Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I fuckin love television. Starting with the Sopranos, television has quickly become the medium for telling complex and engaging stories. The trump thread often incorporates lots of tv chat/cool gifs of the young pope smoking, and I thought it might be nice to have a place specifically to post about the wonders of the evil left wing agenda brainwashing machine boob tube. Besides just TVIVing all the Sunday night shows, it'd be swell as heck if people make posts recommending both obscure and popular older shows/miniseries as well (similar to Montesque's c-spam movie thread).

So, grab a cig/jay , fire up your lappys, and get ready to vicariously live more interesting lives through the magic of tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQ512JgDbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Since this is CSPAM, let me start with a politics specific rec:

Show Me A Hero is the brainchild of David Simon, which is probably enough of a recommendation all on it's own. It tells the true story of politician Nick Wasicsko (Oscar Isaac), who became America's youngest big city mayor by campaigning against the forced desegregation of Yonkers via the construction of affordable public housing, only to then have to implement the plan himself when a judge begins fining the city $1 million dollars for every day that they don't comply with the order.

It's a pretty intense tale, one that highlights complicated hypocrisies of local politics by showing how ambition can corrupt even the best of intentions. It's also a surpsingly engaging look into the issues surrounding public housing, specifically with regards to the defensible space theory, which stipulates that the crime surrounding high-rise projects is a failure of design and not, as the middle-class white population of Yonkers assert, some personality flaw specific to "those people." It has a similar feel to the social commentary portions of the Wire, except told from the prospective of the people trapped inside the high-rises versus that of the drug dealers and police who make life so unbearable.

imho, it's Isaac's best performance to date, and also includes some great turns from Jim Bulshi, Catherine Keener, Alfred Molina, and CSPAM-favorite Winona Ryder :love: as Yonkers City Council president Vinni Restiano.

It's the kind of biographical true story that you shouldn't look up details about beforehand if you don't already know them, allowing you to fully experience the arc of one of America's most fascinating politicians. It's only six episodes, so not a huge commitment at all. Go watch it!

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPIflcWIOk

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

huh, maybe i should've kept watching mad men

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

zeal posted:

huh, maybe i should've kept watching mad men

pete campbell is the best

imo Mad Men is one of the only shows that never had a dip in quality, but instead just got better and better with each season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXoILGnHnvM&t=9s

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yes, Minister

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Speaking of David Simon, I'll go ahead and recommend Generation Kill here as well.

Based off the memoir of a Rolling Stone journalist embedded with the Marine 1st Recon Battalion (a propaganda tactic pioneered by bushkrew; give the illusion of "full access" by placing reporters within units where their experience of the war can be monitored and controlled, and where they'd inevitably become "one of the guys" and lose their objectivity), Generation Kill nonetheless is a brutal depiction of the bewilderingly idiotic Iraq II invasion. It reveals the absurdity of modern war, and shows how those early months in Iraq mismanaged and frankly, kind of surreal. Guys who had been trained for elite surgical stealth missions ride around in humvees in broad daylight, shooting at a massively inferior army like an on-the-rails video game.

It's funny in parts, maddening in others, and ultimately just a morose portrayal of what happens when you send dumb kids into the desert with machine guns and tell them to intelligently wage war in an alien world. There's no swelling Saving Private Ryan orchestral music. It's soundtracked by the squeaking of radios and the bitching of Rip-Fuel'd wacked out all-American marines, bouncing from one inevitable war crime to another, undersupplied by an administration whose priority was to destroy a civilization as cheaply as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRg4-pCSMjM

If you're hyped to experience the frustration, confusion, and bureaucratic nonsense that governs modern warfare, then Generation Kill is the best place to go.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

imo Mad Men is one of the only shows that never had a dip in quality, but instead just got better and better with each season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXoILGnHnvM&t=9s

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Generation Kill would have been a better season 5 for the Wire than actual season 5.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1y_q36-mJQ

quality writing, the medium of today

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
spoilers: a bunch of swole slaves start murdering rich people, and then they help normal slaves become swole so they can murder rich people too, and then everyone dies because they had not yet developed the immortal science

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Yeah so I've been watching Babylon 5 off and on with a friend of mine and season 2 when creeping fascism arrives in the guise of a baby-faced smoothbrain being manipulated behind the scenes feels a little too real for a show with cardboard sets and rubber mask aliens

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Silicon Valley was pretty good at portraying the tech sector and it made Elon Musk hella mad as a bonus.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sorry, i don't own a tv

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Silicon Valley was pretty good at portraying the tech sector and it made Elon Musk hella mad as a bonus.

