Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Great OP duder, I'll try to write up some stuff about UK/EU laws and stuff soon.

This dude is the bomb for learning things about wobbling around on two wheels, an experianced motorcycle instructor from 'up north'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFm3honeTQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Dick Burglar posted:

I took the MSF last December because Harley Davidson was offering it for free to first responders. I told myself I'd just learn how to ride and get it out of my system (if I dispel the mystery I'll dispel the interest, I figured), but like Sagebrush says in the OP, that's not how it works. And so the main reason I haven't bought a bike and gear yet is because I have no income :v:

I'll be bookmarking this thread to come back to when I'm willing to take the plunge. This is great information--thanks for posting this, Sagebrush. Also thanks for that radiograph--I'm going to send that to my paramedic instructors.

Oh boy have I got a video for you.

Presentation on Irish road racing medics.

Basically these guys ride with the racers to act as first responders on the longer Irish road racing courses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

Keket fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 20, 2017

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Get yourself some kind of pants too, anything with knee pads as even a low speed slide will rip through most fabrics like butter.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
No harm in doing it again, how long since you last rode?

Supermoto, you'll sit above most traffic so you can lane split easy as gently caress, they're comfortable and have great nimble handling for navigating the city.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just to add to the UK thing, you don't NEED to do a geared conversion course at all, most places will ask if you want to do geared or auto when you book. Even then you can just pass on a auto 50cc scoot and learn geared on your own time.

Remember you have to renew your cbt every two years if you don't have your full or A2 licence, and you have to be over 24(?) to do an unlimited (das) licence, until then A2 is your limit.

Also some places offer a cbt with your das if you haven't done it yet.

But yeah basically all 125cc bikes are pretty much the same so buy whatever takes your fancy at the time if you don't want to go straight over to your das/A2.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I always buy my helmets in packs.

Though yeah for your first helmet go to a physical store and try on a ton of them.

Shake your head around with it on, ignore the cheek pads as they break in, make sure it doesn't press on your forehead too much.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just wrap a trash bag around your head and use a twist tie to secure it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
We where told (though this is the UK, so we drive on the left) to put your left down so that if your foot hits one of the many oil puddles that litter our roads, and slips, you don't fall into traffic.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Fanelien posted:

This. All the time forever.

Look where you want to go, it applies to any vehicle at speed. in most cases the vehicle is much more capable than you think it is.

Along with this, never target fixate.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
RE: keeping your bikes yours and not stolen, I swear he monitors these forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHFK4WLBl0

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
He shows off a ground anchor you can install into thin concrete or thick concrete.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just badly adjusted ones I'd assume. It sounds like one of those reasonings that leads to 'if your fingers are going to get pinched by braking that hard that suddenly, you probably have bigger concerns than a broken/bruised finger.'

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Coydog posted:

Always shoulder check. Always. Even if your mirrors are clear. I never even check my mirrors anymore, because a shoulder check is faster and safer.

Parroting this forever.

Go out and practice shoulder checks going up and down the street, look as far back as you can and get yourself into the habit of doing them as much as possible whilst keeping in control.

Don't let this knock you mate, get out there and have fun duder :)

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Cant remember if this channel has been posted here before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muP8nZ6-tXE

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Slippery posted:

Really sorry for the delayed response but thanks very much for the insight! I will look into getting a pair of the smx5s. I gotta admit the big white logo turns me off a bit, not that I'm Cayce Pollard but I was hoping for just a black pair with maybe a subdued logo. Nice to know they're likely better boots though.

Just take a sharpie to the logo.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody recommend me a decent camera for my bike? I'm looking to record my long rides into the hills and countryside, and possibly upload them to YouTube (vain I know).

I'm on a budget though so the more south of £100 the better.

Second hand GoPro? Idk if Sony or anyone has upped their game but you'll probably get a ton more use out of a GoPro both on and off the bike.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

High Protein posted:

Or a Versys 650 or Bandit 650 abs (kinda heavy though).

Well that and the fact that unlike most people here I don't feel anything <60hp is suitable for highway riding.

My old (07) V-strom 650 had about 60 and was perfectly fine on the highway, I think 250's are probably about the minimum I'd take on there, but to each their own. And I suppose if everyone in your area is doing 80-90+ on the highways then I could see the need for more powah.

Also old hornets are baller, and idk if america got it but you can also look for CBFs which are the commuter versions of the hornet, a little more gentile at 70ish hp, nice smooth throttle and gearbox too which is great.

Slavvy posted:

Flying is much the same. What kind of chump starts off on a cessna? No room to grow when you top out at 200mph with a tail wind. Better off learning on an F18; the throttle goes both ways after-all and they still move along plenty fine without switching on the afterburner.

Love this.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Kryopsis posted:

But yeah, I'm totally going to drop this bike, scratch the shiny blue paint and feel bad for the rest of the riding season. :negative:

Take the keys from the dealership person, then just kick it over. Then you don't have to worry about the sense of dread for 'when/if' knowing it's already done.

Having a warranty and a known history for a new rider is also really good. And that gear voucher will pretty much set you up with everything. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots (Forma Adventure lows, trust us) pants.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I have the non-mips version of that helmet and rate it pretty high, though you might want to pick up a pinlock visor for it, as i found it fogs pretty easy. Other than that it's a great helmet, and yeah the peak comes off within moments and works pretty well for street use without it.

