Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i took out a second mortgage so drayley could go to a private kindergarten but his teacher says he's already beatboxing at a 4th grade level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
My sister has a kid that's 10 now and as much as I enjoy more and more being the cool uncle as the kid gets older as much I would probably kill myself if I had to take care of that 24/7, there is permanently something else. Next door to my condo there lives an old couple who never had kids either (no idea about the reason, none of my business) and they're basically traveling non-stop which I imagine to be nice.

Downstairs on the other hand there lives an even older couple who has two kids. The woman is very hard to get rid of because she has nobody really to talk to since her husbands mind is slowly going because of Alzheimers. One son doesn't really talk to them anymore, the other low-key already thinks about shoving them off to some retirement home to get the nice condo. He doesn't even allow them to put pictures up because he doesn't want to have holes in his walls. They went months without a stove until I couldn't watch it anymore and installed it for them, something he kept promising over and over but was "too busy" to do. If I ever meet him I'm probably going to punch him in the face.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Idk, it's frowned upon to hit a kid with a rolled up newspaper

true, a belt or whatever does more lasting damage is traditional

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Police Automaton posted:

My sister has a kid that's 10 now and as much as I enjoy more and more being the cool uncle as the kid gets older as much I would probably kill myself if I had to take care of that 24/7, there is permanently something else. Next door to my condo there lives an old couple who never had kids either (no idea about the reason, none of my business) and they're basically traveling non-stop which I imagine to be nice.

Downstairs on the other hand there lives an even older couple who has two kids. The woman is very hard to get rid of because she has nobody really to talk to since her husbands mind is slowly going because of Alzheimers. One son doesn't really talk to them anymore, the other low-key already thinks about shoving them off to some retirement home to get the nice condo. He doesn't even allow them to put pictures up because he doesn't want to have holes in his walls. They went months without a stove until I couldn't watch it anymore and installed it for them, something he kept promising over and over but was "too busy" to do. If I ever meet him I'm probably going to punch him in the face.

You realize there's a group that deals with elder abuse, right? You're supposed to call them when this happens so they step in make sure this gets fixed.

Call them and at least let them know what's going on. Worst case, they say "it's legal" but at least let them known.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my friend is having a kid because "he's bored"

i think his wife bullied him into it because he was no kid ardent for 15 years :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

just spent the last half hour heating up a bottle and feeding the baby at 4:00 am because he's not old enough yet to go through the night. normally this takes my wife 10 minutes because it's a lot quicker to just take out a warm tittie, but shes away for the weekend at a bachelorette party. i guess one of her friends just realized that once you hit 30 you no longer have the capacity or ability to be cool anymore so you might as well get married and have kids.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

ballistics statistics posted:

You realize there's a group that deals with elder abuse, right? You're supposed to call them when this happens so they step in make sure this gets fixed.

Call them and at least let them know what's going on. Worst case, they say "it's legal" but at least let them known.

Nothing illegal about being a lovely kid who eyes his future inheritance. It's their condo. He isn't obliged to do anything except wait until they can't be on their own anymore to upgrade his living arrangements.

It's as counterpoint for all the people that tell themselves "my kid will be my retirement insurance one day". How much do you feel like taking care of the everyday problems of someone who's 75+? Yeah, I thought so. It is not a very good plan, especially if you are from a culture that doesn't put much stock in family and caring for elders.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i agree op, procreation is bad and unnecessary and besides we'll all be merged with machines soon anyway so what is the point lol

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Good luck with the future oven planet, Muslims and Africans.

Ha Ha we hosed you good.

FUCK YOU CAT!
Mar 23, 2009

FUCKIN' AIR DUSTER
big DUST WITH text
big AIR CATtext
It's fine if you have 2 sets of local grandparents who don't mind looking after your little angel so you can still go down the pub with your mates.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gently caress YOU CAT! posted:

It's fine if you have 2 sets of local grandparents who don't mind looking after your little angel so you can still go down the pub with your mates.

Well that's why in cultures in which the whole family lives in the same house kids are less draining.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Universe Master posted:

Ha Ha we hosed you good.

Forgot about that whole angle. Yeah. I hope my religious ex was wrong about everything, don't feel like explaining that one to somebody

E: oops, there's jesus and he looks kinda pissed

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Being able to take pretty much whatever jobs you and your spouse want, while still saving money and enjoying cool poo poo often, merely because you don't have a constant money-suck that you're obligated to care for until they move out at 18 (if you're lucky), owns pretty loving hard.

