Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

yeah it must be me trolling. you are pretending this is a conversation while you press it only in one direction and outright refuse to offer up anything from your side. all i want is a simple "i believe consciousness is beyond|within the realm of the physical" from you and you refuse and just keep posting the same thing as you say i am doing. the conversation cannot continue on one end while you hold your end on a standstill

I literally just answered that question.

and if you are intent on viewing this through the specifics of canon star trek transporter specifications, i recommend you play video games instead

Given that the name of the thread has 'Star Trek' in it yeah. I'm open to other specifics though. Stop being such a douche lol. Define your terms if you want to talk about something else I can't read your mind.

Also answer the poster who actually seems to know what they are talking about wrt neurobiology. I notice you just ignored that completely.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
can we get back to the poop jokes? please?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

The Dennis System posted:

This whole thread is about making GBS threads and regrowing teeth now? The real problem with Star Trek TNG is that every time someone stands up, they have to pull their shirts down.

That's a relic of TOS. They had to do that when standing up, because the shirts were a separate part of the uniform. It's just that everyone decided it looked cool, so they had Picard and crew doing that on TNG, just for the look.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

if that's true then explain Riker's duplication

I think that has already been explained but, to reiterate, both are Riker. His duplication was an accident that no one thought could happen, and if transporters work by transferring the existing matter of your body, it couldn't have happened. In any case, both were Riker. They were identically Riker, at least at the moment of duplication. It's only after duplication that they diverged into different versions of Riker.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I literally just answered that question.
yeah... after the hour and half of dodging it and blaming me for covering the same ground over and over.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm open to other specifics though. ... Define your terms if you want to talk about something else I can't read your mind.
literally defined all of my proposed parameters from the absolute beginning

Moridin920 posted:

Also answer the poster who actually seems to know what they are talking about wrt neurobiology. I notice you just ignored that completely.
i need to explain all of neurobiology, of course. it. falls. within. the. realm. of. the. physical. which is precisely the point. there are only so many ways to say that so i hope you understand it. how neurons fire or dopamine receptors work is as arbitrary as how much a brain weighs when the Given of what is proposed accounts for all of those details

Moridin920 posted:

Stop being such a douche lol
a troll, a douche, going over the same things over and over again.
the fact is you have insisted this be a one-sided conversation at every step and offered nothing while complaining and being acting so thick skulled that i cant tell if its an act

you could at this point step from the point of all that is given in the conversation and chime in with "why yes in that case it does seem quite clear that the duplicated and/or transported person is/is not identical to the pre-transport person" but youre a conversational brick wall. its a relief to have errands to run

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the biggest problem with star trek is that any time spent watching or thinking about it would be better served watching or thinking about star wars

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

thathonkey posted:

the biggest problem with star trek is that any time spent watching or thinking about it would be better served watching or thinking about star wars
new abrahms star trek is just star wars without the force now
did they even trek through the stars yet in the last movie?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah... after the hour and half of dodging it and blaming me for covering the same ground over and over.
literally defined all of my proposed parameters from the absolute beginning
i need to explain all of neurobiology, of course. it. falls. within. the. realm. of. the. physical. which is precisely the point. there are only so many ways to say that so i hope you understand it. how neurons fire or dopamine receptors work is as arbitrary as how much a brain weighs when the Given of what is proposed accounts for all of those details
a troll, a douche, going over the same things over and over again.
the fact is you have insisted this be a one-sided conversation at every step and offered nothing while complaining and being acting so thick skulled that i cant tell if its an act

you could at this point step from the point of all that is given in the conversation and chime in with "why yes in that case it does seem quite clear that the duplicated and/or transported person is/is not identical to the pre-transport person" but youre a conversational brick wall

You realize you're not actually saying anything here right?

I answered your question once you presented it as a straight question and now you've switched from whining about how I'm not answering you to whining about how I didn't do it soon enough and using that as a way to once again side step actually answering any criticism.

Like the neurobiology dude straight told you that you're getting a lot of concepts wrong and you're just acting like what was said totally supports your argument instead of addressing the points made. That's why I'm saying you're trolling.

