Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Reserved for content]

Basically I just watched a serious man the other day and was blown away. Never saw it before. Sy Ableman is an epic character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Serious man is a heavily overlooked Cone Bros flick. Ive seen practically all their movies, theyve got a legendary career for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Big Lebowski

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A Serious Man is my favorite Coen movie, and is definitely overlooked. But their movies are so good that it's understandable that it's overlooked.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched Hail Caesar! last week and boy let me tell you no one does idiots with outrageous whimsy like these fellas do. I have a deep love for their serious movies but like Caesar and Burn After Reading are two of the best comedies.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I liked East of Eden, the collection of short stories from Ethan Coen. I suspect a lot of those stories were screenplays that they gave up on--that's too bad, because I think a lot of those stories would have made great short films. But anyway, yeah, Big Lebowski followed closely by A Serious Man.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

I watched Hail Caesar! last week and boy let me tell you no one does idiots with outrageous whimsy like these fellas do. I have a deep love for their serious movies but like Caesar and Burn After Reading are two of the best comedies.

Not enough people cast George Clooney in buffoon/comedy roles which is a drat shame because he's loving excellent at them. Every scene of his in Hail Caesar is gold.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Also I bring this up every time A Serious Man is mentioned but it has one of the best trailers ever, period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKHWRbK2_Q

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

if y ou loved a serious man check out inside llewyn davis next, its maybe my favorite of their serious movies. not as funny as a serious man but its really good and the soundtrack is fuckin amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzH4he7hP8

but yeah the coens are my favorite modrn fillmmakers, everything i've seen by them has been fuckin perfect. Still need to see hail caesar, but its next on my watchlist so i'll get to it soon. still kind of wshed they'd done anything with the rights to the yiddish policemans union, that would have been amazing

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

if y ou loved a serious man check out inside llewyn davis next, its maybe my favorite of their serious movies. not as funny as a serious man but its really good and the soundtrack is fuckin amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzH4he7hP8

but yeah the coens are my favorite modrn fillmmakers, everything i've seen by them has been fuckin perfect. Still need to see hail caesar, but its next on my watchlist so i'll get to it soon. still kind of wshed they'd done anything with the rights to the yiddish policemans union, that would have been amazing

I have seen it and loved it

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

The Big Lebowski

I think wormskull and I watched this 3x this month alone. A perfect movie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A few months ago I watched Miller's Crossing nad it's very good. It's a slower noir movie and it's great.

I think my favorite from them is still No Country For Old Men, it's just so incredibly well put together, every scene is a feast.

If somebody wants to watch another great comedy flick with Clooney then Intolerable Cruelty is pretty great.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I love the heck out of Fargo and I think the TV show, while not directly by the Coens captures the magic of their film-making as a whole extremely well, not just the movie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH6iTLpG1_k

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Serious Man is a good rear end movie.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched it again on New Year's Eve this year to start my year off with a bang

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Inside Llewellyn Davis is an excellent film if you want to see someone make the wrong choice at every chance

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
No Country for Old Men might be my favorite drama of all time.

On the more obscure side of their work, Barton Fink is a drama so grimy and claustrophobic it doubles as a horror film. John Goodman is particularly great in it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I love all of their films but my personal favorite will probably always be Miller's Crossing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blood Simple and Raising Arizona are perfect movies.

The Hudsucker Proxy is also one of my favorites too.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Miller's Crossing is probably the best non-Godfather gangster movie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Miller's Crossing is fantastic because A) Gabriel Byrne in a leading role, hell yeah B) John Torturo in his signature piece of poo poo character role who gets killed which owns.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

O Brother Where Art Thou is probably their most underrated movie even though I loved it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

A Serious Man is just amazing and also has my favorite theme of any Coen bros movie even including Fargo. The scene where Larry is fixing the antenna on the roof always blows me away. Probably my favorite movie by these boys I could think about it all day and every day.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Larry and Sy are both gonna be in the new season of Fargo... hoipe

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

A Serious Man is just amazing and also has my favorite theme of any Coen bros movie even including Fargo. The scene where Larry is fixing the antenna on the roof always blows me away. Probably my favorite movie by these boys I could think about it all day and every day.

Yeah. Me too

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Maybe Ladykillers is their best movie.

The debate rages on.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

N. Senada posted:

Maybe Ladykillers is their best movie.

The debate rages on.

gently caress You

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My wife and I have not performed the sex act in many years.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

net cafe scandal posted:

Larry and Sy are both gonna be in the new season of Fargo... hoipe

the characters or the actors??

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unclear at this time.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Ladykillers is way better than everyone says. Tom Hanks doing Coens poo poo is just right.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

My wife and I have not performed the sex act in many years.

Well that's none of my business.

Big fan of either The Barber or The Man Who Wasn't There, depending on when you bought your DVD.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

try the new taco place posted:

Ladykillers is way better than everyone says. Tom Hanks doing Coens poo poo is just right.

Tom Hanks is far and away the best part and he is doing his damndest to try to save the rest of the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

How is The Ladykillers bad? There's no known way a movie can be bad if it's shot by Roger Deakins and has J.K. Simmons in it.

:colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's bad.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's bad.

I watched it recently and it's a fun enough movie. It's bottom tier coens tho

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched Intolerable Cruelty within the last year, that one has weird shades of Coen greatness mixed up in a pretty middling sort-of comedy. Basically any time Clooney or Billy Bob are talking it's What You're Looking For, and the rest of it kind of not.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The asthma inhaler swap might be one of theirfunniest jokes to date though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

It's bad.

Bad Coens is still better than most bad anyone else.

• Locked thread