Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only time "hyper naked" has any particular meaning is when it's describing a guy on the subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A childhood full of visits to the science center hosed me up a little. Because they had the demonstration for gyroscopic effect with a spinning bicycle wheel, I thought you had to be going hell of fast (for a 6-year-old) to keep the bike upright

The first day my folks took the training wheels off my bike, I took off pedalling madly, wobbled a bit too hard and rode right into the ditch on the side of the park path

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Listening to music while riding really jazzes me up, but I don't generally do it because I will start doing poo poo like kicking down a gear and opening the throttle at the same moment the beat drops and it's loving AWESOME and very stupid.

I find music cuts down on the fatigue for me on longer rides, but this can be a legit phenomenon with the wrong tracks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Phone, absolutely everyone with a vehicle plays the game of "do this myself or take it to the shop"

Lots of people decide that their time is not worth investing into developing maintenance skills, so they take it to the shop for everything including oil changes and tire rotation. A few people develop the skills and acquire the equipment to look after their vehicle entirely on their own, and more power to 'em.

Some people learn how to do their own basic wrenching, but they'll still take it in for bigger jobs or things requiring special tools. This is where I find myself, cause a. I don't have a garage, and b. sometimes I just can't be arsed with the frustration of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what specifically needs fixing, and the shop rate still comes out cheaper than a time investment of an entire fuckin' weekend of flailing in my dad's garage. And people in this group are all different in what they are willing to tackle. I'll do valve adjustments on my Rex any day cause it's dead simple, but if I had a VFR, I believe that would be a somebody else problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's hard to trust a guy about riding when he thinks the mothership is gonna teleport him any day now.

The Keith Code is you push UUDDLRLRBA Start on the E-Meter and it vaporizes the body thetans that make you think you've got no lean left and it's time to straighten up and hit the brakes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Every motorcyclist eventually becomes a habitual turn-signal-canceller or top-gear-checker or both.

Worse when you go from having a six-speed for years to a five-speed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Canada is the best for that. Only 11% of all the land in the country is privately owned. A lot of the crown lands are nature preserves, yeah, but a lot also are not, just vast forests miles away from any other human being.

My brain starts to cramp a little when I consider countries where every inch of land is owned by somebody

I realize that's kind of a huge luxury, to have just unowned space... and it's probably all got private claimants anyway, ie the people that lived there before we hustled them onto reservations

Also it's not at all unusual for land that is popular for off-roading to get tore up by 4x4ers and quadders who don't give a poo poo about preserving it for later, and then off-roading of all kinds gets banned there

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

buy a motorcycle

from a brand you heard of

ideally one that also makes cars, musical instruments, or jet fighters

Going back a couple of pages just to ask, who makes the jet fighters?? Kawi? I know they're one tiny arm of what still amounts to a zaibatsu with its fingers in a lot of industrial pies

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is gonna sound pretty Yogi Berra or John Madden but I like to think of it as, the easiest way to avoid being hit in traffic is to not be where the cars are going to be

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Instead of continually relitigating what the manual says, why not hunt down a calm, empty stretch of road and play around with your speed and the gears? Keep half an eye on your tach. Depending on how much power your engine makes (and where in the powerband), and how it's geared, you'll find out pretty quick where it runs out of power, how much rpm it jumps by when you up or downshift, and crucially, what that sounds and feels like so you don't always have to keep your eye on the tach.

Plus you can get in practice blipping the throttle on downshifts. Learning this, with less chance of firing yourself into the sun if you get it wrong, is part of the reason why you bought a small bike to start on.

