Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Egbert Souse posted:

How is The Ladykillers bad? There's no known way a movie can be bad if it's shot by Roger Deakins and has J.K. Simmons in it.

:colbert:

It's not. I think it's hilarious and never got the hate for it. I like almost everything the Coens have done. Haven't seen Hail Ceasar yet but Raising Arizona, Lebowski, Fargo and No Country for Old Men are amongst my favorite films of all time in any genre.

No love for The Man Who Wasn't There? That one doesn't get brought up much.

O Brother Where Art Thou gets my vote for most overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not. I think it's hilarious and never got the hate for it.

It's not necessarily bad but it isn't any good either. It's just a total misfire. The biggest problem with it is that they made the old lady far too formidable compared to the original, to the point I was expecting her to just beat all the criminals to death with a frying pan. That's a good movie premise, but it isn't one that jives with the central premise of The Ladykillers. Also Tom Hanks was IMO terribly unfunny to the point I think it was so long since he'd done a humorous role that he'd actually forgotten how and just acted weird instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not. I think it's hilarious and never got the hate for it. I like almost everything the Coens have done. Haven't seen Hail Ceasar yet but Raising Arizona, Lebowski, Fargo and No Country for Old Men are amongst my favorite films of all time in any genre.

No love for The Man Who Wasn't There? That one doesn't get brought up much.

O Brother is a great film. :colbert:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I like O Brother a lot but it is definitely the movie my grandmother thought was their "good movie." It's like the perfect movie for people who thought the Big Lebowski would be fun if it just didn't have all those cuss words.

Fun fact, first time I watched Big Lebowski with my spouse she said she didn't like all the explicit language in it. And then only a few minutes later, the stranger said his line about it. That was a cool moment the universe gave me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BiggerBoat posted:

No. Wrong. Bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

GOD TIER:
a serious man
no country for old men
fargo
the big lebowski
barton fink

great tier:
raising arizona
the hudsucker proxy
the man who wasnt there
burn after reading

ok tier:
hail caesar

dont remember except for the ending tier:
blood simple
millers crossing

bad tier:
true grit
o brother where art thou

never seen it tier:
intolerable cruelty
the ladykillers
inside llewyn davis >_>

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Inside Llewellyn Davis is top tier IMHO

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While I really enjoyed Inside Llewyn Davis, I don't think it's up there with their best work. It's The Straight Story of Coen movies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Having not seen Ladykillers I think True Grit is their actual worst. That movie meant nothing to me and its the only Coen movie that hasnt been mentione din this thread, for good reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

O Brother Where Art Thou should be in OK Tier and Burn After Reading and Barton Fink should be swapped

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Imo their earlier movies like Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple have pace and quality to them that they never really matched later on. I don't want to say that they're the best but Fargo and No Country are these giants that have everything in them and are amazing but there was something gentle and atmospheric in those smaller scope films where actor performances were the main focus.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Millers Crossing would be in god tier for me but I agree with NCS list

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man you guys are tough. I really really enjoyed Hail Ceaser. If anyone else had made it it would be a great film but I get how for the Coen's its only "good".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Hudsucker Proxy is still one of their underrated greats.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Blood Simple (I've only seen the newer edit and not the original) is super impressive. Everybody's performance in that movie is excellent and the pace is something else. It feels so slow and methodical at first and slowly ramps up in intensity.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wasn't much of a fan of the big lebowski

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Mods?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Jose posted:

Why?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jose posted:

what

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Jose posted:

No way Jose

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jose posted:

DOesnt make too much sense to me, but more power to you.. At least you probably like No Country For Old Men and Fargo though.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

DOesnt make too much sense to me, but more power to you.. At least you probably like No Country For Old Men and Fargo though.

they're extremely good

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

net cafe scandal posted:

Having not seen Ladykillers I think True Grit is their actual worst. That movie meant nothing to me and its the only Coen movie that hasnt been mentione din this thread, for good reason

Actually, it's good

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

General Dog posted:

Actually, it's good

Disagree

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Well, you're wrong. Soz.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I used to always be able to remember Barry Pepper's name because I thought he looked and talked so much like Robert Duvall's Ned Pepper character in the original True Grit. Then he got cast as Ned Pepper in the new True Grit. Pretty cool imo

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
True Grit is real good because Jeff Bridges is real good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's actually good because Hailee Steinfeld is real good (in that movie, and reportedly in a new movie w Woody Harrelson)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

General Dog posted:

It's actually good because Hailee Steinfeld is real good (in that movie, and reportedly in a new movie w Woody Harrelson)

I was so cranky when she got nominated for Best Supporting Actress instead of Best Actress. She wouldn't have won either way, and it might be a stretch to say she carried that movie, but drat she was good.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
True Grit is merely meh in a sea of 5 baggers that is the Coen filmography

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's the worst in that it's just forgettable and mediocre rather than actually bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i really liked o brother i was surprised just how much I liked it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jose posted:

i really liked o brother i was surprised just how much I liked it

When I read it was basically a live-action Wile E. Coyote I felt stupid for not realizing it myself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Embarrassing admission: I don't really like Raising Arizona all that much :(

Fargo, Lebowski, Serious Man, Barton Fink, and Llewyn are my God-tier Coens, in that order. No Country is obviously amazing too but not my kind of movie as much as those five.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

It's the worst in that it's just forgettable and mediocre rather than actually bad

yeah they've never made a bad movie tbqh

o brother is cool partly bc granmas love it, bc it's cynical about southern politics

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Would that it were so simple.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's.... complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wood that it twere so.

• Locked thread