Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Great OP!

I would like some critique of my decreasing radius line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-mdEHnVzdA&t=60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ess-vid posted:

How stupid is it to start on a Moto Guzzi V7 of some flavor?

Through some cursory googling, it seems hard to pinpoint the actual reliability/cost-to-own of these things, as opinions seem to swing wildly from "you'll never have to do more than change the oil" to "after 10 miles it will sound the Italian national anthem via the horn then promptly implode". I'm currently operating under the assumption that it's similar to a Sportster, being mostly reliable due to the age of the design, albeit with some "quirks" (due to selfsame age), and am curious how far off the mark that is.

For reference my MV Agusta's full service every 7.5k miles would be well over $1500 if I didn't do most of it myself. I imagine Moto Guzzi would be comparable.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

It's also important to realize that what you want now will be very different from what you want after a few months of riding. In this spirit it is best to get a cheap bike.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

karms posted:

You kinda got caught out with the little extra bend there, but that's fine. I sometimes have that too, and I always take it to mean I need to look further ahead and have a gameplan ready. In your instance it would mean I could turn in later as to not not come out on the cracked bit of road. Other way to go is to be comfortable turning in tighter in a corner so when you find yourself having to make a tighter turn than you anticipated, you can drop the bar no problem.

Thanks! I will keep working on it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

What is the generally agreed-upon procedure here? I'm assuming I should get gear first, and then buy a bike, but how do people generally do the insurance part?

Say I go to look at a bike I find on CL or CycleTrader, and decide to buy it. Do folks generally just ride the bike home sans-insurance, and then sort that out when they get home? Obviously I plan on shopping around a bit for insurance, as I've heard quotes can vary widely depending on which company you talk to, but I can't do that until I have the bike. Just making sure I'm not missing something obvious here.

Definitely have gear and isurance before riding. Budget $1000-1500 on gear. Don't cheap out on helmet and gloves. The rest in order of importance are boots, jacket, pants. All those little limb bones are good to keep nice and safe. When you buy a bike call your insurance of choice and get it there and then. It may be wise to scout out prices etc. in advance. If you have a clean record most starter bikes like Ninja 300 should be cheap to insure. An alternative to this is to bring a friend to ride your new purchase home.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

What the hell are you riding that costs you $2400 a year in insurance? :psyduck:

I pay bout as much for my brutale 800 :/. State Farm wanted $7000. No, that's not a typo.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

Gear setup review? New rider, R3 or ninja 300. Commuting, with some longer/curvy fun rides too. NorCal, won't be riding in rain or below 60*.

Helmet: Shoei RF-1200 https://www.revzilla.com/product/shoei-rf-1200-helmet-solid
Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-r-v2-air-jacket
Pants: Rev'it Sand 3 https://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-sand-3-pants
Gloves: Held Airstream II https://www.revzilla.com/product/held-airstream-ii-gloves
Boots: Alpinestars Roam 2 Air https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-roam-2-air-boots

Still need to check fit, but looks like they'll all be ok. Thoughts?

Seems fine to me except the gloves. Some of us think gloves are second only to helmet in importance. This is because hand injury may be difficult to recover from and may impede ability to work the most. In particular look for gloves with scaphoid protection.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am still relatively new so you may be better off getting answers from others. Mine are https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-druid-long-d1-gloves

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What is the advantage of covering a bike to deter thieves? So they don't spot candy from far away?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

We negotiated $3200 if its not sold by end of next week. Bike looks / sounds great in person. No ABS, some very slight scuffing behind the seat from a backpack, no other marks. Front tire is diablo something, rear is the pilot, rear looks very fresh. Commuter used for the miles. Good deal?
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/6052156814.html

It's ok. I wouldn't call it good. 3k would be more like it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

He didn't want to go below 3300. And to be fair, it really is in great condition. Plus Cali is a little more expensive to begin with.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/6061165421.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6068336930.html

Here are a couple near me.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I can't say about the UK. In the US I bought insurance same day as the bike. I just called them on the phone. It's a good idea to get quotes in advance and shop around assuming you know the model of the bike you are getting. Some insurers here charges 3 times more than others.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

That jacket is really nice. I've had my two A/S jackets for 8 years and 7 years, respectively, and they're still in great condition even after multiple crashes.

