Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a Givi 35l waterproof rucksack which is excellent. Ride to work most days with a laptop, change of clothes and running kit in it.

https://www.givi.it/m/soft-bags/Others/UT802

There's not a lot to it, just a single compartment and a little zipped section inside. Straps are well placed. I don't notice when it's on.

Edit: it also comes with bungees to use as a tailpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I checked out the specs for that Guzzi, how did they manage to get that little power out of the engine? 52hp from 744cc? And it weighs 209kg?

Extraordinary

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rolo posted:

The guy going in front of me somehow high sided at the very end, fell off the bike and broke his ankle in two places.

When I did my UK bike license course the other student had a fairly big crash. He just failed to turn at all and went straight on at a corner, the bike came to an abrupt stop in a ditch and he went cartwheeling into a field at 40mph.

It was actually a pretty good lesson for me to see in a very graphic way how violent heaving a bike crash is. He was also a complete dick and while I wouldn't say he actively deserved it he was fine afterwards and it was fairly amusing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Booked my CBT for next Sunday, can't wait :yayclod:

I have fond memories of the guy who turned up to the one I did in a blue and white one piece racing suit.

He was also on my direct access course and catapulted himself through a hedge halfway through the week.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did this yesterday, thought I was never going to get the hang of clutch and throttle by hand then suddenly we're out on the road and behaving like real traffic. I passed, couple of stalls but nothing dangerous. Had so much fun, going to go look at bikes later this week.

Yeah it's quite a surprise to go from knocking over cones in a playground to suddenly being in traffic. I did my CBT in Vauxhall so my first time riding on road was on the massive roundabout / one way system there by MI6. Bit of a baptism of fire.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The only thing that bike screams is "you should have bought a Scrambler"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How much are they asking total? Feels like it probably isn't that much less than a new one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's a totally fine bike for OP, it's not a TL1000S or something. Obviously it's enough bike to to gently caress yourself up if you're an idiot but, like, dont do that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's a scooter tyre size so there will be loads. I don't have any experience with those but maybe someone with a Grom can advise. Looks like your rear tyre is a 130 btw.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol I think that's a pretty rare event and I haven't ever checked my gear selector bolt before riding.

"Oh no I didn't check my swingarm bolt torque before riding, and now my wheel has fallen off"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't have a handle on how slow a Shadow 750 is but you're probably more at risk of a crash than an actual newbie.

Fake edit: it's apparently 43hp so sufficiently gutless. Not my thing at all and you'd probably be better off with the thread standard rec of a MT-03

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

T Zero posted:

Basically everything except collision, which would almost double my premium. I didn't think it was worth spending close to 1/3rd of my bike's value on insurance alone.

The limits on US vehicle insurance are always amazingly low. In the UK they're always several million £, and here in Switzerland my bike insurance limit is 100m CHF. I'm not sure how you could do that much damage with a motorbike, maybe somehow crash it into a F-35?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My 2018 Fireblade is 727 CHF fully comp. But there are a lot of no claims discounts going on in there.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

T Zero posted:

What other bikes should I try?

What do you want to do with it? Have you tried a SV650?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does your bike have a horn?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thank you, much appreciated.

*edit: ordered a nice DID X-ring chain, new front sprocket, new ZF dual alloy/steel rear sprocket. Oh and a chain tool, I don't think my MTB ones are up to the job :v: Reasonably spendy day but if the X-ring chains are that good then maybe I won't have to adjust chain tension quite as often and that's probably worth the money right there over the cheap chain the bike currently has.

Is this for the 125 you bought a few months ago? That's extremely fast wear if the bike has trashed a rear sprocket already.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol OK then!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For helmets you need to go to a physical shop and try them on, especially as a newbie there's no way to tell which one suits you by just looking on the internet.

That said, if you look through this thread and the bike gear one, people are generally happiest with a Shoei or an Arai, and unless you're on a super tight budget you should try on one of those.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

numberoneposter posted:

What up my Ninja!

Layer Dan?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When I did my bike test in the UK, which admittedly was a long time ago, you would fail if you didn't ride at the speed limit. Riding under the limit indicates the candidate is insufficiently competent/confident to be allowed the hayabusa they're planning to get as a first bike.

My city has a blanket 30kph limit between 10pm and 7am, it's really awesome because the city is q u i e t at night.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sports bikes (actual ones not ninja 650s) absolutely are better than parallel twin shitters on twisty roads, just not in a way that helps new riders. Riding the bigger mountain roads around here on a super sharp handling bike is phenomenal. The super twisty roads a supermoto will be more fun but that doesn't mean a sports bike is bad.

Excess power is more of a hindrance to fun, it teaches bad habits and if you're never able to open it up then what's the point.

