Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Don't forget to watch all of the take no prisoners videos. That's the best way to learn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUmevSHFJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Keket posted:

Great OP duder, I'll try to write up some stuff about UK/EU laws and stuff soon.

This dude is the bomb for learning things about wobbling around on two wheels, an experianced motorcycle instructor from 'up north'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFm3honeTQo

This guy is good for learning fun stuff in the dirt.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

tl;dr. buy a dirtbike, be happy.

True story. It will also help you ride in conditions with limited traction. Like when you mess up on the road. In the interest of full disclosure I love riding in the dirt

Couple good movies: dust to glory (Netflix). Road (Netflix). Hitting the Apex. (Amazon). Fast/faster/etc.

Lyndon Poskitt's races to places is good on YouTube.

The televised (online) sports are motogp, supercross and motocross, hard enduro and trials.

Traction erag is a good online magazine.

E: a video on an American hero. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bsik8WllsI

builds character fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 21, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Several reasons, like:

Being able to wheelie over the kerb and around the SUV

Getting tyre-melting sideways in corners that make sportbike riders whinge about cold tyres and stiff suspension

Wanting to go faster than 60km/h without feeling like you're gonna die

60km/h. Hah! Pulling wheelies at 80+mph in the dirt.

hot sauce posted:

awesome thread Sagebrush

Has there ever been a moto media thread or master list with movies, shows, youtube channels etc? I thought about making one a while back but wasn't sure if there would be enough conversation to keep a thread alive.

I don't think so. I'd be curious to hear what everyone else watches. Don't forget the icon videos. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s

Or the reason that folks who ride scramblers are more about lifestyle than riding off-road. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtWRc5ikMs

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You should also look into used gear on advrider.com if you're anywhere near average middle aged American size. Then buy what you want when youve been riding for a while and know what that is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

Definitely! I just know I gotta go try those on in person since I fit pants weird.

I've got a reasonably muscular build for size/weight, but pretty square around the midsection, so a lot of super-euro cut stuff does not work at all. I'll take a look at that.

Just, FYI, you have to read everything on there in the voice of wilford brimley in his diabetus commercials.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
1. Don't get anything that looks like a dirt bike or a sumo because it will get stolen.

2. Why not take the 59th street bridge (they have a carpool lane in the morning on the upper level and you can split through all the nonsense to get to the FDR) and then go down the FDR? Never hurts to avoid some tolls and the parts of that commute that would be bad, you can split through.

3. If you want a mechanic to look at a bike, speed motorcycle is supposedly the best in the city. The super angry guy at triboro is a jerk but is apparently also a good mechanic. I don't really think it'd be worth it to use him but I do my own wrenching.

4. Bikes are expensive here. When you figure out what you want for your next bike, expand the range a little bit and look at NJ and outside the city as well. You can rent one of those big white vans that production companies use for a couple hundred bucks to go pick it up and bring it back and that's often a lot cheaper than buying something in the city.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

The bike market is the wild west in terms of pricing. The guides are mere suggestions:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles
https://www.kbb.com/othervehicles/
Generally pick something you think you want to ride and go find the cheapest/most mechanically sound one you can find. 2016, looks clapped out and has a whole boatload of "go fast" parts on it and almost no miles, look at it but be wary. The same model 2013 bone stock and just a few scuffs here and there, receipts for the work done such as oil changes and tires, but has some miles, definite consideration.

I'm not sure you can fit the bike into your CRV standing mostly up. You can't just lay a bike on it's side, fluids will leak all over, and not just the gasoline. If you have a hitch receiver, you can get a motorcycle specific trailer from U-haul for 25$ for the day or a 4"x7" open utility trailer for 15$ (in Texas at least).

Agreed - you need a hitch for a crv. If you have a dirt bike you can use a hitch carrier, but for the bikes you're looking at, just rent a motorcycle trailer from uhaul.

Just post the bikes you're thinking about here. Remember there's a NYC premium.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dick Burglar posted:

Help.

I don't have the disposable income to pay for a bike, gear, and insurance/tags.

