Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

I found this thing cleaning out somebody's garage. I can't even begin to guess what it is or what the hell it was used for.

No model number that i can find. Looks like some kind of pressure vessel for something. No idea why it has so many valves or what it connects to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
maybe a filter? take the cap off and take a looksie. the thing with a ring looks like a pressure relief valve, so you can manually pull it and extinguish any built up pressure before you take it a part.

The wing nuts for the cap suggest its something that needs to be taken off often. so im guessing filter. but who the gently caress knows. maybe there's a safe inside

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Filter? Looks too complicated for that. Yeah it does have a pressure relief valve. It also has a carrying handle, so whatever the hell it is, it's meant to be portable.

I don't want to open it until I know what, if anything might be inside it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That looks like a half-gallon borkulator. Used from the end of the 19th century until the late 60s for gas management in industrial applications.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Looks almost like some kind of old-timey bomb calorimeter.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
It looks like an old natural gas regulator of some sort.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have no idea what it is, but here is hoping you find some kind of vintage moonshine in it.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Noun Verber posted:

It looks like an old natural gas regulator of some sort.

That top part does indeed. Makes me think it is for natural gas. But that doesn't explain the rest of it, or why it's portable. Did someone just go into a hardware store 50 years ago to pick up parts for a mad science experiment?

Okay I decided to open it and I think I know what it is now.

I think it's an old paint or chemical sprayer. Probably used compressed air to mix whatever it's supposed to hold and spray it.

Cracked_Gear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 19, 2017

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Seconding bomb calorimeter. They have a lil propeller inside to stir ambient water. The other thing might have contained the wires and attached to the sample cup

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
its youre moms dildo

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Victorian era weed bong

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The gas regulator and wing nuts to let you open it quickly make me think it's a carbide acetylene generator.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its a margarita machine OP

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

GWBBQ posted:

The gas regulator and wing nuts to let you open it quickly make me think it's a carbide acetylene generator.

That seems very likely, compared to the rest of the suggestions. You have my vote!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's my rear end

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
You're not very good at taking pictures.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's obviously either a small pastry or a turtle with its shell off.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
I know this was a while back, but I actually know what this is. This is a pot used to spray paint and other coatings. I use one similar to this in my job as a custom cabinet finisher. One hose fits to an air compressor, the other hose is attached to a spray gun. The knobs regulate air pressure. On the inside, the straight tube looking thing is the pipe that sucks up the paint. The rudder looking thing is called an agitator. The air supplied by the compressor keeps the agitator running insuring your chemical stays mixed.

That one's in pretty rough shape, but pots with agitators are sought after and fetch a pretty good bit.

Kabraxis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2017

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bong, paint sprayer, dildo... I don't know who to believe.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Bong, paint sprayer, dildo... I don't know who to believe.

It can do all these things as well as measure calories, because that is the creative adaptability of humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Caufman posted:

It can do all these things as well as measure calories, because that is the creative adaptability of humans.

It measures how many calories you burn while using it as a dildo, with a bonus feature that it agitates paint at the same time from the mechanical insertion and retraction.

• Locked thread