Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Fanelien posted:

Also bounce off the rev limiter in top gear. It's good for the soul.

Depending on the bike - a good way to free your soul!

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Nope!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

theKGEntleman posted:

Have my endorsement test Monday, so I'm trying to lock down a bike. Thoughts on the one below? I was happy seeing abs listed.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6178248370.html

Holy poo poo, a ninja with more than 2,000 miles.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The 88-07 is cheaper, more abundant, and anecdotally has better performance than the newgen. If you want something newer/have a better budget, you may as well bump up to a 300 ABS.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If your not seating beads you can use a bicycle pump.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Hey I wasn't trying to be snarky with the bike pump suggestion. What do you see as the benefit of an electric pump? A nice bike pump is going to be cheaper, lighter, and just as fast unless you have an overkill compressor sitting around for other stuff anyway.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

pokie posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that there is no way a bike pump can get a moto tire to 36 psi or w/e.

That's why in my first post I had the seating beads caveat. Otherwise you're looking at portable pumps that run on 12V and take just as long as a manual bike pump or you may as well get a nice compressor that you'll use for other stuff.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ya'll are crazy. Bike tires run at something like twice the psi of a motorcycle tire, and for my motorcycles I've rarely had to add more than a couple psi. It takes no more time than pumping up bicycle tires.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Uh a DRZ is both less comfortable and taller than a KLR.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My experience has been that mesh is cooler than going squid as long as you're moving more than 5 mph and it's less than' 98 out. Over that it blows no matter what.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I know the pregen ninja, of all things, never got side racks from anyone. Your options are soft luggage or self-made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm up in New Hampshire, there are older Ninja 250's for between 1.5-2.5k and 300's for around 3k. The only reason I'm considering the Z400 is that I feel it might last me longer than the Ninja 250 and might be better suited to longer rides at higher speeds along the highway if I was going to go up to northern and western Maine. I'm too short for adventure bikes, unless they were lowered, unfortunately. The Ninja 250 would be cheaper and probably a wiser choice at the start, but new and shiny is...well new and shiny, unless I drop it.

I've owned 5 bikes over the last 9 years, and the 250 I've had for the last 4 is the most comfortable one of them all other than the '81 Goldwing. I've done up to 450 mile days and moto camping trips up to 5 days on it. The 250's seat allows lots of movement to change up your riding position on long rides. I would say the 250 is more tiring than my other bikes were on the interstate, but the bike can do it all day, and if there is a wrong way to ride motorcycles it's riding on the interstate. This is the
longest I've kept a bike. My previous bikes include an SV-650 and DRZ, neither of those lasted 6 months. It's in the budget to get a new bike next spring but it makes me kinda sad to think about getting rid of the 250. Like Slavvy said, the real advantage the newer bikes have is ABS.