Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's a practice thing. I already knew how to track-stand a bicycle due to using clipless pedals and shoes. Balancing a big bike is the same, tbh. If you've got your legs locked to the tank like Savvy here is saying, you use your entire body to balance the bike. Being connected to the bike is really important though, because otherwise you're just trying to noodle it around with the handlebars and maybe by moving your knees out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It will become second nature to where you don't have to consciously think about it.*
In my opinion, this isn't really about being able to balance for x seconds at a stop, but rather having that level of control of and feedback from the bike, which benefits you everywhere, at every speed.

*you'll have to adjust a bit going to a new and unfamiliar bike, but the principle remains the same.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that bike available on the US market?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yep. Pushed the Vee out of the garage today, got ready to head in to work. Then I get a call from a manager to discuss some technical problem and so I sit in the garage in full gear while this is taking place. When the call was finally over 25 minutes later I said gently caress IT, pushed the bike back in the garage, and peeled out of my gear.
Sometimes you gotta know when not to ride in to work.

took a nap instead

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
For me, it's loudness control on the Monkey with a Yoshi pipe and non OEM air intake system.
2nd gear in town - loud, lots of deceleration pops.
3rd gear - you probably won't hear me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I took my test on my Monkey. I had excellent maneuverability and control, the instructor had a chuckle, and I passed.
I'm now licensed for any bike lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
At lights that I know will take a while, yeah

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
All this gear/neutral talk and no mention of electric bikes?
What I remember from my LiveWire demo ride is no neutral, no gears, which I suppose makes sense in an EV

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Try pushing a large, cold bike around with just the clutch pulled in and get back to me

Or kickstart it like that lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It can be a small, light bike. My old KTM250 was almost impossible to kick start cold, in gear

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Get a go pro

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
War stories, I like to call them

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Check mirrors, mash cancel, shift up needlessly, repeat

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Spiggy posted:

If I try hard enough I'm going to hit seventh eventually.

Me finding nothing but emptiness past 4th :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You need to expect that on every ride, at every intersection or more frequently.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MSPain posted:

i took my first long-ish ride this past weekend

seattle to yakima via i90 and the canyon byway. took about 2.5 hours, and then another 2.5 the next day to get home.

yakima isn't the greatest place on the planet, but i wanted to see what was on the other side of the cascades, and the canyon road was amazing

the enfield performed admirably

The old highway/canyon route between Yakima and Ellensburg is amazing. Yakima, not so much, but it also does have it's nice spots with great food if you know where to look.
I lived in Richland for 20 years and my oldest went to trade school in Yakima just a couple years ago.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What is this "parking" bullshit. I simply ride wherever I go, into the store, and dump things into the top box.
Stop being silly squids

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Spot on, that's what I do.

I'll add that on my dune bikes, the first step is to use high pressure air to blow sand off the chain. And everything else, really

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Once you do that enough times you remember to cover what's behind the chain you're spraying, as much as possible.
A sheet of paper works but there are also products you can buy.

I don't remember exactly what I'm using for lube. It's whatever the local shop has as generic o-ring chain lube, and generic regular chain lube. Both in spray bottles.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 25, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's no need to filter down at all, if it's a motorized vehicle on the same road as you then it is trying to kill you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

It’s finally raining here in Portland and I’m actually kind of looking forward to putting on my rain gear and turning on my heater grips.

But I probably won’t ride anywhere today because the first time it rains after a long period of … not, all of the road grime and oil gets washed off and can cause some weird slick spots that are bad enough in a car but could really gently caress you up on your bike.

I remember being out the first time it rained in a while last year and being stuck in some traffic, watching the oil and gasoline make patterns in the water that was standing on the road.

It’s something I’m glad I didn’t have to learn about the hard way and want to be sure no one else does, either.

Yeah, first time in months I took the car to work.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I drag my heels for low to medium speed slowdowns.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:allears:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Love my Vee precisely because it's like a Camry.
Zero personality, all utility. It's a commuting appliance for me to get to and from work.
Predictable, reliable, always the same. If that bike got stolen or burned down tomorrow, I'd give zero fucks and get something else.
It's not always necessary to own a special, temperamental, interesting, whatever bike.

I put 5400 miles on it in one year of ownership. 95% of that was commuting.
If I'm going somewhere else, it's the Monkey or the dirtbikes for real fun

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I had a 20 year old KTM 250 for a couple of years and while that bike had plenty of problems, the carb always worked great. It was rare to not have it start on the 3rd kick at most when cold, even in winter

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The only bike I've never dropped is the Monkey

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like fueling up my car from the back seat with the window down. Don't have to get out!

I live in Oregon and do personally know people in their 40's who've never pumped their own gas.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Toe Rag posted:

They're only safer for the people inside. It boggles my mind how high the hoods are on modern 1-ton trucks. I can only imagine the difference in injury and/or death getting hit by this versus a "normal" passenger car, eg a Camry.

You should need a commercial drivers license IMO.

I rode around in a rented uhaul pickup this weekend. Standard cab, short bed, Chevrolet half ton. Should not be a big truck.
It was still a pain in the rear end to park anywhere, partially because it's giant and mostly because you can't see over the 6ft tall brick hood.

And then I'd look at adjacent parking spaces with much larger trucks, lifted 18 inches. Lol. What does anyone use these for???

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I mean... You can't really haul stuff in the bed because it's too tall.
Can't really tow with it until you get a giant drop hitch so your trailer is level.
Getting up into the cabin also seems like a tremendous pain in the rear end.

What the gently caress

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My FIL burned down his 1962ish C10 while working on it.

I've set a jetski on fire that I was working on at the time, but it got extinguished quickly. It can happen.
(I also learned in the following days just how hosed everything in contact with the dry extinguisher powder was and that it includes the carb throats.)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

A general rule is to not be anywhere near the cars as much as possible

This is one big reason why dirt bikes are cool and good.

but lawdy, SxS are 10x worse than regular cars

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And you get to toot not just your own horn!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I keep having a problem with this scenario: two lanes reduce down to a single lane.
Homey behind me tries to pull up alongside me AFTER the painted lane divider markers have already disappeared, i.e trying to pass me in my own lane.
WTF?

I've started to just put on turn signals and take the middle of the now combined lane. Ppl get mad, I do not give a gently caress. As soon as the painted lines are gone, it's a single lane.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Just open the throttle

That's not usually an option because traffic is slow and piled up in front of me.
Americans do not understand zipper merges.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

unimportantguy posted:

This is one thing I love about California. I took two weeks off for the major storms but other than that I've been riding the whole year round.

Same here near Portland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Took a ride to Cycle Gear with my kid today. He rode the monkey one way and the VStrom back home.
I got myself some new gloves, he got a new visor and pin lock insert