Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, it really depends on how sharp you need to turn, right at a stop sign (on right hand drive roads) is going to be a sharper turn than left. Though honestly I turn like Jr. said and I'm thinking more about when I was first starting and the mechanical process of coming off of a stop and working the clutch took me time and concentration.

Instructional videos are good, I also personally recommend Proficient Motorcycling, which was a great overview, covered everything in my learner's permit, and (along with this forum) helped keep me safe when all my riding friend's were helmet-hating cruiser rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hatbadger posted:

So I've done a bit of research based off some of the advice over the last few days, but I still can't figure it out. If I want a step down from mx boots am I looking at adventure or racing boots? I'd all but decided on the Sidi Adventure before I questioned the protection levels of racing boots.

edited to add these are for road use so off road features aren't important, just max protection.

I'd run a set of Forma Terrain TXs.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Jr. posted:

I took a right turn really wide because I think I was either too close to the stop sign itself, or maybe I didn't lean in far enough to turn.
I'll guess with 99% certainty that you weren't "looking where you want to go". They teach this in the MSF (figure 8 is nearly impossible to do otherwise) and it's super, super important. You can practice this in your car by going into an empty parking lot, locking your eyes on some random object off in the distance (something that you have to turn your head to see), and don't take your eyes off it. You'll notice that you unconsciously will drive towards that object. You were probably looking at the outside curb when you crashed, and rode yourself right into it. Here's a really extreme example:

This is on a track, but the exact same rules apply. Look at the direction of her head. She's not looking at the turn itself, she's looking where she wants to go - the exit of the turn. Another thing that people tend to do is look at the ground while turning. Aside from not helping you go where you want to, looking at the ground makes it feel like you're going way faster than you actually are, which isn't good for your nerves.

Practice looking where you want to go, daily. It's one of the most important skills you can have.

quote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but are you turning the handlebars while stopped? You want to get them ready before you go or by the time you get done with letting the clutch out from a stop whoops you're going straight on what should be a turn.
The only time I really do this is for super sharp turns. You shouldn't need to do it most of the time, and it could actually be detrimental to a new rider who isn't confident on the throttle/clutch, because if you dump the clutch or freak out on the throttle, having your bars turned could to send you into the curb. It's kind of a muscle memory thing though. You'll find out what you're comfortable with once you have more seat time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TBH all the things I used to think were hard and fast rules are more like stern guidelines so you don't gently caress up too badly and when you know what you're doing you can take that poo poo with a grain of salt...

...except looking where you want to go. Nobody who ever rode a bike in the history of man was exempt from that.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

...except looking where you want to go. Nobody who ever rode a bike in the history of man was exempt from that.

This. All the time forever.

Look where you want to go, it applies to any vehicle at speed. in most cases the vehicle is much more capable than you think it is.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

-Inu- posted:

I'll guess with 99% certainty that you weren't "looking where you want to go". They teach this in the MSF (figure 8 is nearly impossible to do otherwise) and it's super, super important. You can practice this in your car by going into an empty parking lot, locking your eyes on some random object off in the distance (something that you have to turn your head to see), and don't take your eyes off it. You'll notice that you unconsciously will drive towards that object. You were probably looking at the outside curb when you crashed, and rode yourself right into it. Here's a really extreme example:

This is on a track, but the exact same rules apply. Look at the direction of her head. She's not looking at the turn itself, she's looking where she wants to go - the exit of the turn. Another thing that people tend to do is look at the ground while turning. Aside from not helping you go where you want to, looking at the ground makes it feel like you're going way faster than you actually are, which isn't good for your nerves.

Practice looking where you want to go, daily. It's one of the most important skills you can have.
The only time I really do this is for super sharp turns. You shouldn't need to do it most of the time, and it could actually be detrimental to a new rider who isn't confident on the throttle/clutch, because if you dump the clutch or freak out on the throttle, having your bars turned could to send you into the curb. It's kind of a muscle memory thing though. You'll find out what you're comfortable with once you have more seat time.

Thanks all y'all, very much, for your advice both about the braking thing and the turns. -Inu- especially, I remember seeing a gas meter when I started thinking the turn was going bad and sort of focusing on it a little too hard. It's a bad habit I have in archery, too. I'm taking the bike out again this weekend, and I'm going to be eyes-on-endpoint like a laser.

Being that it's an old bike, "this weekend" is due to fixing up a wompy turn signal (ate fuses, shut off the entire instrumentation illumination circuit). Turns out the LED headlight I installed to bring the wattage draw to something reasonable only barely cleared the turn signal mount threading, so both positive-lead wires tore their insulation open and completed their circuit on the headlight's heatsink. :derp:

A vise, angle grinder, bullet connectors and a rootbeer later, good as new. I can wrench on just about anything, but the riding part...

