Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good stuff sage.

-Inu- posted:

I'm wondering if I'm gay if I want to ride a scooter. Thoughts?

I worried about this until I rode a burgman; now I just embrace the gay. Feels good and, despite some bad PR, amazingly comfortable for your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

To expand on this, skills you pick up on a dirt bike will translate to street riding. If you can handle a 250-cc thumper off-road and aggressively get around dirt trails, you will find street riding to be incredibly easy. This is a personal belief but I think that experienced off-road riders can "skip" the beginner bike (experienced meaning you can tear rear end down a trail, push the suspension to the limits over washboard trails and are considering your next brap to be a CR500).

The only question is why anyone that has access to awesome trails and such would give a crap about street riding, because you'll be longing for an open trail after sitting behind the SUV that sat through the green light twice looking at Pinterest.

Several reasons, like:

Being able to wheelie over the kerb and around the SUV

Getting tyre-melting sideways in corners that make sportbike riders whinge about cold tyres and stiff suspension

Wanting to go faster than 60km/h without feeling like you're gonna die

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ess-vid posted:

Fair enough. And yeah, I'm aware they wouldn't be Toyota level reliable (I guess the bike equivalent would be Honda?). I was more wondering if they were more Sportster "mostly gets the job done but make sure to give everything a thorough once-over often and be handy with a wrench", or more Ducati-Desmoduro-oh-god-this-costs-HOW-much territory.

I suppose I'm not particularly against the little "sport" bikes like the R3 and the Ninja. I'm just a bit leery of them as I can't so much as drive to the gas station without at least one blundering twuntwumpus taking deep and serious personal offense at my Abarth's very existence and going all clown car to "put me in my place", so the possibility of all of the same morons thinking that my cruising down the road means "that crotchrocket wants to race me!!!" sits in the back of my mind as I look at them.

If you want a car analogy a sportster is like a run-of-the-mill ford or gm product: mostly decent but has the occasional stupid poo poo, poor quality on some of the details and isn't really very good compared to a japanese equivalent, but that's simply because the bar is set so high.

A guzzi is like a rusty fiat from the 80's.

TheNothingNew posted:

This will happen every time you ride, everywhere, no matter the bike. Get past it, let them smoke you from a stoplight, none of it matters. Let go.

Also this. Also even a ninja 300 is faster off the line than the majority of cars (or drivers, at least) that will try to race you so really what's the problem here?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What you need to do is stop giving a poo poo about the dumb fucks in their cars (they'll be there and be dumb fucks regardless of what you ride) and just follow the OP, buy a good normal beginner bike and actually learn What The gently caress instead of trying to extrapolate into the future on the basis of gently caress all. You aren't the first car person to stumble into this forum and you won't be the last, and one seemingly universal thing about them is they all feel like they were massive idiots after riding a slow bike for a few months.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Take on a night job and wear a skirt. works for me.

Just the second one will do ya in most places, Dick Burglar.

No need for the added stress of two jobs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pooper Trooper posted:

Nice OP!

I'm curious about the use of earplugs while commuting in the city. Isn't it dangerous to muffle external sounds like sirens, horns and revving engines? I'd imagine that with the somewhat limited view from inside the helmet and the relatively small mirrors any extra world feedback would be useful.

Also, don't you actually HAVE to take driving lessons in the States? From what I've read in the OP it seems that the MSF is recommended but optional.

How about the 2017 Suzuki Van Van? I love its styling and it seems like a fun little bike to start with at 200cc and relatively low pricetag (around $4500 I think?)

They're good but the yuuge rear tyre makes them handle kind of weird.

Honda take on the same thing:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Loud Fart posted:

I did my MSF on a TW, it's a cool looking bike with big fat tires that you don't see that often. The most modern thing on it is the electric start. I did my test in November in a freezing wind so learning how to use the choke was mandatory. I loved how light it was, It ran over the 'bumps' you're supposed to stand up for like it was nothing. If you get on the throttle it will lift the front tire, but way slower than the the Yamaha dual sport others were riding.

The Bad. The seat is hard as gently caress. Maybe that's a dirt bike thing but I got tired just sitting in the saddle. The single cylinder goes bub bub bub bub and rattles your genitals until you finally get to go, and then do it again. *ugh*. The brakes are awful with a drum rear, and you have to grip the front brake like your life depends on it, because it does. The levers and switchgear are cheap and you're going to break something, no wreck required.

I kind of want one, Just for the big tires and low rpm torque the engine has. It's a shiftable scooter that can go offroad, and is probably a nice inner city bike, but the bub's, you're going to feel it.

