Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It is very bad. Fun bike, but the vibes are seriously insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Knee armor is also oftentimes adjustable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hatbadger posted:

So I've done a bit of research based off some of the advice over the last few days, but I still can't figure it out. If I want a step down from mx boots am I looking at adventure or racing boots? I'd all but decided on the Sidi Adventure before I questioned the protection levels of racing boots.

edited to add these are for road use so off road features aren't important, just max protection.

I'd run a set of Forma Terrain TXs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

spouse posted:

So, a big thanks to everyone in this and all the threads here. I just officially hit one month of having my own bike, 1st month of riding, 1700~ miles in, and only one drop (lost the front wheel pulling into a gravel driveway too fast), and one already lost license plate (motorcycles vibrate a lot more than I thought they would and threadlocker is your friend).

Corners that were terrifying on my first few days are now taken with ease, the bike feels like it's "mine" now and this being my first manual vehicle, I now shift without even thinking about it. I also know for any sort of hard/twisty riding I massively underspent on initial gear (except my jacket), but it all works perfectly for commuting.

I can feel myself climbing mount stupid on the dunning-kruger graph fast, but I'm trying to temper it knowing that I'm still a dumbdumb and overestimating my skill will get me in trouble fast. Either way, this thread is great, you guys are great, and I appreciate all the advice. :) Now to tempt myself daily browsing cycletrader, and try as best I can not to trade up to a poor lesson in risk management.

The most dangerous point is in 1-2 years, cause you've got enough skill to ride the bike fast but not enough to not do things that suddenly and dramatically exceed the limits of traction. Sounds like you might hit that point before 1-2 years, but you should still be cautious of it. Try and find a flat track or offroad school to play with if you want to see how the bike feels sliding around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Grind down the heads on the rivets on your chain and they should never break the chain press tool. I've had a cheap stockton tool chain press / riveter and for probably 5 years a now and at least a couple dozen chains, and it's never even stressed the tool in the slightest.

a cute sea otter posted:

Yeah, I was looking for a rivet, too, but didn't see one. I'll look more closlier, but it is probably factory. I'm moving out of the UK in a few months and selling off everything, so I'd rather not go out and buy another £50 tool. Reckon a shop can do it quickly for £10 if I give them the right link?

Just pay the shop to do it if you're not gonna buy the tools, it's sort of a pain in the rear end if you don't have the ability to break the chain after breaking the front sprocket loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mewse posted:

It’s like DRM but on motorcycles *starts writing a patent*

Yeah this is absolutely correct. They don't flash them until they're sold, it starts the warranty process, does a bunch of other poo poo too. But it should never be a problem unless your dealership is stocked my morons so it's a constant problem.