Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Spiggy posted:

I swear as much as I love riding, owning a bike and living in an apartment complex is the most frustrating experience.

That blows it sounds like some bonehead really knocked it good. Parking on the street makes me feel super naked for some reason. Locks and a cover really help and settles my nerves a bit.

Good luck Irondoge you'll be certified before you know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
This thread got way too real, all I can hear is dandanthefireman saying "You know the car saw that escape path too brother you gotta be smarter than that"

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I love that you listen to your lizard brain, never deny fear always manage it. Over 500 motorcyclists die in Cali every year, the freeways are actively trying to kill you.

I got a 800lb KLR 650 and 90% of my lane splitting is with zero acceleration or weaving, I ride SD to SLO twice a month. Just straight and steady no wild poo poo, and I make insanely good time.

Pressuring drivers to let you through is a great way to make one of those "why is this driver upset at the poor little cyclist" videos on YT that makes us look like little bitches.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Vino posted:

The problem is that my lizard brain used to be scared of things that at this point it is no longer scared of. I used to get scared every time I got on a bike and that has largely subsided. Now it’s just in certain situations.

Good self awareness and seems like you got good instincts. Personally it's very fun to see other riders excited and enjoying riding. I was probably a bit too much of a negative nancy, just want to temper the excitement a bit.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah if you ride off road the assumption is you’ve already fallen a million times.

Good thing I saw this, was about to brag about dropping it all the time

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Referring to key fobs as sex toys just made my day. It will be paid forward to the crew you delightful muse(s)

Oh man these last couple pages are a balm for my angry old man soul God bless you every one

Holy snipe uh you know what the difference between a bmw and porcupine is

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Awesome tips about self awareness and staying in the moment, that's great advice for my auto driving too. Especially the 'am I distracted by personal life' stuff. Thanks nerobro

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Unless you decide to never pass a car, you can't avoid that situation entirely.

However you can mitigate the risk three ways:

"3 great tips"

Shoot these are good reminders for my four wheeled driving, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I also get in plenty of trouble on low power bikes. The SV will be my next bike.

Saying this with love invest in some drop protection for the Indian. My first bike gained a lot of 'character' as I learned.