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I had to practice right hand turns from a stop after the MSF BRC. Looking where you want to go is the big thing (as others have said). What you are describing tripped me up a bit, but I also ran into issues where I would have to navigate multiple potholes/manhole covers within a sharp right hand turn, and it got a little tricky for me.

I ended up setting up a mini training course in a parking lot. I'd line up along the line for one parking space, and then I'd force myself to make a right turn into the perpendicular line to the right. By moving my bike around I could simulate different angles and tightness of turns. Then I added paper plates (held down by rocks) that would simulate potholes and other obstacles to avoid. It helped me a lot with learning to avoid looking at the obstacles while still being aware of where they were. It helps a lot for both navigating turns from a stop and also for other obstacles that complicate the maneuver.

Then I bought a sumo and potholes stopped mattering and riding because easy mode.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Fishvilla posted:

snip

Then I bought a sumo

I thought you meant one of these

until I realized you meant supermoto.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Fishvilla posted:

I had to practice right hand turns from a stop after the MSF BRC.
It's not uncommon to be less comfortable with right hand turns, due to the throttle being on that side.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My instructor pointed that out, and reminded us a pull with the left is the same as a push with the right.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Fanelien posted:

This. All the time forever.

Look where you want to go, it applies to any vehicle at speed. in most cases the vehicle is much more capable than you think it is.

Along with this, never target fixate.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keket posted:

Along with this, never target fixate.

Seriously. I was railing some turns pretty hard on my third Daytona 675, when I target-fixated pretty good on this yellow Porsche. What a disaster.

Also there was gravel?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yammie has now hit a station object and a car head on. He now needs to rear end a car and the cycle will be complete.

Don't be like Yammie.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Seriously. I was railing some turns pretty hard on my third Daytona 675, when I target-fixated pretty good on this yellow Porsche. What a disaster.

Also there was gravel?

What was the ambient temperature relative to your tires?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Yammie has now hit a station object and a car head on. He now needs to rear end a car and the cycle will be complete.

Don't be like Yammie.

No, the cycle is not complete until he buys a Lamborghini.
And gets a tattoo of a panther

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That's dark.

Kinda like the ink of a backpanther tattoo.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Alright! I bought a ninja 500 yesterday, instead of the newbikes and the ducati I went to see. Absolutely lovely. They were kind enough to deliver it to my house, and I spent 6 hours yesterday getting comfortable on the bike on the street. Started off stalling at stopsigns in 25mph neighborhoods in front of attractive women doing yardwork, finished comfortably cruising at 60mph down a highway. Absolutely amazing. I have no idea how I would've done any of this without the MSF too, so hurray for that.

So, my question: 500 twin, what rpm should I be shooting for just for cruising around? I'm finding 4500 seems natural, not buzzy but still has enough pull in that gear to go if I need to, but I'm coming from 4-banger econocars where it's pretty normal to sit at or under 2 grand most of the time.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

With motorcycles, you'll always be turning at higher RPM, especially if the engine is extra small. My GN125 cruises at 7-8000 RPM (Redline is 10000). The bigger the engine, the more safe it is to just leave it in a higher gear, since bigger engines tend to have much better roll-on power.

You can adjust it simply by downshifting, if you feel like you are suddenly going to need extra power. Like, you're on the highway, in the middle lane, and there's a guy in the right lane slightly ahead of you, and there's a moderately busy entrance ramp coming up. (Extra credit: the guy's front driver's side window is destroyed and he has a black garbage bag duct taped over it)

If you want to lower the RPMs, you can do that by changing the gearing, if your bike is chain drive. By putting a larger drive sprocket on the engine (or a smaller driven sprocket, on the rear wheel) the gearing will become more spaced out—longer. This is good if you do a lot of highway riding and feel like you already have more than enough power.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'll wait until after the track day on the 13th, but my 4 week old 300 is already on life support. Just not comfortable with the power reserve while on the freeway I need to ride to commute. A ninja 650 abs/krt will replace the ninja 300 abs/krt.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Slide Hammer posted:

With motorcycles, you'll always be turning at higher RPM, especially if the engine is extra small. My GN125 cruises at 7-8000 RPM (Redline is 10000). The bigger the engine, the more safe it is to just leave it in a higher gear, since bigger engines tend to have much better roll-on power.