Just remember to condition it once a season, and every time it gets wet (after it dries). Otherwise the leather will lose its natural oils and start to crack. I destroyed a $200 pair of gloves by not conditioning them often enough.

Is there an effort post/video somewhere on how to do this properly. I think I need to do this...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Danke, -Inu-.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

A bunch of us Bay Area riders hang out on the slack channel. (registration server link, takes a little while https://afternoon-everglades-24325.herokuapp.com/)
I would not be averse to looking over any bikes you want to consider buying if you'd like. CSB is a great sport too.
The goon hive mind in general leans towards smaller cc bikes than the sv for a starter, but it's a sensible choice from all I hear. How much does your friend want for it?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

Sweet, I'll see about getting on Slack (I'm on slack most of the time for work anyway).

We haven't discussed price yet, but NadaGuides pegs it at about $2k average, but I'm not sure how that translates to Bay Area dollars. We'll see what he starts with; I work in sales, no stranger to negotiating; the guy's a friend though, so I'm not interested in going too low.

I should also mention, the bike's in Pleasant Hill (I live in Redwood City), so I may enlist him to ride the bike to my place. I'd rather not have my first ride on the thing be too long, or involve a bridge.

As to the size of the bike, I used to ride a Nighthawk 700 in college. Granted, that was 10 years ago, but the nighthawk was close to 100 lbs heavier. I don't anticipate any issues.

For what it's worth, I will also be happy to ride the bike home for you :D. I live in San Jose - if you want to try riding my WR250X, let me know - I don't mind letting most people ride it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

spouse posted:

dumb dumb question: you guys keep saying "mx boots". Does this mean like... racing boots, or motocross, what are you saying? What's the difference between that and say, these cortechs? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vice-wp-riding-shoes

First link when I google MX boots: https://www.revzilla.com/motocross-boots

Basically stiffer boots with more protection, popular with off-road riders. Not great for sports bikes due to lower flexibility/sensitivity.

The boots your linked provide next to none protection from what I can see. I wouldn't wear those.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

It's probably best for you to watch some instructional videos. I am still somewhat new, so take what follows with a grain of salt.

There is no practical difference between taking a turn from a stop than taking one in a curve for me. Get going straight, turn hard slightly later than feels natural. If you start with your bars already turned you will tend to go narrow. It may help to not let the clutch out fully if the bike is going too fast, but that doesn't sound like an issue for your bike.

There are two ways to come to a stop. Brake, come to a stop, shift rapidly through the gears to 1st. This is what I did when just learning.
But it's preferable to shift down as you are approaching a stop. Having the engine in lower gear helps with braking. This way you are in 1st already when you stop and can ride off right away if needed.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

I'll wait until after the track day on the 13th, but my 4 week old 300 is already on life support. Just not comfortable with the power reserve while on the freeway I need to ride to commute. A ninja 650 abs/krt will replace the ninja 300 abs/krt.

I dunno, I commuted 50 miles one way on my 300, and it was ok. Just go 75 and you will be fine.

spouse posted:

that's no fun.

Alternatively, ride at 5k, drop a gear, see how it feels and sounds, then go up a couple gears and see how that feels. You'll quickly develop a feel for what's good. Nobody here is likely to know what specific rpm number is good in what conditions for a specific bike.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ilkhan posted:

Traffic here does 80, and the carpool lane does 85-90. I don't like not being able to just take off if needed.

I just stuck to the right lane.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

I worked at Cycle Gear for 3 years and spent $20,000 there.