Hate your job? Lol, quit and find another. Living expenses of two people who don't blow cash on meaningless stuff are pretty minimal. Throw even a single, idiot child into that mix: sorry about your bad job and how you dread every single day you have to step foot in there because you literally can't afford to quit

Also: there is zero guarantee you'll raise a person you won't be terrifically embarrassed of, or, even worse, who won't end up killing themselves, or others. Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I love my parents to death, but I know a lot of people in their 20's and 30's who don't talk to theirs and/or don't like them.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure kids are cool but who knows what the world will look like in 20 years .. you must have a Lotta faith in humanity to willingly bring your children onto this earth

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there are lots of studies that show people without children are happier than their kidhaver counterparts

i dont need a study

this seems like common sense

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Welcome to Utah. My sister isnt 40 yet and already has a 18 year old.
Dating single girls in utah in their late 20s, a good number are divorcees and have kids.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

GREAT SATAN posted:

i agree op, procreation is bad and unnecessary and besides we'll all be merged with machines soon anyway so what is the point lol

Jeeze you'd think they would find a guy with less offensive nips for that magazine cover

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I'm child-free and my nipples are like silver dollar pancakes!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Edgar posted:

Welcome to Utah. My sister isnt 40 yet and already has a 18 year old.
Dating single girls in utah in their late 20s, a good number are divorcees and have kids.

Utah is where you can fine the Kaylee or Jaclyn of your dreams

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

the good fax machine posted:

Jeeze you'd think they would find a guy with less offensive nips for that magazine cover

Wait till you see her nips!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

TheSpamalope posted:

Im gonna adopt a couple lil bastards in a cuppa years

unironcially

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i took out a second mortgage so drayley could go to a private kindergarten but his teacher says he's already beatboxing at a 4th grade level

nefarious killin it itt as usual

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there are lots of studies that show people without children are happier than their kidhaver counterparts

i feel like this should be a common sense thing everyone should know but then tired, dead-eyed parents try telling me that it's all worth it and I wouldn't understand until i have a kid of my own

the only thing i can think is they are trying to trick me into having kids because misery loves company

or they have been brainwashed by hormones or something

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Most don't have the self awareness to truly get something out of having kids, so it inevitably becomes a recurring cycle of abuse that was inflected upon you.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Parents are like theta 6 scientologists. They just trying to justify their poor decisions and wasted resources with weak shame bombs

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Nobody's gonna just come right out and say that they hate raising children. Usually. I mean, that'd definitely make them look bad.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i unironically think voluntary human extinction is a good and cool idea. let's none of us have kids ever again, pls.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor SJW posted:

This is apparently what happens irl

You need some evolutionary change to make sure parents don't abandon their angry screaming pet rocks

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Professor SJW posted:

i feel like this should be a common sense thing everyone should know but then tired, dead-eyed parents try telling me that it's all worth it and I wouldn't understand until i have a kid of my own

the only thing i can think is they are trying to trick me into having kids because misery loves company

that's the point of the studies really. parents self report as being happier overall at a much higher rate than kidfrees but when they called both samples repeatedly over time and asked how their day was kidhavers bitched and moaned way way way more

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

"I'm child-free and my nipples are like silver dollar pancakes!"

words to live by

E: The human brain is amazing at telling you you did the right thing as defense mechanism for your psyche. You can have people shooting up heroin they whored their 5 year old out for and tell themselves that it probably was not the worst thing to do and they kind of had a point doing it. It's just how the human brain works.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

that's the point of the studies really. parents self report as being happier overall at a much higher rate than kidfrees but when they called both samples repeatedly over time and asked how their day was kidhavers bitched and moaned way way way more

lol that sounds about right

etalian posted:

This is apparently what happens irl

You need some evolutionary change to make sure parents don't abandon their angry screaming pet rocks

for real i can imagine cave men throwing their screaming kids into a bog and whistling as they walk away

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I probably have maybe two or three children somewhere overseas. Probably making a living sorting garbage or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor SJW posted:

lol that sounds about right

Having kids is basically evolutionary stockholm syndrome

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I probably have maybe two or three children somewhere overseas. Probably making a living sorting garbage or something.

Close, they strip copper from discarded electrical wiring

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

etalian posted:

Having kids is basically evolutionary stockholm syndrome

i'm going to put this on a bumper sticker

also, "throw your kids into a bog"

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would definitely throw my girl in a bog if I thought I could get away with it. With that said, she's alright sometimes.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My mom had me when she was 21 and in her senior year of college but kept on with both of us, got her degree, and raised a beautiful son

Universe Master posted:

this strengthens the populace

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

i will never have kids but only because i am committed to white genocide

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

I would definitely throw my girl in a bog if I thought I could get away with it. With that said, she's alright sometimes.

she'll be ok. the bog creatures can raise her. turtles and otters and poo poo.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i will never have kids but only because i am committed to white genocide

what up white genocide buddy :hfive:

we need a kill whitey smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I now fully understand "Country Death Song" by the Violent Femmes

• Locked thread