I CAN'T HELP THAT I WANT IT :qq:

I think lurking on advrider is probably the best way to get cheap gear. Learn to wrench so you can buy a super cheap broken bike and then save while you're doing all that for insurance/tags.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can still hear sirens, horns and revving engines through ear plugs as well or better than you can in a car.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

Thanks for your advice :) I don't think I can anchor anything other than, yeah, a lightpole or the like, but I figure a decent disk lock and a big hardened chain will be enough to deter most thieves, and if it gets stolen, I'm covered.

That's kind of a relief. I don't know what bike thieves look for, I know it's no supersport, so I didn't expect to have to protect it from flipper chop shop type thieves, but my primary focus was keeping people from trying to steal it for themselves, or joyride or sit on it (punk neighbor latchkey apartment kids/teens).

I'm just peepants excited to buy my first bike and while I'm sad I can't afford a place with a garage just yet, it's a better choice in the long run.

Just make sure you get a full cover and always cover it. That + a chain should cover you for everything other than determined thieves. And, of course, as has been said, full coverage insurance because really there's just nothing you can do vs. plasma cutter/angle grinder + 3 dudes with a van.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

another dumb noob question then, do i need to wait for it to cool down before covering, and if so, how long?

-Inu- posted:

Yes. Maybe 30 minutes or so? Otherwise your exhaust will burn right through the cover. I found that out the hard way when i first started riding.

It depends on your cover and your bike. I just cover mine right up and it's fine but there's a piece of plastic that sits between the cover and the bike and no spots where the header might touch.

pokie posted:

What is the advantage of covering a bike to deter thieves? So they don't spot candy from far away?

Depends a lot on who the thief is. If it's someone where you live/park and they see you getting on and off every day then you're screwed no matter what. If it's someone driving by to scope things out then they are generally not going to take the time to get out and look under the cover. Purely anecdotal, but here in the city, dual sports and dirt bikes are like crack and a friend always covered his dr650. One evening he left it uncovered and by morning it had been stolen. In fairness, another guy with a husaberg had it stolen despite it being under cover and chained to his building.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hatbadger posted:

These look a bit heavier than what I'm looking for and probably wouldn't fit my calves :/ I have super thin lady ankles as it is so fit with mens boots is already going to be a problem. Does that kind of protection make a tremendous amount of difference for city crashes (like with impact resistance)or are these designed for a more physical/outdoorsy type of riding? I'd like a bit more than ankle and heel protection but is there a mid point?

Thanks for the pants advice, I think I'll go for the dedicated riding option!

Here is the part where you make a choice about protection vs style. I think it's worth noting that I've made this choice and, while I joke about MX boots being the only real boot, for me that choice is both (damnit, weren't you listening about the MX boot and its perfection?). I mean, protection. If you look at serious riding boots, they're all basically the same, whether you're talking about boots for racing GP or boots for hare scrambles. They all lock your foot in place and then have a little hinge that limits torsion and bending both forward and back and that's attached to a pretty burly upper that firmly holds your shin and calf in place.

I think what happens with a less good boot, is that you don't have that limited range of motion. For example, you start to go down and your toe catches on the ground before your foot is off the peg and that gives you a lovely spiral fracture in your shin bone (connected to the foot bone, foot bone doesn't move because most boots protect just the foot ok which is still important, but cheaper boots are generally bad about protecting against twisting between foot and leg.

If I were differentiating between street and dirt it would only be to say that dirt is softer and with fewer drivers but more branches. Look at some of the nice street boots and they look like robocop's boots. Anyway, all of this is how you get ATGATT folks and I think given the risks that does make sense. But you have to make that choice for yourself. You should just be aware of what you're giving up when you make it. Ideally, any boot you get will have Ce2 certification but that's how you end up looking like spaceman spiff so you have to decide if the risk of degloving or spiral fractures or whatever is worth looking a certain way. And I don't mean to disparage the importance of looking good at all, just (again) to make the point that you should be aware of what you're giving up in exchange.

In closing, God bless America. Amen.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

Thanks for the thread! Finally convinced me to get off the SA lurk fence. I'm moving back to the states from the UK in a few months and have been riding a Yamaha YBR 125 since last June. I passed the road test here on the 125 in September, have been riding pretty much daily, taking the GF as a pillion, and taken a couple side lessons on a Gladius. I have many years of NYC driving under the belt and I'm planning on doing the BRC in New York for the test waiver when I get back, and looking into a second bike.

