Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm the thick orange bar spanning all gears, and I'm fuckin' with your mind

The first gear upshift point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For just about any activity, training pays off infinitely better than equipment upgrades.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're in the US a number of places have an online accident reporting setup for calling in minor accidents where everyone could drive away and nobody was severely injured. You can probably also open a police report over the phone with the information you have.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oh and make sure your pressures are right.

Every day before you get on, and multiple times if you're doing a long ride in a single day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

Well I've hit a year of riding now. Time to upgrade from my 100hp beginner 600 to something bigger. Should have known I was going to outgrow this bike so quickly.

You should get this to sate your desires.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I managed to get out on what may be the last good day in the DC area. This season I didn't ride as much as last only about 300 miles the whole summer due to some conflicts that ate my weekends and bad luck on weather. Last year I did about the same but it was all August through early November. I'll have one more short ride to a shop next month to get the annual inspection renewed and then fluids change and onto the stands and battery tender it goes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Glad you're doing better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was hoping for some more unseasonably warm days but it looks like that well has run dry so it's time to hibernate. We'll get back out in the spring.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

opengl posted:

Love that color. Almost bought one but it was a total mess.

Was that the one from a few weeks ago that had all the locks drilled out and gave every indication of being stolen yet somehow the seller had a title?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Check your tire pressure.

Someone advised me to do it every time I'd been off the bike more than a half hour and while I don't go to that length, every time I leave the house has been a good interval so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My cb300r does not. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had my first drop today. I was leaving a parking lot, cut the corner sharp enough for the back tire to hit the curb, and didn't get my right foot down quickly enough. Bike didn't fall on me and didn't take any serious damage; the fall guards got scuffed a bit and the backside of the right mirror has some scratches. I didn't get hurt either besides pride.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Did the curb itself lever the rear tire off the ground or something, or was it more a case of the jarring event causing you to panic brake mid-turn which you could've maybe rode out?

I was going slowly enough at the pullout that it completely stopped the bike and I didn't realize what was happening quickly enough to do anything effective. Going wider or more power would both have probably kept me up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

*rode my new bike

Thank you! Excellent advice

What do you think about going out at night, sooner than drunk drivers but after the traffic has died down? Like 10:00. There are more likely to be empty grocery store parking lots at that time as well.

Harder to see potholes and gravel in poor light plus you have to get there and back in darkness.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slipping the clutch on bikes is much more of a thing you do regularly than it is in a manual transmission car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes you should not be rolling around on a shut throttle at any point, it makes the bike handle like rear end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why would you slow down for the dog first :psyduck:

Taunt it so it's good and angry when the mailman shows up later, I guess. :cheerdoge:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

I PASSED

:toot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Do not, repeat DO NOT ride a SEA shitbike where fourth/fifth loops back around to first

Someone actually makes that? Geez.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

mI just want confirmation/validation that it's a motorcycle thing.

It's not solely a Motorcycle Thing, drivers pull out in front of other cars all the time. But it has more dire consequences for bikers so you have to be more ready for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I haven't washed my textiles since I got them in summer 2021 but I do air them out generously between uses and they don't smell bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got a set of paddock stands and put it up on the rear one for oil changes and chain maintenance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I guess what I call front you call rear; either way, I want someone to see my bike before they turn into the spot. Parking stalls in SF are pretty narrow. If another bike wants to squeeze in, they are more than welcome, but yeah, thunderdome. On the street though yeah wheel touching the curb.

Maybe this is only SF? This space in between cars is a free and legal spot for motorcycles and where I usually end up parking. No one has hit my bike so far, but I also street park fairly infrequently.

That privilege is not universal at all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IronDoge posted:

Passed the BRC today and got my license!

