Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Protip: for the frustration of a uhaul rental you could cube the frustration and buy a harborfreight trailer on sale, throw a moto rail on the fucker and done.

~6 years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Help.

I don't have the disposable income to pay for a bike, gear, and insurance/tags.

I CAN'T HELP THAT I WANT IT :qq:

Take on a night job and wear a skirt. works for me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You'd love a duke 640. All the comfort of a MX bike with one of the most punishingly shaky singles I've ever seen. 250's are a pleasant tickle by comparison.

I want to ride/own a 640 someday. Just to know what it feels like to straddle a paintshaker set to 11 at the local hardware store.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rs-taichi-gp-evo-racing-gloves/

I've DD'd these for the last two years. they've scaphoid sliders which is reason A why i purchased them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
sooooo turn it inside out and wash then use for the next ride?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

EPS = ?

I am a motorcycle newbie, help me out here with the acronyms.

the sacrificial energy absorbing layer of the helmet that keeps your squishy bits working.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm game if you want extra eyes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
CF2s are good overkill. the toebox some say is too narrow, typical from Sidi. SRS models aren't waterproof. After a season or so the orange will fade a bit.

I've had a pair in that color for ~3 years. They're faded but structurally still holding up well. They're worth the coin after saving one ankle injury imo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I quit running clip masters about 7-8 years ago because of poo poo like this:

Clip broke in half midway between Birmingham and Atlanta, chain exited stage right. It wasn't the first but it was the last.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

small bikes suck
:hellyeah:

:frogout:

right arm posted:

I am not a 5'7" manlet with Low T and an IT degree :D

Yet you're on an ADV.

Slavvy posted:

Small light bikes are objectively better than big heavy ones and insisting otherwise is a 'poo poo rider' red flag similar to dragging your feet through the intersection or locked straight arms on a sportbike, sorry.

^this.

IMO Big bikes excel in two places. 1. where the rider has little to no skill in riding therefore using power as a false sense of security 2. Eating the expanse of miles while carrying the entire contents of an apartment at breakneck speeds between major cities in big dumb ole America.

Otherwise? Big bikes loving suck. Spoken as an owner of both large and small cc motos.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Spiggy posted:

My MT-03 arrived today and I spent about an hour driving through the apartment complex. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me, but in the upside I find out the complex next to mine has a network of roundabouts that I got to have fun on while I get over the fear of hitting the real roads.

e: as I was trying to get the bike chained up the dude in my complex with a Himalayan and an R 1200 invited me to go riding. One day and I can confirm the MT-03 is a "pick up random dudes" bike.

Go riding with them. That's all bikes, hope you like the raw gay power of motorcycles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After numerous interruptions on the road to buying a bike of my own, mostly house expenses, I was initially thinking on a KLR 650 or DR650, but given that I'll likely never do off road riding, I was looking at an mt03, though I've yet to test ride it. Are they decent bikes so far or best avoided?

dr650. No klrs.

had a klr, hated it. killed it, did the world a service.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Here's a guy on Reddit that I hope isn't any of you.

Dude needs a gopro.
...and a drz-sm.

LimaBiker posted:

If there was one for as cheap as the FZR, i would've gotten a 400cc bike like that. The FZR is really on the high end of how much power is still fun and usable on public roads.
Ah, that bloody N+1 rule is no joke either. I survived with one bike for years, but now i have two and instantly want a third.

I started on a fzr400/hybrid. sweet little machine that eventually had a yzf600 engine crammed into it. put six figures of miles on that bike. Two engines, 3 harnesses, 3 suspension overhauls. Push start only for like the first 3 years. It wound up being my only running vehicle several times. (lol degenerate rover/rovershop owner)
Small bikes are sublime as gently caress. I'd totally rock a tz250/fzr250r.

I didn't see the light until I rode a friend's shitbox drz supermoto. fzr was gone within like 4 months and a yz450F + yz250sm entered the chat.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't used one myself but supposedly the California Air Tools ones are the quietest compressors you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-10020C-Compressor/dp/B0188XBTLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWqHndbkVI

I have the compressor module without the tank. Can attest to its quietness.

at 'home' I use a 1950s shop compressor that's as quiet as the above. Prior to buying that I ran a tnt style bicycle pump.
not at 'home' I use the bikes built in compressor. Its not as quiet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Or just have enough engine displacement that you can take off from a standing stop in any gear.

