Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Song For The Deaf posted:

We plan to cover the expansions sometime in 2018. Witcher 3 is absurdly good and fun, and it’s been hard to sit on this news for months.

I figured it was Witcher 3, but then one of you made a comment about the dark brotherhood, and then Everytime I hear you tease your fantastic 300 hour rpg I got greatly confused about how you could have such admitration for Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Retro hour has been doing a games club podcast for a bit now. It's really good. And they focus on some of the weirder european stuff that passed by most of america like the zx spectrum. Not quite as in depth though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crash Bandicoot 2 is one of the greatest games ever made

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What the hell was that pronunciation of moon?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baron von der Loon posted:

Had The Witness in my library for awhile now and been thinking of giving it a try. How spoiler-heavy is the episode?

Skip the EP until you've played it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

Y'all are making me reluctant to listen to the episode. I hold HZD in pretty high esteem and mostly only listen to WOFF episodes to hear them praise things they like, so if it's 3.5 hrs with a substantial amount of gripes maybe it is not for me.

I don't really get this opinion. Why would you only want to hear positive opinions of the works you love, instead of the contrary view to deepen your own appreciation of the work.

I sure as poo poo don't agree with Gary or Coles opinions on games very much at all, but that makes me consider their outsider criticism that much higher.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The best episodes are when Gary and Kole are at odds. The ones with nothing but praise can be great or dull. But the ones where both hate it can feel like they trip over themselves to get in digs at it so much that the actual criticism is lost.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've completely forgotten about every podcast that's gone Spotify, It's just a terrible service for podcasts

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man that Paradise Killer episode was brutal. I never played it so I cannot weigh in, but that Kole Gary hostility was just perfect. I love when they disagree on a game, really adds that extra zest to the mix.

It did really make me wish they would somehow deign to play Umineko. It deals with every problem Gary had with the game while simultaneously being a game that I know he'd loving hate. And I've got the feeling Kole would end up an absolute diehard fan.

Anyways Congrats on Ten Years of still making a listenable pod, that's no small feat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you guys do a co op farm or fly solo?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nuka World is the other big dlc but it's pretty memey. I'm interested in hearing how far harbor is. I've heard it's got really good writing for a Bethesda joint, but I ain't never made it to the dlc in my runs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I'm no English major, I haven't actually read any of the essays, but my understanding is that Death of the Author is about using what we know about the authors lived experience in order to interpret their work. The Beginner's Guide looks at doing the exact opposite. It's about looking at the authors work in order to interpret their lived experience.

Death of the author is almost exactly the opposite of that. It argues that the Authors full intentions can never be known, so trying to divine their intentions from their lives is a fools errand, instead one should choose to take the text as impressionistic and allow for multiple layers of meaning unique to the viewer of the work. Don't feel bad, most people invoking death of the author also don't know what it is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That title really sucks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MGS5 doesn't exist. I assume they mean MGSV

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was cinematic, you just don't understand art

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thief 3 being the only one they've covered is wild

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrBa is good in the same sense The Shield is, it's got a ton of really cool holy poo poo moments and crazy poo poo popping off paired with some interesting and memorable characters.

Better Call Saul is great in the Soprano's, Wire, Mad Men sense of being one of the few shows to use the slow burn nature of TV as a medium to allow you to fully inhabit and understand the psyche's and actions of people and groups in the show. It's also got the best Cinematography on TV by far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is the most intense mad cause bad I've heard in a minute, regarding Jak II

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I played thief I went and searched for the episode because I remembered listening to it before. Fully Mandela'd myself

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone ever pitch them on brining back Monster in my Podcast, but with Jorge Luis Borges Book of Imaginary Beings? That would be a loving trip

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is tangential as heck but we ran into some Perytons in our OSE game recently and I'd always assumed they were some ancient mythical creature, but they were a Borges original from that book. I first heard about them in a 2nd edition Monstrous Manual but they clearly grabbed them from Borges because they have the cast a human shadow thing.

Borges references run deep and always in the most unexpected places. The final Zeon space fortress in Mobile Suit Gundam is named Á Bao A Qu after the creature that dwells in the tower of victory in the first section of Borge's collection.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The business with podcasts for Spotify never made sense. They make money streaming 3min songs by the hundreds, how are they expecting to make cash from hours long podcasts. Their app is also very poor for actually listening to them; aside from some podcasts that talk about music that get the benefit of being able to insert the full songs into the show, there really isn't any compelling reason to use Spotify for podcasts either as a listener or as an artist.

Really just Spotify feeling the heat of competition from Apple and Google and searching for growth in all the wrong places.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Simmon's is a real one for that. Dude's been grinding for decades and then these royal failures come and think they can just get millions to pod. gently caress Spotify for that and thank Simmons for calling them out.

Really the whole Spotify podcast empire can go to hell as long as they keep The Rewatchables and Big Picture.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just an exhausting game to talk about I think. There's so much so ill considered that talking about the intentions feels like a waste of breath.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Micheal is not in witness protection. I have no idea how people started believing that he is

Lamarr sucks is maybe the worst opinion I've heard from a man whose bad opinion totals are truly astronomical

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Woffle posted:

lol, go to hell bud. My opinions are all in one place and super easy to avoid, bored anime lady avatar person.

Anywho, yeah, it's not quite witness protection. It's a deal. I'll cop to that.

Visual novel

Very sad after listening to the Mass Effect pod that Gary will likely never get to the end of three. after how he reacted to Shepard being the world's most special soldier I'd pay money to see him go off on the "Tell me another story of the Shepard horseshit at the end.