Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Professor SJW posted:

i would like to give 7 of 9 my hard scifi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjBrqS6hitk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whether or not every transporter incident technically kills you doesnt really matter if you dont believe in a soul or afterlife
the new you isnt just some knockoff genetic clone. it has the exact biochemical pattern that you define as your consciousness. its you. it just seems like its not you when youre still keeping an open mind to their being an afterlife

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

there was that one episode where Barclay was awake and observant while being beamed, and you gotta wonder what was left of him to be observant while being transported.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

whether or not every transporter incident technically kills you doesnt really matter if you dont believe in a soul or afterlife
the new you isnt just some knockoff genetic clone. it has the exact biochemical pattern that you define as your consciousness. its you. it just seems like its not you when youre still keeping an open mind to their being an afterlife

if that's true then explain Riker's duplication

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

eSports Chaebol posted:

she's not into taking random dudes dicks, much to obamas fortune

Gross what the gently caress are you talking about we're discussing sci fi not dicks

I want to give 7 of 9 my unpublished manuscript

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Fake riker pulled off a dope jack move on ds9 then gave up because of feelings. That was so lame.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

From other people's perspective it is identical to you, from your perspective it makes no difference whether a copy is made or they just recycle your molecules into strawberry pocky

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

1 riker + 1 riker = 2 rikers. its not existentialisms fault that society doesnt have a means to account for a circumstance of 2 people having the same past. big deal

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

TheSpamalope posted:

Fake riker pulled off a dope jack move on ds9 then gave up because of feelings. That was so lame.

Didn't even try and gently caress Kira before he gave up.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they eject all their trash before they jump to light speed

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Psycho Society posted:

From other people's perspective it is identical to you, from your perspective it makes no difference whether a copy is made or they just recycle your molecules into strawberry pocky
youre assuming you experience death
if the process is instantaneous or otherwise not experienced then there is functionally no death. one moment your consciousness is here the next instant it is over there. if youre still hanging on to the idea that its different than that then youre still hanging on to the idea of a soul

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1 riker + 1 riker = 2 rikers. its not existentialisms fault that society doesnt have a means to account for a circumstance of 2 people having the same past. big deal

which one is the "real" one?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

which one is the "real" one?
both. if that isnt outright simple then youre really asking which one has the soul

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

its like the duped item bug in diablo

see latest transporter patch notes

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

numberoneposter posted:

its like the duped item bug in diablo

see latest transporter path notes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think your argument of "the only reason you can believe in a consciousness that doesn't transfer is because you believe in the soul" is spurious. I posit that we simply don't know enough about how that all works to definitely state "it's fine don't worry about it, it's actually you coming out the other end."

I don't need to believe in the existence of a soul to question how consciousness is transferred as well.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 20, 2017

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

its simple

we are meat robots and self awareness is an evolved survival trait run awry

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
we know everything about the hypothetical. youre just trying to hold onto a physical concept and a metaphysical concept at the same time when they dont work together. i recommend you disregard all metaphysical and see how plain and simple the physical scenario is
it really isnt the least bit complex

how consciousness is transferred? consciousness in a given instant is defined physically as a electrical and chemical pattern. please dont substitute the word "consciousness" for the word "soul" as you are really using/understanding it

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

consciousness in a given instant is defined physically as a biochemical pattern.

Please provide proof for your assertion.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Dude it's an emergent property so it comes from all of the brain goo nobody can point to it!!!

*adds bubble solution to pipe*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

if you want me to prove consciousness isnt really your ghost floating around in the ether just above your head then thats really your problem to deal with

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

youre assuming you experience death
if the process is instantaneous or otherwise not experienced then there is functionally no death. one moment your consciousness is here the next instant it is over there. if youre still hanging on to the idea that its different than that then youre still hanging on to the idea of a soul

Except it's not your consciousness, it's a copy of it. You won't experience anything after transporting. A clone with all your memories isn't you, it's just indistinguishable from you from an outside perspective.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

if you want me to prove consciousness isnt really your ghost floating around in the ether just above your head then thats really your problem to deal with

No I want you to show me the biochemical basis for "consciousness" instead of acting like a smuggo about it. If your entire argument is "as long as this biochemical process is transferred, then it is actually 'you'" then you must be able to show me evidence that a simple biochemical process is all there is to a consciousness and additionally that transferring it will retain that exact same consciousness.

Since the answers to that are currently beyond human scientific knowledge (afaik) I assume you either know something I don't or are just huffing your own metaphysics ideology.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Psycho Society posted:

Except it's not your consciousness, it's a copy of it. You won't experience anything after transporting. A clone with all your memories isn't you, it's just indistinguishable from you from an outside perspective.

We went over this earlier in the thread. If your worried about this, then you need to be worried that the you from 5 or so years ago who had a completely different atomic structure is dead now.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Universe Master posted:

We went over this earlier in the thread. If your worried about this, then you need to be worried that the you from 5 or so years ago who had a completely different atomic structure is dead now.

That's not similar at all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's a pretty drat false equivalency.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rutibex posted:

because Star Trek is "safe" sci-fi that is afraid to explore the actual implications of their technology. it may as well be a fantasy novel.

same reason that TNG has the exact same technology as TOS, they couldn't develop any new space technology in 100 years apparently

it's p much Harry potter with dilithium crystals and set heading 131 mark 14 mark 10e instead of normal magic words

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Psycho Society posted:

if time was frozen to a stand still and you were moved to the other side of town, would that not be you? if it is you, why? because theyre "your" particles comprising that matter? what if 1 electron is literally identical to every other electron in existence and there's no "Psycho Society" signature on the ones currently comprising your body? then all that is unique to define you and your experience and your existence is the pattern of your parts.
"you won't experience"? consider the transportation as instantaneous. there is no experience of death. the precise definition of what your consciousness is was in one location and the next instant it is in another. the sum total of not only all your parts but also the essence of what defines "you"

without the romantic notion of a soul, there is no longer any romantic notion of "you". if there is not an aspect of you that can not be truly duplicated (soul), then it follows that "you" in every aspect can be duplicated. your copy is you. not just "like" you, "is" you

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah again you're just ignoring the bit about "prove that's how consciousness works."