I just started finally watching this, what part made Musk mad?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it still is, season 4 is coming in a couple of months

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just started finally watching this, what part made Musk mad?

The negative portrayal of tech CEOs and the weird creepy cult compounds they create for theit employees.

Musk was angry after seeing the pilot episode sy Redwood City since he said weird abusive startup owners would never be able to find success.

Also the Expanse owns, instead of Final Frontier you have rich people being horrible in space and the production values are top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8

Incorporated is also good since it takes places in post global warming apocalyptic America in which corporation in cyberpunk style take over the whole country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nv1m1FZuGY

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

most people in the tech industry love Silicon Valley. Google started off a presentation with Martin Starr and Kumail Nanjiani as their characters on the show. Musk is just a whiner

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

most people in the tech industry love Silicon Valley. Google started off a presentation with Martin Starr and Kumail Nanjiani as their characters on the show. Musk is just a whiner

They didn't take too nicely to getting trolled by TJ Miller at the Tech Crunch awards especially his line on how SF will never be loved like LA.

Also for Trump supporters the best show is Colony since it has big beautiful wall

Aliens invade and take over the earth, getting collaborators to run what's left of the government. Good since a good amount of the show
is about collaboration and even the "good" guys have shades of grey for how far they are willing to go for resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLW-qQLMQs

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

get that OUT of my face posted:

it still is, season 4 is coming in a couple of months

Oh cool. Didn't know they got another season coming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kill Joys is good too if you prefer a more pulpy sci fiction show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8rLnjMqi78

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

etalian posted:

Incorporated is also good since it takes places in post global warming apocalyptic America

lol @ this er'day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Smh0vojz0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This ad owned

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh cool. Didn't know they got another season coming.
it feels weird to have mike judge create shows for a channel that actually enjoys having him around

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

The Thick of It

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Armando Iannucci also did Veep, and it's insanely good.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

The final season of Girls is killing it so far

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The final season of Girls is killing it so far
i will never watch that show and you can't make me

on the other hand, Bates Motel started tonight. i'm already loving the norman and norma bates dynamic. freddie highmore needs an emmy nomination

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah so I've been watching Babylon 5 off and on with a friend of mine and season 2 when creeping fascism arrives in the guise of a baby-faced smoothbrain being manipulated behind the scenes feels a little too real for a show with cardboard sets and rubber mask aliens

lol yeah B5 is pretty loving on target atm

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6cDvtsRSQk

Watching West Wing made me really really want Trump as president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYcMk3AJKLk

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
baloogan does any part of your life involve not trolling liberals

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

baloogan does any part of your life involve not trolling liberals

im not trolling this is just how i discuss politics

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

im not trolling this is just how i discuss politics

there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they don't even know the thing is dumb

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just trolling; they are amused by making people mad by saying things they don't really believe

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just ironic; they are amused by mocking people who believe in dumb things

and then, then there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they know the thing is dumb, but they make themselves believe it because it is dumb, and that's the highest form of trolling

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 13:42 on Feb 21, 2017

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
mad men is so fucken slow i couldn't get back into it and finish the second half of season 7 and now i had the last episode spoiled through some awful salon/slate/w/e headline

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

cargo cult posted:

mad men is so fucken slow i couldn't get back into it and finish the second half of season 7 and now i had the last episode spoiled through some awful salon/slate/w/e headline

i'm sorry about that; i relate, and it was hard for me to hang in there too, i mainlined that show on Netflix like an opiate addict seeking a fix

much like opiates though, the longer i watched the weaker the high

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I haven't seen the West Wing, is it good and if so how do I trick my boyfriend into watching it with me?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the west wing may not have been the origin of "by your logic you've proved my point" fantasy arguments, but it definitely made them more prominent

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the classic sorkin walk and talk

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The West Wing is the greatest anime ever made

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love te young pope is who is extremely sexy but also evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The West Wing should come with flashing subtitles saying *this is what American liberals actually believed*

• Locked thread