Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Garrand posted:

I know it's kind of a vague question but I do appreciate any thoughts on this.

A C50 is a tad heavy but I've seen cruisers that size recommended as being O.K. for a first bike, it's too heavy to be a really great first bike but the throttle response is reasonable enough, and the course can help get you past the very first part of 'I literally don't know what I'm doing and I've dropped the bike in a parking lot'. I used to own a M50 (same bike) and come to think of it I never actually dropped it. Heaviest bike I owned though, in fact owning it convinced me I wanted lighter bikes in the future. But OTOH you can slap a full windshield and some bags on it and take it on any freeway in the the U.S.A. so it's not bad as your only form of motorized transportation. Good luck!

Where do you live? If you ride a bike everywhere I'm assuming it's a in a city; I bet there's goons around and some people have bikes they don't mind letting learners ride.

Fake Edit: Fuel and injected and shaft driven too: so if you get another bike later please remember that chain lube is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but are you turning the handlebars while stopped? You want to get them ready before you go or by the time you get done with letting the clutch out from a stop whoops you're going straight on what should be a turn.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, it really depends on how sharp you need to turn, right at a stop sign (on right hand drive roads) is going to be a sharper turn than left. Though honestly I turn like Jr. said and I'm thinking more about when I was first starting and the mechanical process of coming off of a stop and working the clutch took me time and concentration.

Instructional videos are good, I also personally recommend Proficient Motorcycling, which was a great overview, covered everything in my learner's permit, and (along with this forum) helped keep me safe when all my riding friend's were helmet-hating cruiser rides.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One you start riding every day, commuting, etc, the costs become necessities , not luxuries. This is especially true if you live anywhere other than an urban area and, until you got the bike, you didn't have a second vehicle.

So you see, I NEEDED to buy those 500 dollar saddlebags. I mean I forgot what they cost.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

One you start riding every day, commuting, etc, the costs become necessities , not luxuries. This is especially true if you live anywhere other than an urban area and, until you got the bike, you didn't have a second vehicle.

So you see, I NEEDED to buy those 500 dollar saddlebags. I mean, I forgot what they cost.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't go by when they were put on, they can sit in a shelf for years before that. The manufacturing date is on the tire. This guy seems to describe it:

https://youtu.be/JM37mo9p90k

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My mechanic called DID the least expensive of the good chains, so that's what I go with. Glad to hear you like them.

Regarding rotors, I usually change them every other time I change the pads? So while it may be costly you shouldn't have to do it all that often.

Regardless Spouse, you're doing the right thing with this maintenance, so don't get discouraged.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does this thread not like cramp busters? I had one years ago but lost it and never intend to super slab for 8+ hours again. Still, if you plan is to slowly fall asleep on a bike it helps.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, a crampbuster. They're like ten bucks. For me at least there's always been enough grip space to not use it if you don't want to.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also just wear a jacket and riding pants over my clothes, which are business casuals aka dress slacks and button down shirt. I keep the dress shoes at work.

The biggest issue I've found is that "good enough" rain protection changes when you're riding to work compared to around town/for pleasure.

Edit- oh, and that high vis old man body suit is especially designed to not wrinkle a suit. What are they called? Aerostitch roadcrafters?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Am I reading that right that you didn't pass the practical test at first? What happened??

I had to do some fast talking getting my licence because, after doing everything right, I re-entered the DMV parking lot from the one way exit, bleh.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice, sounds like a cool instructor.

Edit - Slavvy what is the answer to #2? Is it not "brake?". And I mean based in what the question allows, try that little trick where you deload the front tire with a throttle blip? It didn't say poo poo like that at all, did it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 19, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm ATGATT in the deep South and it's getting old. Someone recommend me the absolute best in mesh/summer gear. I'll entertain almost any price to get this poo poo feeling light and breezy, it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Mostly talking jackets and pants.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all, I'll look into these and get through these next few months.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also:

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been toying with replacing my frumpy saddle bags with a single pillon bag, but OTOH no oppinion about my bike's appearance matters but mine and I only care sometimes. The very instant I can't fit a loaf of bread or jug of milk I'll be furious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:eyepop: Makes me wonder when's the last time I waxed my Forma Adventure Lows and told them that I love them?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honda shadow 750s are a bit heavy for a new rider imo but have very sedate throttles and look good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Progressive is where I get my insurance, after someone (irl) told me it was good for bikes. It was noticeably cheaper than geico, my previous.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My god, will I finally find more curves on my costal plain? Gonna find out!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

red flag similar to dragging your feet through the intersection

I was in the local Big City last weekend, eating at a sidewalk restaurant, and my teeth were on edge watching the same half dozen guys foot drag poorly tied combat boots as they wobbled through the intersection on m109s, harleys, etc. Same guys, over and over, just making the block.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 28, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

The Ninja 250/EX250 is a standard in spite of the looks. Incredibly comfy ergos.

This is something I want to reinforce because I can remember what I thought about motorcycles before I was riding them myself; I don't think ergonomics or riding characteristics are something the uninitiated think about; I know I didn't.

I was sure that I was going to ride cruisers until I owned a few different bikes. While I'm still sold on a lot of the aesthetic or, I dunno, cultural signifiers of cruisers, I'd have to be on something like a Triumph Boneville instead of a Harley Sporster or Honda Shadow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You've made me remeber that I've had my current gloves a couple years now and they leave my wrist exposed, I can do better. Can I get a recommendation for good summer gloves, with a "semi-gauntlet" (?). I have sender hands and fingers and normally wear a medium.

I need my hands and would spend more for the best protection, what are my options at, say, $100 and $200? Can they cost more?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those handroids look beefy as hell; if you own them do you think they breathe well, and do you put you jacket sleeve over the glove or into the gauntlet?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

The worst thing about the dr650 is the klr650.

This is brilliant and 100% true. I owned a dr650, borrowed a klr650, and literally tried to convince owner it was broken. I was SO SURE it shouldn't feel like that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just bought a 2020 DR650 and I can say with confidence there's no real reason not to go used; I don't regret my choice but it wasn't the most fiscally responsible choice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Recent algae talk in the crash thread has me wondering:

If you're going to have to take your bike through an impossibly slippery area, like say algae covered smooth stones with water too, what's the best way to have as little chance of dropping it?

Waddle the bike forward while on it? Or walking alongside it? Something else? Does it depend on the height and weight of the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I think waddling might have more chance of staying upright than walking alongside, but if you're alongside you can avoid going over yourself, just let go and stand clear.