I also think you're assuming a lot about the functioning of this hypothetical transporter.

quote:

the precise definition of what your consciousness is was in one location and the next instant it is in another.

I'll say that if in the future we figure out how to precisely define it then sure I guess.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
now if there is a soul then at the moment of transportation you get to experience the afterlife i guess and there is a soulless copy of you going through the motions. an abomination. and if you werent deconstructed then obviously youre the one with soul and you get to go to heaven later if youre good

if you arent sure that consciousness is not a function of the physical brain then youre not willing to rule out metaphysical nonsense. enjoy your healing crystals

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 20, 2017

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

we know everything about the hypothetical. youre just trying to hold onto a physical concept and a metaphysical concept at the same time when they dont work together. i recommend you disregard all metaphysical and see how plain and simple the physical scenario is
it really isnt the least bit complex

how consciousness is transferred? consciousness in a given instant is defined physically as a electrical and chemical pattern. please dont substitute the word "consciousness" for the word "soul" as you are really using/understanding it
We understand little about the neurological processes involved in the apparent continuity of experience

I think you are probably right but the questions people are raising are valid. If we imagine someone being duplicated down to their last atom without the original being destroyed then we see why people are doubtful. You wouldn't argue that the original would continue to perceive the experiences of the copy as if they were happening to the original. This is what people are talking about, the subjective perception of their own continued existence. Not souls.

I think you're probably right that persistent consciousness is a kind of illusion but I don't see how you can claim such certainty about this. Particularly as your fatuous description of the phenomenon of consciousness as "a electrical and chemical pattern" suggests that you are no expert on neurobiology.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

There is a big a big problem with Multiplicity

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
some of you guys really need to come to an understanding that everything you are experiencing is literally stuff physically happening in your brain. an extremely complex pattern of matter and energy
and the entire premise of the transporter is that it can read that entire pattern all in one go and exactly reproduce it elsewhere

if your brain stops working, your experiences stop and youre dead. *croak*. another hard reality is that the universe wont end for everyone when you die. everything else will just keep carrying on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

if you arent sure that consciousness is not a function of the physical brain then youre not willing to rule out metaphysical nonsense. enjoy your healing crystals

You're kind of starting to be irritating with insisting that you are the true arbiter of scientific knowledge and we're all dumb for not realizing self evident truths when all I am asking is a question that has baffled actual real scientists for years.

Osric posted:

Particularly as your fatuous description of the phenomenon of consciousness as "a electrical and chemical pattern" suggests that you are no expert on neurobiology.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
do me a favor and outright suggest that maybe there is something beyond the physical that makes up our consciousness. simply insinuating it in the "just asking questions" way is so disappointing

it is a simple thing to answer. do you really think consciousness is metaphysical? yes or no (circle one)
fun fact: if you can't let go of your metaphysical notions, you are literally considering things outside the definition of what is science. thats the matter here. not what is known scientific information but what is outright not science by definition

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 20, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

do me a favor and outright suggest that maybe there is something beyond the physical that makes up our consciousness. simply insinuating it in the "just asking questions" way is so disappointing

it is a simple thing to answer. do you really think consciousness is metaphysical? yes or no (circle one)

Why do you think that just because I'm asking you how the biochemical process of consciousness works in terms of what happens when it is just transferred as you suggest that I'm saying "there must be a soul or something outside the physical?"

It's getting to the point that I think you're just trolling because you're not even attempting to understand the arguments made against you in favor of just repeating the same thing over and over again.

quote:

Of course it isn't.

That doesn't mean there aren't still issues with transportation as presented by Star Trek.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Why do you think that just because I'm asking you how the biochemical process of consciousness works in terms of what happens when it is just transferred as you suggest that I'm saying "there must be a soul or something outside the physical?"

It's getting to the point that I think you're just trolling because you're not even attempting to understand the arguments made against you in favor of just repeating the same thing over and over again.
yeah it must be me trolling. you are pretending this is a conversation while you press it only in one direction and outright refuse to offer up anything from your side. all i want is a simple "i believe consciousness is beyond|within the realm of the physical" from you and you refuse and just keep posting the same thing as you say i am doing. the conversation cannot continue on one end while you hold your end on a standstill

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Changing the subject, Voyager sure must have been equipped with more than the standard two shuttlecraft since they seem to destroy one every other episode.

Unless they have a giant replicator that's just constantly farting them out.

Alo they took the Delta Flyer = car analogy way, way too loving far. A drag race in space? That don't make a lick of sense.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

That doesn't mean there aren't still issues with transportation as presented by Star Trek.
if you want to take an outright ancient thought experiment and hold it to what is canon to star trek technical specifications just to have a bag of unknown confounding variables then that is some pretty weak sauce and i have to suspect that in the back of your mind part of you is ok with hedging your bets that maybe there is an afterlife. there is nothing wrong with that, but if you aren't aware that you're doing it then it will influence how you view the thought experiment. i suspect i am also hedging my bets and have no problem striking the confounding variables and can then view it with the aforementioned specifics of the event being precise and instantaneous. from there if it is assumed that everything that is "uniquely" you is physical then it seems to me that you can be duplicated such that your duplicate in fact is you as much as you are

and if you are intent on viewing this through the specifics of canon star trek transporter specifications, i recommend you play video games instead

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, at least it's better than Star Wars.

• Locked thread