Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm en route to get my motorcycle license beginning next week and I am facing the shopping phase. I got a really nice helmet (Schuberth C3 Pro) and now I'm faced with having to find a jacket (and pants). But so far I am not really finding anything that can support my figure, everything seems to assume a V-build. The US brands from the OP don't seem to be available here. Can any eurogoons recommend anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I had good luck with Rev'It. Im not sure how much our markets would overlap, but you can of course check Yoko, Sinisalo, Rukka alongside with the Alpinestars.

Which country are you in?

Austria, so basically the same selection as Germany.

Bought my helmet in matte black, having second thoughts if I should have gone with white. Any thoughts while I can still exchange it?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
On the topic of helmet decor, is there a place I can get some inspiration/see what other people have done to their headcans?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Frazzbo posted:

Not sure you should be putting stickers of any type onto a helmet. I remember warnings about voiding warranties and so on, and manufacturers saying that they could not be held responsible for some unknown adhesive interacting unfavourably with the surface of the helmet. In any case, you're right: why the hell would you want to gently caress up such a good looking lid as that Shoei? Kawasaki much?

The friend I went helmet shopping with told me the same myth which I found quite questionable, turns out Schuberth agrees and has it listed in their FAQ as a thing that is definitely OK.
It's basically the same as sticking things on cars, just make sure to use compatible adhesive for the surface.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Welp, turns out a protective equipment manufacturer is literally seated one town over and they not only do direct sales but apparently have no problem with someone stopping by and trying on stuff. I like them already, and their prices are ridiculously low. If the quality passes inspection I'm most likely buying my equipment locally :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Martytoof posted:

Finally, a canvas which I can use to settle strangers’ questions about which cloud platform and programming language I prefer. At highway speeds.

aws and nodejs *pops wheelie*

You could have an entire answer card on your helmet, allowing yout to just point at things to talk to other people on the road. Brb, patenti g this idea!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
My Honda also has the 12V outlet pre-wired for her pleassure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I overtightened my rear axle nut by 10 Nm, this should be fine, right? I put the torque wrench to 98 instead of 88...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

That's only 12% over the spec and +/- 12% is not an issue. As noted, cheap torque wrenches probably aren't even calibrated accurately enough for that to matter. You won't break a bolt at 112% of rated torque.

I forget which thread it was but you can watch that video I posted a few weeks back of the guy snapping multiple bolts off in his Ducati. He hits the rated torque, continues about a quarter turn past that, then another half turn, then another half turn, and then it finally breaks somewhere after that, at I'd guess like 400% of the spec. You're fine

Oh yeah I saw that and I'm not worried about the screw shearing off at all, hell I already figured 10 Nm should be way too small a tolerance to really matter, but I'm still mad at loving up such an avoidable mistake.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I have/had the same issue with the seams on gloves, the only pair I feel OK in are the Held ones I got, but they still do have those seams.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I don't like to ride at night because I am already paranoid about anything on the road surface and also my headlight is fixed to the frame and doesn't swivel woth my handlebar so lighting around turns is not that great. I have no good reason to ride at night anyway, so I just don't do it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I was taught to stand the bike up, brake hard, then lean hard.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'm kinda anxious about winterization, but it's rapidly approaching. Got some fuel stabilizer, a cover and ACF50 to prevent any rust.
My plan is to wash it, apply the ACF50, probably lube the chain just in case, drive it to it's winter home and then cover exhaust and intake before finally putting it on the center stand. Anything I have missed?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

moxieman posted:

Battery tender if you want, carpet squares to put under your tires if you’re neurotic.

Oh ill take the battery out, forgot that.

pun pundit posted:

Or just a bit of cardboard under the center stand to insulate it, if you're setting the bike on concrete.

What's the point of this? Insulate from what?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pun pundit posted:

If your bike sits on a stand on concrete with any air circulation in the room the static electricity will ground through the stand, increasing corrosion. At least that's what I've heard.

Huh. Never heard this before.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Helmets are like underwear. You don’t buy them used, you don’t borrow them unless something really lovely has happened and when you think it’s time for a new one, it is

You can also turn it inside out to use it just one last time.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I got a modular because it was the only thing that fit my huge noggin at the local stores. Also I definitely ride "slow" so maybe I should wear a warning jacket so people will know to overtake me in corners. Oh wait.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I feel way to anal about maintaining my bike properly, had my battery charger set to non-AGM mode for probably just a few minutes and I'm already trying to look up if it caused damage to the battery.

Then again, the battery doesn't make it that clear that it's not just any olld 12V battery.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

Unless you accidentally connected a 24v charger to a 12v battery or put it in some sort of mega quick-charge 100A mode, there is absolutely no possibility of damage. Lead-acid is lead-acid and most chargers do not differentiate between AGM and flooded cells. The distinction between those modes probably is just +/- a few amps of charge rate here and there, which makes no real difference.

Well apparently the biggest difference is in leaving it hooked long term and what Voltage level it is supposed to be kept at.
I know that my worrying is blown way out of proportion, but I know too little about batteries to let articles that say 'never charge AGM in regular mode' not worry me that I shortened the lifespan by 2 days :v:

Sorry, I know I am a ridiculous person.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I still want protectors I can just throw over my regular pants, but nothing has panned out so far.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I really need a solution for music, but I would want it to be helmet mounted, and the solutions I have tried all put too much pressure on my ears. Schuberth's native solutions are too expensive to just 'try out'.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

U-Line makes a pair of cheap, really low profile speakers to fit behind the cheek/ear pads and they didn't put any pressure on my ears at all. My helmet has cut outs for them to fit into though. The Cardo I just got has similarly low-profile speakers that dropped right into the same spot, also with no pressure.

