Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I completely missed you guys doing a Yakuza cast a few years ago!

Sidenote: i had no idea what wizardy you guys do with duckfeed that lets me view the site at work but its very much appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Edit:nm that was lovely of me

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 20, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Musharraf posted:

performative wokeness.

This is my favorite phrase of 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Peace Gary, I unsubbed from the Patreon since you guys honestly do too much for me to keep up with but I'll always resub when you do a patreon extended episode that I'm particularly fond of

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Down With People posted:

Hey can someone help me out? I'm going crazy trying to find the Abject Suffering where Gary's character is someone who only wants to watch cartoons about a baby crawling across a girder, can anyone remember which episode that is?

I could have absolutely sworn the guys did an episode on Baby's Day Out, the game of the movie but I can't find it anywhere so maybe I'm mistaken

I also thought they did an episode on a Rugrats game but it turns out there are 2 Abject Sufferings on Rugrats games so I dunno man this sounds so familiar

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Shout out to Woff for getting me to try both Return of the Obra Dinn and Enger the Gungeon over the Christmas break: 2 great but totally different games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I gave Hitman 2 a try after listening to them rave about it. It's pretty good.

It was giant bomb that sold me on that one but still loved Gary and Koles coverage - probably the most unintentionally hilarious game I've ever played

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I don't think you're giving IOI enough credit by calling the hilarity unintentional.

e: Obra Dinn was on sale and I played through it not realizing it would be on WOFF. Very excited to hear the reaction to it, and curious to see how it's discussed because it's so non-linear.

Oh god dont get me wrong, the developers are in on the joke in a marvellous way, the unintentional humour is a result of my bumbling!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Haha yeah the Vinny run on the Christmas special in 2016 was the hardest i ever laughed at their videos!

Anyway I'm about 15 hours into Disco Elysium and can't wait to wrap it up for the podcast. Don't normally care about spoilers but they stressed to beat the game first and its been a great time so far. Rare a game makes you feel smart and dumb in the same breath.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Spermando posted:

I have a ton of free time in my hands so I've just caught up with WOFF. Any similar podcasts I could listen to?

theres a UK based one called Cane and Rinse thats broadly the same kinda format. Hardcore Gaming 101 is also worth a shout, same kinda games club style. Retrovaniacs is also decent

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Very excited to finally play Prey in anticipation of the woff episode

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Witness is great, just a marvellous videogame with a brilliant concept, the puzzles were fun and importantly I really enjoyed just exploring the Island, its design and the vibrancy of it's world was one of my favourite parts. For whatever reason the game didn't provoke me into posting on an internet forum about how much of a wanker Jonathan Blow is but that seems to be a common side-effect. You'd think the man was a convicted criminal the way people rag on him.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I haven't played it but from the episode, it sounded like there's hour long essays by people that the designer liked scattered throughout the game? That seemed weird to me, but as a fan, you probably have a more nuanced opinion of why they're cool and not weirdly out of place and pedantic, which I'd like to hear.

Oh they are definitely a bit weird and overly-long/rambling, pretentious and high-brow would also be fair criticisms but I didn't see it as a reason to attack Jonathan Blow's character, don't get me wrong Braid had that same "oh you think you are so smart" vibe about it but it was still an excellent game. There were certainly parts of the Witness - even the puzzles themselves which I openly didn't feel smart enough to really comprehend but I still think that mechanic of increasingly complex puzzle panels is wonderful and I wish there was like a real life The Witness island.

edit: is part of his dislike for him sort of corny sounding statments like this : "Blow often speaks of the potential for games to be more. He has said that he tries to make games that are more adult for people with longer attention spans[25] and noted that games could have a "much bigger role" in culture in the future, but current game development does not address this potential, instead aiming for low-risk, high-profit titles"

I can see why that kind of attitude rubs people the wrong way but ultimately yeah I want more Braids and The Witness games rather than Assassins Creed or Lego Marvel

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 26, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon is one of those games that probably gets worse the deeper you dive into it, listening to the guys episode a lot of the more in depth story stuff really just washed right past me, I suppose my main focus throughout was the games combat. The enemy variety and even the design of robotic dinosaurs was the biggest draw and even if fighting human enemies and open-world padding weren't the greatest I was still compelled to get the platinum in a brisk 38 hours.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can see someone not having fun listening to an episode that's largely negative on a game they love. I never finished the Abes odyssey episode because they were really down on it but i can see that being frustrating for anyone especially playing with time in mind. I chipped away at it over weeks one summer holiday as a kid so there was really a time and place thing

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The future WOFF's really hit it out the park for me personally, between Left 4 Dead, Stardew Valley and Starcraft 2 you couldn't find 3 more different games I sunk hours into, really looking forward to these episodes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

How much do I have to donate for you guys to set up a shard and do a WOFF on Everquest?