There's always poo poo to practice. I suck and am bad at motorcycle and one of the things I'm working on this season is downshifting while braking, cause I'm clumsy at it. And I've been riding for - gently caress, fifteen years now? I adore the Rex but I'm starting to wish I had a little Ninja or mt-03 to gently caress around on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depending on how sturdy your kickstand is, you can absolutely board/deboard it by standing on the peg like you're getting on a horse. I did that all the time on my Vstrom

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My cat starts yelling at me two hours before dinner too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: I mostly don't consider myself superstitious but the post I just made is pushing my own limits

People wearing brightly colored or retroreflective gear get smoked just like everyone else on a bike. They're nice to haves but I think they are rarely the deciding factor between a SMIDSY and a OHMISY (that's, Oh Hey Mate I Saw You)

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God, just that "entering a corner too hot on purpose" exercise would be so useful

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

A large roundabout at 1am works the same. Or I guess a deserted Walmart carpark? I'm told they're airport scale.

Correct, although by 1 in the morno I'm all sleepy nowadays

Plus I'd like to try that on a second bike, which I don't have, instead of My Favourite Bike In The World, The Precious, Yessssss, which I do. I'm sure I could try it out on the Rex but I'd be a lot more hesitant to push myself.

The solution there is obvious but I'm short the money rn, especially in this hosed up market

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the handling definitely changes, consider that you're adding a large fraction of the bike's weight right over the back wheel. This also means you can get more use out of the rear brake than you might normally, which, depending on the bike, may mean "any use at all".

I didn't think about the height difference meaning the backseat would be physically closer to the inside of the turn, that's a good thing to remember. I guess don't cut quite so close to the lines at apex.

I don't know what it is, but I've never had an issue with squashing my balls against the tank. Maybe I'm not braking as hard as I could be? I've definitely locked the front a few times but I've never stoppied. Or, this year I'm working on supporting myself from my core rather than my arms, so maybe I've been bracing against the bars when I stop and that's kept me from sliding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Highway/motorway is boring as hell, you have the choice of dicing with psychos or powering past and enticing the cops, and it's loving exhausting. A decent backroad is invigorating even if you're doing snails pace on your enfield or whatever. The highway is how appliances most efficiently reach their destination.

Word. The highway is fatiguing, back roads are energizing.

For me, the highway requires just as much of my attention as the backroad, but since I've got comparatively little to do, boredom and the sense of my own achey body sneaks in. When the twisties kick in, and I'm continually having to provide input to the bike to stay between the lines, that sense of my body starts to melt away until, with luck, the bike and I become a perceptual point moving through curved space. (It also helps that I'm moving around a bunch more, relieving the various muscles and joints that would be holding me into a very small range of locked positions on the highway.)

Semitrailers aren't fun. Even setting aside the tire thing, which I can only think about in abstract, they punch aside huge amounts of air, making a broad area around and behind them punishing to ride in. To say nothing of how they behave in the mountains, especially the underpoweredfuel efficient corporate trucks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carteret posted:

Don't buy an orange bike.

I remember Kawi kicking out the 2000s z750 and 1000 in orange

Also not good first bikes of course

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Learn how to do it because you will almost certainly have to do it at some point.

Advice from CA that I've found invaluable: Put your bike in second. I haven't thought through why it works so much better than first, but it fuckin does.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, that's the thing. When you're standing still, 20C is lovely. When you get all your gear on, but you haven't started moving yet, it can be sweltering. And then you apply 100km/h of wind chill.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Check your local laws.

I know drat well the fuzz here can check registration (and probably insurance status) from their cars; ten years ago when my old car got squashed between an F150 and a Hilux, I didn't have my papers on hand, and I told the cops that, and they neglected to stick me with the "driving without insurance" charge that I was totally bracing myself for

(this is my entry for the "tell me you're a white male without telling me you're a white male" contest)

Plus now the gov't has stopped issuing stickers for your plate and we were explicitly told "the cops don't need to see that to check if your plate is current any more"

I still keep my reg and insurance in a little folder and transfer it between jackets, because why give a cop an excuse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

I’ve already had this conversation. I’m 6’2”, capable but not a mechanic, and I want to sit down on a bike and have it do the things I want it to do (which includes me never having to screw with carbs). If I had an unlimited budget I’d probably at least go look at a Pan American.

