Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

so's gamergate so we win

what does gamergate have to do with star trek

future fats freaking out about women programming the holodeck games or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Professor SJW posted:

what does gamergate have to do with star trek

future fats freaking out about women programming the holodeck games or what?

No i mean you care about something unimportant therefore everything you care about is unimportant haven't you been to schoolk

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

feminazis trying to take away giant holo boobs :cry:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No i mean you care about something unimportant therefore everything you care about is unimportant haven't you been to schoolk

Star Trek is totally unimportant and I only discuss it because of my autism. Also nothing is important, b eeccause nihilism.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

why are you melting down in the star trek thread

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I AM MEEEEELELLLLLLLLTTTTIIIIINNNNNNGGGG DDDDDOOOOOWWWWNNNNNNN

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Star Trek is totally unimportant and I only discuss it because of my autism. Also nothing is important, b eeccause nihilism.

oh got yah ok then lets continue exploring the final fronteir of our autism

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Professor SJW posted:

oh got yah ok then lets continue exploring the final fronteir of our autism

Geordi is a playa imho

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i also bet geordi is kind of a dick and bad to work for. you see tge way he treated scottie when scottie came back for some reason i dont remember? shameful

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Professor SJW posted:

i also bet geordi is kind of a dick and bad to work for. you see tge way he treated scottie when scottie came back for some reason i dont remember? shameful

Yeah he really shoulda suggested Scottie take an online engineering course that probably woulda put him at a normal level of functioning after two half-semesters of courses. Online education may be beyond 24th century technology though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Professor SJW posted:

feminazis trying to take away giant holo boobs :cry:

Holodeck is a whole different can of worms than a mere video game. If I lived in a star trek future and space feminists tried to take away sex simulations from all holodecks, then I would definitely become a space gamergater.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Who is more powerful:

1) Wesley with Traveler powers
2) Q
3) Guinan
?

I tried to find the answer to the first 2 and someone on body building forum proposed #3, as well as Riker's Beard, so don't try to go over that well pounded dirt.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Smythe posted:

Who is more powerful:

2) Q
3) Guinan
?

I tried to find the answer to the first 2 and someone on body building forum proposed #3, as well as Riker's Beard, so don't try to go over that well pounded dirt.

Probably some lame TOS energy being that appeared once and never again even though they were one of the most powerful entities in the multiverse.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

Who is more powerful:

2) Q
3) Guinan
?

4) the smell coming off worf's taint

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I like the part where data screams and it's very high pitched and hurts everyone's head

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Probably some lame TOS energy being that appeared once and never again even though they were one of the most powerful entities in the multiverse.

my answer would be these dudes or the wormhole aliens

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
What is subspace?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Space Crabs posted:

you guys are having one of the stupidest arguments in the history of the internet, congratulations

You haven't seen the Milo thread then.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

And what is a tacheon field?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ill be in the holodeck bangin bev crusher

Better than stickin' your hollow dick in the can crusher

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

The Dennis System posted:

What is subspace?

its what submarines fly around in when they dive

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Cue up a holo-vid of Ezri and Garak going at it in the holodeck and jack off in the holo shitter, occasionally glancing through the holo-peep hole to watch while holo-Bizarro Universe Kira calls me a fag, bitch, loser, etc.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Moridin920 posted:

if that's true then explain Riker's duplication

Season 7 of TNG was garbage.

Star Trek threads on SA are the best because goon Trekkies are a strange breed that love DS9 and like to poke fun at the series. Most Trekkies in the wild seem to be spergy know-it-alls in love with Voyager, and they take it very seriously for some bizarre reason. However, I'd take your average Voyager fan over Mr. Internet Athiest explains while dualism is bullshit. To him and all those arguing with him, y'all need LSD.

Shaddak posted:

That's a relic of TOS. They had to do that when standing up, because the shirts were a separate part of the uniform. It's just that everyone decided it looked cool, so they had Picard and crew doing that on TNG, just for the look.

The post below yours has Riker and Picard in one piece spandex uniforms.

It wasn't a hold-over. The spandex required Stuart to contort his back and he demanded the uniforms change in the third season. They were cheap and switched to a collared, back-zip, jacket and black slacks. The jackets would ride up and people would be forced to pull them down on Camera. The TNG blu-rays are great because you can see exactly how cheap the props and costuming actually were. The horrific sets and props of later-day TNG, DS9, and Voyager looked a lot better when you were watching on a old-rear end TV with bad reception.

/sperg-fit

Let us English fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 21, 2017

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bodyholes posted:

My problems with Star Trek:

-All the ships are oriented the same direction, with only a few exceptions. There's no way this would really happen.

-If the transporters can destroy your molecular structure and then regenerate it on the other side, why not store a backup copy so that nobody ever dies on away missions?

-Gene Roddenberry was very 'bioconservative' in some ways. There's no microchip implants. There's no genetic engineering. We're supposed to believe humans don't change at all in the future, and that that's looked down upon in society. From where I'm sitting it looks kind of inevitable that that will happen, so it's hard to believe a future where it doesn't, yet we still get stuff like warp drive/holodecks/etc.