There are cutouts in the C3, but I fear my ears might rely on that space.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I tried to do a powerwheelie with my CB500X in a private parking lot once and all I achieved was learning that I can't do powerwheelies. Since I don't actually want to wheelie that was good enough for me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Is there a good guide for swapping to non-ABS? I am contemplating getting a winter bike for cheap and that rules out ABS.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Same here, pretty much all my issues with slow speed tight maneuvering during training was because I had a economic car driver mindset and didn't want my engine to rev significantly while using the clutch. Once I switched instructor and got a better answer to "Should I maybe be revving it a lot more even if it feels wrong?" I learned that you should just rev it a lot and then do everything with the clutch. Felt terrible at first to have my engine roaring up every time, but once I knew that this was what I needed to do everything became *a lot* easier.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I really want a cheap, small displacement bike, what's the best time to go shopping for them? There seems to be no more bikes between 125 and 500 whatsoever being sold new this season, so I have to be smart with the used market.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
During the first few laps the girl in front of me managed to ride the driving schools bike up a dirt gradient and into the property fence. The owner wasn't pleased and honestly I thought he was very unprofessional getting mad at a new rider for making a mistake but it's w/e. Looked spectacular when you are on like your third lap ever and suddenly the bike you are kind of following goes flying.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Quick quesion, was on a guided (legally mandated) ride today and the instructor mentioned to us that we really should be using the clutch with only two fingers.
I would have to really adjust my clutch lever A LOT to achieve this without squeezing my other fingers. What's your take on this?

Also, whoever posted a really concise quick shift tutorial on this forum really i fected me with it. I sometimes worry if I am overusing it and shouldn't be doing it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I kinda want one for convenience but I am not willing to pay the motorcycle tax on those stupid mounts and boxes. Especially since I would only use it sporadically.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Riding offroad isn't legal here, so even though I'd love to, I can't.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CITIZENS ARREST!!!

You are also off-road, officer!!!!!!

*gets shot without question*

Actually no, police shooting people is also illegal here.

I am looking for roads that give me plausible deniability. But riding in private forests will get you murdered.
Land owners are known to put up snatchwires that kill mountainbikers once in a while.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I am pretty sure 100% are owned by someone here. I just need to somehow befriend someone that owns a large plot and is not using it for agriculture I guess. But I'm not the networking type.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
We have a very similar law where you can use all forests, public and private, to your hearts content, but only on foot.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Learning to just rev it "no, higher" was the most important thing for me. I still cruise really low because I am an eco driver.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Steakandchips posted:

1. Get earplugs.

2. When wearing earplugs, you'll not be as worried about how loud the bike is, which will make you more likely to rev it more.

3. Rev it more. Give it lots of revs. From a stopped position, with enough revs, provided you don't whack open the clutch, i.e. you open it at slow or medium pace, you should not ever stall.

4. a. If, during emergency stops, you pull in the clutch at the same time, it won't matter if you're accidentally giving a bit of throttle. Pulling in the clutch will also stop the bike from stalling if you emergency brake to a dead halt on the street. This is not that important though, seeing as emergency stopping is primarily about stopping safely; who gives a poo poo if you have to start it up again and whack it into first?

4. b. Your front brake lever may need to be rotated to be "in line" with where your hands fingers naturally open to, to allow you to grab it instinctively and not gently caress with the throttle overmuch (or at all) when you do. A similar rotational adjustment may be needed for the clutch if you feel it's also not in line with where your fingers naturally are when your hand is open, palm down.

5. Just get out and ride in quiet neighbourhoods/countryside a lot, you'll improve with practice. For reference, I did about 2000 miles on my 125 before I passed my A license test in the UK (I know you are now in America, but it's good to practice on something small, which you are doing).

4a) General wisdom around my parts is, that you should always use the clutch, because during high stress braking you can easily whack on the gas which increases stopping distance if the brakes have to fight the motor. Having done emergency stopping drills just yesterday at 100kph/60mph I can confirm that a lot of people do something wrong every other time. Forgetting the clutch is one of those, but you should really practice everything (clutch, front and back brakes as well as locked arms) in order to have the highest chance of getting the shortest brake distance.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Greg12 posted:

people with fairing bikes: without headwind, what holds your torso up? what keeps you from just flopping forward onto the tank?

Core strength.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I don't understand all the discouragement, I got into motorcycles as a hobby, but I have found it to be one of the most convenient and cheap forms of commuting. Good gear doesn't have to be expensive, it's just not gonna be the fanciest stuff.

However, having looked at electric bikes, tats a different story entirely, cost is a lot higher and not worth it other than as a toy. IMO

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It can't hurt to have it but I have long put out of my mind the idea that I can make someone pay enough attention to matter.

A friend of mine is a firefighter, and keeps a now-several-hours-long compilation video of people pulling out on, merging into, cutting off, and otherwise crashing into his massive red truck with the hi vis reflective stripes and flashing lights and sirens. I figure if people are gonna merge literally into the side of a fluro red truck that's making wee woo noises, there's nothing I can possibly do to stop them merging into me on the bike.

You can, by driving passively. Emergency vehicles don't really have that luxury because of the inherent urgency.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Is there a good/official resource for power curves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I wave at motorcycle cops because they are just cool riders here, but my cops aren't american cops so IDK.