Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Geico's bike rates are terrible for me. Progressive was the most reasonable, but there are usually local insurance companies if you live in a city that'll beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

builds character posted:

Another video telling you it's dumb to buy a 600cc supersport and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8LfoGY3rU

I'm not bro-ey at all, but I've always wanted a GSX-R750. I've liked them since I was like... 14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro0AW6KfzNw This video right here along with a lot of "nope that's dumb" from here and reddit kept me from getting a "fast" bike for my first bike. Very, very glad I listened. I'm mature enough to know I'm not mature enough to own something that can hit 100 that quick. Not yet, anyway. I never really wanted a supersport outside of daydreams, especially once my 6'4" rear end sat on one, but I was looking at a lot of 100-120hp twins and triples before I settled on the 500.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

It seems to me like even if you do everything right, it's still pretty dangerous to be a motorcycle rider in the city. But I also realize I have no real actual experience with lots of city riding, only ?town? riding, so I'm not a good judge.
Are my assertions correct? Is it still a high gamble to get on your bike everyday to ride in a bigger city like San Antonio? Or am I maybe blowing things out of proportion since I only read the headlines and have no experience?

I commute daily (any day it's not below freezing or raining) by bike in Charlotte NC (854k to your 1.5 million) and yes, city riding is much more dangerous than "town" riding. I still enjoy it, but I recognize that there are risks, and I do what I can to mitigate those. Reflectors, I'm working on getting brighter paint (plastidip) on the bike, and more importantly, I leave long following distances, I make sure I'm keeping as big a gap between myself and traffic as possible, and I'm always, always watching for distracted coffee and cell phone enjoying drivers.

My commute is a little bit of everything too. I start on a very suburban area, into a busy 35mph city street, onto a 45mph 2 lane with a divider, onto a 55mph 5 lane wide highway that everyone goes 70+ on, into uptown traffic that's bumper to bumper. I have to be different kinds of alert at each spot.

I like it. If you're worried about a lot of terrible drivers, or if accidents are very common, an efficient used sedan might be a better pick, but I enjoy commuting on the bike as much as possible. It's definitely a bigger risk, there's no getting around that, but you've got to make that decision for yourself. That said, my experience is limited, I started riding exactly a year ago, and I usually put 8-10k on a car annually. I put 10k on the bike and 4k on the car.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

man thats gross posted:

Would this be stupid for a new rider? I can't tell if this is genius or idiocy:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/kawasak...%204L1&sprx=100

Like, assuming it runs, it pretty much can't get any worse cosmetically. Also lol at "11 previous owners". Joke or typo or real, it's like, god drat, what a listing.

is... isn't that exactly what your first bike should be? Buy that, ride the poo poo out of it for a year, sell it for $100 more than you paid for it.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

print some new turn signals

we live in the future. :roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Llewellyn posted:

Something like the beeline product feels like a proper amount of direction without being information overload. But everyone should get a cardo anyway. I swear Google’s audio prompts are pretty clear.

Is cardo better than the sena competition? I listened to myself in my own sena and the audio quality outgoing is just atrocious. I'm in a full face shoei RF1200, it should not be that lovely sounding.