I've been saying this for years about Thief (1998)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gary's a nice dude I'm sure it was in the pursuit of humour

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Beartaco posted:

I think you're right that it's a good approach to take when you have to make a podcast about the game. I think the argument falls apart when they're telling this to me the listener, someone who could be playing Elden Ring instead.

Fallout 4 is seven years old bro, drop that poo poo like a stone and get on the Elden Train

For the record I loved 3 and New Vegas but 4 just didn't really add to the formula enough for my

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Beartaco posted:

I'm perpetually half a decade behind on videogames at all times. I buy them at like $2 a pop and I don't have to be a part of the zeitgeist, it's a delight! I'm currently playing through Mafia 3 and my response to everyone and their grandmother playing Elden Ring has been to check out Sekiro (only to remember I don't actually enjoy souls likes and uninstall it).

I'm normally the first person in the line saying don't fall for hype and don't treat videogames as more than the are but also mafia 3 and Fallout 4 are not great and Elden Ring might legitimately be the best game ever made so.....

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Runaway Legs posted:

Does anyone know when the Elden Ring season of BSC starts?

Don't quote me but I think they said they'd be putting out something on the 6th

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Somehow missed the lads doing a Stanley parable episode nine months ago

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
shout out to The Prisoner

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm going to have so much Schadenfreude whenever WOFF get round to Death Stranding

Edit: and now that I think about it, Nier Automata too

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EC posted:

Willing to bet neither one of those ever happen.

I'd be really quite disappointed if they never covered those games out of some weird popular hangover spite

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EC posted:

Patreon dot com slash duckfeed tv

hey bro ive held out hope for a decade that they will cover Thief 1/Thief 2 and thats way higher up my list than Nier or DS lol

plus, this is totally tangential to anything but I've just cancelled all my subs/recurring charges including WOFF as things are really starting to go south in the UK

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 16, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DoubleCakes posted:

Listening to the latest episode on Strangeland and when did they get rid of skits? Pretty sure since I last listened to them they were still doing skits. I never liked them much because I didn't find them funny but now that they're gone I feel lost.

It was a good few years ago, I recall them saying in dispatch that they got a surprising amount of negative reaction from them, that's a bit lovely but I do have to echo the sentiment that every skit felt like this bizarre self referential in joke

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

C-Euro posted:

Listening to the first part of the Hades WOFF and am shocked to hear that Kole has apparently never played a roguelike.

Woff canon is that Kole hates Rogue likes and Gary wants to quit the podcast, move to a desert island and play Issac all night and day

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That's just a lot of American television shows: episode after episode after episode as if you have nothing you want to do for the next week but chain watch Always Sunny and Booklyn 99. Thats the one thing classic British TV shows really have over most US ones - 6 episodes per series. Maybe 3 seasons if you are lucky.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
WOO Resident Evil 4 remake episodes just dropped, 3 hours 48 minutes of my work afternoon going to be that bit easier

For what its worth I just didn't click with the RE4 remake, it feels and looks brilliant but I hadn't played the original probably since 2010 or so so ended up going back and replaying that instead ha, maybe this episode will convince me to push the remake to the top of my list

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love the podcast but the pre show skits always felt like weird in jokes that I didn't get or understand

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

This is the most intense mad cause bad I've heard in a minute, regarding Jak II

As someone who loved Jak 1 and binned Jak 2 after a few hours I really enjoyed their takedown lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DoubleCakes posted:

As interesting as the Jak II episode was, I don't think that kind of outrage is something I'd want very often. A Kingdom Hearts episode would be bad WOFF. Without even playing the games, Gary's clocked the problems of Kingdom Hearts pretty accurately and I don't think the episode would uncover much more. It would be 2-4 hours of Gary and Kole saying, "This is stupid" over and over again and that's never entertaining or profound.

Also, I feel like something got ate by a time hole because I thought that WOFF covered the first Baldur's Gate. I know they did Dark Alliance and the sequel but the first has been untouched?

One of the grossest holes in the Woff archives along with having covered thief 3 but no Dark project or Metal Age

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

C-Euro posted:

Whenever I feel the need to get worked up over someone else's video game opinion, I remember that they are just video games and ultimately not that important.

whats more important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Joe Rogan one was just annoying - he had some brilliant guests on his podcast - Louis Theroux, John Carmack, Brian Cox, but as soon as you can't get a podcast on Podcast Addict it's dead to me