Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The quality of Duckfeed is fueled greatly by the talent and attention to detail its hosts (namely Kole) pay to the editing and presentation of each episode of every show, but I think these guys also really got drat lucky with who they happened to meet and pair up with. Kole and Gary on the many shows they host together have a bizarrely compatible synergy that makes each episode flow better than most programs I see anywhere else. I'm sure there is some editing involved, too, but it's so great. They inspired me to get off my rear end and start my own podcast. In the last two years, I have listened to probably 3/4th of their entire catalog by now and I'm always amazed at how well it's all put together. Even the most green and experimental stuff (listen to the first handful of episodes of some of their older shows) sounds so much more organized and paced better than what we would otherwise consider professionally made popular media. It's not surprising Kole has experience in radio, I guess.

I had the chance to meet these guys at the Portland Retro Games convention last year. It's weird talking to people who have been talking in my ear several hours a day every day for more than a year.

Since we're on this subject; I've listened to most of their Abject Suffering, Monster in my Podcast, Watch Out for Fireballs, and Bonfireside Chat...is Teenage Dirtbags or The Level any good? I picked a random episode of The Level and didn't care for it at all -- it felt entirely disorganized and random and lacked the structure I feel with the other shows, but it may have been an off episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Listening to the Abject Suffering episode about Ganja Farmer affected me weirdly. Gary talks about his indifference to weed and he mentions this kind of aside about grownups being high around him as a kid. My parents were drug dealers, and when I grew up I had a really strong (at times debilitating) fear and repulsion to weed even if intellectually I understood it wasn't a big deal. It came from just being a kid and not understanding what it meant when someone was "drunk" or "high." As a naive, dumb kid all I really understood was that sometimes Mom acts really loving weird and I want to be anywhere else but here. It's one of those things I've dealt with my entire life and it's hard to talk to because very few people can relate. Many of my friends had parents who were drug addicts or dealers themselves, and most of them just became addicts and dealers. Very few of us grew up the opposite way.

Well, anyway. It's kind of strange to point to a half hour long podcast about a bad video game as being so significant, but it helped me get through an otherwise long, lonely day.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I didn't realize I was reading a retconned copy of The Gunslinger. Gan drat it, I hate that.