Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I have an odd situation.

I currently don't have a car (I ride my bicycle anyplace I need to go) but due to a convoluted set of circumstances I can get my hands on a motorcycle for basically free. The problem is that I've never ridden one in my life and the closest MSF classes are over an hour away by (non-existent) car so I'd have to go the permit -> practice -> license at the local BMV route instead.

The motorcycle is a Suzuki Boulevard C50, which seems like a pretty powerful and kind of intimidating bike, and I was wondering if there are any self-taught goons who had any advice for me.

I know it's kind of a vague question but I do appreciate any thoughts on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Skreemer posted:

It'll add to the cost, but could you "uber" or "lyft" for the two days the course happens?
Do you have a Harley dealer close by? Most Harley dealers run a riding class also that their instructors are certified by the MSF. You'll have to sit through a bunch of sales pitches but if it works better, so be it.
If you decide to go the self taught route there are a boatload of MSF class videos online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results
If you do go the self taught route, go slow and practice a lot.

I would not recommend a C50 to practice on especially if you're doing it completely on your own. The drat thing weighs 540 pounds and the second time you lay it over, you'll be sick of trying to pick it up. If you can borow something lighter for a bit, that would be the way to go.

Unfortunately the courses are out of the question. There is a dealer relatively nearby but it doesn't look like they do anything like that. Your youtube link is broken but I found the online courses, thank you for mentioning that. And yeah, I plan on taking it very slowly and carefully. I'm excited to learn but not that dumb. I'm a pretty big guy and my job involves a lot of heavy lifting so I'm not terribly worried, although hopefully I'm not laying the bike down too often in the first place. We'll see.

So on that note I went ahead and got my permit earlier today.. There was a question on the test about where your feet should be when stopped at a stop light. Unless I misread and am misremembering the question, the answer was that your feet should stay on the pegs but I don't know how you would do that without really good balance?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

[quote="Fanelien" post=""471586013"]
For future reference at lights the ideal position is bike running in first gear, clutch in, left boot on ground, right boot on peg holding the rear brake to hold the bike in place(and let the dickhead drivers know you are stopped/stopping). This allows you the least fartarsing around to take off from the lights should some other vehicle appear in your rear view and has conveniently forgotten to stop before the back of your bike.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's how I understood it from my reading, which is why I was confused that I got that question wrong. I guess I must have misunderstood what it was asking.