I'm pretty happy with my current seating position and want a reliable all-rounder that's good for some moderate weekend touring for sub-$3000. I like doing my own maintenance, but I haven't fallen in love with dealing with chains, so I've been looking at BMW R1100R's. It looks like a great bike, but it is heavy as gently caress compared to what I've been dealing with. Am I crazy to think I can handle that? I've read conflicting things about handling on heavier bikes - some saying balance gets easier because inertia etc. Thoughts?

Should mention that I do not currently have a beard, but can probably rock a Rudess wizard point if that would help.

Why not learn to love chains again and get something like a GS500?

e: even if you're doing your own maintenance on a BMW, all the parts are still way more expensive. And BMW engineers make ridiculous design decisions. It's a pain.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

Thanks for the tip! Is that something you've had to deal with? I've read about the insane amount of stuff that needs to be done to get to the clutch assy, and the various spline issues. Anything else? I think one of the techs in our building has an F-series something or other, I may ask if he knows anyone with a model that's close to the R.

Yes, but not with an R1100. Here is an example from the bike I had (a G650X) - in order to change the water pump seals, a wear item, you had to remove the left side case. To do that, you could just unbolt all the little bolts except one. That one required removing the swingarm to get at. So your process was to remove the header + exhaust, remove the tire, remove the swingarm, curse at the stupid tiny swiss cheese bolts they used on the right side of the swingarm, and then finally remove that last bolt. It should have been something that took, say, twenty minutes and instead it took approximately twenty hours. I loved that bike, but BMW engineers are unkind.

2k and you can just remove the front fairing. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/6099849295.html vs an SV650 for 2k which has double the miles and is five years older. https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/6102264447.html SV650 may well be the better bike but the GS500 is a good, cheap option.

e: if you want to go offroad too, why not something like a supermoto (or a versys) so you can figure out if you like dirt?

a cute sea otter posted:

I thought splitting was illegal in NY, do the cops just not care? I'm trying to get as much practise in here in the UK while I can.

I'm sure cops would say they cared if you asked them but my experience with cops in NYC is that they don't care at all unless it's a motorcycle checkpoint and then you had better hope you have all your ducks in a row or you're getting a ticket.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ride below the rev limiter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You should try riding both in the dirt and a track day. I would guess that one or the other (maybe both) will really click for you and either one will make you a better every day rider. Also, get a neck brace. Either atlas or leatt are the big two.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

heyyyyy ^ that's what you said to me. I bought that big fuckoff kryptonite chain and a disc lock for my ex500, and I have a cover for it, but to be honest there's a brand new FZ-09 right next to it with nothing but a thin bicycle cable (think walmart Bell accessories) tying it up, and a CBR-300F with absolutely nothing but I assume the fork lock, so I'm guessing I'm going to be ignored completely.

Newb question for content: I rode through the rain on my way back from the beach and got soaked to the bones today. Best way to dry leathers without ruining them? I'm just air drying now under a fan, and I figure I'll pick up some leather conditioner tomorrow.

Just don't use heat. If they're really soaked and you have a fan, I'd point the fan in the neck and leave it there, like those blowers they put under carpets. Then, just condition after dry.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

I did another training day, this time on an ER6N, this week and the instructor kept trying to get me to not cover the front brake, or to cover it with my index and middle finger. I've basically, sans any previous knowledge, gotten in the habit of doing this, but usually with just my ring and little finger.

Am I doing something stupid? I get that they don't want someone to accidentally pin the throttle when braking suddenly, so they teach releasing the throttle and pulling with the whole hand, but it seems to me that it's still very possible to get some inadvertent acceleration this way, and covering with index makes it even more likely, since you're pulling closer to the fulcrum of the lever and have to work harder. I've tried to put myself in the habit of rolling my hand forward and raising my elbow when I brake so that the lever rests further from the fingertip - moving from the first joint to the second - as I brake harder. Am I missing something here, or just go with what works?