I called you a douche because you insist I'm stupid for asking you a basic question that has been a mystery in the field for a long time which you seem to have answered and saying I should go back to video games because I'm assuming that we're talking about Star Trek style rules in a thread about... Star Trek.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 20, 2017

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

thathonkey posted:

time better spent by POSTING :2bong:

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
If I saw someone IRL sit on a chair that way I would call the police.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I get drunk and leave for a dozen hours or so and come back to this? THIS! :yikes:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I answered your question once you presented it as a straight question and now you've switched from whining about how I'm not answering you to whining about how I didn't do it soon enough and using that as a way to once again side step actually answering any criticism.

Like the neurobiology dude straight told you that you're getting a lot of concepts wrong and you're just acting like what was said totally supports your argument instead of addressing the points made. That's why I'm saying you're trolling.

I called you a douche because you insist I'm stupid for asking you a basic question that befuddles real scientists and saying I should go back to video games because I'm assuming that we're talking about Star Trek style rules in a thread about... Star Trek.
oh boy after i asked something a half dozen times all the while you complaining about the conversation not moving you answer and are supposed to get a contribution medal
the "neurobiology dude" said i did not put forth any expert description of neurobiological process where i was not trying to because that would be pointless with what is given. where he talked about peoples subjective experience is something i have actually addressed

Moridin920 posted:

talking about Star Trek style rules in a thread about... Star Trek.
youre meandering about star trek unknowns
[fictional science | and fictional technology | that you dont know the fictional details of]
that is 3 layers of things between you and actually saying anything. you couldnt be further from actually saying anything if you tried. its actually impressive. i wish there were 2 identical yous so i could see what would happen if you were locked in conversation with yourself

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
Would you two quit arguing and just gently caress already?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i laid a clutch of eggs on page 4 to no avail

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Can't you just admit that based on our current understand of how poo poo works we can't definitely state how transporter tech would work from the perspective of the person being transported?

Is that really so goddamn hard? It's not anything to do with metaphysics. You can't sit there and tell me you somehow have figured out a problem that has been baffling scientists for years.

quote:

oh boy after i asked something a half dozen times all the while you complaining about the conversation not moving you answer and are supposed to get a contribution medal

You haven't addressed any one point or argument made against you other than to just keep insisting that we must be somehow caught up on metaphysics because if we weren't then we'd agree with you.

Spurious and illogical.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 20, 2017

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

"computer end program"

*my holo-kira vanishes and a huge sticky load drops out of midair and splats onto the floor*

"Computer... Delete that entire log entry."

*Space toilet flushes*

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Osric posted:

Changing the subject, Voyager sure must have been equipped with more than the standard two shuttlecraft since they seem to destroy one every other episode.

Unless they have a giant replicator that's just constantly farting them out.

Alo they took the Delta Flyer = car analogy way, way too loving far. A drag race in space? That don't make a lick of sense.

Yeah what the hell they frikken throw away resources everywhere on frivolous poo poo but ohh the stupid rear end crystal in our reactor is hard to find. We can replicate a human being but can't replicate a crystal apparently.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

"Computer... Delete that entire log entry."

*Space toilet flushes*

lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how do you guys know that the whole world isnt just an elaborate nigh infinite holodeck type simulation and teleporters are an impossible illusion foist upon us ???

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

how do you guys know that the whole world isnt just an elaborate nigh infinite holodeck type simulation and teleporters are an impossible illusion foist upon us ???

If the universe is a simulation from a society that became advanced enough to simulate a universe it really doesn't matter since the laws of the simulation are effectively the laws of the universe and it doesn't really change anything.

I guess it might matter if the computer simulating our universe was destroyed, or the simulation ends at some arbitrary condition like a multi cellular form of life like ourselves reaching interstellar space. It would depend on the point of the simulation and how much of the observers time it would be operational.

That brings into question how much time would have elapsed at whatever place was simulating our universe because running a simulation for 14 billion years seems like an impossibility, so they would be using this science fiction, nigh unimaginable computational power to accelerate the simulation, so that we experience time linearly but they can simulate time at an accelerated rate.

So the universe might be an hour or a day or a week old to whoever is running it. Maybe next tuesday Jerry is going to shut off the universe (a billion years for us) or maybe a finger is on the off switch now and it will just take 20,000 of our years for it to click.