You can adjust it simply by downshifting, if you feel like you are suddenly going to need extra power. Like, you're on the highway, in the middle lane, and there's a guy in the right lane slightly ahead of you, and there's a moderately busy entrance ramp coming up. (Extra credit: the guy's front driver's side window is destroyed and he has a black garbage bag duct taped over it)

If you want to lower the RPMs, you can do that by changing the gearing, if your bike is chain drive. By putting a larger drive sprocket on the engine (or a smaller driven sprocket, on the rear wheel) the gearing will become more spaced out—longer. This is good if you do a lot of highway riding and feel like you already have more than enough power.

oh no, i'm good with the RPMs, I just didn't know if that was optimal in terms of engine wear, fuel efficiency, etc. I can definitely get out of my own way faster than my car even in 5th or 6th, which is neat.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Ohhhh, in that case, you might want to consult a Ninja 500 forum specifically; they'd know the nitty-gritty of that engine best.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ride below the rev limiter.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

builds character posted:

that's no fun.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

I'll wait until after the track day on the 13th, but my 4 week old 300 is already on life support. Just not comfortable with the power reserve while on the freeway I need to ride to commute. A ninja 650 abs/krt will replace the ninja 300 abs/krt.

I dunno, I commuted 50 miles one way on my 300, and it was ok. Just go 75 and you will be fine.

spouse posted:

that's no fun.

Alternatively, ride at 5k, drop a gear, see how it feels and sounds, then go up a couple gears and see how that feels. You'll quickly develop a feel for what's good. Nobody here is likely to know what specific rpm number is good in what conditions for a specific bike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

spouse posted:

oh no, i'm good with the RPMs, I just didn't know if that was optimal in terms of engine wear, fuel efficiency, etc. I can definitely get out of my own way faster than my car even in 5th or 6th, which is neat.
Whatever feels natural is generally fine. You don't want to ride so low in the rev range that the bike lugs when you get on the gas, but not so high that you're right in the middle of the powerband (unless situationally appropriate, ofc). 4,500 sounds about right.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

pokie posted:

I dunno, I commuted 50 miles one way on my 300, and it was ok. Just go 75 and you will be fine.
Traffic here does 80, and the carpool lane does 85-90. I don't like not being able to just take off if needed.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

Traffic here does 80, and the carpool lane does 85-90. I don't like not being able to just take off if needed.

I just stuck to the right lane.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I did a year and a half of my only vehicle being a Ninja 250 (see prof pic), in ATL, where people will casually cruise at 90-100mph+ in the left lane. Was it doable? Sure. Would I ever recommend it to someone else? I wouldn't shun someone for doing it, but I wouldn't actively suggest it either, especially if you're already having doubts. I mean, even on my R6 I never go more than 9 over (so between 69-74mph) and even if I'm cruising one lane from the right, people pass me on both sides like I'm standing still.

The issue with the right lane is that it's actually one of the more dangerous lanes. People tend to show no remorse for others when it comes to potentially missing or taking the wrong exit. There's also shoulder debris, and people merging from on ramps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Exactly. Right lane is dangerous, and the others are frustratingly fast. Upgrade isn't that expensive is absolute terms, and I was already planning on doing it next year. Shrug.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

Also, hit the rev limiter/redline once per ride. It's good for the engine.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Also, hit the rev limiter/redline once per ride. It's good for the engine.

Also bounce off the rev limiter in top gear. It's good for the soul.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Fanelien posted:

Also bounce off the rev limiter in top gear. It's good for the soul.

Depending on the bike - a good way to free your soul!

:downsrim:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

I went on the freeway yesterday for the first time when it was lightly trafficked and open. That was the most intense thing I've done in years... but it was also awesome. It was the first time I've ever thought "I am a blob of meat inside the tanned hide of another animal, and I will become a more dispersed blob of meat if I gently caress this up".

Bikes are neat.

I already ordered a slip-on.

This is gonna be a good way to burn money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:homebrew:

Don't keep track of it. Do keep track of the work you do to the bike, but throw out the receipts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One you start riding every day, commuting, etc, the costs become necessities , not luxuries. This is especially true if you live anywhere other than an urban area and, until you got the bike, you didn't have a second vehicle.

So you see, I NEEDED to buy those 500 dollar saddlebags. I mean I forgot what they cost.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

One you start riding every day, commuting, etc, the costs become necessities , not luxuries. This is especially true if you live anywhere other than an urban area and, until you got the bike, you didn't have a second vehicle.

So you see, I NEEDED to buy those 500 dollar saddlebags. I mean, I forgot what they cost.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I worked at Cycle Gear for 3 years and spent $20,000 there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You should try riding both in the dirt and a track day. I would guess that one or the other (maybe both) will really click for you and either one will make you a better every day rider. Also, get a neck brace. Either atlas or leatt are the big two.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

I worked at Cycle Gear for 3 years and spent $20,000 there.

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's just the deposit on the Ben Spies suit.