They don't want you panicking and grabbing the bars when something bad happens and oh, oops, you grabbed all the front brake - enjoy your flight! But yeah, covering the front brake is fine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

I mean covering with the outer fingers rather than the inner.

Sorry, misread that.

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. Ideally it'd be nice to do one finger braking for which your index finger is a lot better than your pinky because it's stronger and generally has better motor control/finger feel. I also think one finger braking with index gives you a better hold on the bars if something does go wonky, but, again, this is one of those things that only really matters on the internet.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I'll check out the safety wiring, just to see :) The license plate was because I literally hand threaded the screw and wingnut and said "yeah, it'll be fine until I get home to threadlock it", and it came off somewhere on a 70mph freeway. I looped back but couldn't find it.

re: deals gap: I'm not just riding that road, but I'll definitely be doing it at least once. I'll try and make it for a weekday, as I'm told it's an absolute nightmare on the weekend.

and most motorcycles don't have pop-up headlights :c00lbutt:

I didn't know this. There's just one really wide one near my parents house out in the middle of nowhere that's never got people in it, and just joins three roads adjacent to farms. Seems clean, but I'll look out for the other ones around me :)

You should really go and take a racing class of some variety. I think you would enjoy it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I definitely plan on doing that and then track days once I get a bit more experience, but for now, I'm trying to save to buy a house, so I can't really put money into that sort of thing juuuust yet. Definitely on the list though.

This is really good and fun for when you have the cash budgeted. http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is all good advice, but I think it's important too that you realize that you have limited attention. When you start, you're spending the vast majority of your attention on things like "wtf, why is my gas pedal suddenly a brake and how come twisting my wrist is the gas and also there's a brake on that hand and which one do I use?" Just keep practicing in a safe place and soon enough all those things will become second nature and you can spend your attention on avoiding other cars and doing wheelies for kids. Also, you know, taking the advice folks are giving.

Your dad is just scared because he loves you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Why would you not buy this one instead?
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6168049701.html

Been listed for a week so you know they're not super hot/in demand. 22k fewer miles, same price.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I don't think a 650 is slow (I have a 500, which I also don't think is slow), and I don't really care what others say, this is easily the fastest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's been like a love affair ever since I got it. I think the bigger thing is that I started my search wanting an SV650, which is a bit faster (20 more hp, 15 more torque, higher top speed, faster 0-60, wider tires, etc), but when I sat on one it just didn't fit me, and the ninja oddly did. So I got this bike because it was cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and I also want to learn how to work on it entirely myself, so a cheap bike I'm not scared to make mistakes on is ideal. I also wisely listened to the frugal side of me and bought the used bike for cash instead of financing a new one. So now it feels like a compromise even though it 100% fits my needs.

As for they, I'm primarily speaking about reviews and forums and the like. I couldn't care less what "they" think, and I've gotten nothing but praise for picking a great starter bike from friends with years and years of riding experience, and not one rider in person has said anything negative about my choice, from guys on old metric cruisers to harleys to my buddy who tracks his s1000rr. The comment was more admiring the capabilities of faster machines I don't own yet, it's not a "wave my dick at people" thing. I just tend to quickly get deep into hobbies and want to spend money on them for the sake of being in it. When I built my first PC, I moved quickly from a $100 graphics card, to a $200 graphics card, to briefly 2x$400 graphics cards. The same logic in the back of my head applies with bikes, though it probably shouldn't. But I'm not gonna end up a smear on the pavement when I overdo it when overclocking, so I should probably relax and enjoy my ride, which so far, has been absolutely awesome.

Be like this, but with suspension and riding the most track days. Also, get a dirt bike because it's the most fun.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ijzer posted:

i'm going to look at a ninja 250 tomorrow. i've read through the wiki and adam glass's guide. it's a lot of stuff so i hope i don't miss something painful. make sure all the controls work, check the fluids, tires, brakes, tank, forks, and make sure it shifts properly. anything else big i need to make sure i hit?

otherwise, wish me luck.