Best case for us being a simulation is someone wanting to see what the heat death of the universe looks like to test the theory of another big crunch/big bang, so we have a few trillion years left yet before all molecules cease to move and Jerry can see what happens.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you are going to upload your brain into a computer, why not safeguard your immortal soul? Colonel Cancer's "Greener Pastures Inc." will make sure that your new earthly vessel, shiny and chrome, is blessed by a plethora of priests! Rosaries? We got 'em! Holy water? Yep!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you are going to upload your brain into a computer, why not safeguard your immortal soul? Colonel Cancer's "Greener Pastures Inc." will make sure that your new earthly vessel, shiny and chrome, is blessed by a plethora of priests! Rosaries? We got 'em! Holy water? Yep!

This isn't the thread for business companies but thank you for your contribution

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Why didn't the Lexx rebel and kill all the humans?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

more shows need gender swaps eps

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

My problems with Star Trek:

-All the ships are oriented the same direction, with only a few exceptions. There's no way this would really happen.

-If the transporters can destroy your molecular structure and then regenerate it on the other side, why not store a backup copy so that nobody ever dies on away missions?

-Gene Roddenberry was very 'bioconservative' in some ways. There's no microchip implants. There's no genetic engineering. We're supposed to believe humans don't change at all in the future, and that that's looked down upon in society. From where I'm sitting it looks kind of inevitable that that will happen, so it's hard to believe a future where it doesn't, yet we still get stuff like warp drive/holodecks/etc.

-Alien human hybrids are a thing in Star Trek. How the hell can humans and vulcans/klingons/cardassians have viable offspring with each other? They're from different planets. Their DNA should be so different that it's impossible to combine like that. This is the least believable thing in all of Trek.

-Too much time travel. I think Trek would be a lot better without any time travel stories at all. And it's way too easy to do--just fly around a star. That completely breaks the universe.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alien human hybrids are a thing bc all the races are just seeds of the original DNA/whatever made by the precursor race. Like Halo.

7 of 9 has nanobots but also genetic engineering is outlawed bc Indian people.

otherwise yea

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
How Star Trek treats women is very problematic.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob James posted:

How Star Trek treats women is very problematic.

it's okay though he thought it was pah-wraith keiko

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Grevling posted:

Why didn't the Lexx rebel and kill all the humans?

Because it had an IQ of about 25 and the mentality of a very large domestic dog, so it was loyal to Stanley and would only eat planets if instructed to or if very, very hungry.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

new abrahms star trek is just star wars without the force now
did they even trek through the stars yet in the last movie?

star wars without the force is just kinda boring though see: rogue one, the entirety of the star trek IP

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-continuity-problem/

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

thathonkey posted:

star wars without the force is just kinda boring though see: rogue one, the entirety of the star trek IP

Yeah but Rogue One was the best Star Wars film.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

whether or not every transporter incident technically kills you doesnt really matter if you dont believe in a soul or afterlife
the new you isnt just some knockoff genetic clone. it has the exact biochemical pattern that you define as your consciousness. its you. it just seems like its not you when youre still keeping an open mind to their being an afterlife

lets get some philosophy majors in here to explain this. im sure they have the time what with being unemployed and all.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Can't you just admit that based on our current understand of how poo poo works we can't definitely state how transporter tech would work from the perspective of the person being transported?

Is that really so goddamn hard? It's not anything to do with metaphysics. You can't sit there and tell me you somehow have figured out a problem that has been baffling scientists for years.

You haven't addressed any one point or argument made against you other than to just keep insisting that we must be somehow caught up on metaphysics because if we weren't then we'd agree with you.

Spurious and illogical.
"You don't know how the theoretical tech will work! (that's why you use givens to define the scenario in a way that provides a meaning thought experiment. can you follow the conversation at all or not? what moron besides you would insist that the conversation should be about how realistic the fictional technology in star trek would really turn out to be? Keep that dead end conversation in your dead mind)"
"[thing that doesn't exist] is baffling scientists! (uh, no. you are just pulling poo poo out of your rear end. amateur philosophers like you are baffled if you like)"
"You haven't addressed [thing] (actually I've addressed every relevant point)"

I really don't remember you being this dumb before.

thathonkey posted:

nah meeting alien races and doing diplomacies sometimes is pretty cool. the new trek movies i saw were The New Space Adventures of Young Captain Kirk!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you guys are having one of the stupidest arguments in the history of the internet, congratulations

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

you guys are having one of the stupidest arguments in the history of the internet, congratulations
there are only 6 days in a week

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Space Crabs posted:

this is really important to me ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Professor SJW posted:

this is really important to me ok

so's gamergate so we win

• Locked thread