Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

alr
May 14, 2009

betterinsodapop posted:

Just bought a new jacket on closeout.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/alpinestars_gp+plus+r+leather+jacket+
I went for leather, with CE padding, and some ability to wear in fall/spring as well as summer.
How'd I do?

I've had that same jacket for a year and a half now and have only good things to say about it. You can stretch it into surprisingly cold weather if you have a decently warm long sleeve base layer (and probably a bike with fairings), too. I've done over an hour on the freeway at around 2°C with some under armour brand long sleeve thing and a neck warmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009

-Inu- posted:

Same stuff.
Oh, you're looking for street boots? I assumed you were looking for something offroad oriented based on the other choices. Let me try to track down a post I've made on boots before.

edit: this is the best I can find atm. i'd do a huge effortpost but i'm a little busy today.

For what it's worth that post was originally an explanation directed at me since I own those boots, they're real good and also on closeout prices at Revzilla atm if they're in your size - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-speed-wp-boots. The bit in red is actually plastic and won't fold at the ankle either inwards or outwards, they're waterproof (spent 2 hours in shithouse coastal rain, feet bone dry) and after replacing the insole they're comfy as gently caress. I've spent all day at Philip Island MotoGP wearing them, obviously not as comfortable as trainers or whatever, but more comfortable than I was expecting from moto gear.

alr
May 14, 2009
I've had my 2015 R3 for around 2.5 years, and apart from the recalls have had no issues whatsoever. I'm mainly just a weekend rider though, so if there are any issues with higher mileage examples I wouldn't know. The main thing is the tyres, going from the stock ones to a proper set was "oh wow" followed by "how were those legal, yamaha". Also, spend the extra for the ABS

alr
May 14, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve pretty much got a rough idea of everything I’m going to buy, gear, bike, insurance. But I realised I haven’t taken into account security.

Easily fixed, buy a chain. But where do I keep it? If I’m commuting every day, I’ll need the chain at both ends, and I really don’t want to carry a 6+ kg chain in a backpack each day.

If nobody makes pannier (rails?) or top boxes for the bike(s) I’m looking at getting, what are my options?

I use a brake disc lock (put it on the rear wheel) and prayers. The lock just fits under my rear seat but if I'm commuting it's only a small weight in the backpack. It'll prevent someone with a screwdriver hotwiring it and riding off, but not 2 people with a van or someone with the time to use a power tool on it. I'm sure you already know this, but get full coverage insurance. If you do end up going with a chain, loop it through the frame of the bike and a solid object.

Edit: random video from some youtuber in Melbourne that always stuck with me, especially since I used to park near that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoozOYcP1rY

alr fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 3, 2018

alr
May 14, 2009

Slavvy posted:

cbr250rr which tbh is a one trick pony and the trick gets old real fast.

Yeah and the one trick is showing off to your mates after buying your learner bike with an aftermarket pipe and sounding like an obnoxious F1 car leaving the lights at 40 km/h. Those things used to be everywhere around Melbs, I'm guessing the Ninja 300s, CBR300s etc have gotten cheap enough to be desirable for your L plates now

alr
May 14, 2009
It'll be a common issue because the R3 is (stupidly, imo) marketed by Yamaha as part of the YZF family of sportbikes and listed as a supersport on their product page so that's probably what's going on. It'd be like calling a Ninja 300 a Ninja ZX-3R.

alr
May 14, 2009

Casual Encountess posted:

what’s the most cyberpunk bike?

Katana with the flippy headlight, imo

alr
May 14, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What's the thread's feeling on backpacks instead of tailbags? I have the Kreiga US30 and while I can clearly tell it's a quality waterproof tailbag, it's also a giant pain in the rear end to hook up and unhook every time I get on or off my bike. I commute to work everyday and have things that I need to carry back and forth. I live in Southern California so waterproofness is less of a concern than other places. I am considering switching to a backpack or something that is easier to get in and out of. The other alternative is saddlebags (bike is Yamaha XSR700) but that's at least 500 dollars for soft bags and I am not sure they'd be super useful since I still need to carry things to and from work. If there were a backpack that I could secure something like a tailbag, that'd be the most ideal situation. That way I can carry it when I need to but not have to wear in on my back while I ride.

I use a random Caribee backpack for commuting, if I'm carrying an uncomfortable amount of stuff it goes on the pillion seat with a cargo net holding it down. Works for me, but if you do go the method of strapping stuff down or using a net make sure the straps aren't going to catch on anything, and it isn't going to rotate around over the side

alr
May 14, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

What else is there? I live in Brisbane, I have to pay Australian prices

Yeah, LAMS means any small bike holds its value unreasonably well. You like naked bikes, are you keen on dual sports? I started on an R3 and I love it, but if I could do it again I'd have gotten a DRZ400/WR250R etc. There's so much good offroad riding in Australia and they're perfect for it, while still being great at commuting

alr
May 14, 2009
A friend of mine has a W800 which is pretty similar spec-wise. Low compression ratio and low redline, it was weird riding a bike with the same rpm as a car

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

Do I need ear pro for town speeds on a 321CC bike? Do ear buds count as ear pro?