It's probably a ridiculous amount for a real bike. From front to back:

1. Anything obviously messed up? Frame look straight?

2. Compress front forks. Any oil seepage?

3. Sit on it. Bars messed up? Lights and display all work?

4. Does the engine start and run smoothly from cold?

5. Does it shift smoothly up and down through the gears?

6. Does it stop?

7. Last but not least, check the oil and make sure it doesn't have any water in it.

Every bike will have some Po nonsense but what you really want to avoid is catastrophic nonsense.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just keeps coming back to this, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqnhGBUKA58
or bust

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
1. Take MSF. Bikes are awesome but some people hate good things and maybe you're one of those people.

2. Make your wife take MSF with you. You will both have more fun if you are riding together than if you are riding and she is passengering. Also, that way when if your bike brakes down you can steal hers to ride.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Butt Reactor posted:

Alright good stuff to pick over and rethink this. I'll keep looking and post anything similar to the 250 if I find something worthy.

Hello, friend. Have you heard the good word of the super moto motorcycle? Please watch this instructional video and enjoy your new-found life of spiritual freedom.
https://youtu.be/rOyGzw0RCxc

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PolishHero posted:

I've always felt that this classic was the most concise way to explain supermoto to people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

This is a good explanation.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slippery posted:

Really sorry for the delayed response but thanks very much for the insight! I will look into getting a pair of the smx5s. I gotta admit the big white logo turns me off a bit, not that I'm Cayce Pollard but I was hoping for just a black pair with maybe a subdued logo. Nice to know they're likely better boots though.

Good reference. Sadly, moto gear is the opposite and you just have to embrace it so hard that attain nirvana and realize MX gear is the one true style.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any subdued mx/dirt gear out there at all? Seems like the massive splashy logos have been standard since mx became a thing.

Klim stuff can be pretty toned down. Ex. https://www.atomic-moto.com/collections/jerseys I have a black and white fox jersey that says fox down one sleeve but it’s so stylized it’s tough to read.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have one of these and like it. It’s quite small and so far so good for just bike tires. Runs off the bike’s battery.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Oops. http://motopumps.com

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
SCREWDRIVER HANDS

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Another video telling you it's dumb to buy a 600cc supersport and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8LfoGY3rU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Have you actually run the numbers? I was under the impression that a cheap, used econobox is the least expensive mode of transport once things like chains and tires are factored in.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Based on my previous experience with cycle insurance, and paying for bike gas, yes I think it will be cheaper. Insurance for me on the bike is way cheaper than the truck, and gas is obviously like, triple the savings I'm getting now.
My budget at around $4-5k puts me in the lowest range of used cars. You won't find many Civics,Corollas, or Camry's at 4k. If you do, it's likely got over 150k, and a hair's breadth away from a broken transmission. Auto insurance will never get lower than $75 a month on one of these, and you're still looking at like only 18-20mpg. Knowing the whole time, you're driving a lovely 4k beater car that could drop it's trans at any moment.
A similarly priced cycle at 4-5k would be cheaper insurance, better on gas, and more reliable than a similarly priced beater car.
No one is selling a $5k Prius with less than 200kmi. Also, those batteries on early models (the only one I could afford) is ridiculously expensive to repair/replace once it inevitably fails.

So yeah, I've run the numbers, and I believe a bike would save me a significant amount of money over the outlandish monthly bills my 14mpg truck gets me right now.

Fair enough.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2012-kawasaki-ninja-650/6533724683.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2006-suzuki-sv650/6561717500.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2001-honda-xr650l/6564921513.html
https://delrio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-suzuki-gs500f-low-miles/6513714324.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-kawasaki-versys-blue-650/6558612234.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-kawasaki-versys-3250/6556617427.html
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2014-honda-nc700xe-motorcycle/6523853934.html

but I'd probably just buy this one because it sounds like cash is a real issue and you can get in and out of this at a price that works and you can figure out whether switching to a bike works for you. https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-kawasaki-ninja-250/6561772483.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, just go buy this. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3119867&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post483318034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

Lol what? How did you magically infer the author's race? I assumed he is a white bro given his bro-y condescending tone and montage of memes at the start. Yes, the content of his points is correct, but it's delivered in a way that is so condescending and empty of authority that I find it unlikely it would get people to engage with the content on a logical level.

Sorry you don’t like it? I hope that the delivery works for someone else who’s read all the well-reasoned points everyone makes in here and just needs to hear “bro, nah.”