Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Like this?

Mb100 git u one

I really dug this one I saw at a classic bike show a few years back:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

The worst one was the Zero SR/S(I think?), The rear brake was doubly poo poo. For one, the lever was really hard to locate for me, I would either slip off or push down on the lever which would make it not go down because of the angle. In the rare case that I managed to actuate it, the rear brake just did absolutely nothing on that bike.

Can confirm the rear brake on the SR/S and SR/F is garbo. It's weak as hell and has a reverse pivot point compared to typical rear brake levers so you lose mechanical advantage too. I pretty much don't use it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

Went on a rural extended ice cream run with bro yesterday. I was doing about 100km/h under some trees when one of them dropped a cone on my visor. Not sure if pine or spruce but it made a big bang and the ricochet hit my arm which hurt. Possibly the visor was the ricochet come to think of it. I don't think I will ever become one of those guys with an open helmet and sunglasses, as if the bumblebees weren't intimidating enough. The really large beetles are pretty rare to see airborne but I shudder at the thought.

I don't think I've gone on a single ride where something didn't violently bounce off my visor and made me thankful for always wearing a full face.

Well that and the prospect of keeping my jaw in the event of a crash.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jowj posted:

Also, holy poo poo, preowned bike dealer sites are worse than cars, jesus. A UI straight out of 2005, search that doesn't work, a price filter that will show you "call for quotes" prices. gently caress. I've been primarily looking on craigslist, and I don't have facebook. Are there other services I should be paying attention to? Some cursory checking shows that in some of the other major cities (Houston, San Antonio) the bike market is a bit more active. Has anyone bought their first bike from out of town before like that? How'd you handle it - did you rent a van and load the bike up? Did you pay a service?

You should really look on facebook because thats where most of them are listed now

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That’s the first thing I thought of as well. God those are so creepy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That's been my experience with Progressive in PA, I normally do liability only and its been $75/yr for my past 3 bikes. I finally did full coverage for the Zero and even that is barely over $200/yr.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phy posted:

Even if you live in a non-splitting jurisdiction, this is vital information for spotting cars at intersections or driveways that are about to SMIDSY you

This is something my drivers ed instructor in high school taught us and has always stuck with me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been using various RAM mounts for almost 15 years, though have been wondering lately if I'm one redline away from nuking the IS/AF in my phone without some kind of vibration dampening.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geekboy posted:

We’ve gone full quadlock in this house. On all the motorbikes, a few of the bicycles, and there’s one mounted in the van.

I’ve caught a phone falling out of a ram mount, but never had issues with quadlock.

If you use the right phone mounts on the RAM ball it's fine. I've used the phone specific mounts for a long time, they cradle the phone tightly and worked great:

But they seem to be getting away from making these as every time I've gotten a new phone it's been longer and longer of a wait for the mount to come out, and they still don't have one for the non-max 14 Pro. So I went with this one:

It's rock solid and I think it would take a pretty severe crash for the phone to come out of it. Very firm clamping from top to bottom, and you can adjust the sides in as well. I'd never ever use the cheap looking X grip one though, no way I'd trust that on a bike

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Midjack posted:

I was hoping for some more unseasonably warm days but it looks like that well has run dry so it's time to hibernate. We'll get back out in the spring.

Love that color. Almost bought one but it was a total mess.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Midjack posted:

Was that the one from a few weeks ago that had all the locks drilled out and gave every indication of being stolen yet somehow the seller had a title?

Lol yep.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I specifically requested these the last time I got tires mounted and they ignored me :argh:

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

I just ordered the first farkles for the new-to-me SV650 - heated grips. It's a must-have for me since they make the practical rideable season where I live nearly twice as long. They're pretty nice to have on a low setting on long rides even on relatively balmy days too. Aftermarket grips work great and aren't much trouble to install either. Don't buy a bike on account of it having heated grips, just retrofit them. If you ever wondered if you want some you definitely want some.

I'm a huge advocate of heated grips for the same reason, and yep I love running them on low even when it's not that cold out. Takes the edge off and lets me wear less bulky gloves.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You might be able to play with the adjustment at both the lever and the clutch cover to bring it in some, but simpler would just be an adjustable lever yeah.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

also if they're rotated too far up you'll give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome.

rotate them so that your wrists are straight in line with your arms.

This is huge and should be the first thing you do on any new to you bike. They always seem to be way too high out of the box and a lot of people just leave them like that.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

Agreeing with supradog about the navigation BTW - it's distracting and as a new rider you're better off riding with your head up from your dash and get lost than having a computer screen to look at (the same goes for trying to ignore your other instruments as much as possible too!). A helmet equipped with bluetooth speakers and turn-by-turn navigation by computer voice is what I used for the first two years when I needed navigation and it's way safer than a screen IMO.

