Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ess-vid posted:

I suppose I'm not particularly against the little "sport" bikes like the R3 and the Ninja. I'm just a bit leery of them as I can't so much as drive to the gas station without at least one blundering twuntwumpus taking deep and serious personal offense at my Abarth's very existence and going all clown car to "put me in my place", so the possibility of all of the same morons thinking that my cruising down the road means "that crotchrocket wants to race me!!!" sits in the back of my mind as I look at them.

This will happen every time you ride, everywhere, no matter the bike. Get past it, let them smoke you from a stoplight, none of it matters. Let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ess-vid posted:

there's only so many times you hear someone go "fix it again tony! haw haw" before they spend the next five minutes trying to get their clapped out Pontiac to start before you decide that for most people talking about anything with an engine should be a crime punishable by death.

Oh, well in that case you definitely want a Ninja 250 or 300, so every 3rd person you speak to will tell you "Why'd ya get that? You'll just grow out of it in a month! Hurr hurr"

Meantime I've had mine for 4 years and am only getting rid of it because I don't have the space.

If you go with something else, don't worry, you won't be left out: if you don't buy a Harley, soo many people will ask you when you're going to get a real bike. If you do get a Harley, plenty of non-Harley motorcyclists will ask you how you enjoy riding your tractor.

Stop letting other people's opinions ruin your enjoyment of your things, man.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ijzer posted:

What is a good beginner bike that would support some medium distance touring? Ideally I'd like a bike that could allow me to ride 300-500 miles in relative comfort while taking enough gear with me to camp for a couple days. I've looked into the Ninja 250 but it looks like the luggage options for it are spending $1000+ or building my own frame. Or maybe the 10 year old wiki page isn't correct!

My budget is ~$5000 for gear and bike and luggage.

Utterly doable on a ninjette if said bike fits you well. This thread is worth a read:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778918

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

builds character posted:

Be like this, but with suspension and riding the most track days.

This, man. Reorient. You don't replace the whole computer, you find out how it works and what's holding you back, then upgrade that. (Note to my past self: it's the hard drive. Stop messing with memory timing multipliers and splurge on an SSD.)

There is so much poo poo to learn on a cheap bike. Replace spark plugs. Check your valves. Clean and balance your carbs. Replace your brake and clutch lines. Replace all your fluids. Replace your brake pads (and maybe rotors) if they need it.

Working on a bike is actually fun, unlike working on a car. At least for me.

And if you feel like you really need to spend money, start looking at better gear. Can always spend more on gear.

edit: wider tires aren't necessarily "better." They're more stable at high speeds, but make the bike less flickable around corners.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ijzer posted:

i've just never owned a vehicle so i am not familiar with the way buying insurance works.

Get insurance quotes before you go buying a motorcycle. Like, look on craigslist, find something you like, find out how much it'll cost you to insure it, then go from there. Motorcycle insurance varies wildly from bike to bike, rider to rider, carrier to carrier. You don't want to get your heart set on a motorcycle only to buy it and then discover you can't afford to insure it.

Also, not that I recommend it, but I rode my first one home on the freeway during rush hour after taking the MSF. Had my ride behind me in a car to break traffic.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Coydog posted:

To be more condensed and specific with the helmet responses: With a 3/4 helmet you might not die, but you will really wish that you had. I can think of maybe once that I've gone down and not banged my chin bar hard before dragging face first along the pavement. Graceful.

Please get a helmet that covers your face.

This thread needs this photo every couple of pages. Helmet shows the location-specific likelihood of impact based off the Hurt Report.

Helmet is the Icon Airframe Statistic, and I wish it fit me. Please note where the double digits are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Rolo posted:

-I dropped a bike! The first time I tried the box to the right I got too slow and too tight and down she went. I probably could have saved it but man I’m brand new to all of this so I just held her as she slowly went down for her nap.

This got passed in the excitement over someone else's high side, but don't try to save a dropping bike. Let it go.
Bikes seem light when they're upright, but are extremely heavy when they're going down. Yeah, you'll break some poo poo when it hits, but clutch levers, mirrors, and fairings are all way cheaper than rotator cuff surgery. Let it go.