I'm not saying they're good for beginners, they're not, but pretending there's no reason to enjoy a cbr600rr over a cb500 is pretty silly imo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's the giant galvanised meccano bracket attached to the exhaust and rear peg hanger? Sidecar attachment?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Glad you and the bike are OK, JSB.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LimaBiker posted:

You absolutely get dinged for pulling in the clutch too soon. This goes for both car driving (stick shift is standard here) and bike riding.

You shouldn't overdo it either. Don't keep it the clutch engaged if you'd be lugging the engine if you'd go from engine braking to driving the wheel, and if you're coming to a definitive stop, it's also not always necessary to shift down to 1st, let out your clutch again and in 2 seconds pull it back in again. Though that varies per bike a bit. On my SV i can pull away in 2nd gear just fine if i unexpectedly have to accelerate again, as long as i'm rolling at any speed faster than a good walking pace.
On the FZR, i really gotta shift down to 1st because 1st on that thing is ridiculously tall, let alone 2nd, and it's not exactly happy at low revs.

You previously said you coast in the last 20m to junctions which is exactly what gets dinged on tests.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Here in Finland you fail your test unless you stop the engine by jamming your balls into the carburettors. That's why you only ever see 2-cylinder bikes on the road here :science:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

This exact reason is why bikes with a broad, useable spread of power are almost always faster than bikes that only make big power at a billion rpm, despite having a smaller number. If the useable range is so narrow that you're always either bogging down and waiting for it to wake up, or running out of revs before the exit, or having to run super restricted lines to keep the engine on the boil, it literally makes no difference how big the number is because you're riding slow and horsepower can't change that. This is (one reason) why v-twins are more fun than fours, why four stroke gp bikes were always going to dominate the smokers, why a lazy 750 is better than a screaming 600 and so on. Take this newfound knowledge, apply it to the Harley Davidson conversation we had a little while ago, expand your miiiiind....

But this is also why small bikes are better for learning - big broad power is a crutch that absolves you of thinking about things like gears and rpm and the 'right' way of doing things, so in that sense, as amateur as you might feel right now, you're already at massive advantage compared to someone starting on a Harley or 650 twin.

I love the "2-stroke GP bikes too difficult"---------> ??? ---------> "Harley good actually" progression.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

lighten up, dude.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

excellent posting

I think OP should try a SV

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you're running wide and not going very fast the issue isn't to do with your bike, it's how you're setting up for and taking the corner. Make sure you're on the outside of your lane going into the corner and leave your turn-in later. Later turn-in means you'll be tighter on the exit. Brake in to the apex, gradually letting off pressure.

Look for where the apex of your line is going to be; that's where you're going to be at maximum lean, so you can time your movements through the corner.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

trackday, or at some point you're going to have to accept it's not really very safe, and just find a nice road and enjoy it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuymmgrZI4

I lost it at GRIMSBY

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Invalido posted:

There's no place to mount a phone that doesn't foul the fairing or ignition lock.

You should be able to do something like this

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Try a Scrambler 800 and a SV650. The small Monster always looks a bit weird to me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

As much as I want to see a Versys 300 with full Ohlins, you should probably get a bike that's more suitable for the track.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

736 CHF for both bikes for the equivalent of fully comprehensive insurance. It was 727 for just the Fireblade so it would have been stupid not to have bought the Ducati.

I don't think that is too bad considering how expensive everything is here.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A CBR250 to a Z900 is a big step. The thing with big i4 engines is they behave like a 600 up to something like 6000rpm and then there's a huge tidal wave of power. While that's fun per se it can actually get in the way of enjoying your ride and stop you improving.

An i4 Hornet would be a good thing to try as well as the sv650 and MT-07 usual suspects. 660 tuono if they've fixed the teething problems?

If you're determined to get a big bike at least go all the way and get a Tuono V4

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

The majority of no prisoners crashes are morons getting what they deserve (Chinese/Russian/Indian snuff clips aside)

I can't speak for other countries but usually when I see a car on the wrong side of the road nowadays, it's because general driving competence has plummeted to the point where they're unaware that they're even doing something wrong or simply unable to color inside the lines.

Swiss people suck at driving in various ways but the worst is Valaisan drivers who cut every single corner. If there's someone coming the other way it's 50:50 they'll be in the middle of the road and will swerve out of the way at the last second.

This is on mountain roads with huge drops off the side. Madness.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do you definitely need a one piece suit? It may be easier to mix and match jacket and trousers, and you can have a matching zip sewn onto the other pièce so they join together.

Also have you tried moving the armour around? It's normally velcroed in and you can move it a couple of cm.

Otherwise, time to get the credit card out
https://www.bksleather.co.uk

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What bike is that? The dials look German

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can see a wheel's rotation much more clearly than the car's initial movement.
Cars move into spaces in traffic, be extra careful when one opens up.