Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Problem Description: I've assembled a new computer from the ground up from components. After putting everything together and trying to boot, I find that it won't POST or give any indication that something is happening outside of the power light coming on and the fans starting. So I strip it down to the essentials in order to start debugging it: one stick of RAM, onboard video, a speaker to catch status beeps and the CPU fan. Still nothing - no video, no beeps. So I remove the RAM, expecting to at least get the "no RAM" warning beeps and still get nothing.

I've checked that both motherboard power plugs are attached and that there are no bent pins in the processor socket. I'd like some advice on what to try next. I I'm guessing either the CPU or motherboard is bad, but I don't know which one I should try RMAing first. Or maybe there are other things I can try to debug it?

Attempted Fixes: Cleared CMOS, checked for processor socket bent pins, checked power supply, tried with minimal configuration.

Recent Changes:It's a 100% new system and it's never worked.

Operating System: Haven't been able to get that far yet.

System specs:

Motherboard: ASRock ATX DDR4 Motherboards FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4
CPU Fan: be quiet! BK019 DARK ROCK PRO 3 Silent wings CPU Cooler 250W TDP
Processor: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series, RM550x, 550W
RAM: G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4

This motherboard doesn't come with an internal speaker, so I also plugged in a generic motherboard speaker.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A few quick things you could try, depending:

When you cleared the CMOS, did you do that with the jumper or by removing the battery? Try the other option and see if that works.

Based on the manual for that motherboard there is a jumper for a built in Backup UEFI/BIOS:

Try switching the to backup UEFI and confirm the LED lights up for the primary and backup LEDs when you're using them respectively.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

A few quick things you could try, depending:

When you cleared the CMOS, did you do that with the jumper or by removing the battery? Try the other option and see if that works.

I used the jumper method to clear the CMOS. I've just tried the battery method and it seems to have had an effect - it will give the proper warning beeps when the RAM is missing, but when I try adding RAM to any of the slots it goes back to the previous behavior.

quote:

Try switching the to backup UEFI and confirm the LED lights up for the primary and backup LEDs when you're using them respectively.

The backup UEFI gives the same behavior as the primary and the correct LED lights up for the one selected.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Try taking the mobo out of the case and hooking it up while it sits on a non-conductive surface. If it is making poor contact in the case or something got loose and is stuck under it in the case then you could be seeing a short.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Try taking the mobo out of the case and hooking it up while it sits on a non-conductive surface. If it is making poor contact in the case or something got loose and is stuck under it in the case then you could be seeing a short.

I gave it a try and got the same deal - fans start up, but no onboard video and no warning beeps.

I'm going to borrow some different RAM tomorrow and see if that has an effect.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trying different RAM is a good idea. If you could try a different PSU it wouldn't be a bad idea, either. It is sounding like a situation where you're going to have RMA something, it's just a matter of trying to figure out what.

I'd guess the most likely point of failure is going to be the motherboard, but trying to rule out other components first is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Just because I hate question threads that don't have a resolution:

The culprit was the motherboard. I replaced it and now everything works perfectly.

• Locked thread