How?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

spouse posted:

No heat, got it.

luckily the jacket is fine (it's mesh, left the leather at home), just boots and gloves are soaked through. Pants are kevlar jeans, so no worry there :D

I have found this invaluable for drying gloves and boots https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYF7WG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $90 and takes up a bit of space, so certainly not a mandatory purchase, but having gloves dry overnight is nice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

King of the Beach posted:

Last weekend, I discovered the wonder that is wearing ear plugs while riding now that I have a new bike that is more capable on the highway and also gets loud once warmed over proper (Arrow slip-on sans db killer). The benefits also go well beyond the hearing protection and noise reduction, you are able to focus so much better on the ride when you have all that white noise cut out. I've just been using generic disposable foam plugs that I grabbed a handful of to try but am now looking for a permanent to set wear at all times that would even more effective, any recommendations would be welcome.

http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-motorcycle-4rt.html

I have these. They are expensive, and not that different from foam ones on a quiet bike. On my sumo though they make a significant difference. Also easier and faster to take in and out.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Carth Dookie posted:

I tallied up the money I've spent on protective gear since I started riding 7 years ago and what I plan to buy by the end of the year and came up with a figure roughly the same as the market value of my 1250 Bandit.

This is a fun exercise. Let's see what I bought since I started riding in April 2016.

Helmets:
Shoei Neotec $650

Jackets:
Icon Contra $250
Klim Badlands $950
Klim Induction $350
Dainese Yang leather $700
Gyde by Gerbing 12V Heated Jacket Liner $250

Pants:
Icon some kind of armored jeans I crashed in and ripped apart ~$80. Don't buy cheap jeans for riding.
Dainese Rainsun $290
Klim Badlands $670
Dainese Bonnneville Slim jeans $230

Gloves:
Some kind of $20 Bilt dirt gloves I rode on the street... Don't do this either!
Dainese Evo D-Dry $120
Dainese Ellis $90 They look awesome but I am not sure where I would actually ride in them...
Dainese Druid Long D1 $230
Gyde by Gerbing 12V Vanguard Gloves $120 heated gloves... Magic in cold weather.

Boots:
Dainese TRQ-Tour Goretex $330
Dainese Course Out D1 Boots $330

Assorted junk:
Balaclava $10
Two pairs of glove liners $30
Fly Rain Gloves Covers $23
Buff neck thing - $30
REV'IT! Velox WSP Windcollar $55
Gyde temp controller $80
Westone custom-fit earplugs ~$200

All of this adds up to $6088.

In conclusion, I feel like an absurd human being. But at least I have all the poo poo I needed for a long time, and it got me through my first 18k miles in 15 months.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You've spent more on jackets alone than all three motorcycles I've owned combined.

I am impressed by how little you spent on your bikes then :].

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ijzer posted:

how do i get a bike from the current owner to my house? i can't get insurance until i have the bike, right? plus i don't know that i'd trust myself on the street to ride it home. do i have to rent a truck?

The best way is to have a friend who rides ride it home for you. And like others said, make sure to shop around for insurance first. Perhaps make a short list of bikes you would want and see how much different companies would charge you.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Do note that decent waterproof gear is expensive as poo poo though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

pun pundit posted:

I usually hold the nozzle so I can see how much is in the tank, but I have yet to have the automatic cutoff system fail on me.

Heh, I have yet to have it not fail on me :v. That could be just the Italian tank - it worked fine on the Ninja. But either way I have learned to always look.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

spouse posted:

I'm starting to see why there are a lot of shitbikes on craigslist right at big maintenance intervals. I'm 8 months and nearly 10k miles into my ex-500, and now it needs a new rear rotor (warped over time, now pulses when braking), definitely needs a brake bleed, probably a new chain (original chain from 10 years ago, I clean it a lot but it's getting to the end of it's stretchability), new sprocket, a valve check and maybe adjustment, air filter, and the freeplay in the clutch lever is still annoying. I bought as a noob, and now that I know what I'm looking at after doing my own maintenance all this time and reading ex-500.com's wiki like a bible, I know it wasn't very well cared for.

I still haven't resprung it/swapped the rear shock because I haven't had time... and yet....