DR650’s look like a great bike if I’d gotten into this when I was 23, but I’m 43 and definitely never going to be more than a weekend warrior.

Give one a test ride if you can. If you enjoy it, it will not do wrong by you... It just may not do as right by you as something else might. It's a good, steady motorcycle and a DL650 served me well for a decade. I still miss certain things about the Wee, like the bigger fairing and the very comfortable seat and the Camry-like maintenance requirements. I'd probably still have it if I hadn't test rode the Rex I bought.

It just turns out that what I, personally, really wanted the whole time was a bike from the 90s that looks like a bike from the 80s. And one that when I crank my right wrist down, it screams at God.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's a bike from the 00s that looks like a bike from the 80s and when you crank your right wrist down you wait three months for parts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aw, nuts, that's your bike, isn't it? Sorry for being a jerk, I was being pretty full of myself at the time. The V7s do look pretty great, though I think I prefer the more understated earlier years just after the re-release. One of the few bikes I've ever test-ridden by just asking the dealer if I could take one for a spin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Assuming you've got a decent amount of experience under your belt and are reasonably confident solo, the same way you learn as a rider. Understand the theory, take it slow, make sure you're both clear as to what you should be doing and any hand signals, do some parking lot drills to familiarize you both with the physicality of the process.

My first two-up ride was on a rented fully loaded Harley road couch, in an unfamiliar city in another province, which in retrospect was crazy pants. But I had been riding for years at that point. Worst thing that happened was she fell asleep (slightly less awful than it could have been because she was locked in by the seatback and armrests) and got jolted awake when I went over some train tracks. Best thing that happened was we got married a few years later and I still have a picture of her from that day on my bedside table.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's certainly worth going over your accessible fasteners once or twice a season, though. There's been a few times I've found loose bolts, and once my loving front sprocket nut fell right the gently caress off leaving me thinking I had some kind of transmission problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Tyre balancing is insanely easy and I don't know why internet people make it seem hard

I wonder if it's people used to cars, thinking bike wheels need to be dynamically balanced. I've never used one of the machines but I remember the hand calculations being a pain in the neck.

Actually checking into what dynamic balancing addresses reveals that Slavvy's right, most bike wheels only need static balancing as he describes. Car wheels are a different story. And I suppose if I had a monster chunko rear wheel like off a Diavel or a modded busa or a darksided tourer I'd fling myself off a bridge for the good of humanityconsider having that dynamically balanced.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Just do what I do, and scrub the tires in by going to the movie theater parking lot and doing gymkhana moves at low speed and progressively steeper lean angles until the mall security comes out to yell at you.

Also an opportunity to practice your wheelieing away while flipping the bird skills

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Woof, man. I'd heard ICBC was expensive. Out in AB I'm paying around 450/year on the Rex, though that's the best I've found so far by a good margin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also if you're in heavy or gusty wind and you have zip-open flaps on your jacket, zip those fuckers up. They're meant to catch wind from head-on to keep you cool but they'll happily catch crosswinds as well, increasing the feeling of how pushed-around you're getting. Technically this can fall under Slavvy's "make yourself smaller" because you're reducing your sail area.

I had a real distressing time getting battered by crosswinds coming down out of the mountains at the end of a long trip, until I realized that, and it made the winds easier to deal with.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 8, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm convinced both gear indicators and tachos make you learn slower. They constantly drag your vision down, and they make you try to aim for some kind of target or 'right' gear/rpm instead of doing it correctly.

Anecdotally, one thing a tach is good for is helping you unlearn the bad habit of shifting way too early

When you're sitting at what sounds and feels like the "right" time to shift, and then you look down and see that you've got half the fuckin dial unused, it can spur you to remember the reason Honda invented the NC700, pull your head out of your rear end, and use the rest of the machine.

And when I say "you" here I mean "me".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You can have a situation where eg the engine is spinning but the gearbox isn't so critical bearings get no lubrication splashed their way, that kind of thing, varies by design. Not a factor at low speeds.

