Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
cold chat: I’ve found that putting a wind-breaker layer on the outside helps much better than using one as a liner. It might look a little goofy, but using your outer rain gear when it’s dry-but-chilly helps keep in a bubble of warmth and can keep you from getting the shivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

The only thing that bike screams is "you should have bought a Scrambler"

Speaking of Scramblers, as a noob for offroading but not road-riding, am I crazy for being drawn to the Triumph 1200 XE?

I test-rode one on some fire-roads at the Touratech Rally last week and really enjoyed it. Like left me with a mood boost for at least 2 hours. Then rode it again the next day to make sure it wasn’t a fluke - wasn’t.

I’ve taken a dirt class but am a noob to off-road riding. At 41, I don’t think I’m going to be starting a career in motocross, but doing fireroads and some of the WA BDR would be more my speed.

Currently I have a KLR that’s set up for road-use and an R1200R, and the Triumph has me considering selling both and going to it as a single bike. I feel like good-sense is to off-road’ify the KLR in steps to see if it will be able to balance what I’d be looking for in limited off-roading without sacrificing it being good for a roadtrip.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Some shops will let you buy a helmet and take it home to wear for several hours for a good test-fit, so long as you leave all the tags/stickers on and don’t ride with it at all. I recommended finding a shop like that and availing them of the service. The Cycle Gear shops near me allow this, and it’s saved me a bunch of money from helmets that started developing a hot-spot on my long-oval noggin around hour 2.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I like the Tu250x as a starter bike, except the rear drum.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I keep my phone in my jacket so in the event of a crash my phone isn’t smashed to pieces and/or 100’ down the side of a cliff. 99% of the time, I’m just riding in a big circle, so I don’t need navigation.

Came to say exactly this. In my mind, if you need navigation, it’s worth springing for a GPS device on a handlebar Ram mount and leave your phone in your inner jacket pocket. If your phone gets damaged there, you’re probably in no shape to use it anyway.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Pretty sure that's how Strife ended up a cyborg

That’s the clone; Cable is the cyborg.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Honda sees what’s happening with their 125s, especially the Trail, and figures the US market is good for another small displacement town bike that conforms closer to norms for frame size and shift-pattern.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
https://www.pure-gas.org

Ethanol free gas lasts many months without breaking down. I know not everyone has a conveniently close station for regular fill-ups, but for a lot of people, one trip and a 5-gallon jug would see you through a winter’s worth of occasional rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

replaced the battery and air filter, changed the oil, tightened the chain to the specified amount of slack, then completely forgot to use the chain lube i bought

rode 25 miles of winding mountain gravel roads anyway. first ride this spring. fuckin rules. hope my chain is ok

o/x-ring (which is to say, 'most') chains have lubricants sealed within the rings and cleaning and oiling/greasing done by the user is more for the benefit of the sprockets and cutting down on chain noise. Lube it when you can, it should be fine.