Dealer near me has a ton of sales on the bikes I wanted all along, most of them brand new, both the fast ones I shouldn't buy, and the more beginner-y ones I think are purdy. '17 Ninja 650's, FZ07, and to a lesser extent the CBR650F. And I got a promotion 3 months ago, making better money, could easily work this in, AND the newbike financing is 0% forever and ever more or less... Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

This is how I have 3 bikes. Possibly 4 by the end of today.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dutymode posted:

Hey I wasn't trying to be snarky with the bike pump suggestion. What do you see as the benefit of an electric pump? A nice bike pump is going to be cheaper, lighter, and just as fast unless you have an overkill compressor sitting around for other stuff anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that there is no way a bike pump can get a moto tire to 36 psi or w/e.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

Pressure isn't the problem -- a bike pump can get up to 100psi or more, since that's what you need for the super skinny racing bicycle tires. It's just that a bike tire has (very rough estimate) about a tenth of the air volume as a motorcycle tire, so it takes ten times as long to fill, and that's pretty exhausting.

Yeah, the volume delta was implied in my comment - I could have been clearer.

Well, thanks for learning me, dear goons.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Raiden jacket is awesome. Please tell me you picked the correct color scheme. I am not sure I would trust those gloves though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Kryopsis posted:

Nope. I'll buy a hi-vis vest before my course finishes. Incidentally I passed the province-mandated theory exam so I have a learner's permit now and expect to buy my first motorcycle at the end of April.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kawasaki Vulcan S bikes? Seems like it's also an option if I want fuel injection, liquid cooling and ABS on an [air quotes]entry level[/air quotes] motorcycle. There's a variant available for around $7,200 CAD from a nearby dealership (and there was a 2014 model on Kijiji for about $5,000 last week) but I'm concerned by the fact that it's literally a Ninja 650 engine jammed into a cruiser-style body. While YouTube is full of love-letters to that motorcycle, the acceleration seems quite substantial, possibly too much for a beginner rider.

Blue and gold one rules.

I have ridden mentalcontempt's Vulcan. It's got decent and easily manageable power. I didn't like the ergos all that much. Cruiser foot positioning kinda sucks, and I think the bars felt a bit high. The brakes weren't great, and it was much harder to get a feel for where the road was as compared to a standard bike like ninja 300 or my stupid brutale. All that said, it was a reasonable bike and fun to ride. I don't think it would be a bad choice if you want a cruised specifically.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Yes, I know I'm an utter dumbass for loving about with my mirrors while riding.

Like others insinuated, it was probably mostly due to your attention being divided as opposed to taking a hand off the bar. Just let it be a lesson in pulling over whenever you need to adjust anything requiring fine dexterity.

Also, the lower your speed the more of an effect something like a pothole would have on you. Had you been going 60+, you would have hardly noticed the thing, most likely.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

builds character posted:

Another video telling you it's dumb to buy a 600cc supersport and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8LfoGY3rU

Eh the author kinda sounds like an idiot, so may be he appeals to the idiot crowd more. I don't think intended audience would find the arguments substantively compelling though, especially after the intro of video game memes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Razzled posted:

nice thinly veiled racism

all of his points were very solid and there's nothing in that video that is wrong

Lol what? How did you magically infer the author's race? I assumed he is a white bro given his bro-y condescending tone and montage of memes at the start. Yes, the content of his points is correct, but it's delivered in a way that is so condescending and empty of authority that I find it unlikely it would get people to engage with the content on a logical level.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

If you expect riding facing the sun directly, get the darker one, obv.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Casual Encountess,

Try plenty of bikes. Sumos and dual sports are not the only bikes with good suspension.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I just get on mine and rock it forward to get off (oh yeah).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

4) OK, sure, but what about nice earbuds that help noise cancel, but let me hear my GPS?

I have been to an ear dr a few times, and they confirmed that noise cancelling earbuds do not prevent hearing damage. Their benefit is that you wouldn't need to crank up the volume as much, so it's less hearing damage than regular buds. I ride with noise cancelling buds for shorter (~1hr) lower speed rides.