I have a commute that's around 25 mins of 80 km/h max with a Shoei NXR (RF1200) that fits me great, and I don't use earplugs for that. I do if I plan on hitting the freeway at all. My old helmet was an AGV that I bought as a cheaper first helmet and it never really fit me properly, whistled a bit, and needed ear plugs on my commute because it was annoyingly loud after around 70-75 km/h.
The R3 is a quiet bike anyway (keep it that way, it'll sound awful with an exhaust) it's only the wind noise you'll worry about

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I now think I’m going to have this bike a long time. I’ve started really connecting with it when I do something. Every little flick and bit of lean responds immediately and it’s intoxicating. I found some great country roads just out of the city and I’ve been having a blast practicing my entry and exit into curves over and over. Steering this thing is so fun and I can tell it can do much more than what I’m comfortable doing on public roads.

I think I want to learn about track stuff?

I have an R3, was my first bike around 4 years ago. I'll have it until it dies, it's real good for commuting/filtering and country roads where I live. I originally wanted a naked bike like an MT-09/Street Triple etc after a couple of years of riding, but now it's not so much the power I want but a different experience. My next bike will be a 790 ADV or Tenere 700 because I'm sick of limping down all the unpaved poo poo that shows up after an hour away from my house.

Definitely do the track instruction stuff, it's fun and you'll learn a lot

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I have Dunlop SportMAXXX GPR300’s. Will those be good in colder temps or will it be like that mustang riding summer tires in winter?

-My bike will be in an open parking garage so while it won’t get iced on, it’ll get below freezing at night and some days. Anything to do other than let it warm up plenty before riding? Any battery concerns?

-Will a full face keep my head warm enough with the vents closed? I should be good neck down, I have lots of warm moisture wicking base layers for hiking and camping I can throw under my gear and my jacket has a zip in liner on top of that.

This is all for sunny riding as well, I’ll either avoid longer rides where I may get caught in weather or buy actual winter rain gear.

- Your tyres are fine, just be more careful in the cold and wet in general
- It'll be fine. I just let it idle while I put my helmet and gloves on, then once I'm moving wait until it's warmed up properly before going WOT. I've left my bike unattended for 3 months in a carport while travelling and it fired straight up. You'll want to lube your chain more often if it's raining though
- Probably depends more on the person, but I"m a wimp and use a Wool Buff knock-off at anything below like 10 celcius. Moto-branded stuff is usually super overpriced
- Someone here recommended going to a camping store and grabbing a cheaper rain oversuit instead of spending $$ on motorcycle specific stuff. I did that and just keep it in my tankbag for emergencies, it works fine. I use it for heavy rain in commutes too even though I have proper waterproof textiles, because their nylon construction will hold water even if the waterproof membrane keeps you dry

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’m going to be trying some motorcycle camping this fall. I’m not in a place to have 2 bikes and I’m not wanting to trade so it’s gonna be the R3. I’ve got lightweight backpacking gear already so all I need is a way to transport it. My bike obviously doesn’t have OEM bolt on luggage accessories so I’ll ask this: would it be smarter to try and fit universal bags to the rear sides or just pack a duffel and ratchet the sucker down to the passenger seat? I’m guessing the latter. I need 30L of total space minimum.

Also, if it’s short and handled carefully, how treacherous is an unpaved road for my entry level street bike?

I do it easily on my R3, I just went to a camping store for a random waterproof 50L duffel bag. Use two Rok Straps (these are great) to attach to the passenger pegs and tail tidy, but you can attach them to the underside of the seat too if you have a full fender. I have a small tankbag (phone, wallet, camera) and a backpack with water (and food for camp at the last petrol stop). Don't use a backpack more than you have to, it sucks after a while.

Off-tarmac is fine as long as you're that there are a lot more tyre ruts and potholes that your front wheel is going to want to follow. The only time I've dropped my bike was at a standstill on wet grass/mud at a campground because my foot slipped, so be aware of how much traction your boots have too!

alr
May 14, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

In other news, I did my first proper night time ride today to the next town and then back 3 hours later. Did well. Only got beeped at once (at a roundabout). It wasn't as scary as I'd made it out in my mind to be. And the roads were dead quiet on the way back, which helped.

Night riding owns. Used to work nightshift and would come back past the beaches at 3am. Summer nights are the best

alr
May 14, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Gonna change the oil on my bike.

Where do I get a spare oil drain bolt and sealing washer in case the existing ones are no good once they are taken off the bike to drain the oil?

Pretty much anywhere. Grab a pack of the correct size crush washers since you'll be replacing them every change, and if you buy one of those aluminium magnetic drain bolts make sure it's one where there's enough metal around the magnet. This is just a random google search so I have no idea about these brands, but I'd personally avoid the first one. Don't over-tighten it.

Also have a plan to get rid of the oil soonish, because it's real easy to be lazy and have something like 8 litres in random containers in the back of the shed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I think my long term goal is gonna be keeping the R3 for around my city and an MT07 for longer highway rides and moto camping trips.

I've had an R3 for around 4 and a half years now and have no plans of selling it. Giving the Tenere 700 and KTM 790 another year or so for new owners to work out the bugs then jumping on one of those for overnighters and farm/fire road riding. Getting annoyed with constantly running across lovely roads when I'm exploring and looking for campsites