You'd love a duke 640. All the comfort of a MX bike with one of the most punishingly shaky singles I've ever seen. 250's are a pleasant tickle by comparison.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I fondly remember the first time I got down the street and around the corner, opened the throttle, then immediately turned around and went home to check if the balance shaft and god knows what else were all still the right way around. They feel genuinely broken even by thumper standards.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A ninja 300 is not a sportbike in any respect. It's a normal everyday bike with sporty looking clothes on. 500 miles on a genuine sportbike is pretty punishing. Swapping a seat on a sportbike in the name of comfort is probably one of the most futile things I've heard of.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TBH all the things I used to think were hard and fast rules are more like stern guidelines so you don't gently caress up too badly and when you know what you're doing you can take that poo poo with a grain of salt...

...except looking where you want to go. Nobody who ever rode a bike in the history of man was exempt from that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's just the deposit on the Ben Spies suit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pilot activs last a loving long time but have garbage grip if you're really pushing it. They're like the definition of a solid commuter tyre with no sporting aspirations. Much more important is if they're square or not and their age.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know the intricacies of pilot activ grip limits vs a ninja 500's potential mechanical grip, but I can safely say if you're brand new to this the only thing you're likely to overwhelm in a corner is yourself. Even a mediocre bike with mediocre tyres will corner way, way faster than you think is even possible. Keep them pumped up to the right pressure and look where you want to go, if you fall over there is 0% chance that the tyres will be to blame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm looking to take the msf in the next month or so, and after nosing around for a bit (~5 months) I've become enamored with a white/red cb500f. How stupid would it be to get something with a bit more power than a ninja 300 and what looks like a ruler flat torque curve for a new rider? I daily drive a manual so I'm used to thinking about a clutch all the time, but I know that's not the same at all as a motorcycle.

You'll be fine, just be aware that the 500 is a lot heavier and this may or may not matter to you depending on how big/strong/tall you are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

also that shadow spirit's passenger seat is only there to make lawyers happy. I swear there's still a rectangular dent in my rear end a decade later. No one should subject someone to that drat seat unless they know what they are getting into.

Let me tell you about a little something called italy.

Note the passenger pegs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spouse posted:

So, a big thanks to everyone in this and all the threads here. I just officially hit one month of having my own bike, 1st month of riding, 1700~ miles in, and only one drop (lost the front wheel pulling into a gravel driveway too fast), and one already lost license plate (motorcycles vibrate a lot more than I thought they would and threadlocker is your friend).

Corners that were terrifying on my first few days are now taken with ease, the bike feels like it's "mine" now and this being my first manual vehicle, I now shift without even thinking about it. I also know for any sort of hard/twisty riding I massively underspent on initial gear (except my jacket), but it all works perfectly for commuting.

I can feel myself climbing mount stupid on the dunning-kruger graph fast, but I'm trying to temper it knowing that I'm still a dumbdumb and overestimating my skill will get me in trouble fast. Either way, this thread is great, you guys are great, and I appreciate all the advice. :) Now to tempt myself daily browsing cycletrader, and try as best I can not to trade up to a poor lesson in risk management.

Keep doing what you're doing!

What kind of bike have you got?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To add to the above: you do have a master link, it's just a rivet type instead of a clip type. Look for the one with slightly different looking pins. If not then you have the extremely rare factory endless chain but I've only seen those like twice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get a ninja 250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It could be fine, or it might not be. My 350 starts on the first kick every time, except when it doesn't. Realistically, that bike appears to be in decent shape -- certainly better than the average bucket of parts "cafe racer" on Craigslist. But it's still a forty-year-old motor vehicle with everything that entails.

Just get a ninja 250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did you guys not get an efi 250?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The headlights on the first one are triggering my fuckwit alarm really badly. Second one looks way nicer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

theKGEntleman posted:

Passed my M1 and on to purchasing my first bike! Thoughts on this 95' ninja for the first 6-12 months?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/6184053511.html

Those tyres look suspiciously old and poo poo so budget that in but otherwise looks ok.

Can you really pick up a tidy ex500 for $1500 over there? Seeing poo poo like that makes me want to kill myself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also don't think too hard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How about instead of spending money on a bigger dick you could instead spend money on some super sticky tyres and some springs and valves for your bike and realise just how loving fast 50hp can really be while also improving yourself as a rider?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're a teacher so you do good carrot but I only know stick sorry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheNothingNew posted:

This, man. Reorient. You don't replace the whole computer, you find out how it works and what's holding you back, then upgrade that. (Note to my past self: it's the hard drive. Stop messing with memory timing multipliers and splurge on an SSD.)

There is so much poo poo to learn on a cheap bike. Replace spark plugs. Check your valves. Clean and balance your carbs. Replace your brake and clutch lines. Replace all your fluids. Replace your brake pads (and maybe rotors) if they need it.

Working on a bike is actually fun, unlike working on a car. At least for me.

And if you feel like you really need to spend money, start looking at better gear. Can always spend more on gear.

edit: wider tires aren't necessarily "better." They're more stable at high speeds, but make the bike less flickable around corners.

I went from working on cars for a living to working on bikes for a living and believe me they're more fun for everyone.