Alternatively: go electric.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

What kinda chain lube you guys use?

wet.

(wax)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I don't think the ones he sells at trackdays have extra zippers added, though...

His booth at SBK-Laguna Seca in 2019 had rear zips. :ssh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hokay time to be a cranky rear end in a top hat for a minute. I went there with the owner back when I saw his wares at SBK and tried to give some feedback on what he's selling at race oriented events. He bounced off the feedback hard and took it as a personal insult rather than improve the line. What his stuff is like three years later, I don't really know. I won't ride with it.

Buttons and snaps? those are gonna dig into your wrists and catch on your gauntlets. It doesn't matter in the context of Dore-Alley fair in San Francisco. But on a track, It does.
Note none of the stitching is doubled or reinforced with some pulls already happening.

Who carries their wallet or lanyard full of security guard keys with them on a trackday onto the track? Nobody. It does not need this pocket. This is answering a question nobody asked. This zipper is in an area where its going to see abrasion on a slide.

Well, at least like the now 20 year old T-Age, it has a frontal relief zipper. Rear relief as you've seen, also included, those race sessions, anything can happen. Krystal's sliders and Grindrs are too irresistible sometime.

Speaking of products from Dainese.

I'd like double stitching at minimum for that kinda dough.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Seeing those close up shots, I would never ride fast in those.

That's my sentiments. Not any moto anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
skip the icon poo poo for fucks sake.
probably the scorpion too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I put 50,000 miles on an icon helmet. It involved taking a drill to it's visor pivots to drill out galled threads. Using 3M flexible adhesive to hold the base trim gasket on twice a year. Seasonal (every quarter to half year) replacement of the hinges and visors. The fake mx peak tried to fly the gently caress off at highway speeds.
All for a four loving pound almost $500 helmet with the latest in 1980s safety tech.
Buy a different lid, bro.

poo poo even joe rocket is better.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
OP if you want an old rear end bike to learn on and ride
Buy a dr650*.
They've not been updated since 1996 so you can go buy one from 2021 and still have that vintage nostalgic feel with bright new plastics and bold new graphics.

*pro-mode is putting supermoto wheels on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My first bike was a late 80s fzr400. It had been a trackbike most of its life and parked for a decade.

It had no lights, no cooling fan, no starter or battery, and the bare minimal to make it run. The original 400 blew up, it had a random fzr600 engine crammed in with questionable decisions and a litany of unknown parts.

It came with an uncut harness, that went in, put lights on it. got it running. one of the inner carbs' float valve failed. replaced all four. then diaphragms. then orings, then, then. I probably pulled the carbs 10 times before I put appreciable miles on the bike. To get to anything in that frame, the airbox or radiator have to come out.
18" rear tire, rapidly becoming no longer available in brand name.
Finally got it plated.
final drive parts, aluminum only, bike eats them aggressively.
Stator poo poo itself, it ate the old 80s regulators like candy, weird, it came with a few, I bought many more. I eventually just kept a second spare bolted to the bike.
the fzr engine started burning oil at a prodigious rate, like moreso than it usually did around a year or so into ownership. 400 or 600 engines were mostly not available locally but I did find a yzf600 engine and that's close enough.
More carb fuckery to get a yzf600 rack of ram carbs to work without the ram intake. Iirc it was a mix of the fzr rack and the yzf rack with jetting I had to setup without a known baseline. To pull the intake cam for valve checks meant dropping the engine. The radiator wasn't really big enough for the yzf engine, nor were there any easy alternatives. The sprocket was positioned differently than the fzr engines so that also had to be addressed by using other bike parts to get the sprocket in line with the rear wheel.

A few months after the engine swap the bike tried to kill me. I was riding home from the shop at night kind of spiritedly, and the bike lost power in a corner. like, full engine electrical loss. start to bring the bike vertical, get on the brakes, power backfed from the brakelight circuit to the ignition system, boom, engines alive again. annnnd it tries to highside.
Rewire #1, harness is beginning to fall apart. This was my only ride sometimes because my other degenerate rides were Land Rovers, sometimes four so at once.

I threw an emulator kit in the forks, that helped them greatly. It had a fox shock out back that was rebuildable by most any suspension shop. 18" tires, still a bastard, getting worse.