I think that might be backwards, the way I understood it is that most oil pumps are driven off the crankshaft, and in most bikes (Harleys excepted, like you said) the gearbox and engine have a shared sump. So if you're coasting with the clutch in, or the bike in neutral, you've got the transmission spinning fast and the engine (and therefore oil pump) idling, so you may be oil-starving the transmission.

If you're engine braking, then the engine is spinning and the oil pump is pumping and you're fine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I think you misunderstood my post cause that's exactly what I'm saying, I phrased it badly. But yeah generally in unitary engines the gearbox is expected to have lubrication proportionate to it's rotating speed which can't really happen if the engine is idling and you're zooming.

Oh absolutely we're agreed on the actual thing that's happening, if you go back and look I bolded the part of your post that I thought was backwards from what we're talking about. My bad if I've got something hosed up.

TotalLossBrain posted:

How does this play out in engines where the transmission just sits in the sump? (Like the 125 Honda uses in the Grom/Monkey/CT)

Without knowing a little more (ie how much of the transmission is bathed in the sump) it's tough for me to say and I'd have to defer to someone who's seen the guts of one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Literally replaced a clutch on a riding instructor's Scorpio three days ago, in the car park before classes started. We talked about this and he remarked that he isn't satisfied until they can deliberately lock the front wheel briefly, and also do a stoppie. This is for people wanting to learn from nothing in order to be able to sit the basic handling test, which is cone stuff.

I've had my Class 6 license for - this'll be 18 years now, gently caress. When I've done braking practice at the start of the season, it's been finding a dead stretch of highway and doing as many stops as I can. And I thought I was good with that!

Today I found an empty parking lot (where I've seen a motorcycle school operating before) and just did loops around it, running straight braking drills. Up to 60km in 1st, back to zero. Turns out the repeatability of braking at the same point over and over again is real fuckin important, because after I locked the front once, I tried applying pressure a hair more progressively, and avoided the zebra crossing paint, and I did my first stoppies. Ever.

gently caress.

Do your practice in a parking lot if at all possible, repeatability matters.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
To add onto Slavvy's response, SEKcobra:

What's the faster way to accelerate a bike: burning out, or with full traction? The answer is full traction, which is why drag bikes look the way they do. Burning out wastes energy that could be converted into motion instead of roasting the tire. (E: in fact, the coefficient of friction for a sliding contact is less than it is for a static (non-sliding) contact. So with the same engine, tires, road, RPM, weight distribution and loading, everything, a burning-out tire cannot accelerate as fast as a gripping tire.)

The physics works exactly the same decelerating as accelerating. So, the fastest way to stop is with full traction, and as much as possible. A skid decelerates slower. It also makes the bike uncontrollable, because now the skid is happening on the one tire that steers.

Slavvy's part comes in at this point. Without the maximum normal force from full weight transfer smushing the tire against the planet, you can't generate the maximum deceleration avalaible, because you don't have the full traction available. Skidding is a self-reinforcing phenomenon!

Also remember that ABS is not designed to provide you with the maximum stopping force, it's designed to interrupt a skid so that you can still control which direction the bike is pointing.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 14, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Take your mirrors off even if it isn't mandatory.

First rule of Italian race car driving: what is-a behind me, is notta important

(guessing it's actually so they don't litter the track with glass if you bail? Guess what, I've never track dayed)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

You can see a wheel's rotation much more clearly than the car's initial movement.

Even if you live in a non-splitting jurisdiction, this is vital information for spotting cars at intersections or driveways that are about to SMIDSY you

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

some mfrs require that all services be done by an authorized shop or dealership for the first X miles/X years.

some mfrs always trying to ice skate uphill

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

If you need navigation while you're riding, get a

tankbag with a window and a paper map :okboomer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kinda thought conventional wisdom was that any fuel/parts savings you might see from riding are obliterated by your twenty-minute evening commute becoming a two-hour burn through the hills

To say nothing of the disparity in the cost of consumables like tires and brakes, gently caress