Also I really, really like narrow tyres. 190 section rears make a bike feel like a loving truck. On the road agility, sure-footedness and gently caress-up-forgivingness trump outright grip/contact patch. It takes a lot of effort to get temperature into the tyres on a modern 600/1000 sportsbike and you have to go so fast to get to the threshold of being able to feel what the tyres are doing that there's no point and it isn't fun at all. Nursing the thing over every mid-corner bump at 1/4 throttle is just frustrating and terrible IMO.

spouse posted:

Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm looking at replacing my shocks and springs now, and I looked up stock springs and they're wayy underweighted for me. Apparently the stock is a 300# spring, I need a 500 or 550 (weigh 240lbs).

Your mind will boggle. Pair that with a new set of the sportiest tyres you can find (for an ex500 that won't be very sporty but still) and you'll realise you've been using like 20% of what it can actually do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pilot streets are, as far as I can tell, a sporty looking tread pattern/profile from an older generation tyre with the finest chinese rubber on the outside. S20's would be a quantum leap from there but you would only really get the benefit when your skill is up to scratch and your suspension isn't laughably undersprung. How old are the michelins? Also as mentioned before, do all your engine maintenance stuff but also worth having a check of your head bearings and swingarm bearings as they can have a huge effect on how the bike corners. I know it seems overkill for a lovely learner machine but in reality it'll set you up for knowing what to do on basically any bike you buy, plus give you a baseline idea of what a working-condition bike feels like so you can form an accurate impression when buying in the future.

This rabbit hole has no bottom so be prepared for that too. Hope you don't like having other hobbies!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Either of those tires would be fine, but I don't think you can get them in the proper size for your bike? Look this up yourself to be sure, but the data I'm finding says that a 1995 Ninja 500 has 110/70-17 front, 130/70-17 rear. Those are skinny high-profile bias-ply tires -- particularly in the rear -- while the radials you're looking at are made for more powerful modern sportbikes with fatter wheels.

You're unlikely to be able to find the top-performing race rubber for your wheels, but that doesn't really matter much because you aren't going to be dragging a knee any time soon (probably). Some people online will tell you oh, you can totally run this tire instead of that, and the wheel is only this wide but you can stretch that one, and so on, but IMO that's junk. I would rather run a slightly less fancy tire of the correct size than try to fit on an improperly sized "better" tire, especially when you're just starting out.

Try something like the Pirelli Sport Demon or the Continental Conti Go.

Do not ever buy contigo's, they are rock hard and utterly gripless at the slightest hint of moisture.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

I have not ridden one but I don't see the appeal of VFRs, they look very heavy for what they bring to the table

Like many, many other bikes they're significantly more than the sum of their parts and looking at specs on paper tells you nothing about them. They're just a really well sorted package in every way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get a sex change, all the serious riders do it. Either you're commited to the ride life or you aren't.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

Compel your nads to shrink through sheer force of will

Maybe a sports bra would help?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two up on a ninjer 250 even if both of you know what you're doing is agony at best, a bunch of luggage doesn't remotely compare to the way a human being affects handling. Passengers only don't suck on roadbarge bikes with low COG's that can't corner that fast to begin with so you don't miss out on anything. Stability at basically any cost. Also kind of fun on the big BMW's which are so heavy and well-adapted that they feel almost normal with two people.

On every other bike it's made me feel really, really nervous because the performance envelope shrinks so badly. The ability to evade road hazards especially, because you have to do poo poo so slowly to avoid destabilizing the bike.

In that sense I guess you can't really gently caress it up because if you stay away from huge bikes as a learner, you also automatically stay away from pillion riding because it sucks so hard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Are you trying to tell me relationships are built on trust and compromise????

Almost all of them are built on five minutes worth of decision making followed by months/years worth of rationalising that initial choice. People get into relationships for downstairs-related reasons and by the time that's worn off and they realise they're hosed, it's too late to disengage because of marriage/kids/whatever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just say what I see around me, maybe you americunts have a fundamentally different approach :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I never said any of that stuff but ok.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You couldn't be hosed understanding what I'm saying so why should I bother?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

please do not argue in the newbie thread, this is a safe space

Shut up mom!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That chain kit is fine.

For your rear disc, which does sweet gently caress all work, I'd get the cheapest one that fits.

To set your cable play properly, loosen it off completely at the lever, then set them adjustment at the perch to have a little bit of slack, then at the lever. The knurled knob at the lever is just for fine tuning the slop, the main adjustment is down on the case.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's a good point I forgot to mention, you absolutely need some wobbly slack at the end of the travel or your poo poo will slip.

People use clip master links all the time and no disasters happen, it's not exactly a powerful bike. I'm basing my judgment pretty much exclusively on DID stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DID chains like what you'd buy for a 600SS are what they use in motogp so I dunno about cheap. Good value more like.