Fast forward a few years here. Rectifier number unknown dies on I15 in socal, in fast moving afternoon traffic, in front of a semi, ironically enough, on the way home from a cycle-salvage place having bought a shiny used R1 FH rectifier because I was o v e r the 80s-90s Yamaha rectifiers. Yet again this old rear end bike tries to kill me. Except this time when it dies, it also blows out a handful of lights and damages the cluster. Electric start dies around the same time again. I moving west in a matter of weeks so I didn't really have time to fix it. I threw new lights at it and rode it without instrumentation or a starter. It didn't have a catch can for coolant, but a little tube that ran from the radiator's overflow fitting upward alongside the windscreen. That's a fine enough temperature gauge. I met my now husband around this time. He'd make quips about the push-start beater fzr, given his newish ninja 650 that always worked, it was justified.
Cue rewire #2. Full rewire and modernization with a koso gauge. (hey its what was available at the time). I fixed the electric start again. newer switchgear sourced from Honda/Kawi/Yamaha. HID lighting, R1 tail lamp, Kawi 636 cooling fan + a random Yamaha R1 fan. I tried a pair of Spals with a nice fabricated shroud and it just sucked.
At this time, suspension need service, front brakes are shot. I found a gsxr750 front end with 6 pot calipers to throw under it, already valved and sprung for my weight. cue another rabbithole that ended with Ducati snowflake rotors backed by giant calipers on the stock fzr wheel with a custom axle my spouse and I machined. The bike was a w e s o m e again. Brakes that could stop an Airbus and suspension that better translated what the road, engine, and I fed into it.
But. I was living in Vegas now, the bike could pretty much only be ridden during the winter months. it would just run hot no matter what anytime the ambient temp was over 90ish. It had a heavily modified fzr600 radiator with less than 5mm of clearance in every direction between engine, bodywork, and cylinder head. There was no fix for it outside of a custom radiator and nah, not doing it. I even considered a secondary radiator like what old MV Agusta F4s do. 18" tires from Bridgestone are basically no longer available now and that's when I called it and sold the bike. I wasn't into Shinkos in that era of my riding career, I was thoroughly tired of buying final drive parts, and I wanted to ride more than just the winter.

I threw six figures worth of miles on this dumb bike from 2011 to 2014, two full rewires, at least two more partials, two engines, two racks of carbs, two suspension redesigns, two sets of bodywork and three tails, three stators, probably a half dozen rectifiers, countless tires and final drive parts.
My now husband liked this bike so much he went out and bought one shortly after I moved in with him. A later one with some really really nice upgrades. super stock, 400 engine, ready for racing in stock class, safety wired, case savers, perfect bodywork. It milkshakes the engine on his first ride. It spent 2 or 3 years apart. I put the engine back together and got it running in time to sell it as we were moving to San Francisco and it couldn't come.

TL;DR:
Old bikes are going to be hella needy. They are old. Miles and owner care kinda matter, but they are o l d. Plastics get brittle, rubber degrades.
You'll need to be creative in sourcing parts. Less can I get this at the dealer, or used from ebay. more what can I find that is close and adapt for this bike?
Electrics are poo poo. sometimes righteously so. Parts availability is usually nil in this department.
The carbs are going to be a source of hassle here and there with parts not easily available. Intake boots and such are getting easier to reproduce with 3D printing in TPU.
Suspension service parts should be available, however if something internal goes wrong, don't count on it.
You can get an old reasonably bike reliable. Don't expect it to be an appliance. Old vehicles have their quirks and they're going to let you down if you expect new Goldwing consistency.

There's this idea that its only going to be awesome, picture-esque, and instagram worthy. Reality is less in line with that.
Its like living in a van. The instagram picture perfect shots of a spotless sterile three-hundred-thousand dollar sprinter van but they don't talk about making GBS threads in home depot buckets after getting some bad road food.

It is not for everyone despite the lust to go there.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 6, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

I respect the hell out of that, but that just solidified I’m never buying something without a warranty. Maybe ever. Goddamn.

Okay, I’m never going to be without a bike that has a warranty. I reserve the right to also have a project on the side, but never without a main bike to just get around when I want/need to.