-Alien human hybrids are a thing in Star Trek. How the hell can humans and vulcans/klingons/cardassians have viable offspring with each other? They're from different planets. Their DNA should be so different that it's impossible to combine like that. This is the least believable thing in all of Trek.

-Too much time travel. I think Trek would be a lot better without any time travel stories at all. And it's way too easy to do--just fly around a star. That completely breaks the universe.

Subspace

They can't and don't, see tech manual

Khan

Humanoid progenitors

Wrong

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
scotty backed himself up in a transporter pattern buffer for decades when his ship crashed into the dyson sphere

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

gary oldmans diary posted:

scotty backed himself up in a transporter pattern buffer for decades when his ship crashed into the dyson sphere

It didn't work for the other dude he was trying to save.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in laymans terms, transporters have the wrong kind of ram

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

in laymans terms, transporters have the wrong kind of ram

I hate them now.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

They can't and don't, see tech manual

What does the tech manual say transporters are doing?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in the Picard episode I mentioned theyq literally say he was the last person to use the teleporter so his waveform will still be saved in the computer

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

~*YOUNG ENSIGN DISCOVERS ONE SIMPLE TRICK TO OPTIMIZE YOUR TRANSPORTER BUFFER ENGINEERS HATE HIM*~

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im taking a class in a PHD program mostly full of English students and we read a long essay last night about how Star Trek "projected hegemonical whiteness into the astro-futurist discourse" and how only DS9 was worthy of consideration as a legit iteration o fthe show in terms of inclusivity. it was stupid and i had like a thousand examples i wanted to bring up but wasn't able to because literally nobody in the class had read or seen the sci fi we were reading articles critiquing

one author basically just abused starship troopers it was rough. English PHDs seem stupid

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Smythe posted:

Who is more powerful:

2) Q
3) Guinan
?

If we're including Traveler Wesley we should also include Nth Degree Barclay

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

im taking a class in a PHD program mostly full of English students and we read a long essay last night about how Star Trek "projected hegemonical whiteness into the astro-futurist discourse" and how only DS9 was worthy of consideration as a legit iteration o fthe show in terms of inclusivity. it was stupid and i had like a thousand examples i wanted to bring up but wasn't able to because literally nobody in the class had read or seen the sci fi we were reading articles critiquing

one author basically just abused starship troopers it was rough. English PHDs seem stupid

gently caress you

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I wish they made data a Borg and also that bitch Wesley

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Isn't marathon literally exactly about a dude who just is continually downloaded from the pattern buffer and beams into a constant space war? Like can't you get killed, "reload" the level and walk past your dead body like "heh scrub me got murdered again" *eats a space grenade*

I played it like once I think? I can't remember. Aren't save points you uploading yourself back into the buffer so you don't have to start over from dead again?

If that's the case at least it's doing something interesting and embracing the fatalistic materialism of the setting, unlike loving trek that constantly glosses it over.

half life does this

the gman is some thing whoser basically only ability is to move around in space time rite? so like everything in the game is there cause the g man has manipulated the events that will happen in front of u before you got there. think of all the easter eggs where u see him. so that means all the coincidental ramps and poo poo are there cause the gman wentback 30 years ago and was like 'hey dude you should build a ramp there' and he also could have manipulated them into building that ramp the guy has a literal infinite amount of time at his disposal

every time you die you just get pooped out of stasis at the last point in time where the system is deterministic and still has probability for mission success

whoa

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nigga crab pollock posted:

half life does this

the gman is some thing whoser basically only ability is to move around in space time rite? so like everything in the game is there cause the g man has manipulated the events that will happen in front of u before you got there. think of all the easter eggs where u see him. so that means all the coincidental ramps and poo poo are there cause the gman wentback 30 years ago and was like 'hey dude you should build a ramp there' and he also could have manipulated them into building that ramp the guy has a literal infinite amount of time at his disposal

every time you die you just get pooped out of stasis at the last point in time where the system is deterministic and still has probability for mission success

whoa
what about all the physics puzzels after the vorgigaunts block him from messing with gordon then IDIOT

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

"[thing that doesn't exist] is baffling scientists! (uh, no. you are just pulling poo poo out of your rear end. amateur philosophers like you are baffled if you like)"

If I'm pulling poo poo out of my rear end why can't you reference or cite one actual thing to shut me up instead of just calling me an idiot repeatedly?

You've addressed nothing and sorry for thinking we were talking about Star Trek in the Star Trek thread lol but I didn't "insist" on anything.

Also you write like you're having a stroke, are you okay fam?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 21, 2017

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

TheSpamalope posted:

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I wish the Borg had destroyed humanity because it would've meant Captain Picard's ingrate piece of poo poo brother would've died too. What an ungrateful sack of poo poo!!!1

• Locked thread