:cheerdoge:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got out for the first time in a couple of weeks today, in the near 100 degree heat. This is the first time I've really sweated up my gear.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Learn how to pay attention without needing to be shocked into doing it, I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're in the newbie thread and contemplating carbs, isn't the right answer typically "factory setup"?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Went out for about four hours today. Temperature was mid/upper 50s, which is a bit cooler than I usually do but I put on long johns underneath my perfed textiles and stayed warm enough even with some strong breezes and not much sun. I had a balaclava in the bag if the wind was too much but chapstick was all I needed with the helmet vents closed. Looks like I'm right at 1200 miles since I started riding in August 2021. I'll probably get one or two more good riding days before I get the annual inspection in November and hang it up for the winter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have a stabilized gas can I've been using to fill it up with for the last few rides and put it on paddock stands and a battery tender under a cover when I think I"m done. I take the cover off on nice days to let it air out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

I’m currently wondering about your life choices that you’ve had multiple cars catch fire on you and I’ve had none. No judgment. Just … wonder.

Today I realized that the little yellow light that appears in the side mirror of some cars is not a turn signal indicating that they are about to come into my lane as I’m passing them, but an external lateral proximity sensor. I wonder whether it alerts the driver.

Usually they just light up when they detect something but most of them sound a tone if the turn signal in that direction engages and there's something in the detection volume. A few will beep if the steering wheel deflects more than a few degrees towards something it detects even with no signal activation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Still posting in the newbie thread after three years because I'm still new.

Looks like the temperature is going to stay down so I'm calling it for my third summer of riding. I'm up to about 1400 lifetime miles, 400 of them this summer. I didn't get out quite as much as I'd hoped to due to illness, travel, and rainy weekends but still made it out a bit more than last year. I still don't feel confident enough to go out on the 55mph highways in my area yet (seeing a pallet fly off a truck and crash onto the road on two separate occasions while in my car really does a number on my feeling of safety on the bike) but I'm doing the 50mph roads with stoplights. I still prefer the 35-45 mph limit roads through the wooded areas in my suburban area.

I think I finally internalized countersteering this summer. It clicked for me late last year but I backslid in the off season and it took a few rides to get back to where I was, but I hope I had enough time in the seat this year to make it stick.

Gear is still in good shape. Helmet is three years old and has some scuffs but still sound, gloves are still holding together, boots still look brand new. I sweated up my pants and jacket a few times this year and will take them to the cleaner in the coming weeks.

I think next year I'd like to ride in more built up areas a bit - staying off highways means it takes forever to get into DC itself but Arlington and Alexandria are both a little easier to get to and I have some other smaller downtowns I've been riding around as well. I feel like the little 300 still has a lot to teach me; a lot of riders would have probably traded in for something bigger by now. Cold weather gear would probably let me squeeze out another month or so of riding every year but the early sundowns of late autumn limit how much benefit I'd really see from it.

Rest easy, friend. We'll be back out in four or five months!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's getting close to warm enough to begin my fourth riding season soon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Today would have been an excellent start to the season but this weekend was already packed and next weekend is rain, then I'm out of town. April is when I'll get started again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MSPain posted:

i need to see this thing

http://motogem.us

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was going to bring the bike out of hibernation today but while changing the oil I broke off one of the oil filter cover bolts after draining the oil and replacing the filter and gasket. Part #20 in the bottom left corner of this diagram, one of the lower two bolts of the four holding it on: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2020/cb300ra/right-crankcase-cover

The bolt is broken off just about flush with the crankcase cover after I remove the filter cover - it sticks up about half a thread, not enough to grab with anything I have so I'm going to have to get some help to remove it given my consistent failure to remove similar breaks bolts without damaging everything. While I figure that out and run down a replacement bolt, is it going to cause any issues as long as I don't start it up?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It'll be fine if you don't start it yeah, just don't fill it with oil until you've fixed it

Awesome, thanks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

T Zero posted:

I broke the same bolt on my CBR last year. I'd swear those things are made of Play-Doh. Fortunately they're easy enough to drill out without damaging the threads.

It seems pretty common from looking at the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It'll be fine if you don't start it yeah, just don't fill it with oil until you've fixed it

Fixed and filled with oil, we're back up and running though it's too late in the day to even start riding. Weather is trash but next Sunday should be good to begin riding about a month later than I'd hoped to this year.