! They weren't playing along with a bit?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I know they'd both love the setting and story telling of Caves of Qud but it seems unlikely their format would really work for it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just listened to the Mario 3 episode and was surprised they couldn't figure out how everyone knew about crouching on white blocks and getting the warp whistle, given they even talked about the Wizard movie in the episode AND that's where they got the name for WOFF from.

The movie shows the main character getting behind the scenery in the early stage to get the first warp whistle, which is how every American kid knew to do it. I don't remember how they justify the kid in the movie knowing how, though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been listening to episodes and they keep referring to a game that shall not be named, which is kinda infuriating if you're like me and not caught up in discourse.

What game is it and why are they treating it that way? I like their politics so I'm sure I'll probably come to a similar conclusion but I'd like to understand the context too.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I forget what episode but I kinda liked how he described games without violence in them as cute happy frog games or something equally dismissive.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone ever pitch them on brining back Monster in my Podcast, but with Jorge Luis Borges Book of Imaginary Beings? That would be a loving trip

This is tangential as heck but we ran into some Perytons in our OSE game recently and I'd always assumed they were some ancient mythical creature, but they were a Borges original from that book. I first heard about them in a 2nd edition Monstrous Manual but they clearly grabbed them from Borges because they have the cast a human shadow thing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What is Spotify doing to the podcast industry? I listen to like 2 or 3 podcasts, so I'm unaware of larger trends I guess

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for the answer! It's interesting to have been alive from the advent of podcasts to see their trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm extremely excited for this new BG3 show