Nthing this. Keep the phone in your pocket, if you need nav, do it over bluetooth as needed. I used my phone on my handlebars a few times until I realized how freaking distracting it is. Eyes up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm very happy with my Sena 30K, I've heard recordings of what comes through the other end and it's nice and clear. Phone calls are fine too, the other person never has an issue understanding me and I've also had people say they had no idea I was on the bike. I'm also using the small wired mic stuck to the chin bar and not the boom mic.

My group all runs Sena and they work great until we need to loop somebody in with a Cardo or non-mesh Sena, that's always a pain in the rear end.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

All this gear/neutral talk and no mention of electric bikes?
What I remember from my LiveWire demo ride is no neutral, no gears, which I suppose makes sense in an EV

EVs are kind of always in neutral which sucks if you need to park on any kind of incline. I keep a velcro strap on board to clamp the front brake.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Seriously, I wish earpro was lumped in with ATGATT discussions. I rode for 10+ years before starting to wear ear plugs, and went to way too many loud concerts as well. My hearing is hosed and tinnitus is the cherry on top.

Wear earpro, y'all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Do this for sure, but also know you can go ride at the track "on your own" for a fraction of the price and still learn a lot if you have the right approach. These are the providers in the area

Z2 Track Days
Fun Track Dayz
Carters@theTrack
Pacific Track Time

I haven't ridden with PTT, but they have a good reputation from what I've seen. There is "Yamaha R World" at Sonoma on August 15. It's "only" $200 (half of what it normally costs) and there will be a load of Yamahas there you can demo, if you're so inclined. Anyway feel free to PM me if you're interested in any track stuff in NorCal. I know it can be kind of intimidating if you've never gone before.

I'm doing R World at NJMP in a few weeks, looking forward to it. Only $99 out here too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

changing gear oil is for suckers (ie the next owner)

It takes all of 45 seconds on the FJR so I'm going to do it anyway. 21k miles and no real service history from the previous owner so why not.

I was also pleasantly surprised how easy the oil change was on this thing, didn't have to remove a single panel or part to get it done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

Have you decided what method you'll use to get the front wheel off the ground?

I shouldn't need to until it's tire time (which may be sooner than I want, the Contis the came on it are cupping) but I'll probably do center stand + jack/wood under the exhaust. Once I have the wheel off I'll lower the forks onto something stable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I would suggest stacking blocks under the forks to match the height of the wheel or just leaving it on the jack, if it pitches too far forwards it'll just roll off the stand

That's basically what I've done in the past- two jack stands at the same height as the front wheel with wood spanning them to lower the forks onto.

e: like so:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Around here that's not so much a spidey sense as just looking for the "TAXI" sign.

Same but Amazon vans

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

-Get a proper bike bluetooth com set. Cardo and Sena are the big players. since the speakers is mounted in the helmet there is nothing that can fall out or get snagged when putting the helmet on and off.

This, but also wear earplugs.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Signed up for the Total Control advanced course to take place in the last week of June on Pittsburgh's race track

I’ll be there! Look out for the banana yellow SV.

Did it last year and it was a riot and what got me into track days. The fact that it’s free is the cherry on top.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MSPain posted:

I want to go to an instructional track day because I think that's the next step in improving my riding skills. The track near me requires one piece race suits (or two pieces that zip together), and those are real expensive. I don't plan on making track days into a lifestyle, more of a one off thing, and I don't want to buy a thousand dollar suit for a single event. It doesn't seem like anyone around here offers rentals for race leathers. I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up against this. What do people do if they just want to go to the track on special occasions?

The $600 Sedici from CG/Zla is competent, that's what I'm using now. Or get a used one, plenty of used but perfectly serviceable suits to be found on the trackday FB groups/forums for $300ish. If you're truly never going to use it again just sell it on afterwards, you may not get all your money back but consider it a rental fee.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phy posted:

I've been thinking about Track Day Bruh for the last year or so too. With used suits obv you can just try it on, but how does it work with buying online? Do you end up getting a couple different sizes and returning the ones that don't fit?

I guess you could go that route. They all post their size/measurements but I agree nothing better than actually trying one on. I'm lucky to have both a Cycle Gear and a Revzilla store nearby so I was able to try it on in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Tuesday? I'll be on an FZ6

I took the intermediate last year. I'm guessing this is more of the same just maybe at higher speeds or tighter cones

I’m planning on doing Mon & Tues, that’s what I did last year (registered for Mon and did a walk in for Tues)

It’s less drills and cones and more of a track day with classroom time between sessions. It rules.