Hey and this is totally fine! My husband runs new poo poo and it works out for him (and me).
I've mostly run older bikes not out of necessity, but by choice. The only injected one being a 2008 wr250r in 2019, I kept it for a riding season then sold it on. Had a 2007 klr in 2014-2015 shortly after I sold the fzr, the yz supermoto, yz dirtbike, the benz, and the rovers because I was d o n e with needy poo poo. I killed it in about a year when a dirtbike tboned me. Go figure.

I'm currently running a 2004 ktm with closer to 100k-mi than not. Factory parts supplies for it are rapidly drying up by the year, aftermarket is still really solid. When it gets too old for daily duties/long trips I won't sell it but get a second bike(probably a riding appliance from this decade) to offset its use load.

*for me, I like the mechanical simplicity of a carburetored minimal-electronics bike. I severely dislike points ignition so there's limitations. I've no problem with electronics, it makes unapproachable bikes, approachable for those that don't have the skillset to enjoy the bike otherwise. It makes an otherwise unsettled chassis or an engine with unusual character refined. It's less cognitive load for the rider when the bike can manage itself. When I can get keyless go and radar cruise for a lot less than 30 grand(ugh, multistrada), I'm going all in on something newer. Till then? haha, no.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
bout a thou freedumb bucks per year full comp 100/300 limits africatwin/ktm adv.
bout a thou per year full comp 100/300 declared value policy on the house and its motive unit.

mid 30s/40s, dink,good credit, no points, etc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
tilt the bike over so the filter housing is mostly facing upward.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've ridden a pile of the earlier carbed ones and owned a r1 based on that same mill. Your experience pretty much sums em up.
Feels like wielding a dreadnaught till the tach ticks over 8 ish grand where you get this hand of torque from the hulk hisself propelling the fucker along.
The power delivery is a little less frantic than the R6 and the FZ1 is a little less frantic than the R1 but it never gets old nor is it easy to acclimate to how dumb of a bike those really are in terms of power.
It feels heavy as all hell in low speeds but eats miles on the highway like a luxury land yacht.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Spouse lost a phone on a ram mount a long time ago on a dual sport trip but that was long before the rubber retainer strap. It didn't stop me from using one at the time. Hobos in SF would run up and grab your poo poo off the bars while waiting at a traffic light and run off. Didn't happen to me but a coworker.

It did cause some damage to usb charging ports and phone camera image stabilizer hardware though. Like others said use a beater device.
I still run one in my vehicle but haven't on a bike in years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Everyone finds their own place.

And that's routing the half baked ktm pcv system through a 80s honda xr600l oil separator working like a pitot tube like contraption that barfs oil that isn't returned to the crankcase onto the chain at the front sprocket.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Every couple tanks of fuel road
about every other ride for dirt with a clean prior to lubing.
That's getting back into the give-a-poo poo-triangle Slavvy is talking about though.

Slavvy posted:

Now you just need a manual plunger hooked to the oil separator in case you hear the chain getting dry

ngl after spending the morning on the ktm and the afternoon working on a carbed alfa with electrical(fuel pump), ignition, and carburetor issues, I knew something felt amiss.

E: VVV: setting slack on my junk is uhhhh going by measurements I created cause ktm's were wrong, setting the screw adjusters till the tension is proper then kicking the back tire with it on the center stand and the axle nut slightly loose. It works fine on the side stand too. I understand it's a bit unorthodox.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 14, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't see the problem?

E: VVV he's right. This bike won't spin for poo poo.... The fzr... would... and easily.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 20, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
when the stator failed in the 950 several years ago I could bump it with a precision timed release of the clutch and tap of the starter switch otherwise it would just drag the rear tire.

The drz needed similar tricks when it was cold since the battery wasn't large enough, but hitting the kicker in unison with the starter switch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Reminder that auto carbs and bike carbs largely don't exist in the same space.

If the bike isn't running an aftermarket intake or pipe you'll have a better time.
If the bike has one or maybe two carbs rather than three four or six, you'll have a better time.
If you ride the bike at least every couple weeks, you'll have a better time.

when loving with bike carbs. change one thing. Ride it. Ride it hot. Take two sets of notes. One cataloging what was changed. One cataloging the outcome. It's ok to revert and go back and forth and mix one setting up a couple times. But catalog this as you go so you do not get lost.

If you think it's an ignition problem, it's carburetion. If you think it's carburetion, it's ignition.

Honestly this is a lot easier than hex editing roms that run on motorola 64ks that's running an engine. But much like hex editing a rom, there's some background knowledge and artistry involved.
Power commanders work by altering sensor values into the ecm. throttle position, map values, etc to fool the ecu into supplying more fuel, ignition advance, etc. This is in the realm of analog electronics for the most part, with maybe some i2c/spi bus fuckery with some of the more advanced map sensors.. Sort of like carbs. Sort of like the rom analogy above.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yes but you also got scared off of pirellis because they turned too good

also manual transmissions wrt ice power bands

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I ride my carbed bike like twice a month. It sat in a container for three years. cleaned one of its 8 jets and it's fine. I didn't even bother changing its oil when I dug it out.
No tender, it's literally running a salvaged ekg monitor backup battery to power the thing.
Every single time it lights off as if it were EFI and I can kill the choke which settles it to a low idle within 45 seconds.

idk, sucks to suck*.

However.

Steakandchips posted:

But the important thing to remember is:

I.e. EV > ICE.

* I realize that my experience is going to be vastly different than most. These days I am more into bicycles than moto anyway which, lol.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 12, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this. Very, very few genuinely interesting engines nowadays, especially when you factor what bikes those engines are in

yeuuuup. Anything modern has the personality of a toyota camry. Or an electric for that matter. At that point just skip all the chaff and go get a 35lb ebike with a liter ktm's worth of torque and about the same range as current e-motos to rip on.

Idk, that isn't for me. I get it that it's for some? I picked working in a velo shop over moto because of it.

No modern bike will ever live up even to a boomerang era gixxer or an old rear end carbed sv650, nevermind the litany of historical greats like the vfr400 and such. There are fewer and fewer places willing to deal with non efi motos.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The boomerang gixxer also ended in 1995, almost 30 years ago. The SRAD era of gsxr is mostly unchanged, yes.

Slavvy posted:

Random modern bikes I think are somewhat interesting: mt09, R1, v4 Aprilia, super duke, streetfighter, t7, zx4

I would be up for trying any of those out.
A sicko part of me wants to build a bug eye r1 for long distance touring but lollmao i'd rather do it on a bicycle at this point.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
pair is extremely common and a pain right in the rear end when it gets old. My bike had it. the wr with injection also had it. For it had a kludge of a cold start system despite being efi. It had a thermobulb with a coolant supply that acted as a choke valve aka a idle air control valve. Mine didn't work right and the fix was to idle it for a minute so it wouldn't stall or buy an entire throttle body.

Those with carbs are old as poo poo now, have had 9 owners and 80 thousand miles.
EFI when it is at that age, number of miles, and number of POs, is marginally in the same boat.

I am really glad that motos skipped poo poo like k-tronic, feedback carbs, chokeless venturis, and other batshit automotive systems. Though we did get our own batshit systems with cv slides and injectors, ala turn of the millennium yamaha poo poo.

The coast enricheners on the 950 are still in place, it's like $3 to rebuild em, or probably a weekend of time to jet the bike properly to work without. Not much else is there.

Phy posted:

Carbs are my go-to example for "elegance" in engineering that end up anything but elegant, precisely because of all the little changes that build up over time in order to get it to work as intended (and still requires manual dialling in). And the fate of all such systems is to be replaced by Brute Force And Ignorance devices like EFI, because then it can roll right out of the factory fully functional without having to train and pay someone to do a thing. To say nothing of hitting emissions targets by flatspotting at a magic rpm and throttle position.

This argument extends to internal combustion vs electric. Thousands of bespoke moving parts all moving in a symphony vs ... three. A rotor, and a pair of bearings.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Uhh what about the 3.5x1021 electrons per second my dude

Much like carburetors;
Try not to stick your dick in it and you'll be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

Filling up from the saddle is like peeing standing up (I kid)

You wake up covered in cold piss with a broken leg?
3/10 don't recommend, it gets in the way of riding.

I'll throw the side stand down but I'm probably not getting off the bike. If I don't do that then yeah there is risk of overfilling the dual fuel tanks but it just drains out into the belly pan that distributes the fuel all over the fuel island for me to ride over or whatever.
I've had cars catch fire enough that bike fires or flamin hot crotch doesn't really intimidate me enough to get off to fight the fuel tanks and the foreskin pumps at odd angles. Especially since the oddly designed tanks will puke fuel back out if the nozzle isn't aimed *just right* with just the precise amount of flow.