I also have those boots and rate them pretty high! If you're planning on walking around in them allot off the bike, I'd say possibly pick up the low versions though, great boots otherwise.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I think I had the dark one on my old airframe and it did me well. Alternatively if there's a tinted one that matches your helmet, go for that and continue looking rad.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
They're not nearly identical, they are identical.

Most Chinese bikes come from the same places, all the UK distributors (lexmoto etc) do is better quality control, finishing touches, decals etc.

It all depends on how long you plan on 125ing and what you want to do. I got a sinnis apache as my first bike, was pretty decent as far as how much I paid for it. I'd only buy a Chinese bike brand new though for the two year warenty cover.

Look for one of the established brands, lexmoto etc, that way if poo poo goes wrong they won't disappear in the night. Finding parts over here is easy enough with how popular the Chinese brands are becoming.

Oh and unless they have a brand you recognise on the tires, change them before you even take delivery of the bike.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve pretty much got a rough idea of everything I’m going to buy, gear, bike, insurance. But I realised I haven’t taken into account security.

Easily fixed, buy a chain. But where do I keep it? If I’m commuting every day, I’ll need the chain at both ends, and I really don’t want to carry a 6+ kg chain in a backpack each day.

If nobody makes pannier (rails?) or top boxes for the bike(s) I’m looking at getting, what are my options?

Get yourself a tail bag, enough to store a chain and cover, kriega make good ones.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Makes me wish they had fans at motorcycle shops so you could test wind noise whilst trying on lids.

Also seconding the Bell, they make pretty decent lids.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
If you get a vstrom 650 buy a front fork brace for it asap, they're loving terrible without them, only like $60 and the difference is very noticeable.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Keegers posted:

I have been riding for a week now everyday commuting to work and back. What makes it stressful for me is some rear end in a top hat riding my rear end, I try and drive in the space with minimal cars in traffic but there is always some rear end in a top hat who rides right behind me and refuses to pass even if I get over. They'll just sit in my blind spot. I try to give ample space in front of me if I got someone on my rear end, but not sure how to make them back off.

Don't want to brake check because I'll lose that fight Everytime against a car and it's not safe.. but I also don't want to speed up kind of seems like I just have to deal and hope they don't run me down

If you're comfortable and its safe, I usually find weaving back and forth in my lane lightly to be a good 'gently caress off' sign, or if that fails you can always do what my buddy does and turn around with the whole 'what' motion back at them, flexible bastard.

On the other hand, you're possibly on the fastest vehicle on that section of road..

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Eh more pull away from them a bit, to create a bit of comfortable space, the feeling of getting tailgated will fade though the more you ride though, I find glancing back now and then can also help most drivers get the idea that you don't feel comfortable with them 'that close', it'll also surprise you how much mirrors will make cars feel closer/further away.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Casual Encountess posted:

so what are some hot tips and tricks to atgatt while not absolutely melting because goddamn it’s hot out

If its super hot you can soak one of those neck-sleeve things in cold water and put it around your neck. Good gloves help too.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve started commuting to/from work through London, and while my Arai Axcess 3 is great on nearly all metrics, I have two issues with it

- it fogs up like a sauna even in warm weather, but I think a pinlock will fix this.

- when watching the road, the chin bar obscures my mirrors, gps and tacho. Meaning I can either look at the road, or them. Making what would be a ‘quick glance’ a full head movement.

I’m not sure how much of it to chalk up to inexperience, and how much is just bad ergonomics, but I often find myself doing last minute braking during traffic after checking my mirrors as a car in front has stopped sooner than expected.

Is this a common problem, me being a noob, or should I look at buying a helmet with a bigger viewing aperture (eg, Bell MX-9, Nolan N44) for commuting, and resign the arai to recreational lower-traffic trips?

Stop looking at your tacho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Patrocclesiastes posted:

HI Y'all, still didnt get my motorcycle license. Driving teacher got sick which meant my last driving class was cancelled and so were my driving and handling tests. Then I went to Japan for two weeks and came back and now my classes and tests are scheduled for end of june :( I'm Pretty bummed since its been crazy nice weather here and I was hoping to be driving with my dad when I got back here.

Anyhow, Im back looking at bikes, saw a Ninja 250 for 3000 euros in a reasonable condition, but since im a fatty fat fat Im still somewhat suspicious. I still like how Kawasaki ER-5 looks, but I dont know anyone who has ridden one, so if you have any experiences, I would appreciate them.

Other thing, I fell in love with the Vstrom in Japan, I found a 2008 600cc Vstrom with 42 000km for 5000 euros, is this a bad first bike?

I also bought some touring mapples in Japan, and trying to sell the idea to go bike riding in Japan to my dad, who has done multiple 3000km trips in Europe :v:

I had that exact bike a year ago! The only heads up I'd give is get yourself a front fork brace for like £40 off ebay or whatever, the front forks on those really need it.

Source: rode a few thousand miles without it and felt the difference immediately, worth the small investment.

Can't really comment on that price though as Idk how Japan is, bought mine with luggage and heated grips, 32k miles for around £3k?