Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Nice OP!

I'm curious about the use of earplugs while commuting in the city. Isn't it dangerous to muffle external sounds like sirens, horns and revving engines? I'd imagine that with the somewhat limited view from inside the helmet and the relatively small mirrors any extra world feedback would be useful.

Also, don't you actually HAVE to take driving lessons in the States? From what I've read in the OP it seems that the MSF is recommended but optional.

Sagebrush posted:

Retro-styled motorcycles, on the other hand, do have a certain appeal to them, in the simplicity and classic aesthetic of their design. The new Triumph Bonneville, for instance, has sold extremely well on this basis alone. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of bikes with a classic look that are also suitable for beginners; usually they're too heavy and/or too powerful to start on. The Yamaha SR400 is about the only model in current production that has the vintage look and is appropriate for a beginner. Of course, you can also look around for a genuine vintage bike like the Honda CB/CL350 (1968-74) -- and speaking as someone who bought a non-running CL350 as his first bike and learned to fix it up, I do not recommend it if your primary interest is riding a motorcycle instead of working on a motorcycle. Feel free to ask for more details if you're considering this route.

Yamaha SR400; Honda CL350 (1968)

Really, your best option if you want a vintage/vintage-styled bike is to get the Ninja 250, ride it for a year to build up your skills, and then re-evaluate your attitudes and test-ride some of the options (Triumph, Moto Guzzi, Royal Enfield, Ural, or actual classics) to see what you think of them with some experience under your belt.

How about the 2017 Suzuki Van Van? I love its styling and it seems like a fun little bike to start with at 200cc and relatively low pricetag (around $4500 I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

I have to say I really like the direction they're taking. And the TW is gorgeous :swoon: