Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i'm guessing these suburban white kids didn't become nazis because they suffer under capitalism

It's because they don't have a single hope for their future and they don't have class consciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

oh cool the 'economic anxiety' meme, where we learn that the richest and most employed demographic group became neonazis because of 'hopelessness'

"Suburban youth" are not the richest or most employed demographic. They are deeply hopeless about the future because they live in deteriorating communities and because their formative political years were spent during the great recession.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the reason they fetishize the 50s and classical gender roles is because they think that even failsons could raise a family then

In the fifties a man could graduate highschool, get a job at the local factory, buy a house, and raise a family. That used to be an option.

People who literally would want to live in the 50s are racist. Cultural idealization of the 50s is completely unsurprising from a materialist perspective, and in some ways it should be encouraged.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All I'm saying is, this economic anxiety stems from the promise of an idealized past which late capitalism fails to deliver. If they came into this world expecting to fail, they'd have never been this reactionary.

My point is that the 50s are idealized for a number of reasons, not all of them illegitimate.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"Huh, I wonder why Americans don't wax nostalgic about the 1970s, a decade where their president was impeached, they lost a major war, and they suffered from the worst recession since the great depression."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Three racist quotes, posted by a foreign neoliberal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If he really does remember SJWs as a thing in 2005 then it probably did start here.

• Locked thread